ZH Classifieds
ZH Files
ZH Staff
WFTDA 12/1/2014 Rules
WFTDA 3/1/2014 Rules

Donate

Please Support Zebra Huddle!

Recent Posts

October 27th Savannah, Georgia- Blocktoberfest Junior Scrimmage Refs needed by TerryT
October 19, 2018, 01:46:12 am

Low Down Throw Down 2019 - May 3-5 - Augusta, GA by Damn Yankee
October 15, 2018, 10:33:04 pm

Re: Directional While Straddling by Vanilla VICE
October 03, 2018, 03:14:54 pm

Re: Directional While Straddling by Garrotin Keillor
September 22, 2018, 06:03:12 am

Directional While Straddling by HELLvis
September 15, 2018, 11:52:16 pm

Re: Ref and NSO shirts for sale by Renzi06
September 11, 2018, 10:48:43 am

Re: "Unofficial" Referee Code of Conduct by Garrotin Keillor
September 10, 2018, 05:11:19 am

Re: "Unofficial" Referee Code of Conduct by HELLvis
September 07, 2018, 06:25:47 pm

Re: "Unofficial" Referee Code of Conduct by Axis of Stevil
September 06, 2018, 07:30:56 pm

"Unofficial" Referee Code of Conduct by HELLvis
September 06, 2018, 05:06:33 pm

Author Topic: Inside White Board Markings  (Read 25172 times)

Offline Doctor Skatan

• Stats Sheet: 2
  • Slightly less of a noob than I was yesterday...
Re: Inside White Board Markings
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2010, 05:42:14 pm »
I started making full penalty boards for the league I train with & plan on using velcro to stick markers to the board. My prototype works fine with multiple violent removals. No sliding & no mess.
Head Ref.
Glasgow Roller Girls (UK)

Offline Hi Refinition

• Stats Sheet: 0
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2010, 05:53:41 am »
I built for Arch Rival last season a light up penalty board.  I know many here on the huddle don't like such a thing but our refs and skaters love it.  They find it very easy to read how many minors and trips they have.  Yes, this has a greater chance of failure than a dry erase.  This is why I keep a whiteboard as a back up in the wings.

At scrimmages we use a large whiteboard that has a printed grid on it.  I've tried using the hash mark method but our ref find it easier to use the circle x method.  (Those that don't know it a minor = /, 2 minors = X, 3 minors = circle the X.)

I recently was at another league's first local bout and they did write down the penalty code for minors and trips.  I did explain that their system in time might have issues when a flood of calls starts coming in.  I did find it impressive how she was able to keep up.  She even would circle the trip in a different color when the skater was in the box to show the skaters has served her time. 
Hi Refinition
now with seven times the color and clarity over standard ref

Offline Poobah

• Stats Sheet: 1
  • I've got the biggest tiny car in the parade. *~[
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2011, 09:42:03 pm »
I used to use metal magnets that a skater picked me up from a craft store. While they did make things very visible and never fell off, the whole process was simply slower than using a dry-erase marker.

That said, there are magnetic dry-erase boards. With those you can have the best of both worlds. Have your leagues's skaters names printed up in easy to read font on magnets and hand-write the other league's in. Mark penalties down in marker. I don't feel you need to put the penalty code on the penalty board, just something like Xs in boxes to denote the numbers of minors and penalty minutes (NOT MAJORS!).
Grand Poobah
DerbyMatic/DNN
The Inner-Loopers
Roc City Roller Derby
ex-Sin City Stat Pack

Offline REFENSTEIN

• Stats Sheet: 3
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2011, 01:20:15 am »
Back in June 2010 I posted how we started putting the penalty codes on the white boards.  This season we have continued to do this.  Our penalty trackers and wranglers have the codes memorized.  We have cheat sheets posted on the back of the boards for visiting NSO's.  Our announcer can see both boards and now knows what minor each skater committed and can tell the crowd what happened.  Each bench is given a cheat sheet so they can see what their skaters did wrong.

From a ref perspective I can skate up to the board and look at it after the jam.  I know I called a cut and an elbow on black 69.  If I don't see an "X" and an "E" on that line then I know the tracker or wrangler missed it and it gets corrected.

The system is working well.

We have a projected penalty board system in the works but it is being held back due to funding.
Glass City Rollers - Head Referee
Toledo, Ohio

Offline Gimme Mo

« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2011, 03:26:10 pm »
Placing the actually penalty codes sounds like a good idea, but could lead to major problems in the long run.  We actually picked up a new way of marking our majors during the ref clinic held in Memphis last summer, and I think it was DJ Jazzy Ref who brought this up (Panti, Wood, Seer, Knot, could someone verify that for me, trying to give credit where it's due); the words "FOUL OUT" consist of exactly 7 letters.  For each major/box trip incurred, a letter is added.  Once you see FOULOUT, that skater is gone.  Its an easy visual for both the skaters and coaches.  As for minors, we do a circled x for minors; 1st minor - one slash, 2nd minor - another slash, 3rd minor - the X is circled.  Again, and easy visual representation that the skaters and coaches can see.
NSO
Memphis Roller Derby

Offline SeerSin

• Stats Sheet: 55
  • League Affiliation: Minnesota Rollergirls
  • Referee Certification Level: Level 5
  • NSO Certification Level: Not Certified
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2011, 05:59:20 pm »
I can't speak for who came up with the system since I first saw it in Memphis. But it's a good system and takes about 15 seconds to get the hang of it.

Offline rheffbutler

« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2011, 06:30:24 pm »
I built for Arch Rival last season a light up penalty board.  I know many here on the huddle don't like such a thing but our refs and skaters love it.  They find it very easy to read how many minors and trips they have.  Yes, this has a greater chance of failure than a dry erase.  This is why I keep a whiteboard as a back up in the wings.

At scrimmages we use a large whiteboard that has a printed grid on it.  I've tried using the hash mark method but our ref find it easier to use the circle x method.  (Those that don't know it a minor = /, 2 minors = X, 3 minors = circle the X.)

I recently was at another league's first local bout and they did write down the penalty code for minors and trips.  I did explain that their system in time might have issues when a flood of calls starts coming in.  I did find it impressive how she was able to keep up.  She even would circle the trip in a different color when the skater was in the box to show the skaters has served her time. 

I saw your board at your last double header and actually took pictures of it.  We would love to learn more on how you did it for our home bouts!
Rheff Butler
Twin City Derby Girls

Frankly my dear.......

Offline JoeXCore

• Superhero Member
  • Stats Sheet: 20
  • Will go anywhere to which I can afford to travel.
« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2011, 09:38:11 pm »
I'm not keen on the FOUL OUT method as it takes a good bit of space and FOUL OUT and FOUL OU look very similar.

My preferred method is simply showing the number of penalty turns.

1 penalty turn = 1
2  = 2
... etc
Black n Bluegrass Roller Girls - head referee
MRDA Recognized Refree

Offline mick hawkins

• Superhero Member
  • Stats Sheet: 61
  • They're covers people. Helmet COVERS!
  • Referee Certification Level: Not Certified
« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2011, 01:25:25 am »
...they did write down the penalty code for minors and trips.  I did explain that their system in time might have issues when a flood of calls starts coming in. 

we write the codes for both minors and minutes on the whiteboard

our whiteboarder doesn't seem to have any trouble keeping up
(neither does our single penalty tracker*)

I don't think it's any harder to write codes on the board than on the tracking sheet

some skaters say it's useful too
some fans like to take photos of the board at the end of the game, noting what the skaters were penalised for

*oh how i love a single penalty tracker
Sun State Roller Girls (WFTDA Apprentice League)
Brisbane, Australia

Offline Shaun Ketterman

• Stats Sheet: 42
  • Rush Zeta Epsilon Beta! ZEEBS! ZEEBS! ZEEBS!
  • League Affiliation: Rollergirls of Central Kentucky (ROCK)
  • Referee Certification Level: Level 3
« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2011, 04:06:03 am »
I've been trying to devise a good system to tally the jams off that a player who causes a call-off by being injured must take.  I think I've come up with one that covers all concerns and wanted to see if anyone had any input or a better way of doing it.

1. The player is injured and the jam is called off.  The inside white board NSO marks 3 small Xs to the right of her number vertically.

2. As each jam passes an X is erased and replaced with an O.  After the last jam off passes, the player has 3 vertical Os to the right of her number.  These stay there in case a second jam is called off due to her injury.  They are erased at the end of the period.

3. If the player is injured again that period and the jam is called off, the 3 Os are filled in to signify she cannot return to the track for the rest of the period.  They are erased at the end of the period.
WFTDA Level 3 Certified Referee
MRDA Recognized Referee
Zebrahuddle.com Moderator
Head Referee, Rollergirls of Central Kentucky
Lexington, Kentucky

You can call me "Shaun". My shirts say "Ketterman" because they're sports jersies. Only kids and mascots put first names on jersies!

Offline Insane Troll Logic

• Stats Sheet: 1
  • League Affiliation: Atlanta Rollergirls
  • NSO Certification Level: Level 2
« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2011, 11:57:59 pm »
I'm not keen on the FOUL OUT method as it takes a good bit of space and FOUL OUT and FOUL OU look very similar.

If the skater is still in the game, then it's at FOULOU. If it reaches FOULOUT, the skater should be gone.

And Gimmie Mo, you probably did get it from Jazzy. To the best of my knowledge it was developed by the ARG ref, Freddie Chopin'.
Breakin' rocks in the hot sun...

Offline mick hawkins

• Superhero Member
  • Stats Sheet: 61
  • They're covers people. Helmet COVERS!
« Reply #26 on: April 05, 2011, 12:29:30 am »
I've been trying to devise a good system to tally the jams off that a player who causes a call-off by being injured must take.  I think I've come up with one that covers all concerns and wanted to see if anyone had any input or a better way of doing it.

I've given this job to line-up trackers.
They record when a jam is called off for a particular skater... and who's lining up on the track for each jam.

I figured they'd be in the best position to note when a skater was eligible to return after sitting out 3.
It's worked ok so far.

Only negative might be that they aren't in close proximity to the HR - in the event that an OTO needed to becalled at the last second to resolve an issue.
Sun State Roller Girls (WFTDA Apprentice League)
Brisbane, Australia

Offline Invader Grim

« Reply #27 on: April 25, 2011, 10:44:33 pm »
My league used a full board at our last game, and we marked down major penalty codes.  We had quite an abundance of NSOs (we require our freshies to help NSO ;]), so it wasn't a hassle.  We were able to have two people assigned to the board, working with our wrangler and penalty trackers.  Everyone loved the board, especially the teams.  It was way easier for them to understand and see than a 3-board.

Offline Major Wood

• Administrator
  • Has Too Much Damn Time Member
  • Stats Sheet: 77
  • League Affiliation: Nashville Rollergirls
  • Referee Certification Level: Level 5
« Reply #28 on: April 25, 2011, 10:47:51 pm »
I haven't seen a 3 board in a VERY long time. If any of you are still using one, please, please, please, switch to a full penalty board.
Your friendly Zebra Huddle admin.

Nashville Rollergirls Head Ref
WFTDA Level 5 Certified Referee

I speak only of my opinions and interpretations.

Offline Invader Grim

« Reply #29 on: April 26, 2011, 12:11:15 am »
Lots of leagues that I've worked for still use a 3 board (a SMALL 3 board, too!).  As soon as I started working as a penalty tracker and paying more attention to the 3 board, I thought it was kind of archaic.  I quickly had my league switch to a full board.  3 boards are just so hard to see, and kind of a pain to keep track of.  Plus I love how much more information is readily available with a full board.

Featured Product

Zebra Huddle Head Referee Bout Booklet

Featured Classifieds

ZH Files

How to Score a Point in Roller Derby
Rating: *****
Downloads: 2530
Views: 4171
Filesize: 327.61KB
Date: January 17, 2017, 04:21:03 am
Comments (0)
By: AdamSmasher
June 2013 Ruleset situational questions
Downloads: 1943
Views: 4046
Filesize: 29.71KB
Date: February 07, 2014, 04:57:32 pm
Comments (2)
By: Crash Test Ref
Rules Q&A and Publications for 6/15/13 Document
Rating: (None)
Downloads: 2073
Views: 4531
Filesize: 26.27KB
Date: August 02, 2013, 04:10:40 pm
Comments (0)
By: Shaun Ketterman
Rules Q&A and Publications for 1/1/13 Document (4/24/13 Updates)
Downloads: 2914
Views: 4602
Filesize: 28.07KB
Date: April 25, 2013, 05:45:34 pm
Comments (0)
By: Shaun Ketterman