ZH Classifieds
ZH Files
ZH Staff
WFTDA 12/1/2014 Rules
WFTDA 3/1/2014 Rules

Donate

Please Support Zebra Huddle!

Recent Posts

Re: Clamping down with the upper arm by bmd (2113)
June 12, 2019, 07:54:29 pm

Re: Ref facepaint by Major Wood
June 12, 2019, 04:16:34 pm

Re: Ref facepaint by Rego_Derby
June 11, 2019, 11:35:08 pm

Re: Ref facepaint by Axis of Stevil
June 10, 2019, 06:56:10 pm

Re: Ref facepaint by Major Wood
June 10, 2019, 01:49:04 pm

Ref facepaint by Rego_Derby
June 09, 2019, 03:38:38 pm

Re: Answering a directional with forearms by Major Wood
April 30, 2019, 07:44:47 pm

Answering a directional with forearms by Rego_Derby
April 30, 2019, 05:56:20 pm

Re: Yielding to the opposite side of the track by Bluebeard
April 22, 2019, 07:21:28 pm

Yielding to the opposite side of the track by MyBabyDaddy
April 21, 2019, 03:22:45 am

Author Topic: NON-WFTDA referee certification information  (Read 49143 times)

Offline Jessticular Fortitude

• Referee
  • Stats Sheet: 27
  • SOLID
  • League Affiliation: Nashville Rollergirls
  • Referee Certification Level: Level 2
  • NSO Certification Level: Not Certified
Re: NON-WFTDA referee certification information
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2009, 07:29:29 pm »
One question, while we're on the topic: what constitutes an approved WFTDA rep? Does that mean a member of a league's coaching committee, a captain, one of the two listed WFTDA reps for the league, one of the two WFTDA ref reps for the league, a certified ref of a certain level, or  ? ? ? ?

~j.z.

I know it for sure means one of the listed WFTDA reps for the league, not sure if a ref rep would count though (cue Leadfoot), but it can't just be a coach or captain.
Hey look, a search function! Right up there! No on the left

Perhaps we should all spend a little more time reading and a little less time making shit up.

Offline Ballistic Whistle

• Stats Sheet: 14
  • I like watermelon...
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2009, 07:58:25 pm »
unless he reffed/officiated the Salt City-Duke City WFTDA sanctioned bout @ Rollercon.
Actually, I was score tracker for that bout. I believe that gets me some points.

I was wondering about this, due to our non-region-ness.

leadfoot

« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2009, 08:08:51 pm »
One question, while we're on the topic: what constitutes an approved WFTDA rep? Does that mean a member of a league's coaching committee, a captain, one of the two listed WFTDA reps for the league, one of the two WFTDA ref reps for the league, a certified ref of a certain level, or  ? ? ? ?

~j.z.

I know it for sure means one of the listed WFTDA reps for the league, not sure if a ref rep would count though (cue Leadfoot), but it can't just be a coach or captain.

Jess is correct...an 'authorized league rep' needs to be one of your 3-5 WFTDA league reps (Class A leagues have 5 reps; Class B leagues have 3 reps, I believe) - OR - you can have one of the 5 Ref Certification Panel Members administer the tests.  It cannot be a coach, capt or ref from your league.  We do e-mail ALL of the references listed on the documents to verify them too, BTW. 

Oh...and before I forget, if it's not already up on the WFTDA peanut, we are compiling and have posted (or will post) a list of authorized league reps that can be contacted to fill out ref evals too.  Hopefully, that will make the process a little smoother.

Offline angri-la

• Stats Sheet: 4
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2009, 08:41:55 pm »
I'll do you one better, J.Z...I posted your proposal back to the Panel and here's the response:

The rules still need to apply regardless of the situation.  It still has to be an approved WFTDA rep administering the tests.  We realize this limits our ability to possibly get certifications for overseas refs right now, but our resources are limited at the moment and we apologize for any inconvenience.

Yeah, I figured it was unlikely Johnny'd be able to test us - plus don't think I'd be ready anyway as I have to have surgery on my ankle soon (broke it last year and now having the metal plate and screws removed). Just curious about the skating requirements as it'd be good to have something to work towards. Hopefully they'll make that public anyway - can't see any reason to keep it secret.

Thanks for all the advice. I'm loving this forum sooo much. I also just told my boyfriend we need to quit our jobs, buy a campervan and travel round the States so I can meet you all and become a SuperRef.
angri-la
Referee
London Rollergirls, UK

leadfoot

« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2009, 09:06:25 pm »
The ref cert documents were sent in on 1/7 to be posted to wftda.com.  Hopefully, they will appear shortly.

The skating skills test is not too hard, IMO.  It covers basic agility (such as hopping, knee taps, falls, slaloms, etc) and also includes a timed lap test on the derby track.

Offline Nails

• Stats Sheet: 0
  • Putting the 'ree' in referee.
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2009, 05:02:20 am »
WOW Ledfoot you are a veritable font of useful information. Thanks!
Central Kentucky Rollerderby Referees

Offline Jessticular Fortitude

• Referee
  • Stats Sheet: 27
  • SOLID
  • League Affiliation: Nashville Rollergirls
  • Referee Certification Level: Level 2
« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2009, 06:00:29 pm »
WOW Ledfoot you are a veritable font of useful information. Thanks!

Well she IS on the WFTDA Referee Certification Committee....
Hey look, a search function! Right up there! No on the left

Perhaps we should all spend a little more time reading and a little less time making shit up.

Offline Catch22

« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2009, 06:50:43 pm »
Leadfoot
Jess is correct...an 'authorized league rep' needs to be one of your 3-5 WFTDA league reps (Class A leagues have 5 reps; Class B leagues have 3 reps, I believe) - OR - you can have one of the 5 Ref Certification Panel Members administer the tests.  It cannot be a coach, capt or ref from your league.  We do e-mail ALL of the references listed on the documents to verify them too, BTW. 

Oh...and before I forget, if it's not already up on the WFTDA peanut, we are compiling and have posted (or will post) a list of authorized league reps that can be contacted to fill out ref evals too.  Hopefully, that will make the process a little smoother.

Would please post here when that list is compiled? I'm up in Canada, I'd love to be certified however like the Board, my "resources" are limited. I'm wondering if it would be possible to have a mini-cert workshop up here. Leadfoot, do you think such a thing could be possible if the leagues attending paid for expenses?

Any word on what it takes for a league to become part of the WFTDA? Posting a link to the information would be just fine too.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2009, 08:27:23 pm by Catch22 »

Offline pinkyglee

« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2009, 07:36:18 pm »
There was supposed to be Birmingham vs Birmingham... But Birmingham, AL is not a WFTDA member league. Both leagues need to be WFTDA leagues though.

just to clarify.  TCR (Birmingham USA) is not currently WFTDA but they're workin on it.  and yes, that bout was cancelled.  tentatively looking at 2010 is my understanding.

btw, i'm really loving this forum.  thanks, wood.

Offline Riff Reff

• Superhero Member
  • Stats Sheet: 30
  • League Affiliation: Dublin Roller Derby
  • Referee Certification Level: Not Certified
« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2009, 12:34:24 pm »
@ballistic

we should think about starting EFTDA ;-)
Don't look at the game with rules-tinted glasses; look at the rules with game-tinted glasses!

leadfoot

« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2009, 01:28:02 pm »
Would please post here when that list is compiled?

Will do!  Back in early December, we sent an e-mail out to all leagues' reps and asked them to send in the names of authorized reps to fill out evals.  I can check on the status of that right now.

As far as holding a mini 'ref-cert' workshop in Canada, I'll post your question to the rest of the Panel and get back to you ASAP.

Also, here's a link on how to become a member league of the WFTDA: http://www.wftda.com/membership-information/

« Last Edit: January 15, 2009, 06:53:19 pm by leadfoot »

Offline Poobah

• Stats Sheet: 1
  • I've got the biggest tiny car in the parade. *~[
« Reply #26 on: January 24, 2009, 12:41:52 am »
Unfortunately, no, unless he reffed/officiated the Salt City-Duke City WFTDA sanctioned bout @ Rollercon. I don't think challenge bouts can count as they're not regulation length; otherwise, he'd need to pick up an intraleague game at a WFTDA league somewhere (a home game @ a WFTDA league is good for levels 1/2) .

It's my understanding that that was NOT a WFTDA sanctioned bout anyway. I think it was Duke City's rostered travel team, but it wasn't Salt City's. Or so one of them told me. I do know that the stats for this bout were never posted in the WFTDA stats group, which also suggests that it wasn't sanctioned. What gets additionally weird is that there was no host league for that bout. It wasn't at either league's home, it wasn't a tournament, and it wasn't hosted by Fabulous Sin City Rollergirls (or it would've been my job).

There's probably better ways of figuring out what's sanctioned or not, but those'd be a mystery to me.

Sorry for the derail, but the status of that bout has been a mystery to me since it happened.
Grand Poobah
DerbyMatic/DNN
The Inner-Loopers
Roc City Roller Derby
ex-Sin City Stat Pack

Offline Johnny Zebra

• Stats Sheet: 40
« Reply #27 on: January 24, 2009, 02:48:23 pm »
Interesting; my (unofficial) sources tell me it was sanctioned.

But it was regulation (played by straight WFTDA rules), right?  As long as the leagues were WFTDA, it'd still serve for levels 1-2 (assuming one of them fills out an evaluation), and if regulation for levels 3-5.

~j.z.
===============
Johnny Zebra
WFTDA Certified Referee (Level 3)
WFTDA Rules Q&A Working Group
Gotham Girls Roller Derby
Zebra Huddle Moderator

Offline bronco

• Stats Sheet: 9
  • rules and stripes forever!
« Reply #28 on: January 27, 2009, 09:15:36 am »
Will there be any special programs for referee certification at RollerCon09?

Seems like the right place for refs to "take it up a notch" :)

... Bronco
... Ref. Bronco

Offline Professor Murder

• Stats Sheet: 42
  • Insert Witticism Here.
« Reply #29 on: January 27, 2009, 12:37:12 pm »
You can go directly to the website's certification FAQ for answers to basic questions: http://www.wftda.com/officiating/referee-certification/

If it's not answered there, then contact your regional panel members.

Open links to the certification documents are up on the FAQ page (use the link above).
Philly Roller Girls
WFTDA Interim Games Officer
WFTDA Certified Referee: Level 5
"100% Less Dancing" - Dr. Vroom

Featured Product

Zebra Huddle Head Referee Bout Booklet

Featured Classifieds

ZH Files

How to Score a Point in Roller Derby
Rating: *****
Downloads: 3162
Views: 4993
Filesize: 327.61KB
Date: January 17, 2017, 04:21:03 am
Comments (0)
By: AdamSmasher
June 2013 Ruleset situational questions
Downloads: 2260
Views: 4659
Filesize: 29.71KB
Date: February 07, 2014, 04:57:32 pm
Comments (2)
By: Crash Test Ref
Rules Q&A and Publications for 6/15/13 Document
Rating: (None)
Downloads: 2421
Views: 5194
Filesize: 26.27KB
Date: August 02, 2013, 04:10:40 pm
Comments (0)
By: Shaun Ketterman
Rules Q&A and Publications for 1/1/13 Document (4/24/13 Updates)
Downloads: 3206
Views: 5214
Filesize: 28.07KB
Date: April 25, 2013, 05:45:34 pm
Comments (0)
By: Shaun Ketterman