Re: "Pincer" blocks = multipayer? by Bluebeard
July 11, 2019, 06:30:49 pm

"Pincer" blocks = multipayer? by Rego_Derby
July 11, 2019, 01:08:36 am

Re: Jammer Scoring Theory by Major Wood
June 26, 2019, 09:59:33 pm

Jammer Scoring Theory by Rego_Derby
June 25, 2019, 04:30:03 am

Re: Clamping down with the upper arm by bmd (2113)
June 12, 2019, 07:54:29 pm

Re: Ref facepaint by Major Wood
June 12, 2019, 04:16:34 pm

Re: Ref facepaint by Rego_Derby
June 11, 2019, 11:35:08 pm

Re: Ref facepaint by Axis of Stevil
June 10, 2019, 06:56:10 pm

Re: Ref facepaint by Major Wood
June 10, 2019, 01:49:04 pm

Ref facepaint by Rego_Derby
June 09, 2019, 03:38:38 pm

Author Topic: When is a skater standing?  (Read 8341 times)

Offline ShoNuff

• Stats Sheet: 29
  • League Affiliation: Mad Rollin' Dolls
  • Referee Certification Level: Not Certified
  • NSO Certification Level: Level 4
When is a skater standing?
« on: May 30, 2011, 11:33:39 pm »
Given that there exists something other than sitting and standing when a skater is ordered to stand for the final ten seconds of their stay in the penalty box, can the contents of the discussions and practices that define these other possibilities be summed up in some useful set of standards that can be used by someone working in the penalty box to identify when they should repeat the order to stand and when a skater has satisfied the defintion of standing?

Offline mick hawkins

• Superhero Member
  • Stats Sheet: 61
  • They're covers people. Helmet COVERS!
  • NSO Certification Level: Not Certified
Re: When is a skater standing?
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2011, 12:01:44 am »
There's standing and not standing.

This is standing:

Everything else isn't.

The rules say she MUST stand.
The skater needs to make her seat available.
The Referees and Penalty Box Manager need to be able to see that her seat is available.

It's not that difficult to grasp, really.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2011, 12:21:38 am by mick hawkins »
Sun State Roller Girls (WFTDA Apprentice League)
Brisbane, Australia

Offline J.D. Plowher

• Stats Sheet: 0
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2011, 04:08:04 am »
I was under the impression that for those final 10 seconds the skater could be standing, but had to have one foot touching the chair? Have I been wrongly informed  :-[

Offline FNZebra

• Superhero Member
  • Stats Sheet: 35
  • I'm a shitty ref.
  • League Affiliation: Bleeding Heartland Roller Derby
  • NSO Certification Level: Level 2
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2011, 04:15:59 am »
Penalty boxen are not standardized yet, due to venue considerations. One very common practice is to have tape down to demarcate where the box is, to make identifying when people are in it legally or illegally.

When instructed to stand, a skater must stand. When the venue permits it, both of her skates must remain within the box area.

Edit: I also had never realized how much nicer the Huddle could be with a little more Audrey.
You will bout as you practice.

Cheers,

FN Zebra
Bleeding Heartland Roller Derby (WFTDA)
Bloomington, Indianer

Offline The Gorram Reaver

• Referee
  • Stats Sheet: 60
  • Referee Certification Level: Level 2
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2011, 04:27:40 am »
I was under the impression that for those final 10 seconds the skater could be standing, but had to have one foot touching the chair? Have I been wrongly informed  :-[

• She must be standing, which I define as standing fully erect (see Mick's picture*).
  • She must be still within the designated boundary limits of the penalty box.
  • What she is or isn't touching while she is there is up to her.  If your venue set up does not actually provide a visible demarcation for the penalty box area, requiring skaters to be in physical contact with the chair they have just vacated may be one way to ensure they remain "in the penalty box" before they are told their time is done.  However, be aware that such a policy may create problems with skaters arriving to take a vacant seat during the last 10 seconds of a skaters penalty; you're likely to be better off taping out a boundary if not specifically prohibited from doing so by venue management.

*Cigarette holder & tiara are optional, but skaters using a them may be subject to penalty if they come loose & become debris on the track or are used as a weapon to impale other skaters.
The Gorram Reaver
Mad Rollin' Dolls, Madison, WI

Offline SeerSin

• Stats Sheet: 55
  • League Affiliation: Minnesota Rollergirls
  • Referee Certification Level: Level 5
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2011, 04:19:41 pm »
We can't require skaters to remain in contact with the chair. There is no rule governing that. The penalty box is ideally marked off with tape or other obvious border. If it isn't marked we can't impress arbitrary rules on the skaters simply because we neglected to lay down tape.

A skater who is standing reasonably close to the seats in an unmarked penalty box is still in the box for all intents and purposes. It's pretty clear when a skater leaves the box instead of waiting out her time.

Standing is standing, sitting is sitting. Crouching 2 inches over the chair isn't standing. Her status must be clear to the officials. Clarity is an easier metric to work than setting a specific distance.

Offline J.D. Plowher

• Stats Sheet: 0
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2011, 04:23:57 am »

• She must be standing, which I define as standing fully erect (see Mick's picture*).
  • She must be still within the designated boundary limits of the penalty box.
  • What she is or isn't touching while she is there is up to her.  If your venue set up does not actually provide a visible demarcation for the penalty box area, requiring skaters to be in physical contact with the chair they have just vacated may be one way to ensure they remain "in the penalty box" before they are told their time is done.  However, be aware that such a policy may create problems with skaters arriving to take a vacant seat during the last 10 seconds of a skaters penalty; you're likely to be better off taping out a boundary if not specifically prohibited from doing so by venue management.

*Cigarette holder & tiara are optional, but skaters using a them may be subject to penalty if they come loose & become debris on the track or are used as a weapon to impale other skaters.

Thank you for the suggestion, and I will suggest it to the track set up crew for our next home bout.

Offline Stegoscorus

• Stats Sheet: 51
  • STOP. Collaborate, and listen.
  • League Affiliation: Rose City Rollers
  • Referee Certification Level: Level 3
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2011, 10:11:02 pm »
I say she's standing if I can tell she's not sitting.  Many skaters like to crouch a bit in order to take off more effectively; if you can tell she's out of her chair, I say that's fine. 

Seer is right that clarity is what counts. 
WFTDA Certified Referee - Level 3
Founding Member, ARROW
Portland, OR, U.S.A.

Offline ShoNuff

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2011, 05:26:52 am »
In my limitted experience I've already encountered a few teams that quite obviously have adopted hovering as a standard strategy to attempt to conceal the end of their penalty from the opposing team.  And no one seems to have told them this isn't allowed.

So, I'm a penalty timer, I order a skater to stand and they move off the chair slightly but it's pretty clear to me that to someone who isn't standing right next to them they will probably still appear to be seated.  What do I do?

I can repeat the order to stand, but what if the simply ignore the request or look back at me in confusion because they believe they have already followed that instruction and the next thing they're expecting to hear is their dismissal from the box.

Do I have any options other than to let the referees know afterwards and hope it doesn't happen again when I will again have no option but to let them do it and let the referees know it is still happening?

Offline mick hawkins

• Superhero Member
  • Stats Sheet: 61
  • They're covers people. Helmet COVERS!
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2011, 05:50:40 am »
A very experienced certified Ref told me that if a skater refused to stand, he would stop timing her penalty and say something like "I can't continue to time your penalty until you stand"

Previous discussion here
« Last Edit: June 06, 2011, 06:07:58 am by mick hawkins »
Sun State Roller Girls (WFTDA Apprentice League)
Brisbane, Australia

Offline kornable

• Stats Sheet: 7
  • League Affiliation: Sun State Roller Girls
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2011, 06:26:34 am »
just wanted to add that as someone who does a lot of jam reffing, it's pretty essential (for scoring purposes) that i can spot quickly if my jammers opponents are standing so that i can tell if they are going to be re-entering soon.

Offline ShoNuff

« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2011, 05:20:34 pm »
I've bumped into the question of what is the justification for a timer to stop the time of a skater for not standing.  I don't have access to the previous discussion and was wondering if the essential argument is that without the ability to stop the time, the rule that a skater must stand cannot be enforced and the choice boils down to introduce a practice or eliminate a rule?

Offline Bishop

• Superhero Member
  • Stats Sheet: 51
  • Quoth the raven, "Nevermore."
  • League Affiliation: Unaffiliated
  • Referee Certification Level: Level 2
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2011, 05:46:34 pm »
I've bumped into the question of what is the justification for a timer to stop the time of a skater for not standing.  I don't have access to the previous discussion and was wondering if the essential argument is that without the ability to stop the time, the rule that a skater must stand cannot be enforced and the choice boils down to introduce a practice or eliminate a rule?

While not explicitly stated anywhere, it is very clearly implied that a penalty box timer has the authority to stop timing a penalty for "various reasons" in the WFTDA Officiating Standardized Practices.

Issue:

Further Penalty Box Practices

Standard Practice:

- If not timing a penalty for any reason (skater is not sitting, skater entered the wrong direction), the timer should inform the skater
« Last Edit: June 20, 2011, 05:51:59 pm by Bishop »
Recommended Resources:WFTDA Rules Central, WFTDA officiating & Successful Sports Officiating
Propose rule changes at timeout.wftda.com.

Offline Darkjester

• Has Too Much Damn Time Member
  • Stats Sheet: 39
  • "When in doubt, RTFM"
  • League Affiliation: Beach Brawl SK8R Dolls
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2011, 09:27:57 pm »
Its better (For the skater) than giving her an additional minute for leaving the Penalty box to soon no?

Madness Tolls
69¢
Beach Brawl Sk8R Dolls
Fort Walton Beach FL

Featured Product

Zebra Huddle Head Referee Bout Booklet

Featured Classifieds

ZH Files

How to Score a Point in Roller Derby
Rating: *****
Downloads: 3219
Views: 5132
Filesize: 327.61KB
Date: January 17, 2017, 04:21:03 am
Comments (0)
By: AdamSmasher
June 2013 Ruleset situational questions
Downloads: 2320
Views: 4784
Filesize: 29.71KB
Date: February 07, 2014, 04:57:32 pm
Comments (2)
By: Crash Test Ref
Rules Q&A and Publications for 6/15/13 Document
Rating: (None)
Downloads: 2479
Views: 5336
Filesize: 26.27KB
Date: August 02, 2013, 04:10:40 pm
Comments (0)
By: Shaun Ketterman
Rules Q&A and Publications for 1/1/13 Document (4/24/13 Updates)
Downloads: 3256
Views: 5320
Filesize: 28.07KB
Date: April 25, 2013, 05:45:34 pm
Comments (0)
By: Shaun Ketterman