Re: "Pincer" blocks = multipayer? by Bluebeard
July 11, 2019, 06:30:49 pm

"Pincer" blocks = multipayer? by Rego_Derby
July 11, 2019, 01:08:36 am

Re: Jammer Scoring Theory by Major Wood
June 26, 2019, 09:59:33 pm

Jammer Scoring Theory by Rego_Derby
June 25, 2019, 04:30:03 am

Re: Clamping down with the upper arm by bmd (2113)
June 12, 2019, 07:54:29 pm

Re: Ref facepaint by Major Wood
June 12, 2019, 04:16:34 pm

Re: Ref facepaint by Rego_Derby
June 11, 2019, 11:35:08 pm

Re: Ref facepaint by Axis of Stevil
June 10, 2019, 06:56:10 pm

Re: Ref facepaint by Major Wood
June 10, 2019, 01:49:04 pm

Ref facepaint by Rego_Derby
June 09, 2019, 03:38:38 pm

Author Topic: NSO/Referee Responsibilities  (Read 16855 times)

Offline Darkjester

• Has Too Much Damn Time Member
  • Stats Sheet: 39
  • "When in doubt, RTFM"
  • League Affiliation: Beach Brawl SK8R Dolls
  • Referee Certification Level: Not Certified
  • NSO Certification Level: Not Certified
Madness Tolls
69¢
Beach Brawl Sk8R Dolls
Fort Walton Beach FL

Offline Ruins

• Stats Sheet: 0
Re: NSO/Referee Responsibilities
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2010, 08:06:02 pm »

Offline teapotahedron

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2010, 10:00:21 pm »
Don't forget to mention that there should be someone timing the 30 minute periods (I guess the Jam Timer?).

Offline Sven WillIBeFamous

• Stats Sheet: 2
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2010, 06:11:16 pm »
Don't forget to mention that there should be someone timing the 30 minute periods (I guess the Jam Timer?).
This is normally the responsibility of the Jam Timer.

I would also say that having someone who knows how to run the scoreboard is a useful addition.  I've been to some bouts where the scoreboard operator also has an assistant who double checks the scores being passed at the end of each jam and who helps to spot the names of the jammers and who is lead jammer.  I know these aren't essential positions but they are very useful.  I've seen people having total nightmares when running the scoreboard and so the timekeeper has to keep going over and getting the clock changed or where they take ages to adjust the scores after each jam.

HelP!MYSPaceBarANDCapsLOCkaREBroKen!

Offline high angle hell

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2010, 06:27:01 am »
These are few things that I saw from reading your post about Jam Timers that is very useful for a new Jam Timer. When a team time out or Referee time out is done. He/She should be standing in front of pack when whistling is blown for them to return to the Pivot line. Also, for those that are standing there not to take off.

When the first whistle is blown to start the jam and Referee calls NO PACK immediately blow the 2 whistle to start the jammers. This is something that I learned when I first started doing Jam Timer. Being a Jam Timer is a very important role in a bout. This position can make or break a bout if not done correctly. Knowing pack definition is key for this postion.

Jam Timer needs to stop the period clock when a team takes a time out or a Referee calls for a time out. Make sure to check the Jam Timer period clock with the scoreboard period clock. If they not correct change them before the time out or Referee timeout is completed. Make sure to start the period clock along with the pack whistle.

One of the biggest mistakes that New Jam Timers do is start the jam without the head referee being ready or in position. Always check with the head referee before yelling 5 seconds or jam starts on this whistle before blowing the whistle to make sure everything is set and ready to go. Hope this information is helpful for your new jam timer.

Final thing I have to say is blow the whistle like your trying to take the buildings roof off that way there in no confusion if the jam has started or not. Be a little curtious if your just having a scrimmage in a small building with no crowd though! Good luck to ya....
High Angle Hell
VCRD Asst. Head Ref

Offline Darkjester

• "When in doubt, RTFM"
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2010, 02:26:18 pm »
Thanks everyone for the advice!
Madness Tolls
69¢
Beach Brawl Sk8R Dolls
Fort Walton Beach FL

Offline JimmyRage

• Stats Sheet: 1
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2010, 05:25:14 pm »
These are few things that I saw from reading your post about Jam Timers that is very useful for a new Jam Timer. When a team time out or Referee time out is done. He/She should be standing in front of pack when whistling is blown for them to return to the Pivot line. Also, for those that are standing there not to take off.

+1

I've seen both the front IPR and the Jam Timer put themselves in front of the pack like this. I like to make a verbal indication to the pack that the whistle will be a "this is the end of the timeout, NOT a jam start!". There are times where even if you're 5 feet in front of the pack, hands doing the OTO signal, they make eye contact, all that jazz, and then WHAM you get assaulted by 8 rollergirls when that whistle goes off.

Quote from: high angle hell
When the first whistle is blown to start the jam and Referee calls NO PACK immediately blow the 2 whistle to start the jammers. This is something that I learned when I first started doing Jam Timer. Being a Jam Timer is a very important role in a bout. This position can make or break a bout if not done correctly. Knowing pack definition is key for this postion.

+1 again. One of my biggest pet peeves is when either a No Pack situation occurs or the defined pack has left the line (with a few stragglers hanging back) and the Jam Timer just hangs out waiting for the last skater to cross the line. Rules say when the last pack skater has crossed the line...

Also, note that the first jam whistle isn't a quick TWEET. It's a LONG TWEET. (Thank you, Ref Clinic East)

One of the biggest mistakes that New Jam Timers do is start the jam without the head referee being ready or in position. Always check with the head referee before yelling 5 seconds or jam starts on this whistle before blowing the whistle to make sure everything is set and ready to go. Hope this information is helpful for your new jam timer.

This is something good to give a seconds' attention to during the pre-bout ref meeting (if you have NSOs in on it, I like to bring 'em in) or have the Head Ref pull the Jam Timer aside for a minute before the bout starts.

Final thing I have to say is blow the whistle like your trying to take the buildings roof off that way there in no confusion if the jam has started or not. Be a little curtious if your just having a scrimmage in a small building with no crowd though! Good luck to ya....

That's why I always recommend people to get Fox 40 Sonik / Sonik Blasts instead of the classy Fox 40. Those little f'ers are LOUD even with a screaming, packed crowd around you.
Jimmy Rage, #471
Level 0 Certified Ref
Head Ref, Long Island Roller Rebels

I play it too.

Offline Jessticular Fortitude

• Referee
  • Stats Sheet: 27
  • SOLID
  • League Affiliation: Nashville Rollergirls
  • Referee Certification Level: Level 2
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2010, 06:23:27 pm »
Also, note that the first jam whistle isn't a quick TWEET. It's a LONG TWEET. (Thank you, Ref Clinic East)

How long? I have been hearing people hold it out for several seconds which seems like overkill to me. 1 second long, sure, but 2-3? I have also heard it change tones which can sometimes sound like several whistles blasts instead of one, depending on the venue.
Hey look, a search function! Right up there! No on the left

Perhaps we should all spend a little more time reading and a little less time making shit up.

Offline noidd

• Stats Sheet: 28
  • Start with 100% accuracy and get better over time.
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2010, 08:53:18 pm »

I disagree.  This is a matter of Head Ref preference.  As such, it is not a "biggest mistake" - it is a preference.

I give the instruction to my Jam Timer that unless I have called a Timeout to start the jam at the 30 second mark whether I'm ready, whether the skaters are ready, regardless.  Even if there is no-one on the track, that whistle goes at 30 seconds unless I say otherwise.

In my experience, allowing Jam Timers to hold for a few seconds increases the risk of affecting gameplay by giving tardy teams additional time to line up.  This is game affecting.

If you look at the "Advice for HR / Captains meetings" threads you'll see a conversation between Rev Riot and Johnny Zebra where one strongly prefers one way, the other strongly prefers the other.

I'm not stating one method is the better than the other.  I have my preference, others have theirs.

I just want to point out that it is not an NSO mistake.
--
Referees are not here to legislate, dictate, pontificate or participate.  We are there only to facilitate.

Offline JimmyRage

« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2010, 08:58:38 pm »

How long? I have been hearing people hold it out for several seconds which seems like overkill to me. 1 second long, sure, but 2-3? I have also heard it change tones which can sometimes sound like several whistles blasts instead of one, depending on the venue.

If we had to pin an exact number, I'd nail it to one second.

Changing tones? A buhh?
Jimmy Rage, #471
Level 0 Certified Ref
Head Ref, Long Island Roller Rebels

I play it too.

Offline Jessticular Fortitude

• Referee
  • Stats Sheet: 27
  • SOLID
  • League Affiliation: Nashville Rollergirls
  • Referee Certification Level: Level 2
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2010, 09:10:58 pm »

If we had to pin an exact number, I'd nail it to one second.

Changing tones? A buhh?

Some people who shall not be named are a little overzealous.
Hey look, a search function! Right up there! No on the left

Perhaps we should all spend a little more time reading and a little less time making shit up.

Offline mick hawkins

• Superhero Member
  • Stats Sheet: 61
  • They're covers people. Helmet COVERS!
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2010, 11:49:14 pm »

i dont entirely agree

if the head ref is in the middle of something and it's near the 30 seconds, the head ref can call an official timeout if he/she doesnt want the jam to start

keep in mind the period clock is ticking

i think a good jam timer is one who's aware of whats going on and will communicate with the head ref - watching for a signal/indication from the head ref

a bit of common sense is what's needed

for example...
if the head ref is with an injured skater down on the track -- the jam timer shouldnt start the jam. an official timeout should be called
vs
the head ref is with the penalty tracker and not in position, i prefer the jam timer to get on with the job and keep things running (like noidd says, different head refs have their way... and that's ok)

i'd say it's a mistake to not be aware of what's happening and not communicate
Sun State Roller Girls (WFTDA Apprentice League)
Brisbane, Australia

Offline J. Ref K.

• League Affiliation: Unaffiliated
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2011, 03:58:43 pm »

Any standard practice on who will call "No Pack", "Pack is Here", "Pack is Front", etc?  One technique is to leave it to the Head Ref but I prefer to have any of the IPRs call it as they see it.   Thoughts?
"Leadership and learning are indispensable to each other."  -JFK

Offline Darkjester

• "When in doubt, RTFM"
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2011, 04:13:59 pm »
AFAIK nothing standard, however I do know what worked well in Mobile a few weekends ago was the HR (Taking the job of front pack ref) handled the majority of "No Pack" definition calls.  Immediately upon hearing a call of "No Pack" instead of all refs looking to redefine the pack, he instructed us to look for any penalties that needed to be called, while he would redefine the pack as needed.

I think that worked out very well for that bout.
Madness Tolls
69¢
Beach Brawl Sk8R Dolls
Fort Walton Beach FL

Offline SeerSin

• Stats Sheet: 55
  • League Affiliation: Minnesota Rollergirls
  • Referee Certification Level: Level 5
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2011, 04:40:40 pm »
It takes two to correctly define the pack. When the front inside ref is skating up to call the Out of Plays the rear pack ref should let the front ref know where the pack is by using "Pack is back", "pack is front" etc. Same goes for the reverse situation. When the pack is spread out and not easily defined it takes good communication between both inside pack refs to keep it straight. So it depends on the situation. Putting the respsonsibility completely on one referee can result in avoidable errors.

Featured Product

Zebra Huddle Head Referee Bout Booklet

Featured Classifieds

ZH Files

How to Score a Point in Roller Derby
Rating: *****
Downloads: 3361
Views: 5486
Filesize: 327.61KB
Date: January 17, 2017, 04:21:03 am
Comments (0)
By: AdamSmasher
June 2013 Ruleset situational questions
Downloads: 2454
Views: 5052
Filesize: 29.71KB
Date: February 07, 2014, 04:57:32 pm
Comments (2)
By: Crash Test Ref
Rules Q&A and Publications for 6/15/13 Document
Rating: (None)
Downloads: 2604
Views: 5674
Filesize: 26.27KB
Date: August 02, 2013, 04:10:40 pm
Comments (0)
By: Shaun Ketterman
Rules Q&A and Publications for 1/1/13 Document (4/24/13 Updates)
Downloads: 3390
Views: 5629
Filesize: 28.07KB
Date: April 25, 2013, 05:45:34 pm
Comments (0)
By: Shaun Ketterman