Re: "Pincer" blocks = multipayer? by Bluebeard
July 11, 2019, 06:30:49 pm

"Pincer" blocks = multipayer? by Rego_Derby
July 11, 2019, 01:08:36 am

Re: Jammer Scoring Theory by Major Wood
June 26, 2019, 09:59:33 pm

Jammer Scoring Theory by Rego_Derby
June 25, 2019, 04:30:03 am

Re: Clamping down with the upper arm by bmd (2113)
June 12, 2019, 07:54:29 pm

Re: Ref facepaint by Major Wood
June 12, 2019, 04:16:34 pm

Re: Ref facepaint by Rego_Derby
June 11, 2019, 11:35:08 pm

Re: Ref facepaint by Axis of Stevil
June 10, 2019, 06:56:10 pm

Re: Ref facepaint by Major Wood
June 10, 2019, 01:49:04 pm

Ref facepaint by Rego_Derby
June 09, 2019, 03:38:38 pm

Author Topic: NSO shirts?  (Read 40482 times)

Offline Rogzilla

• Stats Sheet: 0
  • Referee Certification Level: Not Certified
  • NSO Certification Level: Not Certified
NSO shirts?
« on: May 25, 2010, 01:07:55 pm »
Last night the league merch manager asked me if the NSO crew would be interested in shirts, I said yes. I've been mulling ideas for how to make them "official" enough vs. building some elements of the league's branding into the design. (For some idea of what this looks like, check out http://gardenstaterollergirls.com/.)

My first idea was a black shirt with "NSO" in large block letters on the back, in the "Irish Green" color that matches our logo. On the front, on the left chest would be a palm-sized league logo, nothing too obtrusive.

I realize that if we ever volunteer for a WFTDA tournament we would be wearing their pink shirts instead of our own, but for regular bouts against other leagues, do you think anyone would have issue with a design like this?
« Last Edit: May 25, 2010, 01:13:25 pm by Rogzilla »
Head NSO, Garden State Rollergirls
North Arlington, New Jersey, USA

Offline noidd

• Stats Sheet: 28
  • Start with 100% accuracy and get better over time.
Re: NSO shirts?
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2010, 01:52:36 pm »
Our NSOs used to wear our standard black T-Shirts with the word "Official" on the back.

Personally, I would prefer no league branding, but that's me.
--
Referees are not here to legislate, dictate, pontificate or participate.  We are there only to facilitate.

Offline Professor Murder

• Stats Sheet: 42
  • Insert Witticism Here.
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2010, 02:17:40 pm »
Nope.  Detroit was one of the first leagues I saw who began the practice of custom, standardized NSO shirts.  Cincinnati started this practice this year as well.

There's an informal norm that tends to frown upon team/league logo shirts - which is part of what led to NSO crews designing their own.  Not everyone wears pink save for tournament play. 
Philly Roller Girls
WFTDA Interim Games Officer
WFTDA Certified Referee: Level 5
"100% Less Dancing" - Dr. Vroom

Offline Noah Tall

• Stats Sheet: 25
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2010, 02:20:24 am »
Our NSOs wear black tshirts which say NSO on the front, and either "Derby Staff" or their derby name on the back if they are dedicated NSO crew.
WFTDA Ref Rep
WFTDA AP Area Coordinator
Arkansas

"We may not be skilled, but at least we're impartial!"

Offline Stegoscorus

• Stats Sheet: 51
  • STOP. Collaborate, and listen.
  • League Affiliation: Rose City Rollers
  • Referee Certification Level: Level 3
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2010, 07:10:50 am »
Our NSOs wear black T-shirts with the league logo on the front, and the word OFFICIAL on the back, with their derby name underneath.  If the printer hasn't finished their shirt by the time they work their first bout, they are asked to wear a plain black shirt.  This is how it's been done for a few years.  All of the refs have one of these shirts as well, in case we are needed in an NSO role for a bout. 

If it were up to me and the league had a bottomless pit of money, we'd have separate ones for interleague season that are collared and have the WFTDA patch on the front (still with OFFICIAL and derby name on the back). 

I like your idea of a smaller league logo on the front, Rogzilla, but I'd go with "official" over "NSO" because fans have no idea what NSO means. 
WFTDA Certified Referee - Level 3
Founding Member, ARROW
Portland, OR, U.S.A.

Offline Noah Tall

• Stats Sheet: 25
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2010, 01:00:04 pm »
We don't use our league logo on our NSO shirts, because we want to appear uniform and impartial.  We are NWA NSOs, we are WFTDA NSOs.  I think next season we'll look at getting patches for our dedicated NSOs.  That's a good idea.
WFTDA Ref Rep
WFTDA AP Area Coordinator
Arkansas

"We may not be skilled, but at least we're impartial!"

Offline Gravity Kills

• Stats Sheet: 3
  • Obey Gravity. It's the law.
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2010, 04:30:13 pm »
We bought grey and black police duty shirts for our NSOs this year (our ref squad is the 19th Wardens).  I found patches that look a bit like a militarized version of our league logo, and the full-time NSOs have their names on the back.  We're considering picking up patches of the ref squad logo and putting them on the sleeves.
--Gravity Kills
Roc City Roller Derby

"Gravity is a harsh mistress."

Offline DayGlo Divine

• Stats Sheet: 39
  • Fighter of the Night Man, Champion of the Sun
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2010, 07:27:13 pm »
Our standard practice is to have NSOs wear non-league-affiliated black shirts. It's simple, and it doesn't require people who don't NSO regularly to buy special shirts. We've never had a problem with them being mistaken for crowd members, or with anyone not taking them seriously. Might not work for everyone, but it works for us.
WFTDA Certified Referee (Level 2)
Charm City Roller Girls
Opinions expressed here are mine. Not WFTDA's, not Charm City's, and not those of Zebra Huddle as a whole.

Offline Poobah

• Stats Sheet: 1
  • I've got the biggest tiny car in the parade. *~[
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2010, 09:49:54 pm »
The rules tend to be on the vague side on this stuff, sometimes they're worded as suggestions (with the words "strongly encouraged"). I believe the intent is to get people pointed in the right direction while not coming out and forcing leagues in that direction when their local traditions and purchases might have gone in a different direction.

"9.4.2.1 Non-Skating Officials are strongly encouraged to dress in an un-obtrusive
uniform differentiating themselves from Referees."

What this means is that there is no hard and fast ban upon NSOs in ref shirts. The rules pretty clearly indicate it's not a preferred practice. There's also no ban on NSOs wearing camouflage, plaid or leopardskin pants (I used to wear some disgustingly tight ones), garish disco shirts, vintage suit jackets with shoulder pads, fezzes, Mickey Mouse hats, propeller beanies, skating helmets with viking horns, etc.

My thinking is that even with the required pink shirts (NSOs) and black shirts (stats) for tournaments, beyond using those as simple identifiers that nobody is going begrudge someone wearing their trademark headgear, fluorescent makeup or interesting shoes.

At some point down the road, they could change this a bit? Sometimes things stated as a suggestion now become a hard/fast requirement later on. I'm going to think this isn't one of those.

Put simply, unless something is really impacting the game or its public perception negatively, WFTDA tends to err on the side of allowing leagues and volunteers maximum flexibility.

There's no rules disallowing "sexy ref" Halloween costumes, nor stripes that look "non-standard." A referee could wear a zebra-striped shirt or dress. There's no rule banning this (if they're black and white). IMO there doesn't need to be one, either.

Every rules change that the Rules Committee drafts has to pass a vote of the reps from member leagues that are eligible to vote. Changes to these kinds of rules have a fairly marginal positive impact on the game, but could cause some leagues and individual volunteers not to be able to use some uniforms and get-ups that they've invested their money into. As such, I wouldn't expect much to happen in that direction.
Grand Poobah
DerbyMatic/DNN
The Inner-Loopers
Roc City Roller Derby
ex-Sin City Stat Pack

Offline Darkjester

• Has Too Much Damn Time Member
  • "When in doubt, RTFM"
  • League Affiliation: Beach Brawl SK8R Dolls
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2010, 05:23:09 pm »
As Poobah stated there is no "rule" just as their isn't a rule that Referee's must wear stripes, its only suggested that it be stripes.

However, that is a league decision for the most part.

Madness Tolls
69¢
Beach Brawl Sk8R Dolls
Fort Walton Beach FL

Offline DayGlo Divine

• Fighter of the Night Man, Champion of the Sun
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2010, 07:23:14 pm »
As Poobah stated there is no "rule" just as their isn't a rule that Referee's must wear stripes, its only suggested that it be stripes.

However, that is a league decision for the most part.

If I had my druthers, we'd all dress like Italian soccer refs.  ;D

Seriously, though, while I'm not a big fan of baby pink, I do see a point in standardizing NSO uniforms for interleague play. Think of how it would look and how confusing it would be if three refs from League 1 wore red soccer ref shirts, three refs from League 2 wore yellow ref shirts, and the League 3 ref who rounded out the roster brought a black and white shirt. No one would know what was going on. The same applies for NSOs. At an interleague or tournament bout, where NSOs may come from several places, not everyone may know who they are right off the bat, and that can be an issue when it comes to things like finding them before a bout or at halftime.

More pragmatically speaking, being able to identify people as NSOs would be really good in venues that are bathroom-challenged. Etiquette usually dictates that skaters and officials get to go to the front of the line, as they are on a tight timeline, and most people will yield way to anyone in a team uniform or ref shirt without blinking an eye. Unless they're in uniform, NSOs are not likely to get the same courtesy, even though they have the same time constraints. They look like anyone else, and sometimes people might assume that they're just being d-bags. While I've never had it happen to me, I've heard of it happening to others.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2010, 07:46:26 pm by DayGlo Divine »
WFTDA Certified Referee (Level 2)
Charm City Roller Girls
Opinions expressed here are mine. Not WFTDA's, not Charm City's, and not those of Zebra Huddle as a whole.

Offline Darkjester

• Has Too Much Damn Time Member
  • "When in doubt, RTFM"
  • League Affiliation: Beach Brawl SK8R Dolls
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2010, 11:11:58 pm »
I'd wear Italian soccer yellow for you anytime DG!

:o
Madness Tolls
69¢
Beach Brawl Sk8R Dolls
Fort Walton Beach FL

Offline ttjustice

• Stats Sheet: 18
  • And Justice for All!
  • League Affiliation: Ohio Roller Girls
  • NSO Certification Level: Level 2
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2010, 01:17:32 am »
The Rubber City Roller Girls have their NSO's wear safety yellow tee shirts with NSO on the back.  It works quite well as they are very easy to pick out of a crowd.
Timothy T. Justice
Ohio Roller Girls Head of Officiating 2011-2013
Retired Level 3 Skating Official
WFTDA Rules Theory Clerk

Offline Miss Trie

• Stats Sheet: 2
  • When you skate a perfect game, I'll call one.
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2010, 03:17:11 pm »
Our NSO's in Dixie wear dark grey shirts with "Bout Official" on the back.  It gives our crew a uniform & easy to find look. Very, very helpful during our annual tourney. If we're short on NSO shirts, they wear a plain dark grey or black shirt.

We don't allow them to wear any schwagg for the league(s) participating in a bout that day.
Dixie Derby Girls NSO
Huntsville, AL

Offline Dual.CannonZ

• Stats Sheet: 0
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2010, 01:51:31 am »
We have Black and Grey Bowling shirts with our names on the back. Visitors are encouraged to wear plain black.  Also since we are an apprentice league, we decided to go for apprentice green shirts with the word Official on the back.
Dual CannonZ - Referee & Head NSO

Featured Product

Zebra Huddle Head Referee Bout Booklet

Featured Classifieds

ZH Files

How to Score a Point in Roller Derby
Rating: *****
Downloads: 3219
Views: 5133
Filesize: 327.61KB
Date: January 17, 2017, 04:21:03 am
Comments (0)
By: AdamSmasher
June 2013 Ruleset situational questions
Downloads: 2320
Views: 4784
Filesize: 29.71KB
Date: February 07, 2014, 04:57:32 pm
Comments (2)
By: Crash Test Ref
Rules Q&A and Publications for 6/15/13 Document
Rating: (None)
Downloads: 2480
Views: 5336
Filesize: 26.27KB
Date: August 02, 2013, 04:10:40 pm
Comments (0)
By: Shaun Ketterman
Rules Q&A and Publications for 1/1/13 Document (4/24/13 Updates)
Downloads: 3256
Views: 5320
Filesize: 28.07KB
Date: April 25, 2013, 05:45:34 pm
Comments (0)
By: Shaun Ketterman