ZH Staff
WFTDA 12/1/2014 Rules
WFTDA 3/1/2014 Rules

Recent Posts

Re: "Unofficial" Referee Code of Conduct by Robertken
March 07, 2024, 12:24:50 am

The future of the "Referee Only" section. by Georgemaw
March 01, 2024, 04:04:34 am

Here is Practical Explanation about Next Life, Purpose of Human Life, by prabhuh
January 14, 2024, 08:45:28 am

Jammer helmet cover by Mystr Fox
May 10, 2021, 10:30:12 am

Re: Resources for new referees. by tamall
November 19, 2020, 04:30:47 am

Re: London Roller Derby Referee Sessions by tamall
November 19, 2020, 04:24:30 am

London Roller Derby Referee Sessions by 3Beers
July 14, 2020, 01:34:46 pm

Re: Jammer's time in penalty box by 3Beers
April 26, 2020, 09:46:33 pm

Getting officials attention by Rego_Derby
March 03, 2020, 04:05:02 am

Re: Jammer's time in penalty box by Major Wood
February 05, 2020, 05:52:31 pm

Author Topic: Penalty Box Timer (Flash)  (Read 22955 times)

Offline L8R SK8R

• Restricted User
  • Stats Sheet: -13
Penalty Box Timer (Flash)
« on: February 20, 2009, 01:24:41 pm »
Thinking that 2 people using 6 stop watches in the penalty box can get real confusing, and looking for a simpe solution, I had my brother design a Flash based program to do just that. It has 6 separate timers that can be set for 1 to 5 minutes. Each clock can be started or stopped individually, and all 6 of them can be started and stopped with the press of one button. Now, you just need one person sitting behind the box listening for jam start and stop whistles, not two. It may not be for your league, but its a pretty decent little program.

DerbyTimer.exe

Timers can be stopped by pushing green/red button in middle, or by pressing the space bar.

Enjoy!
« Last Edit: February 20, 2009, 06:10:40 pm by L8R SK8R »

Offline Major Wood

• Administrator
  • Has Too Much Damn Time Member
  • Stats Sheet: 77
  • League Affiliation: Nashville Rollergirls
  • Referee Certification Level: Level 5
  • NSO Certification Level: Not Certified
Re: Penalty Box Timer (Flash)
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2009, 01:29:13 pm »
I had one in the works a while back that would let you rearrange the timers based on where each skater was seated. It also let you just click on a seat to start a 1 minute timer, you could just click on it again at any point to add a minute. I stopped working on it a while back and I've been wanting to get back on it, but I haven't had the time.

The one you mention has an advantage over mine, which is that mine is windows only.
Your friendly Zebra Huddle admin.

Nashville Roller Derby Head Ref
WFTDA Level 5 Certified Referee

I speak only of my opinions and interpretations.

Offline Riff Reff

• Superhero Member
  • Stats Sheet: 30
  • League Affiliation: Dublin Roller Derby
  • Referee Certification Level: Not Certified
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2009, 02:09:35 pm »
how do you run an exe on a mac? do you have it as an swf as well?
Don't look at the game with rules-tinted glasses; look at the rules with game-tinted glasses!

Offline L8R SK8R

• Restricted User
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2009, 02:24:45 pm »

Ask and ye shall receive!

DerbyTimer.swf  <--- To download, right click on the link and then click on "Save Target As"
« Last Edit: February 20, 2009, 06:15:11 pm by L8R SK8R »

Offline Riff Reff

• Superhero Member
  • Stats Sheet: 30
  • League Affiliation: Dublin Roller Derby
  • Referee Certification Level: Not Certified
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2009, 02:39:01 pm »
awesome, dude. that thing is very slick! THANKS
Don't look at the game with rules-tinted glasses; look at the rules with game-tinted glasses!

Offline Three Majors

• Stats Sheet: 0
  • Everything in life is black and white
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2009, 03:13:52 pm »
Very slick. Thanks!
Three Majors $6m
Jammer Ref
Glasgow Roller Girls.

Offline Johnny Zebra

• Stats Sheet: 40
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2009, 04:25:15 pm »

DerbyTimer.swf

That's a great start. Treble Damage at CCRG has something similar, but with the added feature of when a player hits 10 seconds, they are moved down into another box. Otherwise, you cannot accommodate players sitting with players standing.

~j.z.
===============
Johnny Zebra
WFTDA Certified Referee (Level 3)
WFTDA Rules Q&A Working Group
Gotham Girls Roller Derby
Zebra Huddle Moderator

Offline L8R SK8R

• Restricted User
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2009, 04:35:52 pm »
That's a great start. Treble Damage at CCRG has something similar, but with the added feature of when a player hits 10 seconds, they are moved down into another box. Otherwise, you cannot accommodate players sitting with players standing.

~j.z.

Ouch... good call. Dang. Well, back to the drawing board. I think I may leave this up to others who actually know Flash. There's only so much one can ask family for. I guess if we use this it'll have to be in conjunction with stop watches as well in case of that possibilty. That being said, We need to start keeping 7 stop watches in the penalty box, in case there's an extreme situation where there are 4 blockers and a jammer in the box, at least 2 of the blockers have 10 seconds or less, and 2 more blockers get sent to the box. Seriously extreme, but possible.

Offline Cliquework

• Superhero Member
  • Stats Sheet: 55
  • EGO sum Speculum. Noxiae poena par esto.
  • League Affiliation: Demolition City Roller Derby
  • Referee Certification Level: Level 3
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2009, 05:36:12 pm »
Thinking that 2 people using 6 stop watches in the penalty box can get real confusing, and looking for a simpe solution, I had my brother design a Flash based program to do just that. It has 6 separate timers that can be set for 1 to 5 minutes. Each clock can be started or stopped individually, and all 6 of them can be started and stopped with the press of one button. Now, you just need one person sitting behind the box listening for jam start and stop whistles, not two. It may not be for your league, but its a pretty decent little program.

DerbyTimer.exe

Timers can be stopped by pushing green/red button in middle, or by pressing the space bar.

Enjoy!

Thanks, but please beware. I think I picked up a virus from the hosting page youre redirected to when downloading the .exe. It pretends to be a Spyware Blocker. One that is Spyware itself. Spyware Protect 2009 it was. It pretends to be scanning your computer and warning you of viruses. Happened right when I went there and started downloading. Anyone else have this? Could have been coincidence....

Great work though.....
« Last Edit: February 20, 2009, 05:39:38 pm by Cliquework »
Demolition City Roller Derby Head Ref
Evansville, IN
Zebra Huddle Moderator
WFTDA Refcert Checklist

Offline L8R SK8R

• Restricted User
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2009, 06:10:48 pm »

~j.z.

Been thinking about this. If a skater is standing and another one comes to the box, you can just continue counting down verbally for the standing player and reset the time for the now sitting skater. Not the best approach, but it'll do.

Thanks, but please beware. I think I picked up a virus from the hosting page youre redirected to when downloading the .exe. It pretends to be a Spyware Blocker. One that is Spyware itself. Spyware Protect 2009 it was. It pretends to be scanning your computer and warning you of viruses. Happened right when I went there and started downloading. Anyone else have this? Could have been coincidence....

Great work though.....

I'm not sure how that happened. I've updated the link so it links directly to the file instead of the download page.

Offline SeerSin

• League Affiliation: Minnesota Rollergirls
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2009, 03:51:21 pm »

DerbyTimer.swf  <--- To download, right click on the link and then click on "Save Target As"

Okay, this timer program is just lovely. Thanks! I now have it running on a linux based handheld computer, however the small buttons are hard to press on the small touch screen. Would you be willing to share the source files that would allow me to edit the program to make the buttons larger? Doing this could also open up the possibility of being able to run the application on some smart phones(I think some of them can run Flash) and could bring and end to timing woes.

Offline Major Wood

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2009, 05:12:11 pm »
Unfortunately, I don't think any smartphones can run flash. The palm pre is rumored to be the first to run a full implementation of flash.

Offline L8R SK8R

• Restricted User
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2009, 05:19:30 pm »
Okay, this timer program is just lovely. Thanks! I now have it running on a linux based handheld computer, however the small buttons are hard to press on the small touch screen. Would you be willing to share the source files that would allow me to edit the program to make the buttons larger? Doing this could also open up the possibility of being able to run the application on some smart phones(I think some of them can run Flash) and could bring and end to timing woes.

When you say source code, what exactly do you mean? Is it not the swf file? (You can tell I don't do Flash)
I've been doing some reading and apaprently Windows Mobile and Symbian OS smartphones are going to be the first to offer Flash 10, but not until 2010. I can ask my brother for different files if the swf isn't the source code. If you could make it usable on a smartphone or a blackberry you would be changing the penalty timing world forever!!

Offline Major Wood

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2009, 07:18:16 pm »
Java runs on just about everything.....

Offline SeerSin

• League Affiliation: Minnesota Rollergirls
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2009, 08:56:07 pm »
When you say source code, what exactly do you mean? Is it not the swf file? (You can tell I don't do Flash)
I've been doing some reading and apaprently Windows Mobile and Symbian OS smartphones are going to be the first to offer Flash 10, but not until 2010. I can ask my brother for different files if the swf isn't the source code. If you could make it usable on a smartphone or a blackberry you would be changing the penalty timing world forever!!

I'm no Flash expert either, I know at one point I had flash programs running on a windows mobile device, but currently can't get the derby timer to work. I'll have to keep tinkering and see if I can't make it work. In the mean time, the .fla files for Flash allow editing of the program, but sometimes programmers are loathe to pass those out as it means they loose control over their software, so I'd understand if he doesn't want to give them up.

Featured Product

Zebra Huddle Head Referee Bout Booklet

Featured Classifieds

ZH Files

How to Score a Point in Roller Derby
Rating: *****
Downloads: 5727
Views: 10051
Filesize: 327.61KB
Date: January 17, 2017, 04:21:03 am
Comments (0)
By: AdamSmasher
June 2013 Ruleset situational questions
Downloads: 4078
Views: 8338
Filesize: 29.71KB
Date: February 07, 2014, 04:57:32 pm
Comments (2)
By: Crash Test Ref
Rules Q&A and Publications for 6/15/13 Document
Rating: (None)
Downloads: 4461
Views: 9611
Filesize: 26.27KB
Date: August 02, 2013, 04:10:40 pm
Comments (0)
By: Shaun Ketterman
Rules Q&A and Publications for 1/1/13 Document (4/24/13 Updates)
Downloads: 5308
Views: 12378
Filesize: 28.07KB
Date: April 25, 2013, 05:45:34 pm
Comments (0)
By: Shaun Ketterman