Re: "Pincer" blocks = multipayer? by Bluebeard
July 11, 2019, 06:30:49 pm

"Pincer" blocks = multipayer? by Rego_Derby
July 11, 2019, 01:08:36 am

Re: Jammer Scoring Theory by Major Wood
June 26, 2019, 09:59:33 pm

Jammer Scoring Theory by Rego_Derby
June 25, 2019, 04:30:03 am

Author Topic: NSO Certification Levels  (Read 8994 times)

Offline REFENSTEIN

• Stats Sheet: 3
NSO Certification Levels
« on: February 06, 2011, 02:37:14 am »
I have been debating on which board to post this.

There are five levels of certification.  Referees are essentially 2-5 and NSO's are only level 1.

I look through this forum, the WFTDA forum and other derby forums and there are multiple discussions regarding the number of wranglers, the number of penalty trackers, how to mark the board etc.  In these discussions there is always people adamint that one system is better than the other.  I also see what I consider another VERY reasonable opinion that the quality of the NSO is more important than the system.

SO, IMO beleiving that it is qualifications of the NSO that is more important than the sytem being used why is there only one level of NSO certification?

Why not 3 or 4 levels.  Such as:
Level 1 - WTFDA Certified NSO
Level 2 - WFTDA Certified Tournament NSO
Level 3 - WFTDA Certified Head NSO
Level 4 - WFTDA Certified Tournament Head NSO

thOUGHTS?
Glass City Rollers - Head Referee
Toledo, Ohio

Offline Noah Tall

• Stats Sheet: 25
Re: NSO Certification Levels
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2011, 02:44:15 am »
That's a question for WFTDA. :)  We just work here.
WFTDA Ref Rep
WFTDA AP Area Coordinator
Arkansas

"We may not be skilled, but at least we're impartial!"

Offline Master Chief Sprinkles

• Stats Sheet: 0
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2011, 12:22:03 am »
I do believe there needs to be levels of NSO, just like the refs because some NSO's are more involved then others. Not saying they are not important or they don't do anything, but some do quite a bit more. I have been an NSO for ROSI for going on four seasons now. First season it was me, penalty tracker, jam timer and score whore. We since have gotten more paperwork and more people. Not all the same people each time but great volunteers. Currently I am the head NSO and Support Staff Wrangler. I handle the volunteers and all of the paperwork of the game and I am also the Penalty tracker for one of the teams. Over the years I have read all of the updates on the rules and some clarifications, and I have even started memorizing the hand signals from the refs. But here is how I believe the level NSO should go and some of their qualifications.

Level one - WFTDA rules test
Level two - WFTDA rules test,  oral understanding of NSO's duty on the track (random position)
Level three - WFTDA rules test, oral understanding of NSO's duty on the track and Ref Hand Signals
Level four - WFTDA rules test, oral understanding of NSO's duty on the track, Ref Hand Signals and is responsible for the paperwork being turned into the appropriate WFTDA rep.

The fourth level would obviously be the head NSO for the bout, because on the IBRF the Head NSO or Scorekeeper has to sign off on the sheet. I am pretty much basing these levels off my level of learning and involvement. I know I have repeated everything in each level, but I feel that at each next level that person should still be able to take each test and pass each time.   

Offline Major Wood

• Administrator
  • Has Too Much Damn Time Member
  • Stats Sheet: 77
  • League Affiliation: Nashville Rollergirls
  • Referee Certification Level: Level 5
  • NSO Certification Level: Not Certified
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2011, 02:40:29 am »
The problem with the levels that you listed is they are serving a completely different purpose than Referee Certification has been serving. In your levels, an NSO would be required to get level 1 in order to officiate a bout. Currently level 1 is establishing the top level NSOs.

I would recommend it be more in line with referee certification. Something more like this:

Level 1
Non-skating officials, able to perform non-referee officiating duties for WFTDA sanctioned interleague play

Level 2
Able to exceptionally perform non-referee officiating duties for WFTDA sanctioned interleague play

Level 3
Able to exceptionally perform all Head NSO duties for WFTDA sanctioned interleague play and perform non-referee officiating duties at the highest level of WFTDA competitive play

Level 4
Able to exceptionally perform all non-referee officiating duties for the highest level of WFTDA competitive play

Level 5
Able to exceptionally fulfill all non-referee officiating duties and administrative tasks and responsibilities of a WFTDA Tournament Head NSO, and able to exceptionally perform all non-referee officiating duties for the highest level of WFTDA competitive play
Your friendly Zebra Huddle admin.

Nashville Roller Derby Head Ref
WFTDA Level 5 Certified Referee

I speak only of my opinions and interpretations.

Offline HIM-roid

• Stats Sheet: 14
  • League Affiliation: Mississippi Rollergirls
  • Referee Certification Level: Level 2
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2011, 03:14:09 am »
the only problem I could see with that is requiring an NSO to be certified to work a sanctioned interleague bout when most leagues are happy to have a body to fill an NSO position. If they were going to go with NSO certifications, I think tey should have an eval form in each of the positions to reach a certain level. Just a thought.
HIM-roid
WFTDA Apprentice Officials Area Coordinator
Head of Officiating
Mississippi Rollergirls
WFTDA-Certified Referee, Level 2
WFTDA Officials Apprentice Program Area Coordinator

Offline JoeXCore

• Superhero Member
  • Stats Sheet: 20
  • Will go anywhere to which I can afford to travel.
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2011, 03:21:29 am »
the only problem I could see with that is requiring an NSO to be certified to work a sanctioned interleague bout when most leagues are happy to have a body to fill an NSO position. If they were going to go with NSO certifications, I think tey should have an eval form in each of the positions to reach a certain level. Just a thought.

Nothing was said about requiring cert. Just as currently cert is not required to ref sanctioned bouts.
Black n Bluegrass Roller Girls - head referee
MRDA Recognized Refree

Offline Master Chief Sprinkles

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2011, 04:32:27 am »

Level 1
Non-skating officials, able to perform non-referee officiating duties for WFTDA sanctioned interleague play

Level 2
Able to exceptionally perform non-referee officiating duties for WFTDA sanctioned interleague play

Level 3
Able to exceptionally perform all Head NSO duties for WFTDA sanctioned interleague play and perform non-referee officiating duties at the highest level of WFTDA competitive play

Level 4
Able to exceptionally perform all non-referee officiating duties for the highest level of WFTDA competitive play

Level 5
Able to exceptionally fulfill all non-referee officiating duties and administrative tasks and responsibilities of a WFTDA Tournament Head NSO, and able to exceptionally perform all non-referee officiating duties for the highest level of WFTDA competitive play

I have never seen this quote anywhere. I was not trying to imply that everybody that NSO's needs to get lvl 1. Trust me  I am very happy to just get a body to help me in the middle some games. I just know that most of you have to pass certain skill sets and do so many bouts before reaching certain levels. I was going more along the line for skill sets for NSO's not just their over all performance.

Offline Riff Reff

• Superhero Member
  • Stats Sheet: 30
  • League Affiliation: Dublin Roller Derby
  • Referee Certification Level: Not Certified
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2011, 03:19:58 pm »
why is there only one level of NSO certification?

Because that is how the current system is set up.

We had a discussion recently in Berlin with Bloody Mary where she promoted the WFTDA certification system. (And I promoted the European mirrored system which is meant to be a placeholder until WFTDA certification becomes more available to Europeans).

There she told us that there is an ongoing discussion if the system should be changed to an indidual branch for NSO's like the one you proposed.

So give it some time.. it might turn out just the way you would like to have it.
Don't look at the game with rules-tinted glasses; look at the rules with game-tinted glasses!

Offline Major Wood

• Administrator
  • Has Too Much Damn Time Member
  • Stats Sheet: 77
  • League Affiliation: Nashville Rollergirls
  • Referee Certification Level: Level 5
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2011, 05:24:14 pm »
I have never seen this quote anywhere. I was not trying to imply that everybody that NSO's needs to get lvl 1. Trust me  I am very happy to just get a body to help me in the middle some games. I just know that most of you have to pass certain skill sets and do so many bouts before reaching certain levels. I was going more along the line for skill sets for NSO's not just their over all performance.

It's because it's not a quote from anywhere. I modified the referee certification levels and put it in a quote to clearly separate it.
What my point was, is it sounds like what each league should be doing. In your example, if someone can't pass level 1, they have no business officiating in a bout. Instead of being achievements for excellence in officiating.
Your friendly Zebra Huddle admin.

Nashville Roller Derby Head Ref
WFTDA Level 5 Certified Referee

I speak only of my opinions and interpretations.

Offline ttjustice

• Stats Sheet: 18
  • And Justice for All!
  • League Affiliation: Ohio Roller Girls
  • NSO Certification Level: Level 2
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2011, 08:13:25 pm »
OHRg is currently setting up an internal "tier" system for refs and NSO's to measure performance in order to determine what types of things they can and cannot do.  Its setting up goals and expectations so everyone knows what is needed and expected in order to do certain things during a bout.  We will do as much training as possible but its up to that person to put in the work.  We figure if the players do this already, so should the officials so we all know where we stand and what we need to do to continue to improve.
Timothy T. Justice
Ohio Roller Girls Head of Officiating 2011-2013
Retired Level 3 Skating Official
WFTDA Rules Theory Clerk

Offline HIM-roid

« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2011, 01:49:28 am »
TT, when you get your evaluation process done, is there anyway I can get a copy of it and see what our Head NSO and Head Ref think about it? Thanks in advance.
HIM-roid
Head of Officiating
Mississippi Rollergirls

Offline ttjustice

• Stats Sheet: 18
  • And Justice for All!
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2011, 06:13:16 pm »
I'll have to check with the league first.  I am hoping its something they might even allow to be posted on ZH.  Its being constructed on other leagues models so I can't say its completely proprietary so I would hope not to encounter much resistance.
Timothy T. Justice
Ohio Roller Girls Head of Officiating 2011-2013
Retired Level 3 Skating Official
WFTDA Rules Theory Clerk

Offline HIM-roid

« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2011, 08:33:52 pm »
That's totally understandable. Thanks.
HIM-roid
Head of Officiating
Mississippi Rollergirls

Offline deadeye

« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2011, 08:24:48 pm »
We borrowed it from Montreal.

http://officiating.mtlrd.com/
2013 Ohio Roller Girls Head of Officiating
WFTDA Nerd Herd Chair

Offline SodOff

• League Affiliation: Cincinnati Rollergirls
  • NSO Certification Level: Level 3
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2011, 03:05:45 pm »
Thanks for the link, Deadeye!

It's interesting because we just put a very similar tiered NSO system into place this season at Cincinnati. We did it to set expectations, add structure, and motivate the crew. We weren't aware of the MTLRD tiers, but our system is remarkably similar. I did find some parts of MTLRD ranks that we will adopt going forward.  ;D

For leagues concerned about getting enough NSOs to move through a ranking system... I'm here to tell you that having levels and associated benefits has been successful beyond our imagination in improving crew motivation and training. It takes some work to set up and maintain such a system, but not nearly as much work as it was to find and retain qualified NSOs!
Sod Off
Co-Head NSO
Cincinnati Rollergirls

Featured Product

Zebra Huddle Head Referee Bout Booklet

Featured Classifieds

ZH Files

How to Score a Point in Roller Derby
Rating: *****
Downloads: 3974
Views: 6557
Filesize: 327.61KB
Date: January 17, 2017, 04:21:03 am
Comments (0)
By: AdamSmasher
June 2013 Ruleset situational questions
Downloads: 2583
Views: 5355
Filesize: 29.71KB
Date: February 07, 2014, 04:57:32 pm
Comments (2)
By: Crash Test Ref
Rules Q&A and Publications for 6/15/13 Document
Rating: (None)
Downloads: 2784
Views: 5994
Filesize: 26.27KB
Date: August 02, 2013, 04:10:40 pm
Comments (0)
By: Shaun Ketterman
Rules Q&A and Publications for 1/1/13 Document (4/24/13 Updates)
Downloads: 3578
Views: 5981
Filesize: 28.07KB
Date: April 25, 2013, 05:45:34 pm
Comments (0)
By: Shaun Ketterman