Re: "Pincer" blocks = multipayer? by Bluebeard
July 11, 2019, 06:30:49 pm

"Pincer" blocks = multipayer? by Rego_Derby
July 11, 2019, 01:08:36 am

Re: Jammer Scoring Theory by Major Wood
June 26, 2019, 09:59:33 pm

Jammer Scoring Theory by Rego_Derby
June 25, 2019, 04:30:03 am

Re: Clamping down with the upper arm by bmd (2113)
June 12, 2019, 07:54:29 pm

Re: Ref facepaint by Major Wood
June 12, 2019, 04:16:34 pm

Re: Ref facepaint by Rego_Derby
June 11, 2019, 11:35:08 pm

Author Topic: NSO/Referee Responsibilities  (Read 17027 times)

Offline The Equalizer

• Stats Sheet: 0
Re: NSO/Referee Responsibilities
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2011, 04:57:53 pm »

When the first whistle is blown to start the jam and Referee calls NO PACK immediately blow the 2 whistle to start the jammers.

One of the biggest mistakes that New Jam Timers do is start the jam without the head referee being ready or in position. Always check with the head referee before yelling 5 seconds or jam starts on this whistle before blowing the whistle to make sure everything is set and ready to go. Hope this information is helpful for your new jam timer.

Final thing I have to say is blow the whistle like your trying to take the buildings roof off that way there in no confusion if the jam has started or not. Be a little curtious if your just having a scrimmage in a small building with no crowd though! Good luck to ya....

I always as a Jam timer say you should Discuss the first two with your head ref before the game.  A few will want you to blow the whistle before they call no pack, most Will not want you to blow before the no pack signal and verbal cue. 

Also before the bout as a jam timer, I ask the head ref whether he wants me to call an OTO if he is not in position at the 5 second mark.  Some will, some will not.  If he's not in position at the 5 second mark there is usually something going on that needed their attention.  So establishing that ahead of time will prevent starting a jam without people in place, and will prevent just random chatting. But letting the clock run past the 30 seconds between jams is not something i recommend it can throw off the jam clock/period clock.  If refs aren't ready and the head ref tells you to OTO it or Start it.  That way Game time is accurate.

Also ALWAYS blow the Whistle like you mean it.  Scrimmage, bouts, outside in the parking lot.  I also since we have a hard of hearing skater, I always do a hand motion with the pack start whistle and with the jammer start whistle.  It makes it obvious to everyone that the jam has started and you should be moving regardless.  I have a Fox 40 sonik blast and it is the most awesome of jam timing whistles.

Offline HIM-roid

• Stats Sheet: 14
  • League Affiliation: Mississippi Rollergirls
  • Referee Certification Level: Level 2
  • NSO Certification Level: Not Certified
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2011, 11:04:06 pm »
It takes two to correctly define the pack. When the front inside ref is skating up to call the Out of Plays the rear pack ref should let the front ref know where the pack is by using "Pack is back", "pack is front" etc. Same goes for the reverse situation. When the pack is spread out and not easily defined it takes good communication between both inside pack refs to keep it straight. So it depends on the situation. Putting the respsonsibility completely on one referee can result in avoidable errors.

Seer, so you are recommending that ONLY the IPR's can define the pack?
HIM-roid
WFTDA Apprentice Officials Area Coordinator
Head of Officiating
Mississippi Rollergirls
WFTDA-Certified Referee, Level 2
WFTDA Officials Apprentice Program Area Coordinator

Offline Interrobang Yerdehd

• brought a knife to a pillow fight.
  • League Affiliation: Atlanta Rollergirls
  • Referee Certification Level: Level 3
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2011, 12:02:20 am »
"Pack is back", "pack is front" etc.

I want to emphasize the wording "pack is back". "Pack is rear", sounds a awful lot like "pack is here", which can be confusing.

Similarly, the answer to "How many minors does she have?" shouldn't be "none" (which sounds like "one"), but rather "zero".
« Last Edit: September 22, 2011, 12:46:45 am by Interrobang Yerdehd »
I will have to accept full blame for what I tell you, since none of you are wearing
Mickey Mouse hats and trying to climb up on me under the impression that I am
part of the rigging of a pirate ship.

Offline bjmacke

• Stats Sheet: 2
  • League Affiliation: Minnesota RollerGirls
  • Referee Certification Level: Not Certified
  • NSO Certification Level: Level 2
« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2011, 12:23:16 am »
"How many minors does she have?"

I dunno. All of them?

Best to stick with "color number" and the response "color number has 1/2/3/4" or "color number is clear" if she's, well, clear. Also flashing an appropriate hand signal to reiterate the number is a good habit, too. Especially if the wrist attached to the hand has a wristband that's the same color as the team.

also known as Apron, if you didn't know already.

Offline Interrobang Yerdehd

• brought a knife to a pillow fight.
  • Referee Certification Level: Level 3
« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2011, 12:51:07 am »
Communication between officials doesn't need to be terse and codified like official-to-skater communication, and simply saying "[color] [number]" doesn't give enough information for the tracker to know what you're talking about. Between jams, yeah, they can probably get it from context. But when your jammer initiates a star pass, and you want to know how many minors the former pivot has, yelling "[color] [number]" is only going to confuse the penalty tracker, who is now expecting you to be calling a penalty.

But yes, "clear" is a perfectly acceptable alternative to "zero", and hand signals are good.
I will have to accept full blame for what I tell you, since none of you are wearing
Mickey Mouse hats and trying to climb up on me under the impression that I am
part of the rigging of a pirate ship.

Offline Insane Troll Logic

• Stats Sheet: 1
« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2011, 08:03:09 am »
As Jam Timer, one of the things that I'm listening for intently after blowing the pack starting whistle is for an indication that blockers behind the line are no longer part of the pack. I've been instructed by several highly qualified Head Refs to release the jammers as soon as I see a refs arms go up to signal "No Pack" or as soon as I hear them start to say "Pack is Front" or "Pack is Here". Nice refs don't say "Pack is Back" prior to the release of the jammers, nor do they say "Pack is Here" unless they are also indicating that blockers behind the pivot line are not part of the pack, just like they wouldn't whistle to indicate a major.

As to waiting for a signal from a ref before starting the jam. The WFTDA Officiating Manual says that this needs to be worked out between the HR and the Jam Timer prior to the start of the bout (section 10.5, sorry no link, the only official release that I've found is on the iPhone app).

The Referee and Officiating Standardized Practices says that Jam Timers are allowed to request an official time out if the 30 second line-up clock is about to expire. If I've called 5 seconds and one or more of the officials (usually the HR) are not in position, then I'm pretty much asking whether I should call an OT. A three second OT is often sufficient to get the job done.
Breakin' rocks in the hot sun...

Offline SeerSin

• Stats Sheet: 55
  • League Affiliation: Minnesota Rollergirls
  • Referee Certification Level: Level 5
« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2011, 03:51:45 pm »
It takes two to correctly define the pack. When the front inside ref is skating up to call the Out of Plays the rear pack ref should let the front ref know where the pack is by using "Pack is back", "pack is front" etc. Same goes for the reverse situation. When the pack is spread out and not easily defined it takes good communication between both inside pack refs to keep it straight. So it depends on the situation. Putting the respsonsibility completely on one referee can result in avoidable errors.

Seer, so you are recommending that ONLY the IPR's can define the pack?

Absolutely not. Defining the pack is primarily the responsibility of the inside pack refs. However if the inside refs are wrong the outside refs should let them know by defining the pack. I never tell any ref they are not allowed to define the pack, call a penalty, etc. I assign primary responsibilities, not exclusive responsibilities. Ideally the inside refs always know where the pack is and outside refs can concentrate on out of plays during a no pack, penalties ocurring near the outside line, and assisting the jam refs.

Offline HIM-roid

« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2011, 02:44:14 pm »
Thanks Seer. I was making sure I wasn't over stepping my boundaries when I OPR. Thanks again,
HIM-roid
Head of Officiating
Mississippi Rollergirls

Offline FNZebra

• Superhero Member
  • Stats Sheet: 35
  • I'm a shitty ref.
  • League Affiliation: Bleeding Heartland Roller Derby
« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2011, 09:55:04 pm »
Thanks Seer. I was making sure I wasn't over stepping my boundaries when I OPR. Thanks again,

When I OPR, my primary responsibilities during no-pack situations are to watch for:

• Jammer activity near the outside
  • illegal contact by the former-pack members
  • Blocker activity outside the EZ in front of and behind the pack, when it reforms

If there is confusion among the IPRs defining the pack, or they are busy issuing penalties (can happen at the most inopportune times), or they are otherwise occupied, then I'll define the pack. It shouldn't happen very frequently. If I am doing it often, either I'm doing something wrong, or we're in one of those bouts (hint: if it's one of those bouts, the HR has probably made a specific effort to green-light this during a quick ref huddle, mid-bout.).

Echoing the no-pack call usually doesn't add much help, often hinders an OPR from performing the above duties, and typically means you will exclaim "no-pack" right after one has just reformed.  :-p
You will bout as you practice.

Cheers,

FN Zebra
Bleeding Heartland Roller Derby (WFTDA)
Bloomington, Indianer

Offline HIM-roid

« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2011, 09:04:24 pm »
Last night I was OPR and had great communication with the Jam Refs. I also got a thank you for calling the out of play penalties on the blockers so the jam ref could focus on his jammer and award lead jammer. This allowed him to award lead instantly instead of having to call the major and then award lead. Worked really good. and Yes, there were a few times where the OPR's had to define the pack.
HIM-roid
Head of Officiating
Mississippi Rollergirls

Offline SmackTavish

• Stats Sheet: 1
« Reply #25 on: September 27, 2011, 05:10:22 pm »

Rules state a minimum of 2 penalty box timers.
Rule 9.1.5.3
Penalty Timing Officials: A game will have at least two officials to oversee the penalty box. The penalty timing officials time penalties and assist referees in ensuring a team skates short when they ought.
--SmackTavish

Brandywine Roller Girls Head NSO

Offline LESBRO

• Stats Sheet: 0
« Reply #26 on: July 23, 2012, 07:26:21 am »
As a Jam Timer, is it proper to work out communication with the Inside Pack Ref for help in defining the pack during a "slow derby" situation?  When there is a swirl of skaters going ahead and then behind the pivot line, it may be helpful to have help to define "the pack" as the last of them cross and you release the jammers.  Is there ever a case where refs and the Jam Timer sort of work out "the pack is here" signal when things are ambiguous?

Featured Product

Zebra Huddle Head Referee Bout Booklet

Featured Classifieds

ZH Files

How to Score a Point in Roller Derby
Rating: *****
Downloads: 3483
Views: 6312
Filesize: 327.61KB
Date: January 17, 2017, 04:21:03 am
Comments (0)
By: AdamSmasher
June 2013 Ruleset situational questions
Downloads: 2504
Views: 5176
Filesize: 29.71KB
Date: February 07, 2014, 04:57:32 pm
Comments (2)
By: Crash Test Ref
Rules Q&A and Publications for 6/15/13 Document
Rating: (None)
Downloads: 2694
Views: 5786
Filesize: 26.27KB
Date: August 02, 2013, 04:10:40 pm
Comments (0)
By: Shaun Ketterman
Rules Q&A and Publications for 1/1/13 Document (4/24/13 Updates)
Downloads: 3478
Views: 5764
Filesize: 28.07KB
Date: April 25, 2013, 05:45:34 pm
Comments (0)
By: Shaun Ketterman