Re: "Pincer" blocks = multipayer? by Bluebeard
July 11, 2019, 06:30:49 pm

"Pincer" blocks = multipayer? by Rego_Derby
July 11, 2019, 01:08:36 am

Re: Jammer Scoring Theory by Major Wood
June 26, 2019, 09:59:33 pm

Jammer Scoring Theory by Rego_Derby
June 25, 2019, 04:30:03 am

Author Topic: Format for ref resume  (Read 40277 times)

Offline reflmao

• Stats Sheet: 21
Re: Format for ref resume
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2012, 04:32:02 pm »
When I am a HR looking at ref resumes I prefer something like the header Megapickle has.

Name, contact info, etc  The summary by position is also useful.  I like that you have a photo there.  I'll probably add that to mine.

It would be handy if you added your insurance into that header.  It's something I'll need if I'm going to schedule you.
RCRD, Rochester, NY

Offline Eject You Later

• Stats Sheet: 24
  • League Affiliation: Old Capitol City Roller Girls
  • Referee Certification Level: Level 2
  • NSO Certification Level: Not Certified
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2012, 04:32:35 pm »
i like the color coded positions on your resume, i do believe ill adopt that. 
here's mine https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AuI6VUO0ukIPdGppSkRFZHhFRERBcDV4bVdCWVJDSmc

2 recommendations:

1. Have a summary.  Either a page on its own, or a place at the top that lists, at a glance, how many bouts that you have worked in any given position.  For bonus points include total sanctioned/regulation and tournament* games in your summary.

Reason:  If you apply to work a tournament, it allows the reviewer to quickly see that you have worked X games as a jam ref, Y sanctioned games, and possibly the most important piece of information for them is that you have worked Z tournament-level games.

2. Have your bout order flipped, so that the newest bout appear at the top and the oldest bout appears at the bottom.

Reason:  Your current bouts are the most relevant.  Everything is part of the picture, so those old bouts are important, but even though you reffed Team Awesome vs. Team Spectacular in 2006, what have you done lately?

* I am seeing a growing trend to only give the moniker of "tournament" to the Big 5 WFTDA events, and listing all other events as "multi-bout" events.  ECDX has started doing this, and it wouldn't surprise me if other events begin picking this up as well (ECDX has been known to start a trend or two).  However, this is not wide-spread as of yet, and for my own personal refsume I still list multi-bout events as tournament experience (for now).
Eject You Later - Referee
Old Capitol City Roller Girls of Coralville, IA
WFTDA Member League
Zebra Huddle Referee Verifier

Offline Freddie Mercenary

• Stats Sheet: 0
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2012, 05:31:42 pm »
i like the color coded positions on your resume, i do believe ill adopt that. 
here's mine https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AuI6VUO0ukIPdGppSkRFZHhFRERBcDV4bVdCWVJDSmc

2 recommendations:

1. Have a summary.  Either a page on its own, or a place at the top that lists, at a glance, how many bouts that you have worked in any given position.  For bonus points include total sanctioned/regulation and tournament* games in your summary.

Reason:  If you apply to work a tournament, it allows the reviewer to quickly see that you have worked X games as a jam ref, Y sanctioned games, and possibly the most important piece of information for them is that you have worked Z tournament-level games.

2. Have your bout order flipped, so that the newest bout appear at the top and the oldest bout appears at the bottom.

Reason:  Your current bouts are the most relevant.  Everything is part of the picture, so those old bouts are important, but even though you reffed Team Awesome vs. Team Spectacular in 2006, what have you done lately?

* I am seeing a growing trend to only give the moniker of "tournament" to the Big 5 WFTDA events, and listing all other events as "multi-bout" events.  ECDX has started doing this, and it wouldn't surprise me if other events begin picking this up as well (ECDX has been known to start a trend or two).  However, this is not wide-spread as of yet, and for my own personal refsume I still list multi-bout events as tournament experience (for now).

thanks! Starting to make the changes now, i need a refresher on my excel formulas though.  ill get this done tonight!
Sean Dempsey AKA Freddie Mercenary
Granite State Roller Derby Head Referee
Concord, New Hampshire, USA
have stripes, will travel: freddiemercenary (at) gmail (dot) com

Offline FNZebra

• Superhero Member
  • Stats Sheet: 35
  • I'm a shitty ref.
  • League Affiliation: Bleeding Heartland Roller Derby
  • Referee Certification Level: Not Certified
  • NSO Certification Level: Level 2
« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2012, 05:34:54 pm »
Random thoughts from someone who has helped with staffing duties...

Summaries are very useful, but they better match the data, and vice versa. Keep your data updated, and accurate. It's also so much easier to do it regularly than trying to backfill a chunk of data. If you worked in the past month, you should have also updated your data.

At a minimum, data to include is:
Date
Teams (not just leagues)
Location of bout
Officiating position
Head ref
Head ref contact info
Tournament head ref
Tournament head ref contact info
Bout classification ( sanc, reg, non-reg; could also add a column for WFTDA, MRDA, JRDA, ...)
Tournament/multi day event name
Notes

NSOs will likely want to include info about the HNSO and THNSO, too.

Do not use color as the only indicator of something, also include important data as text -- not everyone can see colors similarly, and your data may get copy/pasted by a decider and your color information lost.

And an important tidbit regarding nomenclature...
In the land of WFTDA, the word Tournament means a Big 5 thing (aka Regionals and Championships). Brewhaha, ECDX, and so on are considered "multi-day events". So be careful how you use the word 'tournament'. As an example, officiating at the B-Cup shows that you have experience officiating at a tournament-like event, but shouldn't be considered Tournament experience.

Other info that's nice to include is your certification, if any, your USARS or WFTDA insurance number, and officiating clinic attendance.

And if you use google spreadsheet, and want it to count certain bouts for you automatically...
=countif(E6:E129, "OPR")

That formula will count every cell in the range E6 thru E129 that contains the phrase "OPR" and returns the result as a number. So if you modify that for your own spreadsheet range and phrasing, it will keep count of overall bouts at a given position. Spaces can live inside a phrase in those quotes in the formula, too. The formula should live in a cell outside the range it looks into, also. One formula per position, please.

And PLEASE, for the love of others, name your document with your officiating name!
« Last Edit: March 28, 2012, 08:07:26 pm by FNZebra »
You will bout as you practice.

Cheers,

FN Zebra
Bleeding Heartland Roller Derby (WFTDA)
Bloomington, Indianer

Offline deadeye

• League Affiliation: Ohio Roller Girls
« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2012, 07:38:35 pm »
Hey Freddie, your resume has email addresses in it and this forum is publicly accessible and search engine crawlable. By linking to it here, that info will likely wind up easily searchable and spamable.
2013 Ohio Roller Girls Head of Officiating
WFTDA Nerd Herd Chair

Offline Megapickle

• Stats Sheet: 16
  • League Affiliation: Emerald City Roller Girls & Lane County Concussion
« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2012, 08:26:17 pm »
In my experience, Gmail's spam filter is virtually perfect. So for me, any lingering minuscule risk of my address slipping into the wrong hands is far outweighed by the benefit of being easily reachable.

Offline Brass Monkey

• League Affiliation: Texas Rollergirls
« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2012, 11:15:09 pm »
Here is a copy of mine.  Sadly the sheet about Skating is empty :(  But my NSO side is filling up quite nicely

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/pub?key=0AtnpP1cpwlR6dHVFOERGMlFUei1FMTRGN0I4VVZsVXc&output=html
#87 Brass Monkey

Official [Assistant Head Ref] - Texas Rollergirls

[Former] Skater - Chicago Bruise Brothers

« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2012, 01:20:40 am »
made some edits based on feedback from all.  hook a brother up, what do you think now? 
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AuI6VUO0ukIPdGppSkRFZHhFRERBcDV4bVdCWVJDSmc#gid=0

« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2012, 01:39:28 am »
Hey Freddie, your resume has email addresses in it and this forum is publicly accessible and search engine crawlable. By linking to it here, that info will likely wind up easily searchable and spamable.
Yeah, i was weary of including my phone number so i removed it.  i think ill take my chances with Googles spam filter and see what happens.  i included the email addresses of all the head referees too, they will likely not be happy if they get spammed.  what do you guys think?

Offline Lalato

• League Affiliation: Wasatch Roller Derby
« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2012, 01:54:10 pm »
Is it worthwhile to include scrimmages on a separate tab?  Just wondering...

Offline kornable

• Stats Sheet: 7
  • League Affiliation: Sun State Roller Girls
« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2012, 02:29:52 pm »
i thought about including scrimmages on my resume, but 3 years of 1 scrimmage per week = 150 scrims

i think after you get about 20 games on your resume the scrims become a bit pointless

« Reply #26 on: March 29, 2012, 02:31:02 pm »
Is it worthwhile to include scrimmages on a separate tab?  Just wondering...

somewhere in this thread someone mentioned not including scrimmages or bouts that arent full length.  since both of my multi day events featured non regulation length bouts i removed them from their own tab and just included them in my summary, i was accepted as a referee to beast of the east this year and will also include that in the summary as the bouts are not full length.  i don't see the harm in summarizing that you have worked X amount of formal scrimmages if you thought it would help your case.  the case being your preparedness to work a bout.  once you have a handful of actual regulation bouts under your belt though i would probably omit it.  

hope this helps.

here's mine: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AuI6VUO0ukIPdGppSkRFZHhFRERBcDV4bVdCWVJDSmc#gid=0
one of you creepers left your pc idle with my resume open.  i can see you!   :P
« Last Edit: March 29, 2012, 02:37:41 pm by Freddie Mercenary »

Offline Invader Jim

• Stats Sheet: 3
  • League Affiliation: Naptown Roller Girls
« Reply #27 on: March 29, 2012, 03:24:05 pm »
i thought about including scrimmages on my resume, but 3 years of 1 scrimmage per week = 150 scrims

i think after you get about 20 games on your resume the scrims become a bit pointless

I include interleague scrims but not intraleague scrims. We do one intraleague scrim a week at practice and I don't see a good reason to include those. Even so, nearly half of the bouts (15 so far, 17 after this weekend) I have reffed were interleague scrims.

Offline deadeye

• League Affiliation: Ohio Roller Girls
« Reply #28 on: March 29, 2012, 04:14:22 pm »
Yeah, i was weary of including my phone number so i removed it.  i think ill take my chances with Googles spam filter and see what happens.  i included the email addresses of all the head referees too, they will likely not be happy if they get spammed.  what do you guys think?

That's my point. I don't want my email address hanging in the wild, so I'm hoping to nip this practice in the bud before it catches on. This is what Addressbooks are for folks.
2013 Ohio Roller Girls Head of Officiating
WFTDA Nerd Herd Chair

Offline Megapickle

• Stats Sheet: 16
  • League Affiliation: Emerald City Roller Girls & Lane County Concussion
« Reply #29 on: March 29, 2012, 04:30:21 pm »
My mistake. When I'd commented above about Gmail's effective spam filter, it was because I thought we were just referring to Freddie putting his own gmail address out there (as I do). I hadn't scrolled over to notice the column of HR emails. I totally agree with you, deadeye: Unless each one of them gave explicit permission to publish his/her address, that's not appropriate.  Those should be "avail on request".

Featured Product

Zebra Huddle Head Referee Bout Booklet

Featured Classifieds

ZH Files

How to Score a Point in Roller Derby
Rating: *****
Downloads: 3963
Views: 6542
Filesize: 327.61KB
Date: January 17, 2017, 04:21:03 am
Comments (0)
By: AdamSmasher
June 2013 Ruleset situational questions
Downloads: 2577
Views: 5344
Filesize: 29.71KB
Date: February 07, 2014, 04:57:32 pm
Comments (2)
By: Crash Test Ref
Rules Q&A and Publications for 6/15/13 Document
Rating: (None)
Downloads: 2776
Views: 5977
Filesize: 26.27KB
Date: August 02, 2013, 04:10:40 pm
Comments (0)
By: Shaun Ketterman
Rules Q&A and Publications for 1/1/13 Document (4/24/13 Updates)
Downloads: 3572
Views: 5964
Filesize: 28.07KB
Date: April 25, 2013, 05:45:34 pm
Comments (0)
By: Shaun Ketterman