Re: "Pincer" blocks = multipayer? by Bluebeard
July 11, 2019, 06:30:49 pm

"Pincer" blocks = multipayer? by Rego_Derby
July 11, 2019, 01:08:36 am

Re: Jammer Scoring Theory by Major Wood
June 26, 2019, 09:59:33 pm

Jammer Scoring Theory by Rego_Derby
June 25, 2019, 04:30:03 am

Re: Clamping down with the upper arm by bmd (2113)
June 12, 2019, 07:54:29 pm

Re: Ref facepaint by Major Wood
June 12, 2019, 04:16:34 pm

Re: Ref facepaint by Rego_Derby
June 11, 2019, 11:35:08 pm

Author Topic: New Scoreboard For Roller Derby  (Read 38206 times)

Offline Veggie Delight

• Stats Sheet: 0
Re: New Scoreboard For Roller Derby
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2012, 09:28:52 pm »
Ugh,

Our scoreboard isn't written in Java at all.  We don't even touch a single part of their code.  Most of its written in HTML and Javascript.  While we are written in WPF and C#.

When I say we took everything the Carolina board had to offer, it was a metaphor.  We didn't actually use or take their code.

You guys are a rough crowd.

Offline mick hawkins

• Superhero Member
  • Stats Sheet: 61
  • They're covers people. Helmet COVERS!
  • Referee Certification Level: Not Certified
  • NSO Certification Level: Not Certified
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2012, 09:45:59 pm »
Ugh,

Our scoreboard isn't written in Java at all.  We don't even touch a single part of their code.  Most of its written in HTML and Javascript.  While we are written in WPF and C#.

When I say we took everything the Carolina board had to offer, it was a metaphor.  We didn't actually use or take their code.

I see... so you just took their design?
Sun State Roller Girls (WFTDA Apprentice League)
Brisbane, Australia

Offline Veggie Delight

« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2012, 09:54:05 pm »
We took their "Game Clock" what everyone sees on the projector/screen and added it as our first theme in the scoreboard.  There will be multiple "themes" to display to fans in the next month.  We just thought Carolina was the best "theme" in the bunch. 

So yes, we did steal their forward facing "Game Clock" for the time being.  We planned to roll out additional "Game Clocks" later this month.

But it looks like we need to speed that part up so I can make sure the feedback I am getting is received well.

Offline Half-Nelson

• Stats Sheet: 2
  • League Affiliation: Dutchland Derby Rollers
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2012, 09:58:54 pm »

Yes they are.  Scores are in the same place, Logos mostly in the same place along with the team names.  In reality, the only real thing that Carolina and us share is the theme.  The difference with ours and Carolina is you can choose a different theme for our board.

Offline Veggie Delight

« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2012, 10:04:05 pm »
Thank You Half-Nelson.

Ill get back to you on this.

Offline Major Wood

• Administrator
  • Has Too Much Damn Time Member
  • Stats Sheet: 77
  • League Affiliation: Nashville Rollergirls
  • Referee Certification Level: Level 5
« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2012, 04:13:22 am »
To give you a little more insight...

Apple recently got the Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 removed from the market in Germany because the design was too similar. Anyone who watches the tablet market would know that there isn't a whole lot you can do to make a tablet that people would want that would make it look drastically different. Yes, that is in Germany, but American laws aren't terribly different when it comes to Likelihood of Confusion.

Those are both tablets. Do they look identical? No. Do they look similar? Yes.
Now look at your scoreboard and the CRG scoreboard with that thought in mind. That is the crux of this discussion.
I'm no lawyer, but I would say that Mr. T is in an actionable position at this point.
Your friendly Zebra Huddle admin.

Nashville Roller Derby Head Ref
WFTDA Level 5 Certified Referee

I speak only of my opinions and interpretations.

Offline mick hawkins

• Superhero Member
  • Stats Sheet: 61
  • They're covers people. Helmet COVERS!
« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2012, 06:50:18 am »
Indeed. I think the legal term (here in Australia at least), "deceptively similar" might apply also.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2012, 06:52:34 am by mick hawkins »
Sun State Roller Girls (WFTDA Apprentice League)
Brisbane, Australia

Offline Riff Reff

• Superhero Member
  • Stats Sheet: 30
  • League Affiliation: Dublin Roller Derby
« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2012, 01:29:49 pm »
To maybe turn this into constructive feedback:

I would consider a scoreboard that looks different from the CRG scoreboard. In our new venue we are using a large LED wall, that has a resolution of 500something to 300something pixels. A reason why I don't use league logos.
CRG has no 16:9 output (yet).
I would prefer if the numbers of the score would not be in those grey boxes but simply white on black. I would even more prefer if I could change the frontend to my needs easily.
As long as your scoreboard looks like the CRG I have no need to switch.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2012, 02:48:32 pm by Riff Reff »
Don't look at the game with rules-tinted glasses; look at the rules with game-tinted glasses!

Offline Cliquework

• Superhero Member
  • Stats Sheet: 55
  • EGO sum Speculum. Noxiae poena par esto.
  • League Affiliation: Demolition City Roller Derby
  • Referee Certification Level: Level 3
« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2012, 01:51:58 pm »
To maybe turn thins into constructive feedback:

Thank you.

+1
Demolition City Roller Derby Head Ref
Evansville, IN
Zebra Huddle Moderator
WFTDA Refcert Checklist

Offline Trax

« Reply #24 on: March 02, 2012, 02:17:33 pm »
Hello all, my name is Trax (from Sweden).

My partner is Veggie Delight and together we run RDNation.com.

First off, I would like to offer you all a sincere apology, both for the layout theft and also for my partner's aggravating responses. I just got informed of this forum posting process and I would like to try and explain our predicament.

Our goal is to enhance the world of Roller Derby and also try to reach the big mass of people that are still unaware of the beauty of Roller Derby. Our first step towards these goals was to produce a Scoreboard.
The idea is to hook the Scoreboard to our website so that you and your team can display not only the result from the bouts, but also stats from the bout live so that everyone, even those that are not attending, can see it. We hope that the Scoreboard will lead the way for our future applications.

Regarding the theft of the Carolina's Roller Derby Scoreboard.
I want to make it clear that we had and still have no intention of stealing their work, regardless of what previous posts might indicate.
To accommodate this, I did what Half-Nelson suggested and removed the download link to the current version and it will remain down until we have finished a layout of our own. If, in the future, as Half-Nelson said, we get permission to use the Carolina Scoreboard's interface, then and only then will it be incorporated into Thor's Hammer Scoreboard. We hope that this won't have caused too big of a rift between us, and we will be very careful to make sure that everything we do in the future will be as accurate and correct as humanly possible.

After reading some statements about economic ventures above, I would just like to make this perfectly clear. Yes we have some economic interests and we will strive to bring in a few dollars to cover our costs, but not from the Scoreboard. The Scoreboard, Thor's Hammer, will always be a free application to use with no restrictions.

Course of actions from our side will be/have been executed:
- Removal of the download of Thor's Hammer.
- Apology to the Zebra Huddle's community for inappropriate and aggravating responses from my partner Veggie Delight.
- Working on a brand new interface for the game clock so that, when we re-release it, it will be ours.
- Remove the code for the layout of the game clock in our code bank.

Once again, I'm sorry for the trouble that this has caused so far and I hope you will find it in your hearts to forgive our mistake and strive with us to make Roller Derby an even more fantastic experience in the future.

Your friend or foe on the tracks,
Trax.

P.S.
I also added this as a bug in our publicly viewable issue tracker, bugs.rdnation.com

Offline Trax

« Reply #25 on: March 02, 2012, 02:22:11 pm »
To maybe turn thins into constructive feedback:

I would consider a scoreboard that looks different from the CRG scoreboard. In our new venue we are using a large LED wall, that has a resolution of 500something to 300something pixels. A reason why I don't use league logos.
CRG has no 16:9 output (yet).
I would prefer if the numbers of the score would not be in those grey boxes but simply white on black. I would even more prefer if I could change the frontend to my needs easily.
As long as your scoreboard looks like the CRG I have no need to switch.

Thanks Riff Reff for your feedback. I have added it as a requested feature in our Issue Tracker, bugs.rdnation.com

Offline Trax

« Reply #26 on: March 12, 2012, 09:51:28 pm »
Hello all!

We have now relaunched the Scoreboard with our own Game Clock and some other small fixes. The Carolina layout is still in since we got a written permission to use it. The beta-testing will continue until beginning of April where we hope to have our website up and running to display stats from the games, everything free.

Test it and please let us know what you think, feedback@rdnation.com

Download it from: http://rdnation.com/scoreboard

Current bugs/future improvements/enhancements and such can be found here: http://bugs.rdnation.com

Your friend or foe on the tracks,
Trax

Offline Veggie Delight

« Reply #27 on: April 09, 2012, 05:41:57 am »
Hello All,

I just wanted to keep everyone updated on the new release of Thor's Hammer.  The scoreboard built by RDNation.com.

We just released version 1.5.  We added skater pictures and a few more bug fixes.

You can see the full list here: http://blog.rdnation.com/post/20762418989/thors-hammer-v1-5-0

You can download the new version here: http://rdnation.com/roller-derby-scoreboard

If you have any comments/questions or concerns, please feel free to ask or email us at info@rdnation.com.

Thanks for all your support. We have been getting amazing feedback from the entire derby family.

Veggie D.

Offline Veggie Delight

« Reply #28 on: May 11, 2012, 01:34:57 am »
Hey All,

Its been just about a month since our last release of our roller derby scoreboard.  We just released version 1.5.3.  This version includes more bugs fixes, but a major new feature.

We received a need from one of the teams currently using it.  They wanted a better way to do skater introductions.  So we built out dynamic templates for introduction slides.  The slides are templates which you can customize colors of each.  There are currently two templates offered.  We plan on more in the future and would gladly build out anything suggested.

This feature by it self is supposed to save your scoreboard operator a few hours before the bout trying to set up and create slides.  Hopefully this will both save time and frustration along with making your fans more Awed by roller derby.

The full blog post about it is here: http://blog.rdnation.com/post/22807391348/thors-hammer-v1-5-3-roller-derby-scoreboard

You can download the scoreboard from here: http://rdnation.com/roller-derby-scoreboard

Again, if you have any comments, questions or concerns, please email us at info@rdnation.com and we will answer you back promptly.

Thanks for all the feedback so far.

Veggie D.

Offline Veggie Delight

« Reply #29 on: May 17, 2012, 07:40:11 am »
Hey All,

With keeping with the tradition, we wanted to update this thread on the next release of the Scoreboard.  Its only been 7 days and we have received mountains of feedback.  We took the biggest few items on the list and went ahead to build them out.

So here they are with Version 1.5.4.

• Per Jam Scoring - Now fans can see how many points were accrued per each jam, while the jam is currently taking place.
  • Slide Show Manager - We built in a way to have slides for the game.  The slides could be advertisements, profiles, Flags of any nation etc.  With this, we included the ability to rotate images with a 10 second delay, and even the period or intermission clock in the upper left hand corner so everyone knows how much time is left.
  • Cleaner Interface - We reworked our design by grouping together the logos and advertisements under different windows.  Making it cleaner for scoreboard operator.

The full blog post with pictures can be found here: http://blog.rdnation.com/post/23217173734/thors-hammer-v1-5-4-roller-derby-scoreboard

You can download the scoreboard for your self here: http://rdnation.com/roller-derby-scoreboard

As always, provide us with any comments, questions or concerns at our email: info@rdnation.com.

Keep up with the feedback, we really appreciate it.

Veggie D.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2012, 08:10:25 am by Veggie Delight »

Featured Product

Zebra Huddle Head Referee Bout Booklet

Featured Classifieds

ZH Files

How to Score a Point in Roller Derby
Rating: *****
Downloads: 3539
Views: 6334
Filesize: 327.61KB
Date: January 17, 2017, 04:21:03 am
Comments (0)
By: AdamSmasher
June 2013 Ruleset situational questions
Downloads: 2512
Views: 5196
Filesize: 29.71KB
Date: February 07, 2014, 04:57:32 pm
Comments (2)
By: Crash Test Ref
Rules Q&A and Publications for 6/15/13 Document
Rating: (None)
Downloads: 2703
Views: 5798
Filesize: 26.27KB
Date: August 02, 2013, 04:10:40 pm
Comments (0)
By: Shaun Ketterman
Rules Q&A and Publications for 1/1/13 Document (4/24/13 Updates)
Downloads: 3491
Views: 5785
Filesize: 28.07KB
Date: April 25, 2013, 05:45:34 pm
Comments (0)
By: Shaun Ketterman