Re: Probable Elbow vs. definite Cut... by Invader Jim
Today at 02:46:03 pm

Re: Probable Elbow vs. definite Cut... by Stray Taco
Today at 02:26:38 pm

Re: Skater on her way to/from the box at the beginning of the jam by Stray Taco
Today at 02:25:07 pm

Re: Skater on her way to/from the box at the beginning of the jam by Lucas
Today at 02:09:15 pm

Re: Skater on her way to/from the box at the beginning of the jam by BadgerBadger
Today at 09:28:12 am

Author Topic: Skaters Minimum Skills Test.  (Read 5125 times)

Offline Angry Scotsman

• Stats Sheet: 0
Skaters Minimum Skills Test.
« on: September 01, 2010, 11:34:56 pm »
Ok, new to the board and have a question. I have looked and looked on the WFTDA site and have not seen that the test is a Pass/Fail. The skills test does say that that there must be an assessment prior to interleague competition. I would take that as they hjave been assesed and show proficientcy, but not a pass you can bout or fail you can't.

If proficientcy means 80% or better what is someone does 20 laps that is proficient.

Please let me know how you feel.

Offline Noah Tall

• Referee
  • Stats Sheet: 25
Re: Skaters Minimum Skills Test.
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2010, 12:07:20 am »
The MST says you must "meet" the skill requirements.  The skill requirement is 25 laps in 5 minutes, not 20.  If you can not meet that, you do not pass.  For falls, you must return to skating motion within 2-3 seconds, depending on the fall.  If you do not do that, you do not pass.  Some skills are subjective, like "smooth skating stride" and "Whips", but most are not.  You must do X to meet the requirements or you do not bout in a WFTDA game.

Really, the skillset isn't there because WFTDA is a bunch of jackasses.  This is a bare minimum needed to have even a small amount of safety in a bout.  When I passed my MSTs four years ago, it was by the skin of my teeth.  I look back at my skating skill then, and I'm just shocked that I was allowed to skate at all.  It is far better to tell a skater to wait a couple of months, practice, and try again, then to have that skater pushed on too early and cause injury either to herself or others.
WFTDA Ref Rep
WFTDA AP Area Coordinator
Arkansas

"We may not be skilled, but at least we're impartial!"

Offline Angry Scotsman

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2010, 12:39:33 am »
Nowhere does it say "Must  Meet". It says you must be assessed.

Per WFTDA MST's:

Skaters must be assessed prior to their first interleague competition and re-assessments must be done at least annually thereafter. WFTDA leagues must maintain signed records of successful testing of their rostered skaters and be able to provide these records to the WFTDA upon request.

1 Basic Skating Skills
 The skater must demonstrate proficiency in the following areas:

The definition of proficient from Websters Dictionary is  well advanced in an art, occupation, or branch of knowledge.

This has been brought to my attention. I do not think any person or orginization is a jackass for having said skills requirments.

Offline Dave Brawlings

• Referee
  • League Affiliation: San Diego Derby Dolls
  • Referee Certification Level: Not Certified
  • NSO Certification Level: Not Certified
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2010, 12:58:54 am »
The first words in the document are the title, "WFTDA Minimum Skills Requirements."

They are requirements, which must be met.

Offline Noah Tall

• Referee
  • Stats Sheet: 25
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2010, 01:01:29 am »
Read higher up :)

Each WFTDA member league that intends to enter into a WFTDA-sanctioned interleague bout
must designate a league member who is responsible for ensuring that each skater entering into
the interleague bout meets the skill requirements listed below.

Emphasis mine.

I wasn't trying to infer any feelings onto you about jackassosity.  I just know it's hard being a beginning skater and really, really wanting to be able to bout and be on the team and just not quite being there yet.
WFTDA Ref Rep
WFTDA AP Area Coordinator
Arkansas

"We may not be skilled, but at least we're impartial!"

Offline high angle hell

• Referee
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2010, 07:59:48 am »
The Minimum skills test that you found on WFTDA website is just a overview and how each section of the test will be like. When you go to take the test there is another test sheet that will have a grading scale 1, 2, 3, 4, or 5. Once you do one of the tasks you grader will mark down how well you did by circling 1-5 depending on how well you do. A number 1 is redue upto a 5 excellent pass grade. Hopefully this will answer your question.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2010, 08:05:19 am by high angle hell »
High Angle Hell
VCRD Asst. Head Ref

Offline noidd

• Referee
  • Stats Sheet: 28
  • Start with 100% accuracy and get better over time.
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2010, 04:29:17 pm »
Nowhere does it say "Must  Meet". It says you must be assessed.

First clause in the rules:

WFTDA Rule/Clarification:
1.1 Teams shall consist of a maximum of twenty skaters that have passed the
Minimum Skill Requirements established by the Women's Flat Track Derby
Association (WFTDA).
--
Referees are not here to legislate, dictate, pontificate or participate.  We are there only to facilitate.

Offline Coach T

• Stats Sheet: 3
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2010, 07:29:30 pm »
This is a pet peeve for me and not directed at anyone in particular! By all of you that are on this board shows that you may share the same view.

I would like to point out the fact that half of this test involves knowing the rules. This is something that is commonly overlooked and this test is still the MINIMUM. Along with improving your skills after the test, you still have to improve on your rule knowledge.

There isn't anything more annoying then playing a team that thinks you are cheating, because they don't know what the rules are. As a coach my team listens to what I say. If they are complaining about something and I say, "What they just did was totally legal", they accept it. The other side of the coin is that if I a coach is going off about something that was done(legally), the team will all think it is wrong. This goes for refs also(have had some up in my face after bouts). We are all in positions to sway the thoughts of many skaters and fans by our actions and opinions. It is our responsibility to know the rules and use them.

I can't emphasize this enough. A great skater that doesn't know the rules will either be OOP a lot or in the box, and dangerous to herself and others. One that has minimum skating skills and knows the rules will be more effective on and off the floor.
Thanks for the medium of Zebra Huddle.
Will argue with a ref for food.
I do not argue just to argue, I argue to learn.

Offline Triple D

« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2010, 06:38:54 pm »
Hi,
 I am also new to the board and am part of a fledgling team in the UK, I was just wondering where the second sheet that contains the grading scale system that high angle hell is available from as does not appear to be on the WFTDA website?

We are nearly ready to complete the minimum skills test and I think the idea of grading is better than pass/fail......

Can you help guys ???

Offline Pat-E-Rat

• Referee
  • Stats Sheet: 4
  • It's official
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2010, 07:13:56 pm »
I would like to point out the fact that half of this test involves knowing the rules. This is something that is commonly overlooked and this test is still the MINIMUM. Along with improving your skills after the test, you still have to improve on your rule knowledge.

I won't speak my opinion on the rest of that, but I whole heartedly agree with yo on the Minimum Skills assessment in relation to rules knowledge.  It especially glows as non-effective/efficient when what is taught toward that test is the maximum skaters know of the rules (not attacking skaters, just pointing out a situational) and confidence from such can lead to Misconduct toward the referees in the form of back talk. 
Pat-E-Rat
Head Ref
River City Rollergirls
Richmond, VA

Featured Product

Zebra Huddle Head Referee Bout Booklet

Featured Classifieds

ZH Files

June 2013 Ruleset situational questions
Rating: *****
Downloads: 408
Views: 697
Filesize: 29.71KB
Date: February 07, 2014, 04:57:32 pm
Comments (2)
By: Crash Test Ref
Rules Q&A and Publications for 6/15/13 Document
Rating: (None)
Downloads: 717
Views: 1073
Filesize: 26.27KB
Date: August 02, 2013, 04:10:40 pm
Comments (0)
By: Shaun Ketterman
Rules Q&A and Publications for 1/1/13 Document (4/24/13 Updates)
Rating: *****
Downloads: 1329
Views: 1345
Filesize: 28.07KB
Date: April 25, 2013, 05:45:34 pm
Comments (0)
By: Shaun Ketterman
Scrimmage Paperwork and Statsbook
Rating: (None)
Downloads: 788
Views: 1760
Filesize: 0KB