ZH Staff
WFTDA 12/1/2014 Rules
WFTDA 3/1/2014 Rules

Donate

Please Support Zebra Huddle!

Recent Posts

Ohio Roller Derby Home Season by Stray Taco
January 04, 2019, 10:12:22 pm

Cincinnati Rollergirls 2019 Home Season by bmd (2113)
December 11, 2018, 05:06:50 pm

Re: 4.1.1 Intiator of Illegal Target Zone by AdamSmasher
November 15, 2018, 01:32:07 pm

Re: Intentionally not reporting to the penalty box and return to the track by AdamSmasher
November 15, 2018, 01:23:11 pm

Intentionally not reporting to the penalty box and return to the track by constanza
November 13, 2018, 06:57:39 pm

4.1.1 Intiator of Illegal Target Zone by Rego_Derby
November 07, 2018, 01:14:35 am

Nashville Rollergirls 2019 Scrimmage-A-Thon - 2/2/2019 by Major Wood
November 05, 2018, 07:49:04 pm

October 27th Savannah, Georgia- Blocktoberfest Junior Scrimmage Refs needed by TerryT
October 19, 2018, 01:46:12 am

Low Down Throw Down 2019 - May 3-5 - Augusta, GA by Damn Yankee
October 15, 2018, 10:33:04 pm

Re: Directional While Straddling by Vanilla VICE
October 03, 2018, 03:14:54 pm

Author Topic: White Board: Best Practices  (Read 12108 times)

Offline naughty

• Stats Sheet: 0
White Board: Best Practices
« on: August 13, 2011, 01:50:57 am »
Hi, all,

I am hoping to start a topic about white board best practices.  If you were to create a "dream" white board:
  • What would the dimensions be?
  • What material would it be made out of?
  • What size would the letters/numbers be?
  • How would it be laid out/designed/look?
  • How portable should it be?  Is weight an issue?
  • At what height should the topmost part of the board be?
  • What other things should be considered?

And as a secondary part of this thread, what is the best implementation of a white board that you've seen?  (i.e dream in the first part vs reality in the second part)

Thanks in advance for any responses!  
« Last Edit: August 13, 2011, 04:21:46 am by naughty »

Offline ShoNuff

• Stats Sheet: 29
  • League Affiliation: Mad Rollin' Dolls
  • Referee Certification Level: Not Certified
  • NSO Certification Level: Level 4
Re: White Board: Best Practices
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2011, 05:46:44 am »
The way we've gone is to upgrade the technology to get around a lot of the issues with the white board.

We use a fairly small board that can be carried by one person and sit on a normal presentation tripod to keep the board at a comfortable height for writing.

Behind the penalty box, we have a long table that goes the length of the box.  In the middle of the table is a camera on a tripod to raise it above the heads of the penalty box staff.  The camera is aimed at the whiteboard.  We then feed that into a computer at one end of the table which acts as a server and then we have another computer at the other end of the table with a wireless connection to the server.  Both benches then have a computer that has the output of the camera so they have a clear, close up view of the whiteboard available to them at all times.

Any outside NSO staff that needs to see the board can step over to either computer as well.  The wireless netowrk also serves double duty in that we use it to connect our scoreboard computer to the system being used to record the bout so they can put on scoreboard overlays and the like as they record.

It's probably more expensive than some other whiteboard options, but you don't need anything high end for this so if you are investing much in your whiteboard, I'd seriously think about going this route.  I've heard very favorable comments from several visiting teams as this system lets the bench staff effectively stand right next to the board without having to leave their bench area.

Offline SmackTavish

• Stats Sheet: 1
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2012, 04:30:46 am »
My "dream" whiteboard is not to have one at all. (Truth.) The skaters/benches say they can't read it, anyway.

Things to keep in mind:
1. the height of your IWB person. don't make it extra-tall if you have smallfrys on your NSO team.
2. the sightlines of the fans. We had a great whiteboard that garnered a lot of complaints from the fans since they couldn't see the pack at the start of the jams. Easy enough fix; we sawed about 6 inches from the legs.
3. that you have enough whiteboard markers. your IWB and OWB WILL leave the arena with unknowingly-pocketed markers. I have one from a league that's about an hour away from me, so I know.
4. we switch marker colors at the half, making it easier on the trackers. if someone ends period 1 with 3 minors and all of a sudden they have just 2, the different color is a good reminder that the change in period and subsequent minors have altered what is posted on the board.
5. that you have good erasers. our OWB usually have wristbands. we've tried wristbands, handtowels, and just our hands. I will be picking up a pair or more of black stretchy gloves to use this season. 
--SmackTavish

Brandywine Roller Girls Head NSO

Offline Major Wood

• Administrator
  • Has Too Much Damn Time Member
  • Stats Sheet: 77
  • League Affiliation: Nashville Rollergirls
  • Referee Certification Level: Level 5
  • NSO Certification Level: Not Certified
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2012, 07:05:25 pm »
Commenting on a few of those things...

If the skaters can't read the whiteboard, there is a different problem. The only time I have ever received that complaint (in any venue) was either that the markers were dying, or that officials were standing in the way. It may be possible that your whiteboard is too small.

As far as height, another thing to consider is that, as a referee, I want to be able to see over the top and see the other side of the track. Basically, make the top lower than an average shoulder height.

Regarding switching marker colors at the half, how is this helpful? Minors that have carried over from the first period should be marked off on the second period tracking sheet, so it should be clear exactly how many minors a skater has on both the sheet and the whiteboard at all times. I'm just having trouble seeing how this is anything other than an additional, irrelevant, piece of information to be taken in by anyone who needs to read the board at a glance.

Our NSOs use football wrist coaches to erase whiteboards and use as a reference to penalty codes and other information.

Lastly, keep in mind that skaters aren't the only people who utilize the inside whiteboards. As a jammer referee and as a head referee, I rely heavily on the inside whiteboard. Yes, penalty trackers should be giving me the minor count for my jammer, but I try to be proactive and get the information. Sometimes the trackers get bogged down and can't get me that information until toward the end of the 30 seconds.
Your friendly Zebra Huddle admin.

Nashville Roller Derby Head Ref
WFTDA Level 5 Certified Referee

I speak only of my opinions and interpretations.

Offline SmackTavish

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2012, 05:00:58 pm »
The changing of colors at the half is helpful so at first glance we can confirm that a penalty was from the previous half. This helps, as you mentioned, whent the trackers get bogged down during lineup times.

Our trackers, however, are mostly bogged down only by the showing of minors to our jammer refs.
--SmackTavish

Brandywine Roller Girls Head NSO

Offline P!st0l-P3t3

• League Affiliation: Perth Men's Derby, Dread Pirate Rollers
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2013, 03:51:21 am »
I've often used a different colour for the second period.

Another thing I do is to put a small dot in the box when the skater literally sits in the penalty box to serve their penalty. If there is no dot in the box, then that means the skater is yet to serve that penalty. I tried underlining but that got too messy.

I read the camera idea and think that is great- unless the power goes out! Make sure you have a generator on standby!

I guess another idea is to use iPads instead of whiteboards and clipboards? Then only have one whiteboard for the Inside?
Brand new to the radical world of refereeing.
Skating & NSO'ing since October 2012.

Offline DocSkinner

• Stats Sheet: 2
  • League Affiliation: Kansas City Roller Warriors
  • NSO Certification Level: Level 2
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2013, 06:56:45 pm »
I've often used a different colour for the second period.
I like this idea.

Another thing I do is to put a small dot in the box when the skater literally sits in the penalty box to serve their penalty.
This is now standard procedure. Everyone should be doing it.

Offline 1600-DOCTORB

• League Affiliation: Newcastle Roller Derby League
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2014, 11:22:12 am »
Sorry this is a really old thread, but wanted to link to the whiteboards I've seen used by a couple of leagues - http://www.officeworks.com.au/shop/officeworks/portable-flipchart-easel-board-owpmagfcht

They put up 2 of these (one for each team), and what I like about them is that the height is adjustable - the board actually slides down between the legs to  make it more compact for travel, but you can then adjust how high you want them, so it addresses the problems of short IWBs/visibility for refs, or you could even leave a bit of a gap between the two.

Offline ShoNuff

• Stats Sheet: 29
  • League Affiliation: Mad Rollin' Dolls
  • NSO Certification Level: Level 4
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2014, 06:30:47 pm »
I'd also recommend Stan the IWB Stand:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Stan-the-IWB-Stand/461833377249203?ref=br_tf

Yes, it has a facebook page.

Offline bourbonella

• League Affiliation: Armidale Roller Derby
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2014, 02:50:19 am »
Sorry this is a really old thread, but wanted to link to the whiteboards I've seen used by a couple of leagues - http://www.officeworks.com.au/shop/officeworks/portable-flipchart-easel-board-owpmagfcht

They put up 2 of these (one for each team), and what I like about them is that the height is adjustable - the board actually slides down between the legs to  make it more compact for travel, but you can then adjust how high you want them, so it addresses the problems of short IWBs/visibility for refs, or you could even leave a bit of a gap between the two.

We use them too, but they're bulky when you have to lug them around, so for that I have a light weight one that doesn't get dinged up in the back of my car.

Offline ttjustice

• Stats Sheet: 18
  • And Justice for All!
  • League Affiliation: Ohio Roller Girls
  • NSO Certification Level: Level 2
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2014, 04:27:01 pm »
I finally broke down and make an IWB based off of Stan and ended up creating his little sister Kelly.  I made it out of red oak and the budget came to around $180 and about 3 weeks of time.  Plans for Stan are available on his facebook page.  Here is a pic of Kelly:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=720293461343378&set=a.125308400841890.9107.100000881918900&type=1&theater

The only drawback is the stand is a bit bulky and will take up the back seat of your car.
Timothy T. Justice
Ohio Roller Girls Head of Officiating 2011-2013
Retired Level 3 Skating Official
WFTDA Rules Theory Clerk

Offline Wicked Lizard

• League Affiliation: Sonoma County Roller Derby
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2015, 08:17:33 pm »
Lastly, keep in mind that skaters aren't the only people who utilize the inside whiteboards. As a jammer referee and as a head referee, I rely heavily on the inside whiteboard. Yes, penalty trackers should be giving me the minor count for my jammer, but I try to be proactive and get the information. Sometimes the trackers get bogged down and can't get me that information until toward the end of the 30 seconds.

I would just add to this that the IWB is also heavily used by Penalty Box Timers as a means to verify that the number of penalties they've recorded for a given skater matches what the Penalty Tracker has. When a flurry of penalties happens at once, and especially if your infield doesn't have the luxury of a Wrangler, it's extremely helpful to be constantly cross-checking numbers between the penalty box and the IWB/PT.

Offline Major Wood

• Administrator
  • Has Too Much Damn Time Member
  • Stats Sheet: 77
  • League Affiliation: Nashville Rollergirls
  • Referee Certification Level: Level 5
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2015, 12:57:28 am »
Only because you quoted something that I said over 3 years ago, I want to point out that my opinion has changed on this. I am now an advocate for entirely eliminating the IWB.
Your friendly Zebra Huddle admin.

Nashville Roller Derby Head Ref
WFTDA Level 5 Certified Referee

I speak only of my opinions and interpretations.

Featured Product

Zebra Huddle Head Referee Bout Booklet

Featured Classifieds

ZH Files

How to Score a Point in Roller Derby
Rating: *****
Downloads: 2974
Views: 4580
Filesize: 327.61KB
Date: January 17, 2017, 04:21:03 am
Comments (0)
By: AdamSmasher
June 2013 Ruleset situational questions
Downloads: 2106
Views: 4336
Filesize: 29.71KB
Date: February 07, 2014, 04:57:32 pm
Comments (2)
By: Crash Test Ref
Rules Q&A and Publications for 6/15/13 Document
Rating: (None)
Downloads: 2269
Views: 4846
Filesize: 26.27KB
Date: August 02, 2013, 04:10:40 pm
Comments (0)
By: Shaun Ketterman
Rules Q&A and Publications for 1/1/13 Document (4/24/13 Updates)
Downloads: 3056
Views: 4901
Filesize: 28.07KB
Date: April 25, 2013, 05:45:34 pm
Comments (0)
By: Shaun Ketterman