Re: Rule clarification by Bluebeard
January 17, 2020, 05:26:46 am

Rule clarification by 3Beers
December 28, 2019, 06:04:00 pm

Re: Resources for new referees. by Destructor
November 29, 2019, 01:13:40 pm

Resources for new referees. by Destructor
November 26, 2019, 06:01:48 pm

Author Topic: Moderator candidates  (Read 14833 times)

Offline Major Wood

• Administrator
  • Has Too Much Damn Time Member
  • Stats Sheet: 77
  • League Affiliation: Nashville Rollergirls
  • Referee Certification Level: Level 5
  • NSO Certification Level: Not Certified
Moderator candidates
« on: October 19, 2010, 01:27:10 pm »
Thank you to all of you who have expressed interest in becoming a moderator for Zebra Huddle!
I have narrowed it down to 3 people who I feel are qualified to do the job. I will list them below and allow them time to state why they are the right person for the position (or decide to go on merit alone) before putting it up for vote.

Your candidates (in alphabetical order):

Bishop
Cliquework
Professor Murder

Lets not clutter this thread with congratulations, or anything like that. However, feel free to ask questions about how this will run, or the way that each candidate may operate.
Your friendly Zebra Huddle admin.

Nashville Roller Derby Head Ref
WFTDA Level 5 Certified Referee

I speak only of my opinions and interpretations.

Offline Cliquework

• Superhero Member
  • Stats Sheet: 55
  • EGO sum Speculum. Noxiae poena par esto.
  • League Affiliation: Demolition City Roller Derby
  • Referee Certification Level: Level 3
Re: Moderator candidates
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2010, 07:41:45 pm »
I believe Bishop, Murder, and myself all have the responsibility and sensitivity to perform the duties of Forum Moderator, from organization, fluency in forum capabilities, maintaining proper conduct within the forums while being examples ourselves,  confidentiality, and preserving open, yet structured communication.

In addition to that, my office hours permit me to maintain an active online presence throughout the week, day, and/or hour. My job is behind a computer. Should situations arise that requires moderator assistance, I will be accessible.

This same availability has permitted me to read every single thread contained within Zebra Huddle, both current and archived. This knowledge aids in searching relevant discussions. A librarian knows the library.

Thank you for your consideration.

Demolition City Roller Derby Head Ref
Evansville, IN
Zebra Huddle Moderator
WFTDA Refcert Checklist

Offline Professor Murder

• Stats Sheet: 42
  • Insert Witticism Here.
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2010, 09:16:47 pm »
I don't have fancy Photoshop skills, so no Colbertesque photos from me.

I do know roller derby, and I do know officiating.  I've been doing this since late 2005; what I've learned, and seen, over that time is more or less the foundation of my qualifications.  I have a thorough knowledge of the growth and changes the sport has seen over just a few short years.

I know full well about proper conduct, as an experienced official, as a representative of the WFTDA, and as someone who has a deep grasp of how discussions should and should not flow in online venues.  I look forward to keeping ZH as a place where discussions remain on topic, where discussions are respectful, and where extraneous discussion is limited (for instances when a satisfactory and thorough conclusion/answer has been reached).

I respect the backgrounds that both Bishop and Cliquework bring to ZH.  My experiences, and the extent of my experiences, both on and off the track, make me a more qualified candidate for the position.

I also have far more Playstation trophies than Cliquework.

Vote for someone who you want to be a moderator, quite frankly.  I would like to limit some conversations so we can all highlight the proper answer and move on, as consistent, knowledgeable officials.  More than anything else, I want Zebra Huddle as a place for officials to become right, rather than as a place for individuals to prove themselves right.  If you embrace that distinction, then you should support Murder.

Perhaps there's a better slogan than that.
Philly Roller Girls
WFTDA Interim Games Officer
WFTDA Certified Referee: Level 5
"100% Less Dancing" - Dr. Vroom

Offline Cliquework

• Superhero Member
  • Stats Sheet: 55
  • EGO sum Speculum. Noxiae poena par esto.
  • League Affiliation: Demolition City Roller Derby
  • Referee Certification Level: Level 3
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2010, 09:25:22 pm »
I also have far more Playstation trophies than Cliquework.

Yeah, that "Hannah Montanna" one looks real good on the mantle. I was hoping to escape the typical political muslinging. Alas, there it is.
Demolition City Roller Derby Head Ref
Evansville, IN
Zebra Huddle Moderator
WFTDA Refcert Checklist

Offline FNZebra

• Superhero Member
  • Stats Sheet: 35
  • I'm a shitty ref.
  • League Affiliation: Bleeding Heartland Roller Derby
  • Referee Certification Level: Not Certified
  • NSO Certification Level: Level 2
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2010, 09:46:49 pm »
So what quad wheels and bearings are best for dealing with the political mudslinging environment?
You will bout as you practice.

Cheers,

FN Zebra
Bleeding Heartland Roller Derby (WFTDA)
Bloomington, Indianer

Offline Major Wood

• Administrator
  • Has Too Much Damn Time Member
  • Stats Sheet: 77
  • League Affiliation: Nashville Rollergirls
  • Referee Certification Level: Level 5
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2010, 09:51:35 pm »
Vote for someone who you want to be a moderator, quite frankly.

I do want to highlight this statement. When this is voted on, it will help shape the community you are all a part of. So please keep that in mind.
Your friendly Zebra Huddle admin.

Nashville Roller Derby Head Ref
WFTDA Level 5 Certified Referee

I speak only of my opinions and interpretations.

Offline Eject You Later

• Stats Sheet: 24
  • League Affiliation: Old Capitol City Roller Girls
  • Referee Certification Level: Level 2
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2010, 11:12:13 pm »
I look forward to keeping ZH as a place where discussions remain on topic, where discussions are respectful, and where extraneous discussion is limited (for instances when a satisfactory and thorough conclusion/answer has been reached).

Fairly new here so I haven't had a lot of interaction with you (yet).  The posts of yours I've read I've concluded that they were well written, thoughtful, and knowledgeable.  With this in mind, I have a pair of questions about the above statement that you made, so that I can get a better feel of Murder the Mod.

First, when you say, "on topic," what is your intention?  Are you interested in shutting down occasional off topic banter that can shape an online community (either positively or negatively)?  Is there a line somewhere in your opinion that, prior to being crossed, allows some off topic-ness and, when crossed, needs to be shut down?  If so, can you elaborate on what and where that line is?  As well, what is your preferred method of dealing with said off topic-ness?  Warning/reprimands?  Splitting threads?  Deleting posts?

Second, and this is more important to me, what do you mean by: "where extraneous discussion is limited (for instances when a satisfactory and thorough conclusion/answer has been reached)."  I've read a number of threads on these boards where a topic appears to have been answered definitively, only to be reopened and rediscussed when new angles, thoughts, or reasoning are introduced.  So my question is, what determines that an answer is satisfactory?  And if this has been achieved what is your preferred method of dealing with the thread in question?  Locking it?  Splitting off any further discussion?  Warning/reprimanding users that "grave dig" a discussion that was deemed answered?

Thank you :)
Eject You Later - Referee
Old Capitol City Roller Girls of Coralville, IA
WFTDA Member League
Zebra Huddle Referee Verifier

Offline JoeXCore

• Superhero Member
  • Stats Sheet: 20
  • Will go anywhere to which I can afford to travel.
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2010, 11:13:55 pm »
I would like to see more splitting of threads.
Black n Bluegrass Roller Girls - head referee
MRDA Recognized Refree

Offline howie~swerve

• Stats Sheet: 20
  • Cake or death?
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2010, 11:38:04 pm »
Is there a line somewhere in your opinion that, prior to being crossed, allows some off topic-ness and, when crossed, needs to be shut down?  If so, can you elaborate on what and where that line is?

actually, it'd be nice if all three could take a swing at this one.
Rollergirls of Central Kentucky (Lexington, KY)
"To protect and to swerve."

All-Nate-Long

« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2010, 12:29:53 am »
It would be awesome to have someone on  the Wftda referee committee as a moderator...  :o

Offline FNZebra

• Superhero Member
  • I'm a shitty ref.
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2010, 01:15:12 am »
It would be awesome to have someone on  the Wftda referee committee as a moderator...  :o

Please finish your sentence, All-Nate-Long.

How do you think that would benefit this community?

Cheers,

FN Zebra
Bloomington, Indianer

All-Nate-Long

« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2010, 02:18:52 am »
Having someone from  the referee  board as a ZH  moderator would give a  definitive up to date  answer  to most ongoing discussions....

Offline Noah Tall

• Stats Sheet: 25
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2010, 02:50:22 am »
There are many of us here who are on the WFTDA Ref Committee.  However, because of that, it actually limits what we may say.  There may be a pertinent discussion to whatever is happening on the ZH playing out on the WFTDA boards, but we can not share that until we are allowed.  In contrast, oftentimes items will arise on ZH that will cause a discussion on the WFTDA boards and will lead to official clarifications.

In any case, I don't know that limiting a moderator position to one who is on the Ref Committee is necessary, as there are many people here who already fill that role.  But, that is just my opinion, and you, of course, are entitled to yours.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2010, 02:53:13 am by Noah Tall »
WFTDA Ref Rep
WFTDA AP Area Coordinator
Arkansas

"We may not be skilled, but at least we're impartial!"

Offline FNZebra

• Superhero Member
  • I'm a shitty ref.
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2010, 03:03:10 am »
Having someone from  the referee  board as a ZH  moderator would give a  definitive up to date  answer  to most ongoing discussions....

Ahh, gotcha.

There are more than a few folks hereabouts who are on the WFTDA ref forum, including the moderator candidates. The deafening silence often heard is because of the NDA, or because there is yet no official answer.

It is my semi-informed opinion that electing any one of these candidates would neither speed nor hinder the arrival of definitive, up-to-date answers.

So we'll have to make our choices based on other criteria.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2010, 03:06:17 am by FNZebra »

Cheers,

FN Zebra
Bloomington, Indianer

Offline Professor Murder

• Stats Sheet: 42
  • Insert Witticism Here.
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2010, 03:03:45 am »
First, when you say, "on topic," what is your intention?  Are you interested in shutting down occasional off topic banter that can shape an online community (either positively or negatively)?  Is there a line somewhere in your opinion that, prior to being crossed, allows some off topic-ness and, when crossed, needs to be shut down?  If so, can you elaborate on what and where that line is?  As well, what is your preferred method of dealing with said off topic-ness?  Warning/reprimands?  Splitting threads?  Deleting posts?

I intend on keeping discussion on the topic of the original post(s).  Banter is well and good, but it can't dominate threads.  Related topics won't be shunned, but I'd like to see people think if their post is related to the topic before actually posting.  If it's related and relevant, but deemed slightly off topic, start a new thread.  I'm not advocating me being a censor, but encouraging that members here be active participants in keeping this forum organized.

I think I have fewer posts than the other two candidates, but I'm logged onto ZH pretty frequently.  I read threads and often don't post if I have nothing to contribute (i.e., if what I'm thinking has already been said).  Personally, I contribute nothing but clutter if I offer little more than a "here, here" and little else.

Second, and this is more important to me, what do you mean by: "where extraneous discussion is limited (for instances when a satisfactory and thorough conclusion/answer has been reached)."  I've read a number of threads on these boards where a topic appears to have been answered definitively, only to be reopened and rediscussed when new angles, thoughts, or reasoning are introduced.  So my question is, what determines that an answer is satisfactory?  And if this has been achieved what is your preferred method of dealing with the thread in question?  Locking it?  Splitting off any further discussion?  Warning/reprimanding users that "grave dig" a discussion that was deemed answered?

To use policing terms, I prefer a "community-based" style to a "lawman" style.  In short, moving discussion where it's pertinent.  Take the thread on mistakes, for instance:
http://www.zebrahuddle.com/index.php?topic=7.285

The last page is on understanding jammer cover tranfers.  While a good discussion to have, it deserves its own topic in my view.  The discussion started out because someone made a pertinent post about a 'mistake,' but morphed into the broader rules discussion you see on page 20.  That's well and good, but the net effect is that it makes the general thread (about mistakes) unweildly and, over time, less effective as a resource to look back on.  I wouldn't quash the discussion, but I would split it.

On the other hand, take the topic on WFTDA's release of hand signals:
http://www.zebrahuddle.com/index.php?topic=1258.0

The OP's question is this:
Does anyone know if the new referee hand signals for the new rules (May 2010 update) are posted or described anywhere? Bout this weekend and need to know new hand signals.

But the discussion quickly deviates from that.  Frankly, the banter in that thread detracts from the point of the thread.  I'd probably delete a number of posts about who does which hand signals best, or which hand signals we really enjoy.  There's a secondary conversation about performing quality hand signals, which is something I wholly endorse as deserving of its own topic.  That should be split off.  Lost in the morass are responses that dictate what some hand signals currently in use are, in WFTDA Sanctioned play, that are not in the current Hand Signals document.  Since that's the point of the thread, it's unfortunate that there is so much to wade through to find those answers.

Lastly:

Having someone from  the referee  board as a ZH  moderator would give a  definitive up to date  answer  to most ongoing discussions....

I want to be perfectly clear in what I, nor anyone else, can be: a conduit to the inner workings of the WFTDA.  If the organization were discussing, say, mandating toestops for all skaters (not a real discussion), none of us could discuss that on ZH.  We can provide information, we can be useful as resources, but we can not violate codes of conduct or confidentiality agreements.  So if Rules didn't answer your Q&A, or if there's vigorous discussion on the boards about it, that's not something we can bring here.  

As a member of a WFTDA Member League, you have access to your skater and ref reps who can and should inform you of those doings (since you've ostensibly signed those documents too).  But if it's not public, we can't discuss it.  Rules discussions on Q&A, even if they come from the Rules committee, aren't binding unless publicly posted or included in the Rules document.  The locations of the Big 7 Tournaments (oops!  kidding!) in 2011 are not public information.  www.wftda.com and its subsites are your resources.  We can help understand documents, answer questions, etc.  But we are not, and are prohibited from, being liaisons to things we are unable to discuss.  I use "we" here instead of "I" because that goes for myself and the other two candidates, as well as anyone else here who has access to the WFTDA forums.  If you have other interests in a liaison here, however, that's another discussion entirely.
Philly Roller Girls
WFTDA Interim Games Officer
WFTDA Certified Referee: Level 5
"100% Less Dancing" - Dr. Vroom

Featured Product

Zebra Huddle Head Referee Bout Booklet

Featured Classifieds

ZH Files

How to Score a Point in Roller Derby
Rating: *****
Downloads: 4418
Views: 7399
Filesize: 327.61KB
Date: January 17, 2017, 04:21:03 am
Comments (0)
By: AdamSmasher
June 2013 Ruleset situational questions
Downloads: 2922
Views: 6011
Filesize: 29.71KB
Date: February 07, 2014, 04:57:32 pm
Comments (2)
By: Crash Test Ref
Rules Q&A and Publications for 6/15/13 Document
Rating: (None)
Downloads: 3126
Views: 6912
Filesize: 26.27KB
Date: August 02, 2013, 04:10:40 pm
Comments (0)
By: Shaun Ketterman
Rules Q&A and Publications for 1/1/13 Document (4/24/13 Updates)
Downloads: 3950
Views: 8939
Filesize: 28.07KB
Date: April 25, 2013, 05:45:34 pm
Comments (0)
By: Shaun Ketterman