ZH Classifieds
ZH Files
ZH Staff
WFTDA 12/1/2014 Rules
WFTDA 3/1/2014 Rules

Donate

Please Support Zebra Huddle!

Recent Posts

Re: Clamping down with the upper arm by bmd (2113)
June 12, 2019, 07:54:29 pm

Re: Ref facepaint by Major Wood
June 12, 2019, 04:16:34 pm

Re: Ref facepaint by Rego_Derby
June 11, 2019, 11:35:08 pm

Re: Ref facepaint by Axis of Stevil
June 10, 2019, 06:56:10 pm

Re: Ref facepaint by Major Wood
June 10, 2019, 01:49:04 pm

Ref facepaint by Rego_Derby
June 09, 2019, 03:38:38 pm

Re: Answering a directional with forearms by Major Wood
April 30, 2019, 07:44:47 pm

Answering a directional with forearms by Rego_Derby
April 30, 2019, 05:56:20 pm

Re: Yielding to the opposite side of the track by Bluebeard
April 22, 2019, 07:21:28 pm

Yielding to the opposite side of the track by MyBabyDaddy
April 21, 2019, 03:22:45 am

Author Topic: NSO shirts?  (Read 40012 times)

Offline P!st0l-P3t3

• Stats Sheet: 0
  • League Affiliation: Perth Men's Derby, Dread Pirate Rollers
  • Referee Certification Level: Not Certified
  • NSO Certification Level: Not Certified
Re: NSO shirts?
« Reply #60 on: July 19, 2013, 03:46:01 am »
Is it okay to wear a pink NSO t-shirt with a WFTDA patch logo on it, even if officiating at a non-sanctioned bout?

Unless your head NSO tell you otherwise, it sure is. I proudly wear a WFTDA patch when working any game, sanctioned, regulation, non-regulation, juniors.

If you are affiliated with a WFTDA member league.

Ok.

I'm NSO'ing at an inter-league bout, between my new league (not yet part of WFTDA), and my old league (WFTDA apprenticed). The reason I am NSO'ing is so I'll be 'neutral'- I want to be there for my league teammates but I don't want give an awkward vibe to my old league. And I admit some of my favourite jammers are on the opposite team.

I used to NSO a lot for my old league, and did in fact receive the WFTDA patch logo from them. I guess I could say I had the NSO shirt with the logo on it, and since it's my only pink shirt (the required uniform colour), that I'd wear it?
Brand new to the radical world of refereeing.
Skating & NSO'ing since October 2012.

Offline Numb3r Crunch3r

• Stats Sheet: 13
  • League Affiliation: Sun State Roller Girls
  • Referee Certification Level: Level 2
« Reply #61 on: July 19, 2013, 04:36:45 am »
Is it okay to wear a pink NSO t-shirt with a WFTDA patch logo on it, even if officiating at a non-sanctioned bout?

Unless your head NSO tell you otherwise, it sure is. I proudly wear a WFTDA patch when working any game, sanctioned, regulation, non-regulation, juniors.

If you are affiliated with a WFTDA member league.

Ok.

I'm NSO'ing at an inter-league bout, between my new league (not yet part of WFTDA), and my old league (WFTDA apprenticed). The reason I am NSO'ing is so I'll be 'neutral'- I want to be there for my league teammates but I don't want give an awkward vibe to my old league. And I admit some of my favourite jammers are on the opposite team.

I used to NSO a lot for my old league, and did in fact receive the WFTDA patch logo from them. I guess I could say I had the NSO shirt with the logo on it, and since it's my only pink shirt (the required uniform colour), that I'd wear it?

I really strongly protest to the wearing of the patch in this situation especially.

Not only is it wearing a patch that indicates affiliation with a league you are no longer with, it's also wearing a patch while involved in a bout that *includes* that old league.

To anyone who sees you at that game, whether they know you personally or not, that patch not only indicates a WFTDA involvement, it also indicates that you are affiliated with the old, WFTDA member/AP league. That you are an NSO who is representing that league, and their standards/WFTDA membership.

I understand NSOing as it gives you an impartiality on the night and allows you to walk the awkward line between old league and new league. However wearing the patch grossly misrepresents your current affiliation between the leagues involved in the bout.

Effectively - if I was to watch a bout between a WFTDA league and a non-WFTDA league, and I saw an official with a patch on - if I was going to provide feedback on that official, I would immediately assume that they are a member of the WFTDA league in question, and I would direct that feedback to the WFTDA league.

If that feedback is positive - it's a misunderstanding at best, but one that could have been avoided. If that feedback is negative, it's created a view in my mind that at least one official associated with that WFTDA league is not 'up to par' in my opinion, and it lowers my view of that league in the general sense. Wearing the patch, especially at this bout, is opening you up to accusations of misrepresentation, especially from the WFTDA league you've just left, which will likely find itself answerable for any issues that arise while you're wearing the patch you're no longer eligible to wear.

Offline The Gorram Reaver

• Referee
  • Stats Sheet: 60
  • League Affiliation: Mad Rollin' Dolls
  • Referee Certification Level: Level 2
« Reply #62 on: July 19, 2013, 11:20:16 am »
Moreover, wearing that patch while you are no longer a member of a league whose members are entitled to wear said patch is a direct violation of WFTDA policy regarding that patch.  If the wearing of that patch by a non-authorized individual were to come to the attention of WFTDA, there is a chance that the incident could hurt your opportunities for advancement or participation within WFTDA's officiating structure.

Yes, I know, it's a pain to have to remove something you've already painstakingly attached to your shirt once, especially when you may wind up being able to put it back on again soon.  But please, take the patch off or buy a different pink shirt.  You are not currently eligible to wear it.
The Gorram Reaver
Mad Rollin' Dolls, Madison, WI

Offline Dire Wolff

• Stats Sheet: -1
  • Dire Wolff, 600 Laps of Sin
« Reply #63 on: September 14, 2013, 01:06:39 am »
A bit late, but I'd like to add to this.

I understood that there are three two scenario's in which you might be wearing WFTDA patches.

Either you are affiliated to a WFTDA league and can wear the patch at any time. So at games organized by your own league, but equally so at games organised by other (non-wftda) leagues. I  might not wear the patch at times I would be officiating games under a different rules set (not relevant for me right now, but you never know).

Or you are affiliated to WFTDA as a certified official, but unaffiliated to any WFTDA league in particular, same rules apply as being affiliated to a league (when it comes to wearing a patch that is).

Or you are not affiliated to a WFTDA league but happen to work a bout/event they organise and they provide the uniforms. A good example would be the NSO shirts provided by the WFTDA host, to be returned after the bout.

-- Edited to add Certified official option --
-- Edited again to strike same third option based on Silken Tofu's correction --
« Last Edit: September 14, 2013, 03:39:49 pm by Dire Wolff »

Offline SilkenTofu

• NSO
  • Stats Sheet: 4
  • League Affiliation: Bleeding Heartland Rollergirls
  • Referee Certification Level: Not Certified
  • NSO Certification Level: Level 5
« Reply #64 on: September 14, 2013, 03:35:32 pm »
Only officials affiliated with a WFTDA league can wear a member patch. Certified officials with apprentice leagues wear the green apprentice patch. Certified unaffiliated officials (or certified officials from non-WFTDA leagues) wear only cert patches, no member or apprentice patch--because they are not part of a member or apprentice league.
Bloomington, IN
WFTDA Level 5 Certified NSO
WFTDA Clinic Instructor, WFTDA Officials Committee member
MRDA Certification Committee

Featured Product

Zebra Huddle Head Referee Bout Booklet

Featured Classifieds

ZH Files

How to Score a Point in Roller Derby
Rating: *****
Downloads: 3156
Views: 4984
Filesize: 327.61KB
Date: January 17, 2017, 04:21:03 am
Comments (0)
By: AdamSmasher
June 2013 Ruleset situational questions
Downloads: 2257
Views: 4655
Filesize: 29.71KB
Date: February 07, 2014, 04:57:32 pm
Comments (2)
By: Crash Test Ref
Rules Q&A and Publications for 6/15/13 Document
Rating: (None)
Downloads: 2416
Views: 5185
Filesize: 26.27KB
Date: August 02, 2013, 04:10:40 pm
Comments (0)
By: Shaun Ketterman
Rules Q&A and Publications for 1/1/13 Document (4/24/13 Updates)
Downloads: 3201
Views: 5208
Filesize: 28.07KB
Date: April 25, 2013, 05:45:34 pm
Comments (0)
By: Shaun Ketterman