Re: "Pincer" blocks = multipayer? by Bluebeard
July 11, 2019, 06:30:49 pm

"Pincer" blocks = multipayer? by Rego_Derby
July 11, 2019, 01:08:36 am

Re: Jammer Scoring Theory by Major Wood
June 26, 2019, 09:59:33 pm

Jammer Scoring Theory by Rego_Derby
June 25, 2019, 04:30:03 am

Re: Clamping down with the upper arm by bmd (2113)
June 12, 2019, 07:54:29 pm

Re: Ref facepaint by Major Wood
June 12, 2019, 04:16:34 pm

Author Topic: Wranglers  (Read 8520 times)

Offline Pink Freud

• Stats Sheet: 0
Wranglers
« on: September 23, 2011, 06:31:44 pm »
What are some opinions about the position?  I generally penalty track and have only had a wrangler for a few bouts.  I'm personally on the fence about them.  I suppose it depends on the situation. 

Thoughts?

Offline bjmacke

• Stats Sheet: 2
  • League Affiliation: Minnesota RollerGirls
  • Referee Certification Level: Not Certified
  • NSO Certification Level: Level 2
Re: Wranglers
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2011, 07:31:33 pm »
Wranglers are extremely useful if you're doing 1PT and one inside whiteboard. Wrangler collects the penalties and notifies the refs of on-field skaters with three minors and six trips. The PT can focus on recording penalties and keeping the IWB and JRs up-to-date on skater penalties.

Wranglers become less useful in 2PT setups and (IMHO) when they're stationary.
also known as Apron, if you didn't know already.

Offline Darkjester

• Has Too Much Damn Time Member
  • Stats Sheet: 39
  • "When in doubt, RTFM"
  • League Affiliation: Beach Brawl SK8R Dolls
  • NSO Certification Level: Not Certified
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2011, 10:38:09 pm »
Wranglers are ALWAYS useful as a position, to their degree though depends on the skill of the wrangler and to the extent they are utilized.

Regardless if its 1pt or 2 :-)

IMO a roving wrangler is best because they can catch penalties allowing the refs to keep their eyes on the pack longer, prevent Jam refs from removing their eyes from the jammers and missing an important call off, as well as allow for faster relay of 3rd to 4th minor penalties and catch outside white board penalties.

Madness Tolls
69¢
Beach Brawl Sk8R Dolls
Fort Walton Beach FL

Offline The Gorram Reaver

• Referee
  • Stats Sheet: 60
  • League Affiliation: Mad Rollin' Dolls
  • Referee Certification Level: Level 2
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2011, 11:21:50 pm »
Wranglers are extremely useful if you're doing 1PT and one inside whiteboard. Wrangler collects the penalties and notifies the refs of on-field skaters with three minors and six trips. The PT can focus on recording penalties and keeping the IWB and JRs up-to-date on skater penalties.

Wranglers become less useful in 2PT setups and (IMHO) when they're stationary.

In my experience, Wranglers are always useful, regardless of the number of trackers being used.  Also, I have found Wranglers to be most effective when they are mobile.  If I have a Wrangler I love, it's because they are always right there when I am reffing inside.  I never, or very rarely, have to turn my head to report a penalty, which means I can focus my attention on the pack (or my Jammer) all the time.  When I'm reffing, that's really what I want most; a way to never have to take my eyes off the skaters. 

In addition to always being right there (i.e. splitting the distance between the innermost infield refs and the rest of the infield penalty staff, positioned between both IPRs), my Dream Wrangler repeats every penalty call that comes from a ref loudly & clearly so that we instantly know he has correctly received the penalty information.  He also knows who has three minors, so when I give him a minor that turns out to be a fourth he instantly lets me know and that skater is immediately removed from play.  Likewise, he knows who is on six box turns and tells me (or the Head Ref when it's not me) as soon as someone has fouled out.

The Dream Wrangler will always know what the number of each active Jammer is, and will note the minor penalties indicated by each Jammer Ref for each of the Jammers.  Typically, he will verbally confirm the minor penalty with the Jammer Ref if he does not hear the ref vocalize the penalty; this will help to ensure penalties indicated by the Jammer Ref are in fact for his/her Jammer and not for a Blocker, and that if the penalty is for a Blocker it is being properly recorded.  At the end of the jam, DW confirms the penalties for each Jammer with each Jammer Ref to ensure all penalties are properly recorded.

These are my notes on how Dream Wrangler operates.  They are entirely from the perspective of a referee.  Those who have worked with DW in the capacity of Penalty Tracker may have other things to contribute about what DW does at the other end of the interface.

Yes, I have made all the pronouns for DW masculine.  This is not to say DW cannot be female; DW can be whatever gender he, she, or it chooses to be.  This is solely a product of DW's incarnation within my crew in the person of one Benjamin Spanklin.  The things I have described are the things I have noticed him doing that make us all love him so much when he Wrangles for us.
The Gorram Reaver
Mad Rollin' Dolls, Madison, WI

Offline bjmacke

• League Affiliation: Minnesota RollerGirls
  • NSO Certification Level: Level 2
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2011, 11:43:35 pm »
To clarify, I say "less" and not "not". Wranglers are useful in 2PT setups, but aren't as necessary as long as the trackers are backing each other up on calls. In cases when I've worked severely understaffed scrimmages, it's better to do 1PT and a wrangler than 2PT and no wrangler. I say this from being both the tracker as well as the wrangler in that situation.
also known as Apron, if you didn't know already.

Offline Tiger Woody

• League Affiliation: Fairbank Roller Girls
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2011, 12:33:05 am »
I like having a wrangler to help, it gets pretty busy. They can also help watch the outside white boards.
FORE!

Offline Sven WillIBeFamous

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2011, 09:21:30 am »
I like to have as many people in the centre helping the refs as possible (and safe).

Normally I go for a setup where we have 2PT, and 2 wranglers and then I ask the Jam Timer and the inside Whiteboard NSO to help with the wrangling.  i.e. they will be the ones to look at the outside whiteboards (and the whiteboard in the penalty box).
HelP!MYSPaceBarANDCapsLOCkaREBroKen!

Offline Brad Religion

• Stats Sheet: 7
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2011, 03:10:29 pm »
I'd rather have no wrangler than a bad one. It's one of those jobs that is really hard to teach someone to do right before a bout. Someone with a little whiteboard right beside/behind me as I skate around has become one of my most favorite things in officiating.

But if they're stationary, or inattentive, or easily flustered? This is not the job for them.
Bleeding Heartland Roller Girls
Bloomington, IN

• Referee
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2011, 06:20:47 pm »
I'd rather have no wrangler than a bad one. It's one of those jobs that is really hard to teach someone to do right before a bout. Someone with a little whiteboard right beside/behind me as I skate around has become one of my most favorite things in officiating.

But if they're stationary, or inattentive, or easily flustered? This is not the job for them.
Or if they have a tendency to watch the action on the track instead of the officials, definitely not the job for them.
The Gorram Reaver

Offline Darkjester

• "When in doubt, RTFM"
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2011, 12:52:58 am »
Same could be said for ANY nso position though  :(
Madness Tolls
69¢
Beach Brawl Sk8R Dolls
Fort Walton Beach FL

• Referee
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2011, 01:21:59 am »
Same could be said for ANY nso position though  :(
I shall not disagree with you, sir.  ;)
The Gorram Reaver

Offline Darkjester

• "When in doubt, RTFM"
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2011, 11:41:01 pm »
I do have to say this, the lack of a wrangler as the past weekends bout which I was coaching really hindered things. Players who ended up being stuck in the box for 2 minutes at a time due to a Major penalty and late reporting of a 4th minor from outside to penalty tracker sucked for me.  I think we had 3 instances of it.

Once to the confusion of a skater who was sent to the box for a 4th minor reported AFTER a jam she wasn't even in (so it had to have sat on the outside for 2 or more jams)

Madness Tolls
69¢
Beach Brawl Sk8R Dolls
Fort Walton Beach FL

Offline Two Bit Score

• Stats Sheet: 7
  • These Things Happen
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2011, 07:32:38 pm »
Once to the confusion of a skater who was sent to the box for a 4th minor reported AFTER a jam she wasn't even in (so it had to have sat on the outside for 2 or more jams)
If the OPR doesn't skate it in at the end of a jam... the outside white board needs to sprint in and drop that off... IMPO.
Any night when I can pull up the covers and say "I am a better ref right now than I was when I woke up," is a good day.
Omnia praesumuntur legitime facta donec probetur in contrarium.

Offline SilkenTofu

• NSO
  • Stats Sheet: 4
  • League Affiliation: Bleeding Heartland Rollergirls
  • NSO Certification Level: Level 5
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2011, 07:59:44 pm »
Two Bit: Absolutely.  :) According to the WFTDA Standardized Practices (July 2011):

What is the procedure for an Outside Whiteboard Operator who has a penalty to report at the end of a jam?

If time allows, the Outside Whiteboard Operator shall run to the inside track to report the penalty to the Wrangler
Bloomington, IN
WFTDA Level 5 Certified NSO
WFTDA Clinic Instructor, WFTDA Officials Committee member
MRDA Certification Committee

Offline Intejill

« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2011, 08:23:17 pm »

Or if they have a tendency to watch the action on the track instead of the officials, definitely not the job for them.

That depends.  Is said Wrangler watching the action because, Hey, I get to watch derby from the center of the track and it's awesome!  Or is said Wrangler watching the action to better anticipate refs' calls?

Featured Product

Zebra Huddle Head Referee Bout Booklet

Featured Classifieds

ZH Files

How to Score a Point in Roller Derby
Rating: *****
Downloads: 3938
Views: 6461
Filesize: 327.61KB
Date: January 17, 2017, 04:21:03 am
Comments (0)
By: AdamSmasher
June 2013 Ruleset situational questions
Downloads: 2559
Views: 5302
Filesize: 29.71KB
Date: February 07, 2014, 04:57:32 pm
Comments (2)
By: Crash Test Ref
Rules Q&A and Publications for 6/15/13 Document
Rating: (None)
Downloads: 2755
Views: 5913
Filesize: 26.27KB
Date: August 02, 2013, 04:10:40 pm
Comments (0)
By: Shaun Ketterman
Rules Q&A and Publications for 1/1/13 Document (4/24/13 Updates)
Downloads: 3551
Views: 5908
Filesize: 28.07KB
Date: April 25, 2013, 05:45:34 pm
Comments (0)
By: Shaun Ketterman