Re: "Pincer" blocks = multipayer? by Bluebeard
July 11, 2019, 06:30:49 pm

"Pincer" blocks = multipayer? by Rego_Derby
July 11, 2019, 01:08:36 am

Re: Jammer Scoring Theory by Major Wood
June 26, 2019, 09:59:33 pm

Jammer Scoring Theory by Rego_Derby
June 25, 2019, 04:30:03 am

Re: Clamping down with the upper arm by bmd (2113)
June 12, 2019, 07:54:29 pm

Re: Ref facepaint by Major Wood
June 12, 2019, 04:16:34 pm

Author Topic: Looking to get some evaluations from a WFTDA sanctioned bout  (Read 6688 times)

Offline James Harper

• Stats Sheet: 2
  • League Affiliation: Lowcountry Highrollers
  • Referee Certification Level: Not Certified
  • NSO Certification Level: Not Certified
Hello all. I am trying to get my level 2 cert and need to get an eval from a sanctioned game. I have tried the two closest teams to my area, Jacksonville and Atlanta with no luck. The bouts are full or conflict with one of our home games. I am willing to travel up to 8 hours to seek the eval. Even if it is poor so that I know what to work on. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I am going to also contact Cape Fear and Charolette.

Thanks all
These are merely my interpretations and opinions. I am here to gain and share knowledge.

If I am mistaken or calling incorrectly I am happy to be educated.

Offline Major Wood

• Administrator
  • Has Too Much Damn Time Member
  • Stats Sheet: 77
  • League Affiliation: Nashville Rollergirls
  • Referee Certification Level: Level 5
Re: Looking to get some evaluations from a WFTDA sanctioned bout
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2011, 07:06:08 pm »
Good luck. Getting evaluations is no easy task. Most people don't get a single one from most bouts they work where they are eligible to receive them.
Also, you said "need to get an eval from a sanctioned game". Singular "eval". I wouldn't consider applying until you have 7-10 evals submitted. That's a personal recommendation, not one from Referee Certification. I personally don't feel comfortable applying until I have at least 15 submitted.
Your friendly Zebra Huddle admin.

Nashville Roller Derby Head Ref
WFTDA Level 5 Certified Referee

I speak only of my opinions and interpretations.

Offline James Harper

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2011, 07:34:26 pm »
Good luck. Getting evaluations is no easy task. Most people don't get a single one from most bouts they work where they are eligible to receive them.
Also, you said "need to get an eval from a sanctioned game". Singular "eval". I wouldn't consider applying until you have 7-10 evals submitted. That's a personal recommendation, not one from Referee Certification. I personally don't feel comfortable applying until I have at least 15 submitted.

Thanks Wood. It is a little discouraging to hear that they are tough to get. Especially since I respect the idea of getting 7 to 15. Thanks though. I will keep trying. Maybe I will have to expand my search.
These are merely my interpretations and opinions. I am here to gain and share knowledge.

Offline Bishop

• Superhero Member
  • Stats Sheet: 51
  • Quoth the raven, "Nevermore."
  • League Affiliation: Unaffiliated
  • Referee Certification Level: Level 2
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2011, 11:29:33 pm »

Thanks Wood. It is a little discouraging to hear that they are tough to get. Especially since I respect the idea of getting 7 to 15. Thanks though. I will keep trying. Maybe I will have to expand my search.

I'd suggest at least trying to take the cert rules test and/or skating test somewhere first.  At least, I'm more likely to give an unfamiliar ref an opportunity to officiate if I know they're committed.  Passing those cert tests would help convince me.  Also, keep in mind that bouts between Apprentice leagues and AP/member leagues count too.  I mention this because I'm thinking your list should be a little longer (BRRG, CQS, etc.)
« Last Edit: July 15, 2011, 01:54:56 pm by Bishop »
Recommended Resources:WFTDA Rules Central, WFTDA officiating & Successful Sports Officiating
Propose rule changes at timeout.wftda.com.

Offline James Harper

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2011, 12:31:28 am »
Thank Bishop. I was under the misconception it had to be an already approved league. I will expand and yes i am taking skating skills on August 13. I am planning on taking the written as soon as possible. Just waiting to hear back from a few leagues.

Thanks for all the help guys and gals.

Offline Wheels Bohr

• Stats Sheet: 4
  • One who has made all the mistakes is an expert.
  • League Affiliation: Tallahassee RollerGirls
  • Referee Certification Level: Level 2
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2011, 02:50:44 am »
Send a message to the head ref of Tallahassee, I can't promise anything but we have a few games coming up. It's a bit of a drive but not much further than Atlanta. Message me if you need the email address.
Wheels Bohr
Tallahassee RollerGirls

Offline Darkjester

• Has Too Much Damn Time Member
  • Stats Sheet: 39
  • "When in doubt, RTFM"
  • League Affiliation: Beach Brawl SK8R Dolls
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2011, 03:39:55 pm »
And its only 2 hours from Jacksonville..
Madness Tolls
69¢
Beach Brawl Sk8R Dolls
Fort Walton Beach FL

Offline Noah Tall

• Stats Sheet: 25
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2011, 12:03:18 am »
I've been reffing for a WFTDA league for over 2 years now.  I have 5 evals.  My best advice to you, is that whenever you see a post go up accepting applications for a tournament, take it.  Apply to as many tournaments as you can afford.  It's no guarantee that you'll get evals, but it's more bang for your buck, so to speak.
WFTDA Ref Rep
WFTDA AP Area Coordinator
Arkansas

"We may not be skilled, but at least we're impartial!"

Offline Brad Religion

• Stats Sheet: 7
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2011, 01:09:27 am »
I've got eight. I should have something more like twenty. I've been able to do evals on several occasions this season. This last round is the latest I've ever finished... And I got them inside of the week following the bout.

I don't understand what takes people so long - or makes them not even bother. As much as skaters complain during bouts, you would think they'd want WFTDA to know what they think of us. ::)
Bleeding Heartland Roller Girls
Bloomington, IN

Offline James Harper

« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2011, 06:07:26 am »
I've got eight. I should have something more like twenty. I've been able to do evals on several occasions this season. This last round is the latest I've ever finished... And I got them inside of the week following the bout.

I don't understand what takes people so long - or makes them not even bother. As much as skaters complain during bouts, you would think they'd want WFTDA to know what they think of us. ::)

Thank for the ideas. I am going to start harassing all the leagues and see what i can do to get my name in tourneys and become a little better known to get the evals. I love this sport and want to obtain my certs for myself and benefit my league.

Offline fiona poppins

• Stats Sheet: 0
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2011, 05:47:14 am »

i was wondering if any ref out there would be interested in a tornament for refs by refs specificlly for the getting and working on evaluations, also leaarning and establishing conections for future evaluation porposes

Offline James Harper

« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2011, 12:34:58 pm »
YES! I don't have a lot of details yet but Savannah is also looking at possibly running a referee clinic in january. One component would possibly be WFTDA assessments. This is in its infancy and so far we have a couple of WFTDA refs in mind to run this and have begun to contact them. If there are interested WFTDA refs or people wanting to put input as to content..that is welcomed. If you are a WFTDA ref and are interested in helping us put on this clinic please PM me and I will give you somemore info. However if another league gets one going too I would be interested.

Sorry if this is posted in the wrong section or not allowed on the site. We are just beginning to formulate a plan so details are a little lacking right now...date would be january 14th in Savannah, Ga.

Offline Noah Tall

• Stats Sheet: 25
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2011, 11:24:06 pm »
Just remember that the only evals that count are those from regulation and sanctioned bouts, and sanctioned bouts carry heavier weight with ref cert.  So, you need to make sure that you only invite WFTDA teams to play, and if you are requesting sanctioning of any bouts, you need to get the paperwork turned in early!
WFTDA Ref Rep
WFTDA AP Area Coordinator
Arkansas

"We may not be skilled, but at least we're impartial!"

Offline James Harper

« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2011, 02:30:28 am »
Just remember that the only evals that count are those from regulation and sanctioned bouts, and sanctioned bouts carry heavier weight with ref cert.  So, you need to make sure that you only invite WFTDA teams to play, and if you are requesting sanctioning of any bouts, you need to get the paperwork turned in early!

Thanks Noah Tall. We aren't even wftda apprentices yet so I have been traveling extensively soaking up knowledge and so forth. We are hoping to gain apprenticeship within the next year.

Offline mick hawkins

• Superhero Member
  • Stats Sheet: 61
  • They're covers people. Helmet COVERS!
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2011, 02:41:03 am »

Consider yourself lucky you live in the US, and not on an isolated island that's a 17+ hour plane flight away.   ;)

(Which really speaks to the outstanding effort that Harry Spot'er made to become Australia's first certified ref.)
Sun State Roller Girls (WFTDA Apprentice League)
Brisbane, Australia

Featured Product

Zebra Huddle Head Referee Bout Booklet

Featured Classifieds

ZH Files

How to Score a Point in Roller Derby
Rating: *****
Downloads: 3938
Views: 6461
Filesize: 327.61KB
Date: January 17, 2017, 04:21:03 am
Comments (0)
By: AdamSmasher
June 2013 Ruleset situational questions
Downloads: 2559
Views: 5302
Filesize: 29.71KB
Date: February 07, 2014, 04:57:32 pm
Comments (2)
By: Crash Test Ref
Rules Q&A and Publications for 6/15/13 Document
Rating: (None)
Downloads: 2755
Views: 5913
Filesize: 26.27KB
Date: August 02, 2013, 04:10:40 pm
Comments (0)
By: Shaun Ketterman
Rules Q&A and Publications for 1/1/13 Document (4/24/13 Updates)
Downloads: 3551
Views: 5908
Filesize: 28.07KB
Date: April 25, 2013, 05:45:34 pm
Comments (0)
By: Shaun Ketterman