Re: "Pincer" blocks = multipayer? by Bluebeard
July 11, 2019, 06:30:49 pm

"Pincer" blocks = multipayer? by Rego_Derby
July 11, 2019, 01:08:36 am

Re: Jammer Scoring Theory by Major Wood
June 26, 2019, 09:59:33 pm

Jammer Scoring Theory by Rego_Derby
June 25, 2019, 04:30:03 am

Re: Clamping down with the upper arm by bmd (2113)
June 12, 2019, 07:54:29 pm

Re: Ref facepaint by Major Wood
June 12, 2019, 04:16:34 pm

Re: Ref facepaint by Rego_Derby
June 11, 2019, 11:35:08 pm

Author Topic: Track cut question- blocker and jammer  (Read 2762 times)

Offline Invader Jim

• Stats Sheet: 3
  • League Affiliation: Naptown Roller Girls
  • Referee Certification Level: Not Certified
  • NSO Certification Level: Not Certified
Track cut question- blocker and jammer
« on: May 14, 2012, 03:36:14 pm »
White jammer and black blocker are foremost skaters. Blocker is directly in front of jammer and adjacent to inside line. Blocker hits jammer, jammer counters, blocker's left skate crosses the line and then comes back in. Blocker is still in front of jammer.

This occurred in-play and contact areas were primarily blocker backside and jammer front. What do you call?

This happened during a scrim. I called a cut minor on blocker.

Offline Eject You Later

• Stats Sheet: 24
  • League Affiliation: Old Capitol City Roller Girls
  • Referee Certification Level: Level 2
Re: Track cut question- blocker and jammer
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2012, 03:47:48 pm »
White jammer and black blocker are foremost skaters. Blocker is directly in front of jammer and adjacent to inside line. Blocker hits jammer, jammer counters, blocker's left skate crosses the line and then comes back in. Blocker is still in front of jammer.

This occurred in-play and contact areas were primarily blocker backside and jammer front. What do you call?

This happened during a scrim. I called a cut minor on blocker.

From what you have described I believe I agree with your call, though it opens a couple of questions:

1. When you say, "crosses the line" I assume you mean that one of her skates touched out of bounds (as opposed to making contact with the boundary but never touching beyond the boundary)?  Remember that the boundary line is considered in bounds, so unless she is touching beyond the boundary then she is still in bounds.

2. When you say, "blocker backside" for contact area... was it a legal contact area (back of the shoulder) or an illegal contact area (the back)?  While it is legal for the blocker to hit the jammer with her back (legal blocking zone), it is illegal for the jammer to initiate contact to the blocker's back (illegal target zone).  Counter blocks are held to the same standard as blocks.  So if the jammer initiated a counter block into the blocker's back, and it put her out of bounds, I would call a back block major on the jammer.  Since the jammer is now considered NOTT, the blocker is not obligated to return behind her and thus has not committed a cutting penalty.

So yeah, assuming you answer 1 as "she touched beyond the boundary" and 2 "she made contact to a legal target area" then I agree with your assessment.  If a skater legally blocks another skater out of bounds, she has established superior position, and the skater that is out of bounds must return to the track behind her.  Cutting the opposing jammer is a minor penalty.
Eject You Later - Referee
Old Capitol City Roller Girls of Coralville, IA
WFTDA Member League
Zebra Huddle Referee Verifier

Offline Invader Jim

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2012, 04:22:56 pm »
1. When you say, "crosses the line" I assume you mean that one of her skates touched out of bounds (as opposed to making contact with the boundary but never touching beyond the boundary)?  Remember that the boundary line is considered in bounds, so unless she is touching beyond the boundary then she is still in bounds.

Blocker's skate crossed completely over the line. She was straddling and therefore OOB.

2. When you say, "blocker backside" for contact area... was it a legal contact area (back of the shoulder) or an illegal contact area (the back)?  While it is legal for the blocker to hit the jammer with her back (legal blocking zone), it is illegal for the jammer to initiate contact to the blocker's back (illegal target zone).  Counter blocks are held to the same standard as blocks.  So if the jammer initiated a counter block into the blocker's back, and it put her out of bounds, I would call a back block major on the jammer.  Since the jammer is now considered NOTT, the blocker is not obligated to return behind her and thus has not committed a cutting penalty.

Blocker booty-blocked and turned her side to the jammer. (She might have been trying a can-opener.) Blocker clearly initiated the contact/engagement. Jammer's counter was pushing forward with torso against blocker back and side area. It was one big and sudden move; blocker hits, jammer is not moved as she leans into hit and pushes/leans forward slightly so as not to be moved out of position. It caused the blocker to lose balance slightly and into straddle position. 

Offline reflmao

• Stats Sheet: 21
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2012, 04:37:29 pm »
Blocker clearly initiated the contact/engagement. Jammer's counter was pushing forward with torso against blocker back and side area.

This is still the outstanding question.

If the jammer's contact was was to a legal target zone legal then the blocker gets a minor cut.  If the jammer's contact was to an illegal target zone then the jammer gets a major back block. 

Eject's post explains whys.
RCRD, Rochester, NY

Offline Invader Jim

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2012, 04:51:07 pm »
Blocker clearly initiated the contact/engagement. Jammer's counter was pushing forward with torso against blocker back and side area.

This is still the outstanding question.

If the jammer's contact was was to a legal target zone legal then the blocker gets a minor cut.  If the jammer's contact was to an illegal target zone then the jammer gets a major back block.  

Eject's post explains whys.

The blocker's initial contact was with her back/booty but she turned so the contact (jammer counter) was side/shoulder against the jammer front.  Nobody questioned the legality of the contact but a few people thought I should have called a major track cut, not minor, since the jammer and blocker were foremost. I was puzzled briefly when I made the call but "foremost opposing blocker" , not "foremost opposing jammer/skater" stuck in my head I could not think of any rule that would justify a major track cut in that situation.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2012, 05:41:10 pm by Invader Jim »

Featured Product

Zebra Huddle Head Referee Bout Booklet

Featured Classifieds

ZH Files

How to Score a Point in Roller Derby
Rating: *****
Downloads: 3505
Views: 6328
Filesize: 327.61KB
Date: January 17, 2017, 04:21:03 am
Comments (0)
By: AdamSmasher
June 2013 Ruleset situational questions
Downloads: 2511
Views: 5185
Filesize: 29.71KB
Date: February 07, 2014, 04:57:32 pm
Comments (2)
By: Crash Test Ref
Rules Q&A and Publications for 6/15/13 Document
Rating: (None)
Downloads: 2698
Views: 5792
Filesize: 26.27KB
Date: August 02, 2013, 04:10:40 pm
Comments (0)
By: Shaun Ketterman
Rules Q&A and Publications for 1/1/13 Document (4/24/13 Updates)
Downloads: 3491
Views: 5777
Filesize: 28.07KB
Date: April 25, 2013, 05:45:34 pm
Comments (0)
By: Shaun Ketterman