Re: Rule clarification by Bluebeard
January 17, 2020, 05:26:46 am

Rule clarification by 3Beers
December 28, 2019, 06:04:00 pm

Re: Resources for new referees. by Destructor
November 29, 2019, 01:13:40 pm

Resources for new referees. by Destructor
November 26, 2019, 06:01:48 pm

Author Topic: So, what do you do in your "other" life?  (Read 45029 times)

Offline Vladi Impaler

• Stats Sheet: 0
Re: So, what do you do in your "other" life?
« Reply #105 on: December 17, 2010, 09:23:13 pm »
I work as a historical researcher for a consulting firm. As I like to put it, this means I get to see the country with my nose buried in dusty old records. Right now, I'm not traveling as much as I used to, but once they start sending me all over the place again, I'm going to have to get a new skate bag... :)

When I got involved with derby, a friend of mine said "because you needed another hobby?!" On top of the day job and derby, I write, run a craft business (scarywhitegirl.etsy.com), and play RPGs. And I'm planning a wedding for next summer. Luckily, my fiance was very understanding when I told him I had to wait for the season schedule before we could set a date. :)

Offline Sintax

• Stats Sheet: 3
  • Presuming legal intent since 2009.
  • League Affiliation: South Side Derby Dolls, Australia
  • Referee Certification Level: Not Certified
  • NSO Certification Level: Not Certified
« Reply #106 on: December 17, 2010, 10:51:04 pm »
In non-derby land I am on the track to academia. Currently doing a scholarship supported PhD looking at the impact of surveillance on the individual. I write stuff. And read stuff.

My other gig right now is in the customer service/complaints wing of a national telco/ISP. I talk to very 'happy' people. 

At home I wrangle a fifteen-year-old boy person.
Over-thinking is a good thing.

Referee and Master of Officials, skating with South Side Derby Dolls, Australia.

Offline rheffbutler

« Reply #107 on: December 22, 2010, 06:44:35 pm »
I am:
a father of four, two of which can be future derby girls,
an avid photographer,
an operations director for a chain of pizza stores
a lover of life and living it to the fullest.
Rheff Butler
Twin City Derby Girls

Frankly my dear.......

Dr. D Zaster

« Reply #108 on: December 22, 2010, 07:11:02 pm »
In my other life, I am a husband and father of a 2 year old girl.
I am also a Police Officer working in London, UK.
I listen to Death Metal and play rugby also.

So i think i have a thing for authority!

« Last Edit: December 23, 2010, 10:47:34 am by Dr. D Zaster »

Offline Holga_Von_Lomo

• Stats Sheet: 1
  • ADRD
« Reply #109 on: December 23, 2010, 12:50:47 am »
I'm a dental assistant  (& known as the league mouth guard nazi).
I <3 Lomography, TtV, and pretty much any lo-fi experimental forms of photography (the origins of my derby name).
I sew & craft- helmet panties & boutfit pimping are fast becoming my speciality.
I play guitar, ukulele & djembe.
I hold a motorcycle licence - but alas currently no bike to ride.
I'm a closet steampunker (who doesn't like LARPing... go figure).
& I am often found trolling local antique shops, 2nd hand stores, Op shops or markets.

Offline Col. Kill-more

« Reply #110 on: December 23, 2010, 12:23:12 pm »
My current job is as a cover supervisor at a sixth form college, but I have taught both law and forensic science in the past.

My previous skating suppot was 10 years as an ice hockey referee, officiating professional games including one international in 1999. I've also played ice hockey and have proudly represented my country in amateur internationals.

Offline Sven WillIBeFamous

• Stats Sheet: 2
« Reply #111 on: December 23, 2010, 04:05:48 pm »
I work for a large Software firm as a support technician for Software Developers.
I also play bass in a metal band (www.myspace.com/ballofmayhem), play banjo in a Bluegrass band (unnamed at the moment), do the odd bit of stand up comedy and dabble with photography.  I'm surprised I have time for anything else yet somehow I can always make time for derby.

HelP!MYSPaceBarANDCapsLOCkaREBroKen!

Offline Gunsweat

« Reply #112 on: December 23, 2010, 07:48:09 pm »
I am a:
'Customer Development Representative' for an Spa industry wholesale company. So i basically handle challenging people all day & try to resolve their issues & then do it all again for free in the evening.  ;D
Derby takes up most of my spare time but I love the arts, being outdoors and I have a real curiousity to know what makes people tick. I also freelance as a makeup artist when time permits.
Gunsweat, Terminal City Roller Girls, Vancouver BC

Offline Jolly Dodge Her

• I hope to one day to be WFTDA certified
So, what do you do in your "other" life?
« Reply #113 on: December 26, 2010, 04:04:34 am »
I'm a Psychiatric Aide 2 in a Missouri (USA) residential mental health treatment facility for children who are emotionally disturbed.  

I'm a beer drinkin', pipe (tobacco) smokin', tattooed drummer in a punk band (Guy Morgan & the FT Crew) & another band which is hard to describe (The Tone Def All-Stars).

I picked Jolly Dodge-Her because I've always been a fan of pirates & because I figured it was a little too cheesy to go with my actual nickname, which is Captain Ron.
Head Ref of the Cape Girardeau Roller Girls

Offline Frank Necrosis

« Reply #114 on: January 03, 2011, 03:34:45 am »
By trade, I am a mechanical engineer.  I have worked for several companies in the past few years. I worked for a company the built large pumps for industrial & hvac applications, a company that made valves that went in Uncle Sam's war toys and currently working for a company that designs below the hook lifting devices for steel mills.

I also build & sell skates as a side business.  I only sell skates to people face to face, no internet or mail order stuff except for real basic parts. When I build skates, they are built to fit the skater and his/her needs, not to some generic size and fit chart.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2011, 03:36:37 am by Frank Necrosis »

Offline DreadPirateRobyn

« Reply #115 on: April 26, 2011, 10:46:55 pm »
I'm the Assistant Director for Administrative Services at a Rural, Critical Access Hospital.
(I write grants, oversee the website, sign marketing contracts, assist in all clinical needs for our 8 clinics and design all of our marketing materials.)
I'm also district Secretary of the South District Illinois Elks Association.
And the Chairperson for Relay for Life.
And completing my MBA this summer.
And in derby I am a board member, chair of PR/Marketing/Recruitment/Outside Event Booking/Ref & Nso accountability, and on training.
And there is a husband who I see every once in a blue moon through all of this.
(So rarely, in fact, that most of my league knows my Jeep's name (Hank) and not my husband's (Jeremy))

Oh and Major Wood - that Brad Paisley door is breathtaking! I LOVE woodwork!! (Totally grew up in a home construction/repair business.)

Offline Bill Hind

• League Affiliation: A'Salt Creek Roller Girls
  • Referee Certification Level: Level 2
  • NSO Certification Level: Not Certified
« Reply #116 on: May 03, 2011, 04:38:37 am »
I recently (shortly after joining ZH) got a job as a wind turbine tech. I get to climb 300 foot tall, tubular steel towers to basically be a janitor. There's some mechanical work (usually involving a few hundred grams of grease or a few tens of liters of gear oil at a time) and some electrical work. But I do spend a lot of my day cleaning things. I like it because I don't spend any time sitting at a desk; instead I'm climbing, fixing something that's broken, or attempting to prevent things from breaking. There is a surprising amount of paperwork for safety and contractual obligations, but the rest of the job makes up for that.

When not climbing tall, man-made things I homebrew beer. My latest batch is an oatmeal stout and my first attempt at a partial mash. I think it turned out really well and was much more on style than a lot of the things they produce at the local microbrewery (a 'hefewiezen' that tastes like a Belgian dubbel? Please). I am a beer snob.

I like to wander around on mountains, which makes Wyoming a great place to be despite some of the natives. Derby is only just starting to take root here, so I spend perhaps more weekends than I should traveling the state to help out new leagues.
Bill Hind Justice, Referee
A'Salt Creek Roller Girls
Casper, WY, USA

Offline Chris WarnHer

« Reply #117 on: May 04, 2011, 01:26:59 am »
Well ... Im a proud solo father to one 8 year old girl ... In my spare time i help people with there project cars/hotrods/jetboats/anythingwithaengine .. telling them what to buy and then Tuning the end result ....Basically I'm a toy maker ... for Car lovers ....

When im not doing ethier of these My obsessive compulsiveness makes me read rules, read forums about rules, talk to people about rules and skate .......

When i find i need a break from these things ... I quite enjoy building custom skates and teaching people the basic concepts of how the apparatus they lace up on there feet works and how they can make it work better for them...

The rest of the time ... I spend looking after my girl

Offline riffraffsaff

« Reply #118 on: May 04, 2011, 04:54:14 am »
I'm a Safari Tour Guide at an Open Range Zoo (I drive utes full of people around Rhinos and Giraffes and other such animals)

The worst thing is when I get asked what I study to work at a Zoo, because when I'm not working at the Zoo I tour with bands and do merch/tour management/publicity/promo/production/tour logistics - the only music industry thing I *haven't* done is live mixing.

The look on kids faces when I have to tell them I have a BA In Music Industry hilarious - but not as funny as the teachers who are trying to get all of these kids to go to Uni and Study the "smart" things to study.

In reality, The music industry is just a different type of Zoo, you just switch out grumpy rhinos with drunk musos...

Featured Product

Zebra Huddle Head Referee Bout Booklet

Featured Classifieds

ZH Files

How to Score a Point in Roller Derby
Rating: *****
Downloads: 4416
Views: 7394
Filesize: 327.61KB
Date: January 17, 2017, 04:21:03 am
Comments (0)
By: AdamSmasher
June 2013 Ruleset situational questions
Downloads: 2922
Views: 6008
Filesize: 29.71KB
Date: February 07, 2014, 04:57:32 pm
Comments (2)
By: Crash Test Ref
Rules Q&A and Publications for 6/15/13 Document
Rating: (None)
Downloads: 3126
Views: 6909
Filesize: 26.27KB
Date: August 02, 2013, 04:10:40 pm
Comments (0)
By: Shaun Ketterman
Rules Q&A and Publications for 1/1/13 Document (4/24/13 Updates)
Downloads: 3947
Views: 8937
Filesize: 28.07KB
Date: April 25, 2013, 05:45:34 pm
Comments (0)
By: Shaun Ketterman