Re: "Pincer" blocks = multipayer? by Bluebeard
July 11, 2019, 06:30:49 pm

"Pincer" blocks = multipayer? by Rego_Derby
July 11, 2019, 01:08:36 am

Re: Jammer Scoring Theory by Major Wood
June 26, 2019, 09:59:33 pm

Jammer Scoring Theory by Rego_Derby
June 25, 2019, 04:30:03 am

Author Topic: Pre-Bout Meeting and other Head Ref advice  (Read 53200 times)

Offline Major Wood

• Administrator
  • Has Too Much Damn Time Member
  • Stats Sheet: 77
  • League Affiliation: Nashville Rollergirls
  • Referee Certification Level: Level 5
  • NSO Certification Level: Not Certified
Pre-Bout Meeting and other Head Ref advice
« on: February 07, 2009, 04:45:09 am »
I'm head-reffing my first bout tomorrow and working through what I want to talk about during the pre-bout ref and captains meeting.
Is there anything that any of you have felt is especially good to mention?
Your friendly Zebra Huddle admin.

Nashville Roller Derby Head Ref
WFTDA Level 5 Certified Referee

I speak only of my opinions and interpretations.

Offline Johnny Zebra

• Stats Sheet: 40
Re: Pre-bout meetings
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2009, 02:24:50 pm »
Let's do this -- start a list, and everyone in their response copy the list below and add their items. That way this will be an easy to reference resource for all time.

So:

===========

Ref Meeting:

1. Stress to the outside refs how they need to stay on the jammer if she's on the outside and communicate to the jammer ref anything about her status - jammer refs depend on them! (Johnny Zebra)
etc

===============

Captains Meeting:

1. Inform them of the need to adhere to timeouts as timed; explain consequences for not doing so. (Johnny Zebra)
etc
===============
Johnny Zebra
WFTDA Certified Referee (Level 3)
WFTDA Rules Q&A Working Group
Gotham Girls Roller Derby
Zebra Huddle Moderator

Offline Jessticular Fortitude

• Referee
  • Stats Sheet: 27
  • SOLID
  • Referee Certification Level: Level 2
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2009, 03:24:04 pm »
===========

Ref Meeting:

1. Stress to the outside refs how they need to stay on the jammer if she's on the outside and communicate to the jammer ref anything about her status - jammer refs depend on them! (Johnny Zebra)
2. Tell the outside refs what formation they're doing- half lap skate and wait, full lap, etc. (I inevitably have to ask every time because they never think to tell us) (Jessticular Fortitude)

===============

Captains Meeting:

1. Inform them of the need to adhere to timeouts as timed; explain consequences for not doing so. (Johnny Zebra)
2. Explain what will happen if they cuss out the crowd, refs, skaters, flip the bird, etc. so they know up front. (Jessticles)
Hey look, a search function! Right up there! No on the left

Perhaps we should all spend a little more time reading and a little less time making shit up.

Offline ttjustice

• Stats Sheet: 18
  • And Justice for All!
  • League Affiliation: Ohio Roller Girls
  • Referee Certification Level: Not Certified
  • NSO Certification Level: Level 2
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2009, 04:57:08 pm »
===========

Ref Meeting:

2. Tell the outside refs what formation they're doing- half lap skate and wait, full lap, etc. (I inevitably have to ask every time because they never think to tell us) (Jessticular Fortitude)
3.  Don't forget to use hand signals when relaying penalties to whiteboards/ trackers.  Speak loudly and clearly, especially if trackers are new. (Timothy T. Justice).

===============

Captains Meeting:

2. Explain what will happen if they cuss out the crowd, refs, skaters, flip the bird, etc. so they know up front. (Jessticles)
3. Remind them where the penalty box pass line is/ penalty for not using it and stress "communication from the box" rules being used at that bout (especially if non-wftda). (Timothy T. Justice).
Timothy T. Justice
Ohio Roller Girls Head of Officiating 2011-2013
Retired Level 3 Skating Official
WFTDA Rules Theory Clerk

Offline Johnny Zebra

• Stats Sheet: 40
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2009, 05:35:04 pm »
===========

Ref Meeting:

3.  Don't forget to use hand signals when relaying penalties to whiteboards/ trackers.  Speak loudly and clearly, especially if trackers are new. (Timothy T. Justice).
4. Mouth guards. Policy for calling. Make sure all refs enforce it the same way (Options here: http://zebrahuddle.com/index.php?topic=104.0)  (Johnny Zebra)

===============

Captains Meeting:

3. Remind them where the penalty box pass line is/ penalty for not using it and stress "communication from the box" rules being used at that bout (especially if non-wftda). (Timothy T. Justice).
4. Mouth guards. Policy for calling. (Johnny Zebra)
5. Explain/decide policy for skater formation at beginning of the jam to make sure everyone understands how it works (Johnny Zebra)
===============
Johnny Zebra
WFTDA Certified Referee (Level 3)
WFTDA Rules Q&A Working Group
Gotham Girls Roller Derby
Zebra Huddle Moderator

Offline Death by Roxy

• Stats Sheet: -4
  • GMDD ref
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2009, 06:49:55 pm »
Ref Meeting:

4. Mouth guards. Policy for calling. Make sure all refs enforce it the same way (Options here: http://zebrahuddle.com/index.php?topic=104.0)  (Johnny Zebra)
5. Determine who and when does the skater equipment check (I know this should be a given but a reminder for fledgling leagues) Death by Roxy

===============

Captains Meeting:

5. Explain/decide policy for skater formation at beginning of the jam to make sure everyone understands how it works (Johnny Zebra)
6. Equipment check as above Death by Roxy
Green Mountain Derby Dames

Offline bronco

• Stats Sheet: 9
  • rules and stripes forever!
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2009, 08:12:41 pm »
Ref Meeting:

5. Determine who and when does the skater equipment check (I know this should be a given but a reminder for fledgling leagues) Death by Roxy
6. Reconfirm that any ref can call a major on any player and call the jam off at anytime, but only jam refs can call minors against jammers (Bronco, per WFTDA best practices)
7. Establish procedure to start the pack (jam timer or head ref starts, hand up 5 or 10 seconds before, hand down on pack start or jam start) (Bronco)

===============

Captains Meeting:

7. Determine exactly who will be allowed to talk with the head ref, and that the team communicates through their C&A's to only the head ref (Bronco)
8. Reinforce that you want to see a fair and safe bout - this makes it easier to approach the coaches/captains later about safety issues (Bronco)
... Ref. Bronco

Offline DayGlo Divine

• Stats Sheet: 39
  • Fighter of the Night Man, Champion of the Sun
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2009, 11:17:52 pm »
Ref Meeting:

6. Reconfirm that any ref can call a major on any player and call the jam off at anytime, but only jam refs can call minors against jammers (Bronco, per WFTDA best practices)
7. Establish procedure to start the pack (jam timer or head ref starts, hand up 5 or 10 seconds before, hand down on pack start or jam start) (Bronco)
8. Going back to number 1, stress to the jammer refs that they should look for input from the outside pack refs when the latter are in position to see a pass near the outside line. (DayGlo)
9. If there are new people in NSO rules, make sure that they are comfortable with the jobs they've been assigned, and if they aren't (or have any questions), address those after the meeting. (DayGlo)

===============

Captains Meeting:

7. Determine exactly who will be allowed to talk with the head ref, and that the team communicates through their C&A's to only the head ref (Bronco)
8. Reinforce that you want to see a fair and safe bout - this makes it easier to approach the coaches/captains later about safety issues (Bronco)
9. Explain jammerless jam procedure and remind captains that the last jam of the period will end at its natural conclusion; believe it or not, it still sometimes needs to be explained. (DayGlo)
WFTDA Certified Referee (Level 2)
Charm City Roller Girls
Opinions expressed here are mine. Not WFTDA's, not Charm City's, and not those of Zebra Huddle as a whole.

Offline bronco

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2009, 06:21:54 pm »
Hey Major - how did it go?
... Ref. Bronco

Offline Major Wood

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2009, 07:03:14 pm »
Hey Major - how did it go?

Very well. It was a pretty laid back bout. A blowout, so no big controversies. I've gotten a lot of compliments on how well I communicated with the benches when necessary.

To stay on topic in here, I also got a lot of compliments on how professionally I conducted the pre-bout meetings. I got through a lot of material in a short amount of time. I think I was also able to convey that I was going to be reasonable, but would not tolerate any form of disrespect.
I have a few things that I can add to the list above, but will wait until I have my notes in front of me.

Offline Major Wood

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2009, 11:14:06 pm »
Ref Meeting:

8. Going back to number 1, stress to the jammer refs that they should look for input from the outside pack refs when the latter are in position to see a pass near the outside line. (DayGlo)
9. If there are new people in NSO rules, make sure that they are comfortable with the jobs they've been assigned, and if they aren't (or have any questions), address those after the meeting. (DayGlo)
10. Seemingly obvious one, but it does come up. All questions should be directed to the head ref. (Major Wood)

===============

Captains Meeting:

9. Explain jammerless jam procedure and remind captains that the last jam of the period will end at its natural conclusion; believe it or not, it still sometimes needs to be explained. (DayGlo)
10. Explain that there is very little time between jams to do what you need, so requests for official review must be brief. (Major Wood)

Offline bronco

« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2009, 12:59:44 am »
Glad to hear all went well!

This is a really good list - is there a way to preserve it in a sticky thread or "best of"?  That would make it easy for the newbies to find and keep us from launching the same threads over and over.  In the meanwhile, I'll be using it.
... Ref. Bronco

Offline Major Wood

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2009, 03:05:40 am »
I've been toying with the idea of doing a sticky thread with links to important threads. Once I figure out the best way to do it, I'll go ahead with it.

Offline Miranda Wrights

• Stats Sheet: 2
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2009, 07:35:19 pm »
Please and absolutely make this a sticky--it is essential reading for new (terrified) head refs like me.  I'm working on a summary of the great advice on NSOs from another thread and will repost it as well.  Perhaps both can be stickied.
Miranda Wrights
Head Ref
Hellions of Troy (Troy NY)

Offline Major Wood

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2009, 07:39:35 pm »
I will likely start a thread that will be sticky with links to informative thread like those.

Featured Product

Zebra Huddle Head Referee Bout Booklet

Featured Classifieds

ZH Files

How to Score a Point in Roller Derby
Rating: *****
Downloads: 3958
Views: 6522
Filesize: 327.61KB
Date: January 17, 2017, 04:21:03 am
Comments (0)
By: AdamSmasher
June 2013 Ruleset situational questions
Downloads: 2575
Views: 5337
Filesize: 29.71KB
Date: February 07, 2014, 04:57:32 pm
Comments (2)
By: Crash Test Ref
Rules Q&A and Publications for 6/15/13 Document
Rating: (None)
Downloads: 2774
Views: 5968
Filesize: 26.27KB
Date: August 02, 2013, 04:10:40 pm
Comments (0)
By: Shaun Ketterman
Rules Q&A and Publications for 1/1/13 Document (4/24/13 Updates)
Downloads: 3570
Views: 5957
Filesize: 28.07KB
Date: April 25, 2013, 05:45:34 pm
Comments (0)
By: Shaun Ketterman