Re: "Pincer" blocks = multipayer? by Bluebeard
July 11, 2019, 06:30:49 pm

"Pincer" blocks = multipayer? by Rego_Derby
July 11, 2019, 01:08:36 am

Re: Jammer Scoring Theory by Major Wood
June 26, 2019, 09:59:33 pm

Jammer Scoring Theory by Rego_Derby
June 25, 2019, 04:30:03 am

Author Topic: New Scoreboard For Roller Derby  (Read 39121 times)

Offline Veggie Delight

• Stats Sheet: 0
New Scoreboard For Roller Derby
« on: March 01, 2012, 03:08:06 am »
Hey All,

Just so I am open and clear, this is not an Ad, but I am directly related to this product.  This is more like a wish that we just want feedback.  If you don't remember me, I released the Android Timer Application a few months ago. 

http://www.zebrahuddle.com/index.php?topic=2210.0

Tonight, I am proud to announce the release of the next generation Scoreboard.  I have been spending the passed few months building it with my partner.  We took everything the Carolina Scoreboard had to offer, but added a few new features.  We know it will be extremely hard to talk you out of using some tried and true piece of software, but we aren't asking that at this moment.  What we are asking is that we get some good and honest feedback about this scoreboard we built.  Over the next few months, we will be spending a lot of time making sure this one is the best and when you choose to or your team decides to, you can make the switch knowing where to find the developer if something breaks. hah.

So if you could, just hear me out.  Install it, open it up and email us on any and all feedback you might have to offer.

info@rdnation.com

The download page has the features that we currently have in the board, so I don't want to bore you anymore, lets just cut to the chase.

http://rdnation.com/roller-derby-scoreboard

We are in Public Beta until April 2012, so we suggest not using this at any bouts just yet.  We will push an update when we feel its ready for full time.

Thanks All!

BTW, You are the first ones to see this Scoreboard in the wild, so consider your selves privileged.

Just in case your wondering whats coming next.

http://blog.rdnation.com/

Offline mick hawkins

• Superhero Member
  • Stats Sheet: 61
  • They're covers people. Helmet COVERS!
  • Referee Certification Level: Not Certified
  • NSO Certification Level: Not Certified
Re: New Scoreboard For Roller Derby
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2012, 03:41:30 am »
Not only is your post an ad... but your scoreboard actually looks very much like the Carolina Roller Girls one

Your website (which only mentions CRG's as a comparison) gives me the impression you're taking someone else's hard work and claiming it as your own

My feedback would be:

Dont steal other's work
Come up with something that doesn't already exist, or is at least significantly different  in some way
Don't start a thread to advertise it
« Last Edit: March 01, 2012, 04:40:46 am by mick hawkins »
Sun State Roller Girls (WFTDA Apprentice League)
Brisbane, Australia

Offline Megapickle

• Stats Sheet: 16
  • League Affiliation: Emerald City Roller Girls & Lane County Concussion
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2012, 09:00:45 am »
So we're crystal clear, this is a commercial venture. Per CheetahTech's Veggie Delight's personal blog: "We personally think it has the ability to make big money."
« Last Edit: March 01, 2012, 07:40:10 pm by Megapickle »

Offline Riff Reff

• Superhero Member
  • Stats Sheet: 30
  • League Affiliation: Dublin Roller Derby
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2012, 09:15:33 am »
You definitely need to change the frontend, and if it's just for the sake that people don't think that the CRG board is in use.
(I mean, even the black grey gradient? seriously?)

and there is no UKRDA rule set btw....
Don't look at the game with rules-tinted glasses; look at the rules with game-tinted glasses!

Offline Megapickle

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2012, 10:20:31 am »
(I mean, even the black grey gradient? seriously?)
Seriously shameless.

Open source =/= public domain.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2012, 04:37:03 pm by Megapickle »

Offline Veggie Delight

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2012, 03:35:22 pm »
I want to make sure this makes sense.

I don't consider it an Ad because the scoreboard is free.  It will remain free for the lifetime of the application.  Never to be charged for.  We will keep investing our valuable time into it.

It does look like the Carolina Scoreboard.  But they do not currently hold copyright or trademark to their design.  We consider their scoreboard to be the best in the current "market".  So we wanted to both mirror them and improve upon it.  We think it lacks in some areas and we want to push the envelope like I said.  Whats so wrong about healthy competition?  Competition has shown to improve the entire environment of which that competition resides.

We decided that our scoreboard needs to be at least to par with what Carolina offers.  We are not trying to steal it.  Just to match it so we can offer a significant difference down the line.  And we will get there.  We have many more improvements being made in the coming weeks and months.  Stay Tuned.

It is a commercial venture, but the scoreboard is not.  We only wish to build the scoreboard like we built the Android Timer.  To make the over all Roller Derby experience better for the Roller Derby Family. 

As for the front end of the scoreboard, there are themes that will be installed later in this scoreboard.  The themes will allow users to pick any type of front end they want to that best suites them.

Sadly, we have some API calls to our server for "later" use.  We cannot make it public domain due to those API calls.  We don't wish for fake information to arise later down the line and this way we are striving to make sure it doesn't happen.

All I am asking, is just give us a couple more months.  You will be seeing a large improvement both in the scoreboard and a new way to manage Roller Derby in general.

We will be pushing the envelope HARD.

Please remember, I am only building these things because someone else chooses not to.

I want to help, not hurt the Roller Derby way of life.

Offline Megapickle

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2012, 05:00:37 pm »
I don't consider it an Ad because the scoreboard is free.
Does not compute. I'm bombarded by ads for "free" products dozens of times a day.

It does look like the Carolina Scoreboard.  But they do not currently hold copyright [...]
That's a laugher. Open the "COPYING" file of the CRG package, and tell me what the first word is.

Offline Veggie Delight

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2012, 06:54:38 pm »
Mega, The interface does not hold copyright or trademark.  In the GNU copyright, the interface is defined by what an official standards body recognizes as the correct standard.  Or derives from what is widely used in used among developers of that particular language.

We have not made an exact copy nor have modified the original source requiring us to obtain copyright permission.

Because of this, they do not hold copyright over our product.

I am sorry to offend you.  All I asked was that you look over and rate our product and give us feedback.  We would have hoped that you and everyone else in the roller derby family would accept this with open arms.  For we have a long way to go and we are only getting started.

If you would like to talk about how we can clear this up, I am more than happy to.  So please don't hesitate.

Thank you.

Offline Half-Nelson

• Stats Sheet: 2
  • League Affiliation: Dutchland Derby Rollers
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2012, 07:12:31 pm »
It does look like the Carolina Scoreboard.  But they do not currently hold copyright or trademark to their design...
software licenseillegalyour

Offline Eject You Later

• Stats Sheet: 24
  • League Affiliation: Old Capitol City Roller Girls
  • Referee Certification Level: Level 2
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2012, 07:27:21 pm »
The best course of action would be for you to temporarily remove your software from distribution, issue an apology to the CRG Scoreboard developers, and re-release your software with a user interface of your own devising.

Or contact Mr. T and join him in a collaborative effort.  He might like additional programmers submitting code and tweaks.

Of course it won't be "yours" but then, if you copy his efforts, it isn't really yours in the first place.
Eject You Later - Referee
Old Capitol City Roller Girls of Coralville, IA
WFTDA Member League
Zebra Huddle Referee Verifier

Offline Major Wood

• Administrator
  • Has Too Much Damn Time Member
  • Stats Sheet: 77
  • League Affiliation: Nashville Rollergirls
  • Referee Certification Level: Level 5
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2012, 07:30:32 pm »
My strong suggestion is to come up with something drastically different. If that is what you are intending to do, start from the ground up.

If you are really looking to provide a similar look and feel to the CRG scoreboard, with a bunch of new features, why not submit code to their open source project? That scoreboard is definitely still under development and is widely accepted as the standard.

I'm not saying that there isn't room for another scoreboard on the market, but it needs to be very unique. Saying this as someone who had a scoreboard on the market in the past, there is no way I'd try to compete at this point.
Your friendly Zebra Huddle admin.

Nashville Roller Derby Head Ref
WFTDA Level 5 Certified Referee

I speak only of my opinions and interpretations.

Offline Veggie Delight

« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2012, 08:04:36 pm »
Im glad there is a real discussion now instead of just accusations.  Thanks for rerouting the conversation.

The scoreboard we are currently working on almost generic to other scoreboards out there.  If we could compare it to others they pretty much have the same type of interface and design.

http://www.pcscoreboards.com/rollerderbyscoreboardpro/

http://poang.gg/

http://www.rollerderbyproductions.com/features.php

Its hard to say what Carolina has created is not the standard, but other scoreboards use that same standard.  Carolina just also drastically changed their UI in the past 2 months as well with a version .2 release.  So while the argument could be made that we copied another scoreboard, its also hard to build something that is drastically different because it is the standard.

I am not personally trying to do anything illegal and if thats the case, then I will contact Mr T. and have a chat with him. 

We don't wish to submit code to their base at this time.  Stated earlier, we are doing things with our servers API, that we don't wish to release at this time in order to make sure no fake data is implemented.

The user interface features Carolina and ours share is hard to describe, but I do understand where everyone is coming from.  I will consider changing the User interface around to make adjustments that we are no as close to the Carolina board as some people might see us.  But I ask you to understand, it will be hard to drastically change it due to the standard being exactly what the Carolina and other boards offer.

I hope you guys and gals will still understand and at least test our board out over the next couple weeks.  You will be seeing lots of improvements over that period of time.

Thanks all for your advice and your consideration.

Offline Megapickle

« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2012, 08:43:37 pm »
The scoreboard we are currently working on almost generic to other scoreboards out there.  If we could compare it to others they pretty much have the same type of interface and design.

Really? You're claiming that all five of these have "pretty much the same design"?

Offline Veggie Delight

« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2012, 09:10:10 pm »
Look Mega,

Yes they are.  Scores are in the same place, Logos mostly in the same place along with the team names.  In reality, the only real thing that Carolina and us share is the theme.  The difference with ours and Carolina is you can choose a different theme for our board.

Once we get themes built out in the scoreboard, I wouldn't be surprised if you see other designs from us that mimic other scoreboards in the wild.  Remember, we want to take the best and make it better.

Just download it and give it a try.  Put your money where your mouth is and give us other types of feedback instead of talking about the same thing.  We have added the themes item to our list of enhancements for the month just so we can have this argument settled.

As you can see here: http://bugs.rdnation.com/

If there is more feedback, let me know so we can address it.

Offline mick hawkins

• Superhero Member
  • Stats Sheet: 61
  • They're covers people. Helmet COVERS!
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2012, 09:13:17 pm »
Im glad there is a real discussion now instead of just accusations.  

Accusations?
The initial post said...
We took everything the Carolina Scoreboard had to offer, but added a few new features.
you "took everything the Carolina Scoreboard had".... which apart from being past tense when it should be present tense, admits that you took everything the Carolina Scoreboard has.

Seems like a pretty clear admission that you're attempting to take someone else's work and claim it as your own.

Makes me wonder how much of your product uses CRG code.

I'm going to stick with the CRG scoreboard
Sun State Roller Girls (WFTDA Apprentice League)
Brisbane, Australia

Featured Product

Zebra Huddle Head Referee Bout Booklet

Featured Classifieds

ZH Files

How to Score a Point in Roller Derby
Rating: *****
Downloads: 3974
Views: 6557
Filesize: 327.61KB
Date: January 17, 2017, 04:21:03 am
Comments (0)
By: AdamSmasher
June 2013 Ruleset situational questions
Downloads: 2583
Views: 5356
Filesize: 29.71KB
Date: February 07, 2014, 04:57:32 pm
Comments (2)
By: Crash Test Ref
Rules Q&A and Publications for 6/15/13 Document
Rating: (None)
Downloads: 2784
Views: 5995
Filesize: 26.27KB
Date: August 02, 2013, 04:10:40 pm
Comments (0)
By: Shaun Ketterman
Rules Q&A and Publications for 1/1/13 Document (4/24/13 Updates)
Downloads: 3579
Views: 5981
Filesize: 28.07KB
Date: April 25, 2013, 05:45:34 pm
Comments (0)
By: Shaun Ketterman