ZH Classifieds
ZH Files
ZH Staff
WFTDA 12/1/2014 Rules
WFTDA 3/1/2014 Rules

Donate

Please Support Zebra Huddle!

Recent Posts

Re: Clamping down with the upper arm by bmd (2113)
June 12, 2019, 07:54:29 pm

Re: Ref facepaint by Major Wood
June 12, 2019, 04:16:34 pm

Re: Ref facepaint by Rego_Derby
June 11, 2019, 11:35:08 pm

Re: Ref facepaint by Axis of Stevil
June 10, 2019, 06:56:10 pm

Re: Ref facepaint by Major Wood
June 10, 2019, 01:49:04 pm

Ref facepaint by Rego_Derby
June 09, 2019, 03:38:38 pm

Re: Answering a directional with forearms by Major Wood
April 30, 2019, 07:44:47 pm

Answering a directional with forearms by Rego_Derby
April 30, 2019, 05:56:20 pm

Re: Yielding to the opposite side of the track by Bluebeard
April 22, 2019, 07:21:28 pm

Yielding to the opposite side of the track by MyBabyDaddy
April 21, 2019, 03:22:45 am

Author Topic: NSO Uniform  (Read 12127 times)

Offline Mountie

• Stats Sheet: 0
NSO Uniform
« on: November 28, 2011, 03:16:01 pm »
We have a couple of dedicated NSO people and we were wondering, if for these people we could have their names on the backs of the "OFFICIAL" shirts?  Do any of you do this, or have you seen it??
These guys are really dedicated and we kind of feel that they should be named just as the refs are.

Offline Two Bit Score

• Stats Sheet: 7
  • These Things Happen
Re: NSO Uniform
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2011, 03:27:36 pm »
We are currently using black T-shirts for NSOs, and they can have their derby name on the back if they like.
(Mainly it is only skating Refs filling in as NSOs that currently do it, this isn't a restriction, just how it's working out.)
Any night when I can pull up the covers and say "I am a better ref right now than I was when I woke up," is a good day.
Omnia praesumuntur legitime facta donec probetur in contrarium.

Offline The Gorram Reaver

• Referee
  • Stats Sheet: 60
  • League Affiliation: Mad Rollin' Dolls
  • Referee Certification Level: Level 2
  • NSO Certification Level: Not Certified
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2011, 03:48:31 pm »
Everyone on our crew, on or off skates, gets a shirt with their name on the back.  They can wear it during home games (and are encouraged to do so if filling an off skates position), during practices, out & about town, etc. 
The Gorram Reaver
Mad Rollin' Dolls, Madison, WI

Offline SilkenTofu

• NSO
  • Stats Sheet: 4
  • League Affiliation: Bleeding Heartland Rollergirls
  • Referee Certification Level: Not Certified
  • NSO Certification Level: Level 5
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2011, 03:48:56 pm »
For non-WFTDA tournament bouts, your NSOs can basically wear whatever they want.  A good rule of thumb is for them to not wear anything league-specific, but other than that, it's pretty much free reign.  NSOs love derby names, and definitely deserve them as much as refs!  (I may be a little biased here... :D )
Bloomington, IN
WFTDA Level 5 Certified NSO
WFTDA Clinic Instructor, WFTDA Officials Committee member
MRDA Certification Committee

Offline The Equalizer

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2011, 05:30:50 pm »
My league has and the leagues around me usually have Official shirts available for Those to wear and they just say Official on the back and are given back after the bout.  If they chose to buy there own shirt and put there name on the back so be it.  I personally have NSO'd a year at every bout this year for the league and a few outside my league i just own it with a belt and pirate boots.  The shirt i wear to my league's events i did grab one of an appropriate size for me to wear.  But that's it.

Offline Adamantium

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2011, 11:50:21 pm »
We specify something close to "theatre blacks" (i.e. unadorned black everything) for our NSOs. NSOs don't start with derby names, visiting refs acting as NSOs can if they have something appropriate.

Once an NSO has been with our league for half a year or so and shown dedication to the role, we buy the officials shirt with their derby name on it for them as a thank you for their service (which conveniently keeps all their names in a consistent font and size)

Offline mick hawkins

• Superhero Member
  • Stats Sheet: 61
  • They're covers people. Helmet COVERS!
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2011, 12:58:09 am »
We used to have our NSOs in plain all-black - until the rep/allstar/travel team decided on a black uniform.

It was decided that a team in black and the NSO crew in black wasn't appropriate.
So we now have our NSOs in grey polos with "OFFICIAL" on the back.

The polos look really smart and the NSOs seem to really enjoy having a uniform to wear. The shirts are owned by the league and returned after the bout

Of course the travel team now have a second, light, uniform now... it's grey   ::)
Sun State Roller Girls (WFTDA Apprentice League)
Brisbane, Australia

Offline Dan Halen

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2011, 01:00:07 am »
I actually think its an EXCELLENT idea to give NSOs a neutral coloured black shirt with their names on it.  If for no other reason, it will keep them from trying to wearing team colour clothes, which one of my biggest pet peaves.  I've seen quite a few NSOs trying to support their favourite team while on the track as a neutral game official.  Having an NSO uniform would go miles to stop that.  You could also have generic shirts made up that just say Non Skating Official in the same font, etc for those NSO who come and go.  And for the NSO who are there rock solid, game after game, they totally deserve to be named and recognised.

In fact, I'm going to go back and ask my league to do something similar!

Dan Halen
RCRD
Wellington, New Zealand

Offline Shaun Ketterman

• Stats Sheet: 42
  • Rush Zeta Epsilon Beta! ZEEBS! ZEEBS! ZEEBS!
  • League Affiliation: Rollergirls of Central Kentucky (ROCK)
  • Referee Certification Level: Level 3
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2011, 03:53:21 pm »
I actually think its an EXCELLENT idea to give NSOs a neutral coloured black shirt with their names on it.  If for no other reason, it will keep them from trying to wearing team colour clothes, which one of my biggest pet peaves.

Unless the team's color is black, haha!  I've written this before but I don't stress about colors on NSOs.  Worry about league logos but I don't believe that any league can lay exclusive claim to a color outside of the narrowly defined realm of their color versus the opposing team's color within a specific bout in 3.7.1.  In tournaments and double headers, a league will probably use different colors from bout to bout anyway.

If I were trying to come up with a shirt for an NSO crew, I'd have it follow WFTDA tournament standard which is a light pink with the word "OFFICIAL" on the back in black.  To personalize it, you could have the NSO's name screenprinted on the right breast of the shirt, like a nametag.  That way they've got a shirt that they can not only use at home, but also away and anywhere else they might NSO.
WFTDA Level 3 Certified Referee
MRDA Recognized Referee
Zebrahuddle.com Moderator
Head Referee, Rollergirls of Central Kentucky
Lexington, Kentucky

You can call me "Shaun". My shirts say "Ketterman" because they're sports jersies. Only kids and mascots put first names on jersies!

Offline PackMan

• Stats Sheet: 11
  • League Affiliation: Little City Roller Girls / Appalachian Roller Girls
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2011, 05:10:22 pm »
If I were trying to come up with a shirt for an NSO crew, I'd have it follow WFTDA tournament standard which is a light pink with the word "OFFICIAL" on the back in black.  To personalize it, you could have the NSO's name screenprinted on the right breast of the shirt, like a nametag.  That way they've got a shirt that they can not only use at home, but also away and anywhere else they might NSO.

This is what Little City does

Offline Dan Halen

« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2011, 08:00:46 pm »
Worry about league logos but I don't believe that any league can lay exclusive claim to a color outside of the narrowly defined realm of their color versus the opposing team's color within a specific bout in 3.7.1.

I get what you're saying Shaun.  In New Zealand play between leagues is not as frequent, so for us it's often the home season that this is an issue.  our league has 3 home teams and seeing the arena packed out in fans wearing team colours is awesome, but when the NSOs do it, not as awesome.  When their are travel games, it's very easy for people working the games to get very supportive of their city and forget that they are part of a neutral crew.

I guess for me its part of a larger question of non-partisan officiating.  Refs are better equipped for this but often NSO are recruited from non-playing skaters, freshmeat or fans.

At a recent travel game I had the jam timer instructing me to start calling more elbow penalties against "my team."  All I could say was to speak to the Head Ref, and oh by the way, I'm a ref, I don't have a team.  Another time we had the scoreboard operator call an official timeout to try and argue (with flawed reasoning no less) for more points for her league's team.  On that occasion my home league was the host and that crap is just embarrassing!

Offline Mountie

« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2011, 04:11:48 pm »
We have the light pink with Offical printed on the back for the NSO's generally.  It is just for a couple of the people who are 'only' NSOs. 
I like the idea of the name on the front.  This would make it clear to the visiting NSO's who they are to answer to and would give the NSO crew some much needed recognition.

Offline Kilty Conscience

« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2011, 03:00:29 am »
In Detroit, our NSOs are all members of the "Stat Army". We have our own logo for each season and everyone gets a shirt with their derby name on the back. This is our way of making sure no one wears anything inappropriate (team affiliated shirts), looks uniform and is a nice thank you to the volunteers for their time.
--Kilty Conscience

It's all about the love, baby!

Offline Brass Monkey

• League Affiliation: Texas Rollergirls
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2012, 07:18:14 pm »
Just completed my first bout as a NSO for Aurora, Most of the NSO's just wore a league shirt (some with printed name on back).  Others (like me) were instructed to just wear a black shirt.  They are not marked with NSO at all.  Pretty new league still, but do you think this si something we should look in to?  Or is this alright for a beginner league.

Also any colors we should steer away from or towards?  (Obviously not Zebra Stripes).
#87 Brass Monkey

Official [Assistant Head Ref] - Texas Rollergirls

[Former] Skater - Chicago Bruise Brothers

Offline Brad Religion

• Stats Sheet: 7
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2012, 07:55:18 pm »
Colors matter very little, in my view. However, I would avoid any and all league logos - the only team any of these people are with on bout day is team Officials.
Bleeding Heartland Roller Girls
Bloomington, IN

Featured Product

Zebra Huddle Head Referee Bout Booklet

Featured Classifieds

ZH Files

How to Score a Point in Roller Derby
Rating: *****
Downloads: 3156
Views: 4984
Filesize: 327.61KB
Date: January 17, 2017, 04:21:03 am
Comments (0)
By: AdamSmasher
June 2013 Ruleset situational questions
Downloads: 2256
Views: 4655
Filesize: 29.71KB
Date: February 07, 2014, 04:57:32 pm
Comments (2)
By: Crash Test Ref
Rules Q&A and Publications for 6/15/13 Document
Rating: (None)
Downloads: 2416
Views: 5185
Filesize: 26.27KB
Date: August 02, 2013, 04:10:40 pm
Comments (0)
By: Shaun Ketterman
Rules Q&A and Publications for 1/1/13 Document (4/24/13 Updates)
Downloads: 3201
Views: 5208
Filesize: 28.07KB
Date: April 25, 2013, 05:45:34 pm
Comments (0)
By: Shaun Ketterman