ZH Staff
WFTDA 12/1/2014 Rules
WFTDA 3/1/2014 Rules

Donate

Please Support Zebra Huddle!

Recent Posts

Ohio Roller Derby Home Season by Stray Taco
January 04, 2019, 10:12:22 pm

Cincinnati Rollergirls 2019 Home Season by bmd (2113)
December 11, 2018, 05:06:50 pm

Re: 4.1.1 Intiator of Illegal Target Zone by AdamSmasher
November 15, 2018, 01:32:07 pm

Re: Intentionally not reporting to the penalty box and return to the track by AdamSmasher
November 15, 2018, 01:23:11 pm

Intentionally not reporting to the penalty box and return to the track by constanza
November 13, 2018, 06:57:39 pm

4.1.1 Intiator of Illegal Target Zone by Rego_Derby
November 07, 2018, 01:14:35 am

Nashville Rollergirls 2019 Scrimmage-A-Thon - 2/2/2019 by Major Wood
November 05, 2018, 07:49:04 pm

October 27th Savannah, Georgia- Blocktoberfest Junior Scrimmage Refs needed by TerryT
October 19, 2018, 01:46:12 am

Low Down Throw Down 2019 - May 3-5 - Augusta, GA by Damn Yankee
October 15, 2018, 10:33:04 pm

Re: Directional While Straddling by Vanilla VICE
October 03, 2018, 03:14:54 pm

Author Topic: NSO shirts?  (Read 37976 times)

Offline Major Wood

• Administrator
  • Has Too Much Damn Time Member
  • Stats Sheet: 77
  • League Affiliation: Nashville Rollergirls
  • Referee Certification Level: Level 5
  • NSO Certification Level: Not Certified
Re: NSO shirts?
« Reply #30 on: January 12, 2011, 07:10:07 pm »
We bought grey and black police duty shirts for our NSOs this year (our ref squad is the 19th Wardens).  I found patches that look a bit like a militarized version of our league logo, and the full-time NSOs have their names on the back.  We're considering picking up patches of the ref squad logo and putting them on the sleeves.

I'm interested to see these shirts... :)

I agree on the no-logo business - the officials, in whatever capacity, should show no bias toward any team or skater, in any regard. That's just common sense right?

One would think...
Your friendly Zebra Huddle admin.

Nashville Roller Derby Head Ref
WFTDA Level 5 Certified Referee

I speak only of my opinions and interpretations.

Offline Stegoscorus

• Stats Sheet: 51
  • STOP. Collaborate, and listen.
  • League Affiliation: Rose City Rollers
  • Referee Certification Level: Level 3
« Reply #31 on: January 12, 2011, 10:57:34 pm »
Windy City Rollers' NSOs wear black WCR shirts with their derby names on the back.  It was something that started before interleague play really existed.  This year we're keeping that tradition for our intraleague bouts, since everyone playing is a Windy City Roller, and the shirt just identifies them as a part of the league.  But we will probably switch to the pink WFTDA NSO shirts for interleague bouts.
WFTDA Certified Referee - Level 3
Founding Member, ARROW
Portland, OR, U.S.A.

Offline Sintax

• Stats Sheet: 3
  • Presuming legal intent since 2009.
  • League Affiliation: South Side Derby Dolls, Australia
  • Referee Certification Level: Not Certified
« Reply #32 on: January 13, 2011, 12:18:28 am »
We are still a ways off from being able to organise actual shirts for officials - can anyone see issues with screen printed patches that get safety pinned onto the back of black T shirts?

Safety pins are forbidden for skaters but not mentioned for officials. I wouldn't feel safe on skates with pins on my back but can't think of too many issues for NSOs.
Over-thinking is a good thing.

Referee and Master of Officials, skating with South Side Derby Dolls, Australia.

Offline Noah Tall

• Stats Sheet: 25
« Reply #33 on: January 13, 2011, 02:43:06 am »
Before we could afford NSO shirts, we just asked everyone to show up in their own black tshirt.  Worked fine.  There's no rule that says the back of the shirt needs to say NSO.
WFTDA Ref Rep
WFTDA AP Area Coordinator
Arkansas

"We may not be skilled, but at least we're impartial!"

Offline REFENSTEIN

« Reply #34 on: January 15, 2011, 03:11:39 pm »
Our NSO crew has developed their own logo unique from the league logo.  Like Detroit.  They refer to themselves as the stat rats so the logo is a rat with a pencil in it's mouth.

With respect to safety pins.  IMO NSO's should be held to the same standards as everyone else.  No pins.  Lead by example.
Glass City Rollers - Head Referee
Toledo, Ohio

Offline Stegoscorus

« Reply #35 on: January 15, 2011, 08:12:55 pm »
With respect to safety pins.  IMO NSO's should be held to the same standards as everyone else.  No pins.  Lead by example.

I agree.  If you're having a logo printed on a patch of fabric, why not ask everyone to provide their own shirt and print it on that?  Cheapos like me can find a shirt at the thrift store.  OR still print the logo on a patch and sew it onto a shirt rather than safety pins.
Founding Member, ARROW
Portland, OR, U.S.A.

Offline Sintax

• Presuming legal intent since 2009.
  • League Affiliation: South Side Derby Dolls, Australia
  • Referee Certification Level: Not Certified
« Reply #36 on: January 15, 2011, 10:29:27 pm »
Yep, Refenstein, get leading by example. And agree.

Only concern with getting shirts to print it on or sewing it onto shirts, Stego, is the current lack of solid NSO team, mostly we go with volunteers and get new faces each time.

I think the crew has decided we'll just stick with black shirts for now and give it more thought down the line.
Over-thinking is a good thing.

Referee and Master of Officials, skating with South Side Derby Dolls, Australia.

Offline Sven WillIBeFamous

• Stats Sheet: 2
« Reply #37 on: January 17, 2011, 12:45:38 pm »
I quite like the idea of getting High-vis vest/waistcoats Printed with NSO on the back for a couple of reasons:

a) they are generally one size fits all;
b) they are unlikely to clash with a team or people in the crowd;
c) they can go over the top of someones existing clothing without the need for them to go and get changed somewhere.
d) they are easy to pick out from crowds.
HelP!MYSPaceBarANDCapsLOCkaREBroKen!

Offline Poobah

• Stats Sheet: 1
  • I've got the biggest tiny car in the parade. *~[
« Reply #38 on: January 23, 2011, 09:34:03 pm »
Being the NSO penalty tracker its insane sometimes just tracking one team.  I can't imagine doing both teams with just one tracker. 

I HATE single penalty tracker. Both for the reason you mentioned and because the sheets used for single penalty trackers are almost unreadable once completed.

After East Region Playoffs I had MANY instances where I more or less had to guess which penalty had been called. This was after the tournament was ended and people were impatiently awaiting my submission of the stats.

I doubt RulesComm cares much about how folks doing data entry feel about this, so I'm liable to make it so that the single penalty tracker sheet is designed to be printed on a 8.5x17 sheet (and only includes the first 14 skaters, not 16 or 20).

Grand Poobah
Roc City Roller Derby
WFTDA Stats Revisioning
Grand Poobah
DerbyMatic/DNN
The Inner-Loopers
Roc City Roller Derby
ex-Sin City Stat Pack

Offline Gimme Mo

• Stats Sheet: 0
« Reply #39 on: January 24, 2011, 03:30:40 pm »
We've been using the tracker/wrangler system at Memphis since last years Stomp and we really like it.  Our tracker uses a BIG clipboard with both full penalty sheets attached.  The single sheet is just too tiny.  So long as both your wrangler and tracker are fairly well versed in the different penalties, hand signals, and codes, they should be fine. 
NSO
Memphis Roller Derby

Offline SmackTavish

• Stats Sheet: 1
« Reply #40 on: August 03, 2011, 03:42:36 pm »
Sorry to resurrect an old topic, but our league is new. Why does the WFTDA use pink shirts for NSOs? Where is that in the rules? (It is for the ref stripes but not for the NSOs, as far as I see.)

I ask because pink is the secondary color (albeit a fuchsia in hue) for one of our three teams. Members of the all teams have either assumed one of the NSO staff is rooting for the pink team (before knowing that person was an NSO), or expressed concern that we look like we're showing favoritism to them.

I know ultimately our league leadership team will rule on the color to wear (and I assume we'll have to resign ourselves to wearing pink) but I feel like wearing pink shows a bias within our league that we don't intend.

Has another league had this problem? How was it resolved? By the way, we are not WFTDA and I do not know of any intention to become such although we use their rulebook for our bouts.
--SmackTavish

Brandywine Roller Girls Head NSO

Offline SeerSin

• Stats Sheet: 55
  • League Affiliation: Minnesota Rollergirls
  • Referee Certification Level: Level 5
« Reply #41 on: August 03, 2011, 04:09:13 pm »
Pink shirts for NSOs are required for the Big 5 WFTDA Tournaments. Because of that many WFTDA leagues have adopted their use as well. However it's not a requirement beyond the Big 5. We use a simple gray tshirt with "Bout Official" on the back and a WFTDA patch on the front.

Offline Shaun Ketterman

• Stats Sheet: 42
  • Rush Zeta Epsilon Beta! ZEEBS! ZEEBS! ZEEBS!
  • League Affiliation: Rollergirls of Central Kentucky (ROCK)
« Reply #42 on: August 03, 2011, 04:44:18 pm »
I don't enforce any dress code beyond no derby team logos for my NSOs. 

Colors don't really come into it for me.  In my estimation, a color is a color and no team can claim sole ownership of it outside of their 14 players in relation to the opposing 14 players in the context of a bout.  ROCK's main color is black and it would seem silly and pointless to me to try to enforce all of my NSO volunteers to wear no black as well as no whatever the opposing team was wearing.

If they'll do their jobs well, not wear derby team logos and not cheer or heckle, I'm satisfied.   
WFTDA Level 3 Certified Referee
MRDA Recognized Referee
Zebrahuddle.com Moderator
Head Referee, Rollergirls of Central Kentucky
Lexington, Kentucky

You can call me "Shaun". My shirts say "Ketterman" because they're sports jersies. Only kids and mascots put first names on jersies!

Offline GraphicContent

• Stats Sheet: 0
« Reply #43 on: August 05, 2011, 01:43:38 am »
...We use a simple gray tshirt with "Bout Official" on the back and a WFTDA patch on the front.

The NSOs in Memphis wear this shirt for the most part.  If not that one, then a blank grey shirt if need be.  Most of us avoid the full on pink shirt, well ya know, b/c it's all pink.  One of our teams does have pink as one of their colors, but even if an NSO wore that shirt I doubt anyone would think of it as favoritism.
NSO | Memphis Roller Derby
www.billynation.com

Offline Stegoscorus

« Reply #44 on: August 05, 2011, 06:38:30 am »
Why does the WFTDA use pink shirts for NSOs? Where is that in the rules? (It is for the ref stripes but not for the NSOs, as far as I see.)

Pink is the color of the WFTDA.  Like others have said, this practice started at tournaments, then became the official dress code for WFTDA tournaments, then a lot of leagues started using it to keep it simple.

Besides being the color of the WFTDA, pink is a noticeable color, so it makes officials easy to pick out of a crowd if you need one fast.  Obviously for leagues whose colors include pink, it could pose the problems you're talking about.  There is nothing in the rules to dictate what NSOs wear, so feel free to choose another type of shirt.  This thread is full o' suggestions!
Founding Member, ARROW
Portland, OR, U.S.A.

Featured Product

Zebra Huddle Head Referee Bout Booklet

Featured Classifieds

ZH Files

How to Score a Point in Roller Derby
Rating: *****
Downloads: 2970
Views: 4577
Filesize: 327.61KB
Date: January 17, 2017, 04:21:03 am
Comments (0)
By: AdamSmasher
June 2013 Ruleset situational questions
Downloads: 2105
Views: 4336
Filesize: 29.71KB
Date: February 07, 2014, 04:57:32 pm
Comments (2)
By: Crash Test Ref
Rules Q&A and Publications for 6/15/13 Document
Rating: (None)
Downloads: 2269
Views: 4844
Filesize: 26.27KB
Date: August 02, 2013, 04:10:40 pm
Comments (0)
By: Shaun Ketterman
Rules Q&A and Publications for 1/1/13 Document (4/24/13 Updates)
Downloads: 3055
Views: 4877
Filesize: 28.07KB
Date: April 25, 2013, 05:45:34 pm
Comments (0)
By: Shaun Ketterman