Re: "Pincer" blocks = multipayer? by Bluebeard
July 11, 2019, 06:30:49 pm

"Pincer" blocks = multipayer? by Rego_Derby
July 11, 2019, 01:08:36 am

Re: Jammer Scoring Theory by Major Wood
June 26, 2019, 09:59:33 pm

Jammer Scoring Theory by Rego_Derby
June 25, 2019, 04:30:03 am

Re: Clamping down with the upper arm by bmd (2113)
June 12, 2019, 07:54:29 pm

Re: Ref facepaint by Major Wood
June 12, 2019, 04:16:34 pm

Re: Ref facepaint by Rego_Derby
June 11, 2019, 11:35:08 pm

Re: Ref facepaint by Axis of Stevil
June 10, 2019, 06:56:10 pm

Author Topic: Introductions  (Read 3057 times)

Offline Gimme Mo

• Stats Sheet: 0
Introductions
« on: May 07, 2011, 04:04:49 am »
So I figured I'd be the one to break the ice on the new NSO section.  I thought it might be interesting and a good idea for all of us NSOs to introduce ourselves and get to know one another.   How about everyone give their derby name, what league you're affiliated with (if you're affiliated), what your favorite NSO position to work is and why, and what got you into NSOing.  I'll even start us off...

My derby name is Gimme Mo and I'm currently co-head NSO for Memphis Roller Derby.  My favorite NSO position is working as penalty wrangler.  I like it because it's kinda like organizing mass chaos.  I just get it, plus it keeps me moving during a bout rather than being rooted to one spot.  I ended up becoming an NSO because I originally started out training as a skater, got hurt really bad a couple of times, so I figured I'd train to ref skate, got hurt doing that, so I figured I'd just NSO in the meantime until I get REALLY super good insurance lol! 
NSO
Memphis Roller Derby

Offline Numb3r Crunch3r

• Stats Sheet: 13
  • League Affiliation: Sun State Roller Girls
  • Referee Certification Level: Level 2
  • NSO Certification Level: Not Certified
Re: Introductions
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2011, 04:46:02 am »
Awesome :)

My derby name is Numb3r CruncH3r, but I generally get called Jen. I'm currently a ref-in-training at Sun State Roller Girls (Brisbane, Australia) and I started NSOing at the start of this year. I've worked solely as a jammer penalty timer/penalty box manager (including the penalty box stats recording sheet), and so far I've worked 3 full bouts (including the recent interleague rematch between Sun State and Victoria) and a demo bout (fairly casual, 20 minute halves).

I like NSOing, in the general sense, because I like the idea of being *involved* in a game. Watching from the crowd is an incredible experience, but being right there in the middle of the action, and answerable, to an extent, for the success of the game from an officiating perspective, is a really good feeling. I like jammer penalty timing, specifically, because while a lot of the time, perhaps not much is happening - when you're on, you have to be *on*.

My favourite part of scrimmage training is when I get to stand there with two stopwatches and time all six penalty box seats by myself. But the thing I need to work on most is the paperwork :)

Offline Major Wood

• Administrator
  • Has Too Much Damn Time Member
  • Stats Sheet: 77
  • League Affiliation: Nashville Rollergirls
  • Referee Certification Level: Level 5
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2011, 10:36:52 pm »
As nice as these kinds of threads seem to be, please remember that most people who use ZH are trying to do so to better their professional knowledge of officiating flat track roller derby. Having to wade through posts that aren't content-rich is counter to the purpose of this site.
Your friendly Zebra Huddle admin.

Nashville Roller Derby Head Ref
WFTDA Level 5 Certified Referee

I speak only of my opinions and interpretations.

Offline Howe Long

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2011, 06:26:56 pm »
Derby Name "Howe Long" but Rod is my name. I'm an NSO with the River City Roller Girls in Central VA (Richmond) and just wanted to thank the administrator for starting this section. We need love to! I am available in the Mid Atlantic states (VA, MD, and North Carolina area) and can help with a months notice!

Peace!

Offline SmackTavish

• Stats Sheet: 1
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2011, 10:12:16 pm »
I'm SmackTavish, Brandywine Roller Girls, in the Philly suburbs.

I got into NSOing when my friend was still freshmeat and they needed, well, NSOs. That was February of 2011.

Fast forward to May, when the head NSO (Dick Dungeomaster) said he was taking a year off for grad school on the other side of the country. As I was the quickest learner (and only NSO who wasn't also freshmeat or L2), Dickie asked if I could take over.

I like scorekeeping the best, partly because our Jam refs are really good at communicating with the scorekeepers. Barring that, I'd go with Jam Timer since they get to watch the action more than the refs or a stopwatch.
--SmackTavish

Brandywine Roller Girls Head NSO

Offline InvaderSin

• League Affiliation: Richter City Roller Derby
  • Referee Certification Level: Not Certified
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2013, 12:25:37 am »
Thought I'd pop in and say hi from New Zealand.

I'm InvaderSin from one of NZs newest WFTDA Apprentice leagues..Richter City Roller Derby...I (and my fellow buddy Colin) are Head NSO for our league this year, and this is our 2nd year as NSOs.

We are working towards to NSO certification and can't wait for our first international bout this year against VRDL (Australia).
^v^ Invader Sin ^v^
2014 Head of Officials - Richter City Roller Derby
2013/14 Head of NSOs - NZ Roller Derby Association
2013/14 NSO Rep to Management - NZRDA

Featured Product

Zebra Huddle Head Referee Bout Booklet

Featured Classifieds

ZH Files

How to Score a Point in Roller Derby
Rating: *****
Downloads: 3265
Views: 5265
Filesize: 327.61KB
Date: January 17, 2017, 04:21:03 am
Comments (0)
By: AdamSmasher
June 2013 Ruleset situational questions
Downloads: 2364
Views: 4875
Filesize: 29.71KB
Date: February 07, 2014, 04:57:32 pm
Comments (2)
By: Crash Test Ref
Rules Q&A and Publications for 6/15/13 Document
Rating: (None)
Downloads: 2527
Views: 5439
Filesize: 26.27KB
Date: August 02, 2013, 04:10:40 pm
Comments (0)
By: Shaun Ketterman
Rules Q&A and Publications for 1/1/13 Document (4/24/13 Updates)
Downloads: 3299
Views: 5424
Filesize: 28.07KB
Date: April 25, 2013, 05:45:34 pm
Comments (0)
By: Shaun Ketterman