ZH Classifieds
ZH Files
ZH Staff
WFTDA 12/1/2014 Rules
WFTDA 3/1/2014 Rules

Donate

Please Support Zebra Huddle!

Recent Posts

Re: Clamping down with the upper arm by bmd (2113)
June 12, 2019, 07:54:29 pm

Re: Ref facepaint by Major Wood
June 12, 2019, 04:16:34 pm

Re: Ref facepaint by Rego_Derby
June 11, 2019, 11:35:08 pm

Re: Ref facepaint by Axis of Stevil
June 10, 2019, 06:56:10 pm

Re: Ref facepaint by Major Wood
June 10, 2019, 01:49:04 pm

Ref facepaint by Rego_Derby
June 09, 2019, 03:38:38 pm

Re: Answering a directional with forearms by Major Wood
April 30, 2019, 07:44:47 pm

Answering a directional with forearms by Rego_Derby
April 30, 2019, 05:56:20 pm

Re: Yielding to the opposite side of the track by Bluebeard
April 22, 2019, 07:21:28 pm

Yielding to the opposite side of the track by MyBabyDaddy
April 21, 2019, 03:22:45 am

Author Topic: NON-WFTDA referee certification information  (Read 49139 times)

Offline Betty Bruises

• Stats Sheet: 1
Re: NON-WFTDA referee certification information
« Reply #60 on: October 09, 2011, 07:55:57 am »
I'm fortunate enough to have a WFTDA league with certified refs nearby and have worked with and asked about this. Some of the other things you may want to keep in mind are as mentioned you have to be willing to travel and tournaments are one of the best ways to get the most bang out of your buck so to speak.
As an official from a non-WFTDA league you really want to get a lot of evals in. Those evals and your test results wil then be gone over by the certification committee which to my understanding, consists of 5 people. In order to get certified you have to get unanimous approval based on your results from all 5 committee members, and as a member of a crew affiliated with a WFTDA league you only need a majority of 3 or more. If you have several positive evals from well respected WFTDA certified officials and officials that are already part of the "tournament circuit", the odds of those committee members feeling comfortable about issuing that certification and knowing that your abilities are up to WFTDA standards will be much higher.

Offline SeerSin

• Stats Sheet: 55
  • League Affiliation: Minnesota Rollergirls
  • Referee Certification Level: Level 5
  • NSO Certification Level: Not Certified
« Reply #61 on: October 09, 2011, 03:43:08 pm »
In order to get certified you have to get unanimous approval based on your results from all 5 committee members, and as a member of a crew affiliated with a WFTDA league you only need a majority of 3 or more.

Not so, WFTDA affiliated and non-WFTDA affiliated officials are on equal footing and require 3 of 5 votes in order to receive certification.

http://wftda.com/officiating/certification-faq#Q11

Offline HIM-roid

• Stats Sheet: 14
  • League Affiliation: Mississippi Rollergirls
  • Referee Certification Level: Level 2
« Reply #62 on: October 09, 2011, 05:13:37 pm »
That is great news for us Non-WFTDA affiliated league refs. I know the last time I looked at certification, which has been awhile, the requirement was 5 out of 5 approvals for non-WFTDA leagues. Things are looking up. @Fiona, as Betty said, the willingness to travel is a great help, but it really boils down to other leagues needing referees for bouts. It took me awhile to be asked to ref a bout outside of my affiliated teams bouts. You will be surprised as to how many other teams skaters are in the crowd watching a particular bout. I have been fortunate enough to have reffed 24 bouts in less than a year. Most of this was because of nearby and sometimes far off, leagues needed refs and me being able to travel. I too strive for certification but I know that I am not ready to be considered with only a year into this. Just because you aren't certified, doesn't mean you aren't a great ref, it just means you haven't been certified by WFTDA. I truly believe it takes quite a bit more time to really be proficient in it. I also have tapped into local leagues refs for advice as well as refs on here and that has gained me much more knowledge than just reading the rule book. I was told by a certified ref when I started on here to NSO as many bouts as possible if you can't ref them. The exposure and networking will do you good. I am not sure when the next WFTDA ref clinic is going to be for next year, but I highly recommend you attend one. It was great learning impact and get clarification from a level 5 and level 3 certified ref. Hang in there and if you go on vacation somewhere, check in advance if there is a league close by and see if they mind if you come practice with them. Best of Luck.
HIM-roid
WFTDA Apprentice Officials Area Coordinator
Head of Officiating
Mississippi Rollergirls
WFTDA-Certified Referee, Level 2
WFTDA Officials Apprentice Program Area Coordinator

Offline Betty Bruises

« Reply #63 on: October 09, 2011, 06:24:00 pm »
In order to get certified you have to get unanimous approval based on your results from all 5 committee members, and as a member of a crew affiliated with a WFTDA league you only need a majority of 3 or more.

Not so, WFTDA affiliated and non-WFTDA affiliated officials are on equal footing and require 3 of 5 votes in order to receive certification.

http://wftda.com/officiating/certification-faq#Q11

Oh :) Good to know!!! Thanks for the correction!

Offline James Harper

• Stats Sheet: 2
  • League Affiliation: Lowcountry Highrollers
  • Referee Certification Level: Not Certified
« Reply #64 on: October 11, 2011, 01:30:46 pm »
Just wanted to give a quick thank you to the Zebrahuddle staff and those referees that have allowed me to sit in ref meetings, NSO and referee along side you.....step one down...WFTDA written...passed :)   Now for some travel and evaluations haha....

and a question....evaluations are accepted from the head referee and captains of wftda regulated or sanctioned bouts? Do all three of these (if accepted) count as 1 or more than 1. I am not going to submit my application till I have as many as possible within a reasonable amount of time. Just curious as to the count.
These are merely my interpretations and opinions. I am here to gain and share knowledge.

If I am mistaken or calling incorrectly I am happy to be educated.

Offline SeerSin

« Reply #65 on: October 11, 2011, 05:50:43 pm »
Yes, the bout Head Referee and both teams may submit evaluations on officials for WFTDA Sanctioned or Regulation bouts. So you can receive up to three evaluations for one game if you are not affiliated with either league playing and the head ref is not from your affiliated league. So in theory you can meet the minimum requirement for evaluations from one game. Of course that's not ideal.

Note : It does not have to be the Team Captain who submits the evaluation. It is an "Authorized League Representative". Who that is and how it's decided is up to the skaters. Teams often appoint a skater not playing in the game to observe and fill out the evaluations. It's also good for skaters to get feedback from various team members for the evaluations.

Offline Yvel Saint Laurent

• NSO
  • Stats Sheet: 0
  • Official Game History - http://bit.ly/YSL-history
  • League Affiliation: Rainy City Roller Girls
  • NSO Certification Level: Level 2
« Reply #66 on: October 11, 2011, 08:39:35 pm »
I note that for the initial levels (1 & 2), a letter of recommendation is not required as it is for levels 4 & 5 - could a letter be submitted for consideration by a new applicant at level 1/2 to support their application anyway?
Official at Rainy City Roller Derby, and Knights of Oldham Roller Derby (Manchester, UK).
MRDA recognized official. WFTDA Lvl 2 NSO.

Offline SeerSin

« Reply #67 on: October 11, 2011, 08:51:02 pm »
I note that for the initial levels (1 & 2), a letter of recommendation is not required as it is for levels 4 & 5 - could a letter be submitted for consideration by a new applicant at level 1/2 to support their application anyway?

Absolutely.

Offline Rumspringa

• Stats Sheet: 0
« Reply #68 on: October 15, 2011, 05:50:41 pm »
I recently moved to Puerto Rico after skating with the river city roller girls (east). And one of the leagues here is trying for the apprentice program by getting their recommendation letter from the Dixie roller girls( south central?).

In my mind Puerto Rico would be east coast region but its not stated. So who would I send my certification info to?

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Offline SeerSin

« Reply #69 on: October 16, 2011, 01:27:59 am »
Go ahead and send it to refcert_southcentral@wftda.com, we'll work it out from there. Worst that happens is I forward your paperwork to the East Rep.

Offline James Harper

• Stats Sheet: 2
  • League Affiliation: Lowcountry Highrollers
« Reply #70 on: November 17, 2011, 02:24:42 pm »
These are merely my interpretations and opinions. I am here to gain and share knowledge.

If I am mistaken or calling incorrectly I am happy to be educated.

Offline matt adore

« Reply #71 on: November 28, 2011, 02:41:59 pm »
Yes, the bout Head Referee and both teams may submit evaluations on officials for WFTDA Sanctioned or Regulation bouts. So you can receive up to three evaluations for one game if you are not affiliated with either league playing and the head ref is not from your affiliated league. So in theory you can meet the minimum requirement for evaluations from one game. Of course that's not ideal.

Note : It does not have to be the Team Captain who submits the evaluation. It is an "Authorized League Representative". Who that is and how it's decided is up to the skaters. Teams often appoint a skater not playing in the game to observe and fill out the evaluations. It's also good for skaters to get feedback from various team members for the evaluations.

So just for clarification does this representative need to be someone that that the league designates as a referee evaluator or just one of their designated WFTDA reps?
Matt Adore
Mississippi Rollergirls (WFTDA apprentice)
Ocean Springs, MS

Offline The Gorram Reaver

• Referee
  • Stats Sheet: 60
  • League Affiliation: Mad Rollin' Dolls
  • Referee Certification Level: Level 2
« Reply #72 on: November 28, 2011, 03:13:11 pm »
So just for clarification does this representative need to be someone that that the league designates as a referee evaluator or just one of their designated WFTDA reps?

This can be anyone designated by the league to fill out the evaluation.  It does not need to be a WFTDA rep, and it does not need to be the same person every bout.
The Gorram Reaver
Mad Rollin' Dolls, Madison, WI

Featured Product

Zebra Huddle Head Referee Bout Booklet

Featured Classifieds

ZH Files

How to Score a Point in Roller Derby
Rating: *****
Downloads: 3162
Views: 4992
Filesize: 327.61KB
Date: January 17, 2017, 04:21:03 am
Comments (0)
By: AdamSmasher
June 2013 Ruleset situational questions
Downloads: 2260
Views: 4659
Filesize: 29.71KB
Date: February 07, 2014, 04:57:32 pm
Comments (2)
By: Crash Test Ref
Rules Q&A and Publications for 6/15/13 Document
Rating: (None)
Downloads: 2421
Views: 5194
Filesize: 26.27KB
Date: August 02, 2013, 04:10:40 pm
Comments (0)
By: Shaun Ketterman
Rules Q&A and Publications for 1/1/13 Document (4/24/13 Updates)
Downloads: 3206
Views: 5214
Filesize: 28.07KB
Date: April 25, 2013, 05:45:34 pm
Comments (0)
By: Shaun Ketterman