Re: "Pincer" blocks = multipayer? by Bluebeard
July 11, 2019, 06:30:49 pm

"Pincer" blocks = multipayer? by Rego_Derby
July 11, 2019, 01:08:36 am

Re: Jammer Scoring Theory by Major Wood
June 26, 2019, 09:59:33 pm

Jammer Scoring Theory by Rego_Derby
June 25, 2019, 04:30:03 am

Re: Clamping down with the upper arm by bmd (2113)
June 12, 2019, 07:54:29 pm

Re: Ref facepaint by Major Wood
June 12, 2019, 04:16:34 pm

Re: Ref facepaint by Rego_Derby
June 11, 2019, 11:35:08 pm

Re: Ref facepaint by Axis of Stevil
June 10, 2019, 06:56:10 pm

Re: Ref facepaint by Major Wood
June 10, 2019, 01:49:04 pm

Ref facepaint by Rego_Derby
June 09, 2019, 03:38:38 pm

Author Topic: Score Tracker when a team fails to field a jammer  (Read 6115 times)

Offline Two Bit Score

• Stats Sheet: 7
  • These Things Happen
Score Tracker when a team fails to field a jammer
« on: November 07, 2011, 07:40:54 pm »
So this actually came up last night, I was score tracking for a team where the team failed to have a jammer on the track before the first jam whistle was blown.  I know how I recorded it, but is there a standardized way to record a jam in which a team did not have a jammer? 

If you have an opinion on how to record it, that is great and welcomed. If you have a definitive answer, a citation would be most appreciated.

Thanks!
Any night when I can pull up the covers and say "I am a better ref right now than I was when I woke up," is a good day.
Omnia praesumuntur legitime facta donec probetur in contrarium.

Offline silverpie

• Stats Sheet: 0
Re: Score Tracker when a team fails to field a jammer
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2011, 08:23:34 pm »
My suggestion would simply be a dash in the jammer-number box, perhaps also check the NP box.

Offline ShoNuff

• Stats Sheet: 29
  • League Affiliation: Mad Rollin' Dolls
  • Referee Certification Level: Not Certified
  • NSO Certification Level: Level 4
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2011, 08:48:56 pm »
I'd agree that some sort of indication that there was no jammer should be put in so somoene reading the form understands that the number wasn't omitted but the scorekeeper wasn't able to catch the jammer's number.  I'm not sure I would mark NP as that gives an implication that the initial pass started but didn't finish.  I think I'd just fill in the jam number, write no jammer fielded or something to that effect in the jammer number box and leave the rest of the line blank.

Offline silverpie

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2011, 07:01:20 pm »
I'm not sure I would mark NP as that gives an implication that the initial pass started but didn't finish.

Agreed, just was thinking of whether a computer somewhere might read that line as incorrectly filled out without either a number or a checkmark. (If it did, I'd then tell someone to redesign the form with a checkbox for "no jammer".)

Offline theMadStatter

• Stats Sheet: 1
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2011, 08:13:51 pm »
I'm not sure I would mark NP as that gives an implication that the initial pass started but didn't finish.

Agreed, just was thinking of whether a computer somewhere might read that line as incorrectly filled out without either a number or a checkmark. (If it did, I'd then tell someone to redesign the form with a checkbox for "no jammer".)

If you are filling in the WFTDA Stat Book Excel Spreadsheet you'll probably want to enter something like a "-" in the jammer number (there are large chunks of the spreadsheet that check to see if a given cell is blank, and if so, ignores the rest of the row, including some erroneous checks where it looks at the wrong cell*).

However, all skater based stats are calculated based on the number entered in the IBRF, so anything that doesn't match is ignored (and since there wouldn't be a skater with "-", no stats will be gathered for a skater numbered "-").

Jam/Score based stats like NP will still work - the no pass column should still total up to include that.

However (and I'm going to have to do some spelunking to double check this), if the extra blocker is entered into the lineup sheet in the jammer column, they will be treated as a jammer for the purpose of skater stats (and so that skater will be listed as having skated a jam as jammer).

One possible work around is to adjust the height of the lineup tracker cell where that skater is entered to show the second (hidden) row and enter something there to indicate "not jammer".  The stats will still be wrong, but in theory one could adjust the formulas to try to take that into account - I've been contemplating that to deal with a local team that usually doesn't field a pivot (I then do my own analysis using some custom Python scripts I've been working on)

*If you have more skaters in the visitor section of the IBRF than in the home section, the skater summary stats & VTAR will be wrong because it ends up ignore some of the data for those extra visitor skaters

Offline bjmacke

• Stats Sheet: 2
  • League Affiliation: Minnesota RollerGirls
  • Referee Certification Level: Not Certified
  • NSO Certification Level: Level 2
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2011, 11:21:20 pm »
However (and I'm going to have to do some spelunking to double check this), if the extra blocker is entered into the lineup sheet in the jammer column, they will be treated as a jammer for the purpose of skater stats (and so that skater will be listed as having skated a jam as jammer).

Hmm? If a team doesn't field a jammer, you signify that on the lineup tracking sheet by using a slash/dash through the field for that jam number. You would never record a fourth non-pivot blocker in the jammer field; and you can never have five blockers on the field. Well, a jam might start with five blockers (or two pivots for that matter) but you wait for the refs to clear that up before you attempt to record the information.
also known as Apron, if you didn't know already.

Offline Auntie Bellum

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2011, 02:09:20 pm »
I agree, there is no fifth blocker just an ineligible jammer that is not in proper position and it isn't my job to sort out who that is. 

I would probably actually write a notation on the paper sheet just to be sure I can tell people what happened with that jam and use a - or something on the workbook.

In general I want to fill my paper sheet out in a way that I can be pretty sure I can recreate things (yes I have added small notes with asterisks) and I assume that being in the zone of watching for the next thing will work much like brainwashing and cause me to forget.

So what did you end up doing?

Offline Two Bit Score

• Stats Sheet: 7
  • These Things Happen
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2011, 03:28:08 pm »
theMadStatter, that's a good thought. I should probably dig through the spreadsheet myself and see how some of that is handled.  In answer to the question, I put N.A. which in retrospect (Not Applicable/Available) makes it look like I just didn't get the number.  But I didn't check the NP field, and I think it's probably correct not to check the NP field.

Was the first time I had encountered it as a score tracker, and I still think it would be great if there was a general consensus on a standardized way to handle it.
Any night when I can pull up the covers and say "I am a better ref right now than I was when I woke up," is a good day.
Omnia praesumuntur legitime facta donec probetur in contrarium.

Featured Product

Zebra Huddle Head Referee Bout Booklet

Featured Classifieds

ZH Files

How to Score a Point in Roller Derby
Rating: *****
Downloads: 3347
Views: 5468
Filesize: 327.61KB
Date: January 17, 2017, 04:21:03 am
Comments (0)
By: AdamSmasher
June 2013 Ruleset situational questions
Downloads: 2438
Views: 5041
Filesize: 29.71KB
Date: February 07, 2014, 04:57:32 pm
Comments (2)
By: Crash Test Ref
Rules Q&A and Publications for 6/15/13 Document
Rating: (None)
Downloads: 2596
Views: 5651
Filesize: 26.27KB
Date: August 02, 2013, 04:10:40 pm
Comments (0)
By: Shaun Ketterman
Rules Q&A and Publications for 1/1/13 Document (4/24/13 Updates)
Downloads: 3381
Views: 5612
Filesize: 28.07KB
Date: April 25, 2013, 05:45:34 pm
Comments (0)
By: Shaun Ketterman