Re: "Pincer" blocks = multipayer? by Bluebeard
July 11, 2019, 06:30:49 pm

"Pincer" blocks = multipayer? by Rego_Derby
July 11, 2019, 01:08:36 am

Re: Jammer Scoring Theory by Major Wood
June 26, 2019, 09:59:33 pm

Jammer Scoring Theory by Rego_Derby
June 25, 2019, 04:30:03 am

Re: Clamping down with the upper arm by bmd (2113)
June 12, 2019, 07:54:29 pm

Re: Ref facepaint by Major Wood
June 12, 2019, 04:16:34 pm

Author Topic: Cross-Training  (Read 9826 times)

Offline Jessticular Fortitude

• Referee
  • Stats Sheet: 27
  • SOLID
  • League Affiliation: Nashville Rollergirls
  • Referee Certification Level: Level 2
  • NSO Certification Level: Not Certified
Re: Cross-Training
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2010, 04:18:24 pm »
It does not specify which duties you have to do to get those Referee Performance Evaluations. If you are solely an NSO, it's in your best interest to have evaluations from bouts where you performed NSO duties, but if you are a referee and want to be certified as a referee, then you should get evaluations for THOSE duties. Think about what Ref Cert has to do- they are evaluating you and your performance. If they don't know you, and you want to be certified as a skating referee, wouldn't it make more sense to have evaluations that state your qualifications as a skating referee? It also doesn't say that you have to have 3 evaluations from one job- so you can have one as an outside pack ref, one as a jammer ref, etc. More evaluations give a more complete image of You, The Official, so go ahead and request evaluations of your NSO performace as well, but they are not required if you are mainly a skating referee.

Murder, correct me if I'm wrong.
Hey look, a search function! Right up there! No on the left

Perhaps we should all spend a little more time reading and a little less time making shit up.

Offline Professor Murder

• Stats Sheet: 42
  • Insert Witticism Here.
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2010, 05:40:06 pm »
That's correct.  It's not a requirement, if applying for L2 Cert, to have evals for skating positions.  But it makes more sense - we can't properly assess a person's credentials as a skating referee if their evaluations are all for non-skating positions.
Philly Roller Girls
WFTDA Interim Games Officer
WFTDA Certified Referee: Level 5
"100% Less Dancing" - Dr. Vroom

Offline Eject You Later

• Stats Sheet: 24
  • League Affiliation: Old Capitol City Roller Girls
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2010, 06:24:11 pm »
Ok.  My assumption was that since Level 1 certification fell under the heading, "Non-skating officials, able to perform non-referee officiating duties for WFTDA sanctioned interleague play" that the evaluations were to be for those duties even though it didn't explicitly state this.  And since to apply for a Level 2 certification you have to have met the Level 1 certification requirements... well, there we go. :)

I understand.  And yes, it does make sense that a skating official should have evaluations skating.  However... let's pretend that I was only interested in NSO work.  I had my evaluations and was certified as a Level 1 referee.  A year goes by and I decide that being a referee would be fun, so I get some skates and train.  To apply for Level 2 referee I only need to pass the skills test, correct?

So what it appears to me (and please correct me if I am mistaken), is that to be a WFTDA certified Level 2 skating referee you need no skating experience nor evaluations of refereeing a bout.  But from the viewpoint of the certification committee and for one's own goal of becoming better, it is preferred to have some of the evaluations done while you are performing referee duties.  Is that accurate?

Finally, one last question. 

The evaluation guideline reads:
Is there any criteria for this?  In other words:

*  Does it have to be 3 separate people evaluating you? 
*  Does it have have to be 3 separate incidents, or can 3 people evaluate the same task?  Ie., let's say I'm reffing a bout and we have 3 WFTDA league members not from my league in attendance.  Can all 3 fill out an evaluation on me and satisfy the requirement for 3, or is it 1 evaluation per task?
Does it even have to be a bout? I read through the evaluation form and see that it clearly states "all WFTDA sanctioned and regular bouts."  So it would appear this question is answered.

I would assume that the intent would be to have 3 separate evaluations done for 3 separate tasks (they could all be OPR, for instance, but not for the same bout).  But I guess I may be reading too much into the certification process...

I appreciate the guidance and advice. 
Eject You Later - Referee
Old Capitol City Roller Girls of Coralville, IA
WFTDA Member League
Zebra Huddle Referee Verifier

Offline Jessticular Fortitude

• Referee
  • Stats Sheet: 27
  • SOLID
  • League Affiliation: Nashville Rollergirls
« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2010, 07:42:47 pm »
http://wftda.com/officiating/levels-of-certification

Look at the description of the levels of certification. Level 2 says
Able to perform skating referee duties for WFTDA sanctioned interleague play.
How could you obtain Level 2 without having actually performed skating referee duties for WFTDA sanctioned play? You need proof of that somehow, and the evaluations explain how you did in those roles. So you DO need those evaluations. The skating skills test is there to prove that you also know how to skate well, and can keep up during a bout. Certification is not for new officials. It is for people who have experience reffing sanctioned play and have proven themselves to be good at it. Also from that link:

The WFTDA Referee Certification Committee determines if officials are advanced enough to be WFTDA Certified and if so classifies them, which is in accordance with the status of WFTDA Roller Derby.

You need more than the bare minimum to prove that you should be certified.

As far as who can evaluate you, see this link http://wftda.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/evaluation-instructions.pdf The league reps are for the 2 teams who are playing in the bout. The head referee is the head referee for that bout. So you can request at most 3 per bout- 1 from each team and one from the head referee, unless you "belong" to one of those leagues. If the head ref also belongs to the same league as you, you can't get an evaluation from him or her. You can also get evaluations that you don't request from special people, such as members of Ref Cert. This happens at major WFTDA tournaments.

I hope that answered your questions!
Hey look, a search function! Right up there! No on the left

Perhaps we should all spend a little more time reading and a little less time making shit up.

Offline SeerSin

• Stats Sheet: 55
  • League Affiliation: Minnesota Rollergirls
  • Referee Certification Level: Level 5
« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2010, 07:51:06 pm »
Keep in mind that 3 evals is the minimum. The bout you receive an eval for must be WFTDA regulation(between 2 wftda leagues, home team bouts don't count), or sanctioned. If you guest ref for a sanctioned or regulation bout you could receive 3 evaluations from 1 bout. 1 from each team and 1 from the head ref. That meets the requirement, but really 1 bout isn't enough. I recommend having 10 or more evals(my personal opinion, not based on anything from ref cert) in addition to contacting WFTDA refs you've worked with and asking them to send in comments when you go up for certification. This gives ref cert a broader view of your performance over time and aids them in giving you good feedback on your strengths and weaknesses.

Offline Eject You Later

• Stats Sheet: 24
  • League Affiliation: Old Capitol City Roller Girls
« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2010, 09:19:18 pm »
Ok, that makes more sense.  Thank you.  :)
Eject You Later - Referee
Old Capitol City Roller Girls of Coralville, IA
WFTDA Member League
Zebra Huddle Referee Verifier

Offline high angle hell

• Stats Sheet: 0
« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2010, 09:31:09 pm »
I am training to become a skating referee. I have pretty much always been on skates for bouts and scrimmages.  Recently, I had the opportunity to be a score keeper (skeeper? ^_^) for a bout.

I came away from that experience with two main benefits: a deeper respect for the men and women behind the clipboards, and a few observations about what I would want a jam Ref to do (or not do).  It was a very rewarding experience that I hope to repeat at practice.

Does anyone else have opinions about the benefits and/or drawbacks of referees cross-training as NSOs? Or NSOs cross-training in different positions?

Having experience in both NSO positions as well as Referee is a huge plus. You never know when you may need to jump in and cover someone's position. Not only is a benefit for you as person you are also very helpful for your league as well as other leagues. I am referee for our league but I have been going to Nashville and training with there NSO crew and now I do both. Worked with several teams this year! You never know when you will be called in at bout or from home to come help out! Keep up what your doing.. Encourge more people to do so as well. I will be doing the same next year as well. Gives you a better understanding where each position comes from and there understanding of there job!
High Angle Hell
VCRD Asst. Head Ref

Featured Product

Zebra Huddle Head Referee Bout Booklet

Featured Classifieds

ZH Files

How to Score a Point in Roller Derby
Rating: *****
Downloads: 3938
Views: 6462
Filesize: 327.61KB
Date: January 17, 2017, 04:21:03 am
Comments (0)
By: AdamSmasher
June 2013 Ruleset situational questions
Downloads: 2559
Views: 5304
Filesize: 29.71KB
Date: February 07, 2014, 04:57:32 pm
Comments (2)
By: Crash Test Ref
Rules Q&A and Publications for 6/15/13 Document
Rating: (None)
Downloads: 2755
Views: 5914
Filesize: 26.27KB
Date: August 02, 2013, 04:10:40 pm
Comments (0)
By: Shaun Ketterman
Rules Q&A and Publications for 1/1/13 Document (4/24/13 Updates)
Downloads: 3551
Views: 5909
Filesize: 28.07KB
Date: April 25, 2013, 05:45:34 pm
Comments (0)
By: Shaun Ketterman