Re: Rule clarification by Bluebeard
January 17, 2020, 05:26:46 am

Rule clarification by 3Beers
December 28, 2019, 06:04:00 pm

Re: Resources for new referees. by Destructor
November 29, 2019, 01:13:40 pm

Resources for new referees. by Destructor
November 26, 2019, 06:01:48 pm

Author Topic: Moderator candidates  (Read 14262 times)

All-Nate-Long

Re: Moderator candidates
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2010, 03:37:55 am »
Do you feel that a referee who is more involved with the overall circulation of information and ref occurrences inside Wftda would be in a more advantageous  position to be a moderator on ZH  ? ?

Offline Professor Murder

• Stats Sheet: 42
  • Insert Witticism Here.
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2010, 04:09:37 am »
That's an interesting question.  I think the goals of a moderator are to facilitate and keep conversation going on ZH.  It would be erroneous to place a person in the role of a moderator as a greater authority on a certain issue unless their specific credentials speak to that.

A moderator is, in my view, separate from a person who speaks as an expert on the matter.

So when I said earlier to vote for the person who would be the best moderator, vote on what you want a moderator to be.  Any of us would do a solid job, I'm certain.
Philly Roller Girls
WFTDA Interim Games Officer
WFTDA Certified Referee: Level 5
"100% Less Dancing" - Dr. Vroom

Offline noidd

• Stats Sheet: 28
  • Start with 100% accuracy and get better over time.
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2010, 05:33:24 am »
It would be erroneous to place a person in the role of a moderator as a greater authority on a certain issue unless their specific credentials speak to that.

As someone who has received unofficial guidance on a "star pass issue" from two wftda committee members which were complete opposites of each other I wonder if anyone has any authority to actually answer questions authoritatively.  That's actually a serious question.  Anyone?

From the number of "I speak only for myself not the wftda" disclaimers I see I'm thinking not - but then again I get "corrected" because "some people are more correct than others" and I'm meant to know who.

From out here - it's hard to tell who.

What I would like to see from a moderator:

I do respect the need to keep threads on topic but I would rather see a moderator who would split threads verses suppressing discussion.  Like Murder said, the "mistakes" pivot question I posted spawned two other very interesting questions.  I would have liked to have seen them spawned.

We're all sensible, respectful folks 99% of the time (and that 1% is usually misunderstanding).  I see a moderators role on this website as being more about facilitating than control.
--
Referees are not here to legislate, dictate, pontificate or participate.  We are there only to facilitate.

Offline Stegoscorus

• Stats Sheet: 51
  • STOP. Collaborate, and listen.
  • League Affiliation: Rose City Rollers
  • Referee Certification Level: Level 3
  • NSO Certification Level: Not Certified
« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2010, 06:14:54 am »
Murder is one of my favorite dudes, and has a lot of responsibility within WFTDA.  He's very visible to refs both in and out of the organization, through his work on Certification Committee, his reffing of tournaments, and his participation in online forums.

In general, when a position like this opens up, I like to see it go to someone who hasn't yet had such opportunities.  I think both Clique and Bishop are qualified, and should have the chance to hold a position within our community, and prove themselves as leaders.  Both of these guys are classy gentlemen with cute accents, they both wear their passion for reffing on their sleeves, and have both been very active members of Zebra Huddle for a long time. 

Clique and Bishop, jump in here and tell me who should get my vote!
WFTDA Certified Referee - Level 3
Founding Member, ARROW
Portland, OR, U.S.A.

Offline FNZebra

• Superhero Member
  • Stats Sheet: 35
  • I'm a shitty ref.
  • League Affiliation: Bleeding Heartland Roller Derby
  • Referee Certification Level: Not Certified
  • NSO Certification Level: Level 2
« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2010, 05:06:10 pm »
As someone who has received unofficial guidance on a "star pass issue" from two wftda committee members which were complete opposites of each other I wonder if anyone has any authority to actually answer questions authoritatively.  That's actually a serious question.  Anyone?

From the number of "I speak only for myself not the wftda" disclaimers I see I'm thinking not - but then again I get "corrected" because "some people are more correct than others" and I'm meant to know who.

From out here - it's hard to tell who.

noidd,

On some things, some people are indeed more correct. On other topics, maybe not so much. And that's with the exact same participants.

It is often hard to tell from within the other side of the gated community, too.  >:(
You will bout as you practice.

Cheers,

FN Zebra
Bleeding Heartland Roller Derby (WFTDA)
Bloomington, Indianer

Offline Cliquework

• Superhero Member
  • Stats Sheet: 55
  • EGO sum Speculum. Noxiae poena par esto.
  • League Affiliation: Demolition City Roller Derby
  • Referee Certification Level: Level 3
« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2010, 05:29:50 pm »
In general, when a position like this opens up, I like to see it go to someone who hasn't yet had such opportunities.  I think both Clique and Bishop are qualified, and should have the chance to hold a position within our community, and prove themselves as leaders. 

....cute accents.... 
Is there a line somewhere in your opinion that, prior to being crossed, allows some off topic-ness and, when crossed, needs to be shut down?  If so, can you elaborate on what and where that line is?

actually, it'd be nice if all three could take a swing at this one.

Foremost it needs to fall within the Zebra Huddle policies
Demolition City Roller Derby Head Ref
Evansville, IN
Zebra Huddle Moderator
WFTDA Refcert Checklist

Offline Bishop

• Superhero Member
  • Stats Sheet: 51
  • Quoth the raven, "Nevermore."
  • League Affiliation: Unaffiliated
  • Referee Certification Level: Level 2
« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2010, 06:28:41 am »
When I requested that my name be added to the mix of candidates, I wasn't sure that there would be any really qualified applicants.  I am pleased to see that I was wrong about that.

In the traditional sense of qualifications, I am the least qualified candidate.  I have the least amount of experience in terms of length of service than the other candidates.  I'm not certified and I'm not from a WFTDA member league.  The vast majority of my officiating experience falls squarely into the "backwater" derby catergory.  My online presence and decorum, as is well documented by this site, is a work in progress.  That being said, I think all of those qualificaitons save the online decorum, are irrelevant for the position.

As one of Zebra Huddle's most active members, I do have opinions about what I think is important for the Moderator position.  I think more thread splitting is necessary for users to be able to locate specific topics quickly.  I think that care needs to be taken when locking a thread as it can be viewed as a way to suppress dissenting dialogue.  I think it's important to remember that most users on here are learning so off-topic discussions are naturally going to crop up.  Therefore, I think a light touch is in order and that posters should be given the benefit of the doubt. 

However, more than any of this, I think that the WFTDA officiating community at large would benefit from having more leaders and more potential voices of influence.  Basically, I agree with Stego in that the position should go to someone who is not already part of the establishment.  In fact, I think a lot of referees think that way too.  Unfortunately, two of the candidates fall into that catergory.  Rather than dilute that pool, I'd like to respectfully request that my name be removed from the list of candidates.     
Recommended Resources:WFTDA Rules Central, WFTDA officiating & Successful Sports Officiating
Propose rule changes at timeout.wftda.com.

Offline Major Wood

• Administrator
  • Has Too Much Damn Time Member
  • Stats Sheet: 77
  • League Affiliation: Nashville Rollergirls
  • Referee Certification Level: Level 5
« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2010, 01:09:55 pm »
With that, I'm going to go ahead and start the voting. I will start a new thread momentarily, which will contain the poll.
Your friendly Zebra Huddle admin.

Nashville Roller Derby Head Ref
WFTDA Level 5 Certified Referee

I speak only of my opinions and interpretations.

Offline Major Wood

• Administrator
  • Has Too Much Damn Time Member
  • Stats Sheet: 77
  • League Affiliation: Nashville Rollergirls
  • Referee Certification Level: Level 5
« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2010, 01:21:13 pm »
Please go to the voting thread to place your vote. Thank you.
Your friendly Zebra Huddle admin.

Nashville Roller Derby Head Ref
WFTDA Level 5 Certified Referee

I speak only of my opinions and interpretations.

Offline Professor Murder

• Stats Sheet: 42
  • Insert Witticism Here.
« Reply #24 on: October 22, 2010, 07:00:37 pm »
Vote for Cliquework! 

That Hannah Montana trophy scandal turned out to be true, even if, like Rand Paul, I don't recall it happening.
Philly Roller Girls
WFTDA Interim Games Officer
WFTDA Certified Referee: Level 5
"100% Less Dancing" - Dr. Vroom

Featured Product

Zebra Huddle Head Referee Bout Booklet

Featured Classifieds

ZH Files

How to Score a Point in Roller Derby
Rating: *****
Downloads: 4238
Views: 7093
Filesize: 327.61KB
Date: January 17, 2017, 04:21:03 am
Comments (0)
By: AdamSmasher
June 2013 Ruleset situational questions
Downloads: 2783
Views: 5735
Filesize: 29.71KB
Date: February 07, 2014, 04:57:32 pm
Comments (2)
By: Crash Test Ref
Rules Q&A and Publications for 6/15/13 Document
Rating: (None)
Downloads: 2987
Views: 6540
Filesize: 26.27KB
Date: August 02, 2013, 04:10:40 pm
Comments (0)
By: Shaun Ketterman
Rules Q&A and Publications for 1/1/13 Document (4/24/13 Updates)
Downloads: 3809
Views: 7642
Filesize: 28.07KB
Date: April 25, 2013, 05:45:34 pm
Comments (0)
By: Shaun Ketterman