ZH Classifieds
ZH Files
ZH Staff
WFTDA 12/1/2014 Rules
WFTDA 3/1/2014 Rules

Donate

Please Support Zebra Huddle!

Recent Posts

Re: Clamping down with the upper arm by bmd (2113)
June 12, 2019, 07:54:29 pm

Re: Ref facepaint by Major Wood
June 12, 2019, 04:16:34 pm

Re: Ref facepaint by Rego_Derby
June 11, 2019, 11:35:08 pm

Re: Ref facepaint by Axis of Stevil
June 10, 2019, 06:56:10 pm

Re: Ref facepaint by Major Wood
June 10, 2019, 01:49:04 pm

Ref facepaint by Rego_Derby
June 09, 2019, 03:38:38 pm

Re: Answering a directional with forearms by Major Wood
April 30, 2019, 07:44:47 pm

Answering a directional with forearms by Rego_Derby
April 30, 2019, 05:56:20 pm

Re: Yielding to the opposite side of the track by Bluebeard
April 22, 2019, 07:21:28 pm

Yielding to the opposite side of the track by MyBabyDaddy
April 21, 2019, 03:22:45 am

Author Topic: color wrist bands for score keepers inside  (Read 12273 times)

Offline high angle hell

• Stats Sheet: 0
color wrist bands for score keepers inside
« on: October 20, 2010, 09:49:49 pm »
I have been doing jam reffing for our practice scrimmages and have a difficult time remembering who is the person that is taking down the points for my jammer since they are in street clothes and don't have NSO shirts on.

My Idea of cutting back on the confusion is have the score keeps wear color wrist bands to mark each score keeper with the jam ref for that specific team. Hopefully, the jam ref can spot the score keeper easier and know if his points have been written down and has received the proper number of points.

Any comments on this thought is welcomed?? I will post the response from our 2 jam refs on Sunday or Monday. The Intra-League bout is on Saturday, Oct. 23rd
High Angle Hell
VCRD Asst. Head Ref

Offline PotomacRipper

• Stats Sheet: 2
  • Ref Cat sez: Insubordination!
Re: color wrist bands for score keepers inside
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2010, 09:56:02 pm »
I generally do this.  I keep wristbands of every color in my skate bag.  When I'm jam reffing I give one that corresponds to mine to the score keeper to wear on the wrist they are holding up to mirror my score.

Usually our score keepers are on the outside and this helps me confirm the score quicker.

Offline ExceptionHandler

• Stats Sheet: 3
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2010, 10:04:24 pm »
In addition to wrist bands, I like to pair up the scorekeepers and jammer refs so they work with each other the entire bout.
Exception Handler
W.A.R.D (Western Australian Roller Derby)

Offline noidd

• Stats Sheet: 28
  • Start with 100% accuracy and get better over time.
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2010, 11:32:47 pm »
Yeah - I do this too with our scorekeepers on the outside except with material sashes.

Specifically - the sash is tied to the wrist that the scorekeeper uses to signal the number of points back.  That way the jam ref sees the reflected score hand-signal and the color in one easy glance.
--
Referees are not here to legislate, dictate, pontificate or participate.  We are there only to facilitate.

All-Nate-Long

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2010, 02:04:23 am »
I really like the colored wrist bands....

I tend to give the points followed by a thumbs up.. They respond with the points and a thumbs up..If there is a problem on either side jam referee or scorekeeper would use a thumbs down...

That is a new thing i just kinda came up with...

Offline high angle hell

• Stats Sheet: 0
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2010, 08:34:38 am »
thank you everyone for your comments. I think we are going to try this at our bout on Oct. 23rd. Sounds like it works pretty well from what I am reading of your post. I will let you know how it goes on Sunday or Monday. Thank you again.
High Angle Hell
VCRD Asst. Head Ref

Offline Major Wood

• Administrator
  • Has Too Much Damn Time Member
  • Stats Sheet: 77
  • League Affiliation: Nashville Rollergirls
  • Referee Certification Level: Level 5
  • NSO Certification Level: Not Certified
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2010, 01:27:47 pm »
I'm actually surprised that so many of you are doing this. I think they were doing this at Easterns this year (probably other tournaments as well). I have never noticed a colored wristband while jammer reffing. Meeting my scorekeeper before the bout and keeping that scorekeeper for the entire bout has always worked well. I've never had an issue spotting exactly who my scorekeeper was, except for if they had their head down, not paying attention.
Not to say it's a bad idea. I'm just saying it's a solution for a problem that I don't think really exists.

I tend to give the points followed by a thumbs up.. They respond with the points and a thumbs up..If there is a problem on either side jam referee or scorekeeper would use a thumbs down...

Don't do this. Show your points from the time you exit the engagement zone until you reach the rear of the engagement zone. During that lap, make eye contact with your scorekeeper. They should hold up the same number of points. If they are incorrect, show them again, making sure your hand signal is clear. If it is correct, give them a nod, or move on your way.
If the scorekeeper is infield, you can often get the score confirmed verbally. This way, you can keep your eyes completely on your jammer through the entire process.
Your friendly Zebra Huddle admin.

Nashville Roller Derby Head Ref
WFTDA Level 5 Certified Referee

I speak only of my opinions and interpretations.

Offline howie~swerve

• Stats Sheet: 20
  • Cake or death?
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2010, 01:53:23 pm »
Meeting my scorekeeper before the bout and keeping that scorekeeper for the entire bout has always worked well. I've never had an issue spotting exactly who my scorekeeper was, except for if they had their head down, not paying attention.

Ditto.  The person I usually have trouble spotting/remembering -- and who I wish would wear an enormous fedora of the appropriate color -- is the Penalty Tracker for my team (when there are two).  Since my Scorekeeper usually has nothing to do but watch out for my points, there's never an issue of finding them.  But the penalty tracker is almost never looking at me when I need them to be ... which, as a jamref, is usually between jams, or on those rare moments during a jam when I need to get or give info directly to them.  Finding them immediately and without confusion would be a good thing.

But the growing practice of having only one PT is obviating this...
Rollergirls of Central Kentucky (Lexington, KY)
"To protect and to swerve."

Offline noidd

• Stats Sheet: 28
  • Start with 100% accuracy and get better over time.
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2010, 02:03:14 pm »
in my crew I have a roving wrangler whose job it is is to pace with the inside pack refs.

When I have a well trained wrangler I dot have to worry about where the trackers are relative to me or move my head in their direction taking my eyes off the pack to call them in.

At the lower levels of play where I spend 90% of my time officiating we need two penalty trackers due to tithe inexperienced and sometimes unstable/sloppy play.

obviously in games like those the rate of penalties is higher so having one tracker isn't hugely practical.
--
Referees are not here to legislate, dictate, pontificate or participate.  We are there only to facilitate.

Offline Major Wood

• Administrator
  • Has Too Much Damn Time Member
  • Stats Sheet: 77
  • League Affiliation: Nashville Rollergirls
  • Referee Certification Level: Level 5
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2010, 02:45:39 pm »
obviously in games like those the rate of penalties is higher so having one tracker isn't hugely practical.

I disagree with both of those points. However...
If we are going to move this discussion toward penalty trackers, it should happen in a different thread.
Your friendly Zebra Huddle admin.

Nashville Roller Derby Head Ref
WFTDA Level 5 Certified Referee

I speak only of my opinions and interpretations.

Offline Doctor Skatan

• Stats Sheet: 2
  • Slightly less of a noob than I was yesterday...
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2010, 04:48:16 pm »
I've started handing coloured bands to penalty trackers as well as score trackers in scrimmaging so I know who I should ask for a jammer's minor count.
Granted, usually the wrangler + trackers have figured out all this before I've even looked at them, but then it only takes a glance at the hand attached to the correct colour to get the info.
Head Ref.
Glasgow Roller Girls (UK)

All-Nate-Long

« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2010, 07:51:15 pm »
Quote from: All-Nate-Long on Today at 12:04:23 AM

Don't do this. Show your points from the time you exit the engagement zone until you reach the rear of the engagement zone. During that lap, make eye contact with your scorekeeper. They should hold up the same number of points. If they are incorrect, show them again, making sure your hand signal is clear. If it is correct, give them a nod, or move on your way.
If the scorekeeper is infield, you can often get the score confirmed verbally. This way, you can keep your eyes completely on your jammer through the entire process.

I myself ...  Hold my points up the whole time and signal to the scorekeeper to make sure they have the correct points...  I brief thumbs up when they are holding the points back is a quick and effective way to ensure point tracking ....You dont have to take your eye off the jammmer as long as u are looking at both when you pass and as long as you are not  looking around for the scorekeeper...
This works  very well for me..  And its easy to understand for a new scorekeeper...
I believe im the only jam referee that has tried this but every scorekeeper I have done it with thought it was awesome...    This is just a thought

Offline DeCapitator

• Stats Sheet: 1
  • League Affiliation: Harrisburg Area Roller Derby
  • Referee Certification Level: Not Certified
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2010, 09:15:14 pm »

I brief thumbs up when they are holding the points back is a quick and effective way to ensure point tracking ....You dont have to take your eye off the jammmer as long as u are looking at both when you pass and as long as you are not  looking around for the scorekeeper...

Offline Bishop

• Superhero Member
  • Stats Sheet: 51
  • Quoth the raven, "Nevermore."
  • League Affiliation: Unaffiliated
  • Referee Certification Level: Level 2
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2010, 09:47:23 pm »

Hooray - DeCap in the house!   :)

Listen up!  He's one of those Level 1 certified officials

Recommended Resources:WFTDA Rules Central, WFTDA officiating & Successful Sports Officiating
Propose rule changes at timeout.wftda.com.

Featured Product

Zebra Huddle Head Referee Bout Booklet

Featured Classifieds

ZH Files

How to Score a Point in Roller Derby
Rating: *****
Downloads: 3156
Views: 4984
Filesize: 327.61KB
Date: January 17, 2017, 04:21:03 am
Comments (0)
By: AdamSmasher
June 2013 Ruleset situational questions
Downloads: 2256
Views: 4655
Filesize: 29.71KB
Date: February 07, 2014, 04:57:32 pm
Comments (2)
By: Crash Test Ref
Rules Q&A and Publications for 6/15/13 Document
Rating: (None)
Downloads: 2416
Views: 5185
Filesize: 26.27KB
Date: August 02, 2013, 04:10:40 pm
Comments (0)
By: Shaun Ketterman
Rules Q&A and Publications for 1/1/13 Document (4/24/13 Updates)
Downloads: 3201
Views: 5208
Filesize: 28.07KB
Date: April 25, 2013, 05:45:34 pm
Comments (0)
By: Shaun Ketterman