Re: "Pincer" blocks = multipayer? by Bluebeard
July 11, 2019, 06:30:49 pm

"Pincer" blocks = multipayer? by Rego_Derby
July 11, 2019, 01:08:36 am

Re: Jammer Scoring Theory by Major Wood
June 26, 2019, 09:59:33 pm

Jammer Scoring Theory by Rego_Derby
June 25, 2019, 04:30:03 am

Author Topic: NSO quota  (Read 10654 times)

Offline Rowan De Boate

• Stats Sheet: 0
Re: NSO quota
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2010, 02:46:17 pm »
Ref attendance requirements don't make a whole lot of sense to me. Most of the refs my league(s) deal with ref for multiple leagues. So either they practice with many leagues... and ref a lot of bouts... and are good enough to ref bouts that I staff, or they don't and they're not. I figure it's a job that needs to be done, and done well. If home refs aren't up to the task, I get someone else to do it.

I've worked with refs where it seemed like no many how many practices they made they weren't good enough. Those some "refs" (somewhat understandably) have gotten angry when I pulled someone from the crowd that completely quit reffing a month or two before to ref a bout, even though the home ref had made every practice for the last six months.\

But I guess you could count 3+ bouts a month and practices with multiple leagues as an attendance requirement.

we have recently( last 3 months or so) had another league start in adelaide.
until then the nearest league was about 600 miles away.
the only real way refs (in adelaide) have got experience and skills has been by being apart of ADRD.
even when we have more leagues in a resonable proximity, i suspect we may keep the attendance .
Adelaide Roller Derby (ADRD)
Adelaide Australia

Offline Cliquework

• Superhero Member
  • Stats Sheet: 55
  • EGO sum Speculum. Noxiae poena par esto.
  • League Affiliation: Demolition City Roller Derby
  • Referee Certification Level: Level 3
  • NSO Certification Level: Not Certified
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2010, 04:13:11 pm »
We also do not have NSO quotas for the fact that the skaters monthly training is cyclical. The first portion of a month may be more skills and drills. Endurance. As stated above, no need for NSOs at that point, other than the occasional meeting. THIS may be mandatory. As training ramps up towards scrimmaging during the cycle, NSOs have more of a purpose to attend practice. Additionally that cycle isn't 100% set, slightly shifting from week to week. As this is the case, it is difficult to assign quotas to NSOs.

If it were possible and scrimmaging were more consistent, I can't say I'd be opposed to some requirements. They aren't there to be difficult, but to ensure training and readiness. Those that are serious about their job would have no issues making them. It should be what they want to do.
Demolition City Roller Derby Head Ref
Evansville, IN
Zebra Huddle Moderator
WFTDA Refcert Checklist

Offline Jessticular Fortitude

• Referee
  • Stats Sheet: 27
  • SOLID
  • League Affiliation: Nashville Rollergirls
  • Referee Certification Level: Level 2
« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2010, 04:26:43 pm »
Can we please keep this discussion on actual NSO quota/attendance requirements that are in place in your league? We realize that there are very few of you, but that's the input we need because we're trying to develop a system here. Thanks!
Hey look, a search function! Right up there! No on the left

Perhaps we should all spend a little more time reading and a little less time making shit up.

Offline Cliquework

• Superhero Member
  • Stats Sheet: 55
  • EGO sum Speculum. Noxiae poena par esto.
  • League Affiliation: Demolition City Roller Derby
« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2010, 10:12:40 pm »
Fair enough. To relate it then:

I'm sure you've figured this, but it seems it would need to be a percentage, not of total practices, but of practices that NSOs could be utilized.

In our case this requires that when the skaters post weekly practice times, that they also post what they will be doing that week and when. In our case it's for the refs to know when they could be utilized best for actual scrimmages, but could also be applied the same for NSOs.

So regardless of what percentage is assigned, it seems it will all be reliant on how the skaters practice and open/early communication from them of what they will be doing when, to allow a reasonable amount of personal planning for NSOs to be able to show up and give them a reason to be there, as opposed to an arbitrary NSO attendance requirement. Again, the purpose of attendance requirment obviously to ensure training.
Demolition City Roller Derby Head Ref
Evansville, IN
Zebra Huddle Moderator
WFTDA Refcert Checklist

Offline Major Wood

• Administrator
  • Has Too Much Damn Time Member
  • Stats Sheet: 77
  • League Affiliation: Nashville Rollergirls
  • Referee Certification Level: Level 5
« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2010, 11:07:36 pm »
This is pretty much a non-issue for us. The practices in Nashville are highly structured, with specific days each week dedicated to the same things. Endurance, scrimmage, etc.
Your friendly Zebra Huddle admin.

Nashville Roller Derby Head Ref
WFTDA Level 5 Certified Referee

I speak only of my opinions and interpretations.

Offline Noah Tall

• Stats Sheet: 25
« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2010, 02:36:50 am »
This is pretty much a non-issue for us. The practices in Nashville are highly structured, with specific days each week dedicated to the same things. Endurance, scrimmage, etc.

*sigh*  A girl can dream...
WFTDA Ref Rep
WFTDA AP Area Coordinator
Arkansas

"We may not be skilled, but at least we're impartial!"

Offline Atomic Googolplexxx

« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2010, 04:35:12 pm »
I require my NSO's/Stats crew to be at all scrimmage practices unless i am notified in advance, I encourage them to show up to other practices if they are interested in learning different positions. having everyone show up for our scrimmages makes it easier to cross-train and be prepared if someone can not make it to a scrimmage or bout.
Atomic Googolplexxx
XXX Stats Crew
Head NSO/Stats
Vette City Roller Derby

Offline reflmao

• Stats Sheet: 21
« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2010, 06:09:30 pm »
Right now, we don't have enough NSOs to really impose a quota.  I ask that NSOs doing penalty tracking, penalty box, score, jam timing, and lineup show up to at least one of our weekly scrimmages in the month before a bout.  I try not to slot anyone in penalty tracking or scorekeeping who hasn't gone through at bare minimum 2-3 scrimmages.  We have a dedicated penalty box supervisor, and have trained up an assistant. 

Showing up at regular practices is fairly useless, as the skaters just do drills, thus leaving the NSOs looking on with no real practical reason to be there. 

I'll expand on what Gravity said.  Our charter was originally written to include that Penalty tracker, Score tracker, Penalty box main attendant and Jam Timer
needed to make 50% of scrimmages leading up to a bout, pass a written exam, and gain approval of peers.

Our league has a regular schedule so scrimmage day and time is well known.

But we really aren't able to get enough NSO's to make enough scrims so we had to modify our charter to allow our Head NSO discretion to assign NSOs that have made the other requirements but not attendance.
RCRD, Rochester, NY

Offline Typhoon Kerie

« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2010, 12:34:37 pm »
I am Head NSO here.  I am required to attend 3 scrimmages of 4 every month, Just like the refs.  I distribute paperwork at bouts, and explain your duties as a NSO, so I must also be able to perform all the positions.  I also make sure you are wearing the STAFF T-Shirt at bouts.  I am also working on my level one WFTDA stuff. 

IF i don't make my 3 I go on probation, If I don't make the 3 the next month I become inactive and  I cannot participate in the upcoming bouts. 

At games I distribute tracker clipboards, with pens/markers.  I also scrounge up fill ins if I don't have enough people show up, Usually we have enough respond to the email call for NSOs. 

We have 3 NSOs that show up to practice like I do, one is a ref recovering from an injury, and the other two of us are just learning to skate, but got bitten hard by the derby bug.  the rest of them are emailed about 2 weeks before a bout, asking if they want to participate, and the list of duties is made based on what you want/have previously done.  This late in the season I have people that have done the same position for every home bout this year.  I just started with this team in January or February, where I was before had none of this, though the head ref was looking for a few good people. 

Offline Orgasmic Chemistry

« Reply #24 on: October 24, 2010, 01:46:11 pm »
Fairbanks Rollergirls has a quota of 25% of scrimmage practices three months before the bout for NSO's. (50% for Refs)
The league scrimmages once per week.
I am Officials Chairperson for our league and the next handbook revision I plan on requesting that in addition to the 25% attendance, require NSO's (and Refs) to be at scrimmage practice the two scrimmages prior to the bout.
It drives me insane that people do not show up at scrimmages!!

Offline Stegoscorus

• Stats Sheet: 51
  • STOP. Collaborate, and listen.
  • League Affiliation: Rose City Rollers
« Reply #25 on: October 26, 2010, 07:13:16 am »
Windy City Rollers' NSOs must attend 25% of scrimmages (scrimmage happens once per week) and 50% of bouts. 

Positions for the bout are assigned two weeks ahead of time typically, and the Head NSO asks that NSOs attend the scrimmage right before the bout if at all possible so they may be freshly practiced in their assignment, and in the configuration that people will be working in the bout.
WFTDA Certified Referee - Level 3
Founding Member, ARROW
Portland, OR, U.S.A.

Offline Hi Refinition

« Reply #26 on: October 27, 2010, 05:26:14 am »
Arch Rival scrimmages once a week every week.  They also have one rec game a month.  (a game where retired & non roster skaters can play in a game.)  I require NSOs to make 2 scrimmages & the rec game 30 days prior to the a bout (skating refs are 5).  I also try an post 2 weeks before the positions everyone will work so they can get practice at the scrimmages.

ARRG currently has about 15 NSOs.  Some have troubles from time to time making the scrimmages, so I have waved the requirement when needed.  And some of my nso really only need to come once cause they really know what they are doing.
Hi Refinition
now with seven times the color and clarity over standard ref

Featured Product

Zebra Huddle Head Referee Bout Booklet

Featured Classifieds

ZH Files

How to Score a Point in Roller Derby
Rating: *****
Downloads: 3961
Views: 6532
Filesize: 327.61KB
Date: January 17, 2017, 04:21:03 am
Comments (0)
By: AdamSmasher
June 2013 Ruleset situational questions
Downloads: 2577
Views: 5342
Filesize: 29.71KB
Date: February 07, 2014, 04:57:32 pm
Comments (2)
By: Crash Test Ref
Rules Q&A and Publications for 6/15/13 Document
Rating: (None)
Downloads: 2776
Views: 5975
Filesize: 26.27KB
Date: August 02, 2013, 04:10:40 pm
Comments (0)
By: Shaun Ketterman
Rules Q&A and Publications for 1/1/13 Document (4/24/13 Updates)
Downloads: 3572
Views: 5963
Filesize: 28.07KB
Date: April 25, 2013, 05:45:34 pm
Comments (0)
By: Shaun Ketterman