Re: "Pincer" blocks = multipayer? by Bluebeard
July 11, 2019, 06:30:49 pm

"Pincer" blocks = multipayer? by Rego_Derby
July 11, 2019, 01:08:36 am

Re: Jammer Scoring Theory by Major Wood
June 26, 2019, 09:59:33 pm

Jammer Scoring Theory by Rego_Derby
June 25, 2019, 04:30:03 am

Author Topic: NSOs on skates?  (Read 18443 times)

Offline Wernher

• Referee
  • Stats Sheet: 2
  • League Affiliation: Minnesota RollerGirls
  • Referee Certification Level: Level 4
  • NSO Certification Level: Not Certified
Re: NSOs on skates?
« Reply #30 on: May 26, 2010, 10:17:51 pm »
But skates are just footwear, if you're not moving around the track in them, are you really skating?

Which then begs the question of why are you wearing skates, then? And then there's still that whole Non-Skating Official thing...

In a situation, as referenced earlier, with staggered bouts where the person is skating one, but not the other, and, for whatever reason, getting out of the gear is not a practical option.

I know I'm getting nitpicky, but having shoes with wheels on them does not make you referee any more than having Air Jordans makes someone a NBA player. It seems to me the important thing about the NSO as being non-skating is that the person is not mistaken by anyone as a skating referee, and if there's something that plainly physically identifies them as being in the NSO position, I guess I'm not seeing the problem, if the logistics of the event demands it. I'm not saying across the board here, I'm just saying I can understand why some leagues do it that way.
Wernher Von Bombed
Assistant Head Ref
Minnesota RollerGirls

Offline Brad Religion

• Stats Sheet: 7
  • Referee Certification Level: Not Certified
« Reply #31 on: May 26, 2010, 11:43:49 pm »
I can't understand why they'd want to do staggered bouts to begin with. I guess if someone wants to penalty track while standing there in roller skates and all their safety gear I wouldn't care?
Bleeding Heartland Roller Girls
Bloomington, IN

Offline Brother Grim

• Stats Sheet: 6
« Reply #32 on: May 27, 2010, 03:46:49 am »
I think as far as flexibility goes here, why not apply it to the starting time of the bout? Surely it would be less of a hassle for the bout to start 30 seconds later to accomodate someone removing their skates than have this argument.

And as for finding a place to change, at the venue we currently use the refs get changed in a hallway. I sit in the penalty box to get my gear on. And I bet other people have worse stories than that. As Dayglo said it takes no time to do it, and if it needs to be done then why not make it work?
Brother Grim

Offline Vermin Skum

• Stats Sheet: 1
« Reply #33 on: May 27, 2010, 06:44:19 am »
I can't understand why they'd want to do staggered bouts to begin with. I guess if someone wants to penalty track while standing there in roller skates and all their safety gear I wouldn't care?

We will sometimes stagger the bouts to keep people in the seats for the whole night of bouts. In the past, people have left after one, or shown up late just to see the other.
VERMiN SkuM 208
Treasure Valley Rollergirls
Boise ID
Head Ref
Spudtow Knockdown 2010

Offline Stegoscorus

• Stats Sheet: 51
  • STOP. Collaborate, and listen.
  • League Affiliation: Rose City Rollers
  • Referee Certification Level: Level 3
« Reply #34 on: May 27, 2010, 07:37:45 am »
B - how do you always remember everything?!  You are talented.  I stand by the statement you quoted, in general and in this instance. 

I also agree with Vermin Skum that the situation he describes is not ideal, but also not something I'd lose sleep over. 
WFTDA Certified Referee - Level 3
Founding Member, ARROW
Portland, OR, U.S.A.

Offline Professor Murder

• Stats Sheet: 42
  • Insert Witticism Here.
« Reply #35 on: May 27, 2010, 12:42:21 pm »
A few things.

1) Words mean what words mean.  Non-skating means non-skating.  This semantic ballet to claim that "non-skating" means it's ok to wear skates is wearing tiresome - this is related to the second point.

2) We're spending a *lot* of time arguing over the amount of time required to essentially take off shoes and swap a shirt - 40 seconds?  50 seconds?  Fewer?  This is a preposterous rationale for not removing skates.  One I simply don't believe holds any credibility - otherwise you're telling me that within 30 seconds of the end of Game1Period1 Game2Period2 begins.  No time for Game 1's participants to leave, putz around for a moment; no time for game intros, no time to jam in "bout production" stuff like kids on tricycles or shirt guns or things to eat up time.  This argument rests on the premise that those who don't swap gear don't have 30 seconds.  And I simply don't believe that.
Philly Roller Girls
WFTDA Interim Games Officer
WFTDA Certified Referee: Level 5
"100% Less Dancing" - Dr. Vroom

Offline Wernher

• Referee
  • Stats Sheet: 2
  • League Affiliation: Minnesota RollerGirls
  • Referee Certification Level: Level 4
« Reply #36 on: May 27, 2010, 05:40:24 pm »
Again, I'm talking about situations where it's clearly not an ideal situation. But simply, I just want to know if the rules for NSOs accommodate for those situations. Want an example? I don't have one - I could make something up if you want. Maybe something with lakes of fire and alligator pits in the dressing areas.  ;D
Wernher Von Bombed
Assistant Head Ref
Minnesota RollerGirls

Offline Darkjester

• Has Too Much Damn Time Member
  • Stats Sheet: 39
  • "When in doubt, RTFM"
  • League Affiliation: Beach Brawl SK8R Dolls
  • Referee Certification Level: Not Certified
« Reply #37 on: May 28, 2010, 01:53:53 am »
WFTDA Sanctioned or Certified Bouts?
No

Non-WFTDA bouts, League/HR Discretion.

BTW, I'm a "Hefty" dude, it takes me more than 1 min to undo my skates/shirt, but I still wouldn't wear skates while NSO'ing.

Madness Tolls
69¢
Beach Brawl Sk8R Dolls
Fort Walton Beach FL

Offline Gravity Kills

• Stats Sheet: 3
  • Obey Gravity. It's the law.
« Reply #38 on: May 29, 2010, 04:41:02 pm »
The solution we had for a quick swap of shoes/skates (last year I had skaters from the doubleheader games working the bout they weren't skating) was to let them keep their skates in the middle, tucked under our table.  Allowed for a faster change from shoes to skates, kept everyone happy.

The last time I let an NSO stay on skates, she got hit by a skater, her feet went out from under her, and she wound up with a concussion.  In this particular situation, had she been in shoes, she could have gotten out of the way with a single big step.  I want my squad to be as maneuverable and safe as possible.
--Gravity Kills
Roc City Roller Derby

"Gravity is a harsh mistress."

Offline Brother Grim

• Stats Sheet: 6
« Reply #39 on: May 30, 2010, 04:06:46 am »
The solution we had for a quick swap of shoes/skates (last year I had skaters from the doubleheader games working the bout they weren't skating) was to let them keep their skates in the middle, tucked under our table.  Allowed for a faster change from shoes to skates, kept everyone happy.

The last time I let an NSO stay on skates, she got hit by a skater, her feet went out from under her, and she wound up with a concussion.  In this particular situation, had she been in shoes, she could have gotten out of the way with a single big step.  I want my squad to be as maneuverable and safe as possible.

+1 for a helpful suggestion and prime example of a safety issue.
Brother Grim

Offline DayGlo Divine

• Stats Sheet: 39
  • Fighter of the Night Man, Champion of the Sun
« Reply #40 on: May 30, 2010, 07:15:50 pm »
Just to add to this, there's nothing that says NSOs can't wear elbow and knee pads. Those are the most time-consuming things to put on besides skates, so having them on makes a big dent in the time it takes to gear up.
WFTDA Certified Referee (Level 2)
Charm City Roller Girls
Opinions expressed here are mine. Not WFTDA's, not Charm City's, and not those of Zebra Huddle as a whole.

Offline Poobah

• Stats Sheet: 1
  • I've got the biggest tiny car in the parade. *~[
« Reply #41 on: June 03, 2010, 05:04:46 pm »
It also sounds like it would be unsanctioned if you're splitting bouts and mixing periods, which means 4.0 doesn't apply as you're not playing by it.

WFTDA 4.0 rules have not applied nor been official since November 30th. The December 2009 (and the current May 2010) rules are official rules releases, not simply updates or clarifications.
Grand Poobah
DerbyMatic/DNN
The Inner-Loopers
Roc City Roller Derby
ex-Sin City Stat Pack

Offline Gravity Kills

• Stats Sheet: 3
  • Obey Gravity. It's the law.
« Reply #42 on: June 03, 2010, 06:21:24 pm »
It also sounds like it would be unsanctioned if you're splitting bouts and mixing periods, which means 4.0 doesn't apply as you're not playing by it.

WFTDA 4.0 rules have not applied nor been official since November 30th. The December 2009 (and the current May 2010) rules are official rules releases, not simply updates or clarifications.

I think what he was getting at was that since you're already not playing by WFTDA rules, you may as well do whatever the heck you want.
--Gravity Kills
Roc City Roller Derby

"Gravity is a harsh mistress."

Offline Pat-E-Rat

• Stats Sheet: 4
  • It's official
« Reply #43 on: June 03, 2010, 06:38:08 pm »
Essentially.  Without the nudity and virgin sacrafice perhaps...  Not so much on the stagdered bouts which Noidd pointed out my brain farted and are legal and common, but yeah, not a sanctioned bout; have at it.
Pat-E-Rat
Head Ref
River City Rollergirls
Richmond, VA

Offline Jiminey Stick-It

• Stats Sheet: 0
« Reply #44 on: June 03, 2010, 09:58:40 pm »
Several people in our league have tried running clipboards on skates.  I can say that every one of us had a helluva time writing legibly in those itty-bitty boxes while wearing wristguards.  As someone already mentioned, if you're gonna wear skates you'll probably have to wear all your gear for insurance purposes.  It'll be way easier to just take them off and put them back on again later.

Featured Product

Zebra Huddle Head Referee Bout Booklet

Featured Classifieds

ZH Files

How to Score a Point in Roller Derby
Rating: *****
Downloads: 3980
Views: 6576
Filesize: 327.61KB
Date: January 17, 2017, 04:21:03 am
Comments (0)
By: AdamSmasher
June 2013 Ruleset situational questions
Downloads: 2587
Views: 5364
Filesize: 29.71KB
Date: February 07, 2014, 04:57:32 pm
Comments (2)
By: Crash Test Ref
Rules Q&A and Publications for 6/15/13 Document
Rating: (None)
Downloads: 2788
Views: 6002
Filesize: 26.27KB
Date: August 02, 2013, 04:10:40 pm
Comments (0)
By: Shaun Ketterman
Rules Q&A and Publications for 1/1/13 Document (4/24/13 Updates)
Downloads: 3582
Views: 5987
Filesize: 28.07KB
Date: April 25, 2013, 05:45:34 pm
Comments (0)
By: Shaun Ketterman