Re: "Pincer" blocks = multipayer? by Bluebeard
July 11, 2019, 06:30:49 pm

"Pincer" blocks = multipayer? by Rego_Derby
July 11, 2019, 01:08:36 am

Re: Jammer Scoring Theory by Major Wood
June 26, 2019, 09:59:33 pm

Jammer Scoring Theory by Rego_Derby
June 25, 2019, 04:30:03 am

Re: Clamping down with the upper arm by bmd (2113)
June 12, 2019, 07:54:29 pm

Re: Ref facepaint by Major Wood
June 12, 2019, 04:16:34 pm

Re: Ref facepaint by Rego_Derby
June 11, 2019, 11:35:08 pm

Re: Ref facepaint by Axis of Stevil
June 10, 2019, 06:56:10 pm

Re: Ref facepaint by Major Wood
June 10, 2019, 01:49:04 pm

Ref facepaint by Rego_Derby
June 09, 2019, 03:38:38 pm

Author Topic: NON-WFTDA referee certification information  (Read 50777 times)

Offline Crash Test Ref

• Stats Sheet: 7
  • Referee Certification Level: Level 2
  • NSO Certification Level: Not Certified
Re: NON-WFTDA referee certification information
« Reply #30 on: January 30, 2009, 01:01:19 pm »
@ballistic

we should think about starting EFTDA ;-)

At the moment, we have no WFTDA certified leagues in Europe, but we use the same standards and evaluation forms for the skaters, and each league keeps these forms as a learning and assessment tool for their own skaters. 

Since the forms are online, we should do the same for refs who want to be evaluated by other leagues, and keep a record of it.  We'd be doing exactly what skaters all over Canada and Europe (and elsewhere) have been doing for a couple of years already.
Crash Test Ref
Level 2 WFTDA
Terminal City Rollergirls

Dick Bastardly

« Reply #31 on: November 15, 2009, 01:19:41 pm »
Hi,

Sorry to drag up an old thread, but now London are in the apprentice program, does this mean UK refs may soon have a chance to be certified?

Thanks,
DB

Offline Harry Spoter

• Stats Sheet: 2
« Reply #32 on: November 15, 2009, 01:37:59 pm »
As far as i know you dont have to be from a WFTDA league to become Certified anymore??? Correct me if im wrong??
Harry "Spots" Spot'er
Head Ref
Victorian Roller Derby League
Melbourne, Australia
WFTDA Level 2 Certified Referee

Offline Jessticular Fortitude

• Referee
  • Stats Sheet: 27
  • SOLID
  • League Affiliation: Nashville Rollergirls
  • Referee Certification Level: Level 2
« Reply #33 on: November 15, 2009, 02:26:20 pm »
Correct, it doesn't matter where you come from; if you meet the requirements for certification, you can apply for it. I will say though, if London is the only apprentice league over there you'll be hardpressed to find a lot of regulation bouts to work, so you'd need to travel over to the US to get more bout experience.

And time to plug the ol' officiating resume. Go ahead if you haven't and start up an online resume (I'd recommend Google docs) so you can keep track of all the bouts you have worked and the position you did. Keep a running tally somewhere on there for a quicker read. Mine is in my profile if you want an example of one way to do it. A bunch of us on here have one, so look around for different styles.
Hey look, a search function! Right up there! No on the left

Perhaps we should all spend a little more time reading and a little less time making shit up.

Offline Riff Reff

• Superhero Member
  • Stats Sheet: 30
  • League Affiliation: Dublin Roller Derby
  • Referee Certification Level: Not Certified
« Reply #34 on: November 16, 2009, 04:07:21 pm »
Sorry to drag up an old thread, but now London are in the apprentice program, does this mean UK refs may soon have a chance to be certified?

I would like to point you to the EuroRefs forum. We are in the middle of discussing this topic. Since getting a WFTDA certification without reffing in the US is something unlikely to happen in the near future, we are thinking about how to establish standards/evaluation/certification in Europe in order to guarantee a certain level of officiating.
The primary thought is to copy the WFTDA certification system. (Which does not make you a WFTDA certified ref and has no relevance outside of Europe) But nothing's decided yet. to quote Ballistic:

There's more questions than answers at this stage. No one has made any
decisions, nor is anyone in the position to make any just yet.
[…]
I think we really need to get as many of us as possible around a table to
discuss face to face before any concrete plans are made.
~bw~
« Last Edit: January 18, 2011, 02:03:38 pm by Riff Reff »
Don't look at the game with rules-tinted glasses; look at the rules with game-tinted glasses!

Offline Noah Tall

• Stats Sheet: 25
« Reply #35 on: December 20, 2009, 04:11:20 pm »
Thanks, Jess.

I just copied your format, but I added a column for ref evals, so I can track who I requested them from, and whether they were received.   I must say, mine looks very sad, but our season starts in 3 weeks, so it will soon be filling out ;).
WFTDA Ref Rep
WFTDA AP Area Coordinator
Arkansas

"We may not be skilled, but at least we're impartial!"

Offline Derby Rodriguez

• Stats Sheet: 0
  • To serve and to to eject
« Reply #36 on: January 23, 2011, 07:18:20 am »
Hi, ref in training here training with the Bay City Rollers league in Napier, New Zealand ... is there any way I can go for WFTDA certification in New Zealand?  Please accept my apologies if this has been covered, but I have only a short time on PC so can't read every post!

D-Rod

Offline Noah Tall

• Stats Sheet: 25
« Reply #37 on: January 23, 2011, 02:55:16 pm »
The only way to earn certification is to get evaluations from reffing or NSOing in WFTDA regulation or sanctioned bouts.  So, while yes, you can earn certification, you will have to travel to a WFTDA league in order to do so.  AFAIK, London is the only WFTDA league on that side of the world, but there are several apprentice leagues coming up in Australia and Europe.  I haven't heard of any in Asia.  Your closest league might be Hawaii right now.
WFTDA Ref Rep
WFTDA AP Area Coordinator
Arkansas

"We may not be skilled, but at least we're impartial!"

Offline Sven WillIBeFamous

• Stats Sheet: 2
« Reply #38 on: January 24, 2011, 03:41:59 pm »
The only way to earn certification is to get evaluations from reffing or NSOing in WFTDA regulation or sanctioned bouts.  So, while yes, you can earn certification, you will have to travel to a WFTDA league in order to do so.  AFAIK, London is the only WFTDA league on that side of the world, but there are several apprentice leagues coming up in Australia and Europe.  I haven't heard of any in Asia.  Your closest league might be Hawaii right now.

Auld Reekie Roller Girls(Edinburgh, Scotland) are an Apprentice league as of last year and I believe there are a couple of others in Europe (Berlin?).  I know this mainly as I whore myself out as an announcer from time to time for ARRG.
HelP!MYSPaceBarANDCapsLOCkaREBroKen!

Offline Professor Murder

• Stats Sheet: 42
  • Insert Witticism Here.
« Reply #39 on: January 24, 2011, 04:01:37 pm »
So, while yes, you can earn certification, you will have to travel to a WFTDA league in order to do so.

This is correct for the time being.

Officials in Australia and New Zealand suffer the most because of this structure.  But, for now, it is the structure.

That said, WFTDA Referee Certification has been listening and is aware of those shortcomings.
Philly Roller Girls
WFTDA Interim Games Officer
WFTDA Certified Referee: Level 5
"100% Less Dancing" - Dr. Vroom

Offline fiona poppins

« Reply #40 on: October 06, 2011, 04:07:08 pm »
I am interested in becoming certified a well it seems impossible. we are in a very rural area with out a certified refs for miles. i was told to find a mentor to help me trough the process. the problem seems to be that the number bouts actually quallified for certifications is small and there also has to be the correct personal to do the eval. My Question is would any refs be interested in a ref sponsered tournament. the idea being if you were invited to attend could leave with several evals under your belt for the year. plus at least one ref in your league would be on there way to certification and could help insruct their staff correctly? 

Offline Shaun Ketterman

• Stats Sheet: 42
  • Rush Zeta Epsilon Beta! ZEEBS! ZEEBS! ZEEBS!
  • League Affiliation: Rollergirls of Central Kentucky (ROCK)
  • Referee Certification Level: Level 3
« Reply #41 on: October 06, 2011, 06:03:28 pm »
I am interested in becoming certified a well it seems impossible. we are in a very rural area with out a certified refs for miles. i was told to find a mentor to help me trough the process. the problem seems to be that the number bouts actually quallified for certifications is small and there also has to be the correct personal to do the eval. My Question is would any refs be interested in a ref sponsered tournament. the idea being if you were invited to attend could leave with several evals under your belt for the year. plus at least one ref in your league would be on there way to certification and could help insruct their staff correctly? 

If you want to become certified, you're going to have to be willing to travel for it.  If you're isolated and not lucky enough to live in an established derby town, you need to be willing to drive for regulation and sanctioned bouts; they're not going to come to you.  I was driving anywhere from 1-3 hours each way for my early bouts.  That's the reality.  Secondly, you have to be willing to start at the bottom.  You need to be willing to NSO and  let other referees get a feel for you and your level of competence before they'll be willing to put you on crews.  There should be no job that you're too good for.  I've been doing this since 2008 and it still holds true for me.  Finally, three evals, assuming they're all positive, is the minimum to be eligible for certification.  I'd recommend shooting for at least triple that number before applying.   

WFTDA Level 3 Certified Referee
MRDA Recognized Referee
Zebrahuddle.com Moderator
Head Referee, Rollergirls of Central Kentucky
Lexington, Kentucky

You can call me "Shaun". My shirts say "Ketterman" because they're sports jersies. Only kids and mascots put first names on jersies!

Offline FNZebra

• Superhero Member
  • Stats Sheet: 35
  • I'm a shitty ref.
  • League Affiliation: Bleeding Heartland Roller Derby
  • NSO Certification Level: Level 2
« Reply #42 on: October 06, 2011, 06:09:04 pm »

Refs would always be interested in such a tournament -- the larger issue is getting the WFTDA skaters from different leagues together for the regulation and sanctioned bouts.  ;)

In theory, a third-party ref could earn up to three* evals from a single bout -- one from the head ref, and one from each team.

As a rural ref who wants to become certified, you will have to travel. A lot. And continually prove yourself to new people as you move up the levels of play. Plain and simple. It will take time, effort, and cash. Think about this as a two-year plan or so, realistically, to where you are getting offers that will generate a lot more eval opportunities.

Based on where you are, I predict some time spent on I-25, so take advantage of the mp3 files that someone generously provided of the current ruleset. There's a link here on ZH somewhere to them...

Ft Collins is an hour from you. Start to volunteer as an NSO with them or other Front Range leagues, to show them you are serious (and competent), and ask to move toward reffing their scrimmages, which then may lead to doing actual bouts. Even shadowing their refs at scrimmages will help you to grow as a ref.

Volunteering with non-WFTDA leagues will help you improve, also. The more bouting experience you can get, the better.

Until your league goes WFTDA, that is what you will have to do with other WFTDA (full and apprentice) leagues, to gain a toehold.

Then there will be area 'tournaments' near you (with "near" being a very relative term in the Rockies), which you should try to get into as an official, so that other people (aka other certified refs) will learn about you and your quality of work.

All that may take a year or two or more, depending on your skating skills, your reffing skills, how motivated you are, your availability, and your bank account and travel options.

Then the next step will to start getting onto WFTDA multi-day event rosters. These are usually your best option for getting evals. It takes a while to get up to that level, though, particularly if your league isn't WFTDA or doesn't inherit an already certified ref who moves to Cheyenne.

But don't give up. It is possible, difficult, but possible. I know certified refs who are independents (not affiliated with WFTDA leagues), and refs from Australia and Europe have become certified, too. EDIT: Like Shaun, who just beat me to the Post button, or Harry Spot'er, who posted in this thread before earning his cert.

And while I live in the same town as a WFTDA league, I usually have to travel 1-4 hours, to reliably get evals. (Our HR can't write them for me for our home bouts, so that just leaves the visiting team's eval as an option there; some are better than others for doing them.)

*Actual response rates will vary wildly.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2011, 06:15:54 pm by FNZebra »
You will bout as you practice.

Cheers,

FN Zebra
Bleeding Heartland Roller Derby (WFTDA)
Bloomington, Indianer

Offline PackMan

• Stats Sheet: 11
  • League Affiliation: Little City Roller Girls / Appalachian Roller Girls
« Reply #43 on: October 06, 2011, 08:39:26 pm »
you have to be willing to start at the bottom.  You need to be willing to NSO and  let other referees get a feel for you and your level of competence before they'll be willing to put you on crews. 

Don't get caught up in thinking there is a ladder to climb of various officiating positions.  Every official, (OPR, IPR, JR, and the plethera of NSO jobs) is needed in a bout.  Every job has ups and downs.  Many are a lot of fun to do, and they will all teach you something about this sport and the reffing of it if you pay attention.  As Shaun said, volunteer to NSO.  It's a great way for people to get to know you and gain confidence in you.  There are twice as many NSOs needed per bout and less sompetition for those spots so you will get your foot in the door easier that way.

Offline fiona poppins

« Reply #44 on: October 07, 2011, 01:32:03 am »
so you do not think that new leagues without any certified refs would travel to a tournament with in there region to get one certified ref on staff. I really think it would be best with only 12 teams. 7 that have no certified ref staff and 5 who have a well developed certified ref staff. i think more developed leagues would come for the chance to level up their refs. I like the  name masters tournament. the stats on Certified ref and position in national standings is compelling rather it is easier to build the ref staff because the better the league the more chance for high level evals or the league is better due to the increase knowledge of the ref staff is up for grabs.  but i am truly in love with the idea that it would be like ref boot camp starting with clinics before the tourny even started then an exhibition bout with all certified refs so the newbies can see how it is done . i also like the idea of setting up scenarios with skaters to demonstrate misunderstood calls.  my league is applying for apprenticeship it would be nice if this tourny could be or first as a wftda league. i am assuming it would take that long to organize. plus it is important to me that this event is for the refs by the refs.  I would also prefer if there were only regulation bouts. The other thing that is vital is standards of practice because we want it to be the best place for a crash course not a fly by night operation.   this is only my rock star dream wish the problem i am having is where do i start to get it done ?

Featured Product

Zebra Huddle Head Referee Bout Booklet

Featured Classifieds

ZH Files

How to Score a Point in Roller Derby
Rating: *****
Downloads: 3287
Views: 5379
Filesize: 327.61KB
Date: January 17, 2017, 04:21:03 am
Comments (0)
By: AdamSmasher
June 2013 Ruleset situational questions
Downloads: 2376
Views: 4971
Filesize: 29.71KB
Date: February 07, 2014, 04:57:32 pm
Comments (2)
By: Crash Test Ref
Rules Q&A and Publications for 6/15/13 Document
Rating: (None)
Downloads: 2541
Views: 5539
Filesize: 26.27KB
Date: August 02, 2013, 04:10:40 pm
Comments (0)
By: Shaun Ketterman
Rules Q&A and Publications for 1/1/13 Document (4/24/13 Updates)
Downloads: 3318
Views: 5524
Filesize: 28.07KB
Date: April 25, 2013, 05:45:34 pm
Comments (0)
By: Shaun Ketterman