Re: "Pincer" blocks = multipayer? by Bluebeard
July 11, 2019, 06:30:49 pm

"Pincer" blocks = multipayer? by Rego_Derby
July 11, 2019, 01:08:36 am

Re: Jammer Scoring Theory by Major Wood
June 26, 2019, 09:59:33 pm

Jammer Scoring Theory by Rego_Derby
June 25, 2019, 04:30:03 am

Re: Clamping down with the upper arm by bmd (2113)
June 12, 2019, 07:54:29 pm

Re: Ref facepaint by Major Wood
June 12, 2019, 04:16:34 pm

Re: Ref facepaint by Rego_Derby
June 11, 2019, 11:35:08 pm

Re: Ref facepaint by Axis of Stevil
June 10, 2019, 06:56:10 pm

Author Topic: NSO Membership Termination  (Read 10731 times)

Offline Arithmetrix

• Stats Sheet: 0
  • League Affiliation: Hartford Area Roller Derby
  • Referee Certification Level: Not Certified
  • NSO Certification Level: Not Certified
NSO Membership Termination
« on: May 22, 2012, 03:56:10 pm »
We are implenting an NSO membership at our league, and I am very excited about it.  While the required involvement is less than skating roles, it is important that high standards be maintained because I need to have a solid roster for every bout, just like our coaches and head ref.  These are the expectations we decided on:

1) NSOs must work all home bouts, barring serious conflict.  NSOs that cannot work a home bout must tell me as soon as they know of the conflict, and a minimum of two weeks in advance of the bout.
2) NSOs must attend 3 scrimmage practices a month; this includes the 2 directly preceding a bout.  They must inform me if they will miss a scrimmage practice.
3) NSOs must learn/staff any position that they are physically able to.  I will consider preferences but league needs trump that.

One thing I am struggling with a bit is when to terminate an NSO membership. I am admittedly a bit of a marshmallow when dealing with people so having set standards is very important.  I'm thinking of having a "3 strikes" system leading to loss of good standing (which triggers a probationary period).  A strike being:

1) Not informing me of inability to work a home bout with the required notice (barring emergency).
2) Failure to make attendance for a month.
3) Failure to inform me of a known absence.
4) Refusal to work/learn a certain position or a consistently bad/disruptive attitude towards working non-preferred positions.

I am also toying with the idea of allowing strikes to be erased by certain "above and beyond" acts, like working an away bout.

Any thoughts?

Offline Major Wood

• Administrator
  • Has Too Much Damn Time Member
  • Stats Sheet: 77
  • League Affiliation: Nashville Rollergirls
  • Referee Certification Level: Level 5
Re: NSO Membership Termination
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2012, 04:03:42 pm »
My first thought is that three strike doesn't always fit. Some offenses are much worse than others. I would think that disciplinary policies should reflect those situations.
What I mean is that someone who fails to meet their attendance requirements is not as bad as someone showing up to a bout drunk. Someone who treats a skater abusively should be taken very seriously as well.

My suggestion is that there be some sort of grievance process as well. So if someone feels that an offense warrants more than just a single strike toward a probationary period, there is a course of action toward that end.
Your friendly Zebra Huddle admin.

Nashville Roller Derby Head Ref
WFTDA Level 5 Certified Referee

I speak only of my opinions and interpretations.

Offline FNZebra

• Superhero Member
  • Stats Sheet: 35
  • I'm a shitty ref.
  • League Affiliation: Bleeding Heartland Roller Derby
  • NSO Certification Level: Level 2
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2012, 04:15:50 pm »
I would be concerned about the "learn/staff any position" part.

Mental capacity and willingness also are huge factors in someone rocking an NSO position. How some people are wired may make them a 'natural' or cause them to be always working against their own grain to perform the expected duties at an appropriate level.

Gently suggest that you rephrase that along the lines of "cross-training to learn multiple positions is desired, and will be supported during practices, scrimmages and bouts, as appropriate" or some such.
You will bout as you practice.

Cheers,

FN Zebra
Bleeding Heartland Roller Derby (WFTDA)
Bloomington, Indianer

Offline Arithmetrix

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2012, 04:33:40 pm »
I would be concerned about the "learn/staff any position" part.

Mental capacity and willingness also are huge factors in someone rocking an NSO position. How some people are wired may make them a 'natural' or cause them to be always working against their own grain to perform the expected duties at an appropriate level.

Gently suggest that you rephrase that along the lines of "cross-training to learn multiple positions is desired, and will be supported during practices, scrimmages and bouts, as appropriate" or some such.
Thanks for that input.  I think that my ultimate goal is that people at least be willing to try everything, unless it puts their safety at risk or they genuinely can't perform it (quite a few of our non-rostered skaters who function as NSOs for the time being have hearing loss, for example).  If someone cycles through all the positions and finds one they love, can perform well, and are dead set on, that is terrific.  If they want to stick with the first thing they try because of just preference and aren't open to finding what they might actually be best at, that really doesn't work.

Major Wood, misconduct would be covered under our general membership disciplinary process, but now that you bring it up there might be a bit of uniqueness there as NSOs serve in an official capacity but off-skates and there might need to be clarification about, say, drinking on duty.

Offline Stegoscorus

• Stats Sheet: 51
  • STOP. Collaborate, and listen.
  • League Affiliation: Rose City Rollers
  • Referee Certification Level: Level 3
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2012, 04:52:08 pm »
Echoing Wood's sentiment, and adding: sometimes you just don't have the luxury of enforcing attendance policies.  Even with a huge crew, my former league often had the choice of staffing NSOs who didn't make their required practices, or scrambling to find guests/broken skaters/someone else who we weren't sure of their ability.

I would suggest a probation arrangement.  If you don't meet attendance requirements, or don't give enough notice for not being able to come to a bout, you're on probation for x amount of months.  If you screw up again...figure out if you want to add another strike, or dismiss them from the league then, or what makes sense for a follow up.

Also: what is the policy for refs who commit these offenses?  I'd suggest holding refs and NSOs to the same standards.  Not necessarily the same attendance requirements, but the same repercussions for not fulfilling responsibilities.
WFTDA Certified Referee - Level 3
Founding Member, ARROW
Portland, OR, U.S.A.

Statsquatch

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2012, 05:18:09 pm »
The policy wthat we have in place is simply if you fall out of good standing/don't meet attendance requirements, you aren't allowed to vote on officiating committee matters. You're still more than welcome to volunteer and help out.

Push comes to shove, if I have someone that I know can run the scoreboard while blindfolded that hasn't been able to make practice all month because of a new work schedule, I'm still going to ask them to work a bout that fits in their schedule.

Offline Shaun Ketterman

• Stats Sheet: 42
  • Rush Zeta Epsilon Beta! ZEEBS! ZEEBS! ZEEBS!
  • League Affiliation: Rollergirls of Central Kentucky (ROCK)
  • Referee Certification Level: Level 3
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2012, 05:27:13 pm »
The policy wthat we have in place is simply if you fall out of good standing/don't meet attendance requirements, you aren't allowed to vote on officiating committee matters. You're still more than welcome to volunteer and help out.

Push comes to shove, if I have someone that I know can run the scoreboard while blindfolded that hasn't been able to make practice all month because of a new work schedule, I'm still going to ask them to work a bout that fits in their schedule.

Agreed.  I do and have used people who've proven themselves capable for staffing positions regardless of how many practices they've been to.  In fact I have a jam timer I have used for 3 years who hasn't been to a practice in about that long.  In all of my official staffing procedures, attendance at practices is far below demonstrated, proven ability in my priorities.  Don't let something like an attendance policy tie your hands.  My policy is that I must see you doing the job and know you're good at the job.  Tacitly, for most people that means you're going to show up to practices to learn and demonstrate this but me saying "you must show up at practice X amount of times" is more of a hindrance than a help.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2012, 05:30:38 pm by Shaun Ketterman »
WFTDA Level 3 Certified Referee
MRDA Recognized Referee
Zebrahuddle.com Moderator
Head Referee, Rollergirls of Central Kentucky
Lexington, Kentucky

You can call me "Shaun". My shirts say "Ketterman" because they're sports jersies. Only kids and mascots put first names on jersies!

Offline Arithmetrix

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2012, 05:46:31 pm »
I agree that once someone is solid at a position attendance becomes not much of an issue (assuming that they are reliable, and that is where letting me know if they won't be at a scrimmage comes in).  I have a few bouting-eligible skaters that are, due to their past performance, top choices when they are not rostered even though they scrimmage weekly so haven't NSOed at practice in months.

My concern is avoiding flakiness, basically.  People who show up every once in a while randomly, never consistently enough to learn any position solidly, and then expect to be staffed for the bout, which I can't be sure they will even show up for.  I've encountered that with some of the newer skaters who function as NSOs, but the skater attendance policy kicks in for them and they either shape up or ship out.

Statsquatch

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2012, 05:56:58 pm »
My concern is avoiding flakiness, basically.  People who show up every once in a while randomly, never consistently enough to learn any position solidly, and then expect to be staffed for the bout, which I can't be sure they will even show up for.  I've encountered that with some of the newer skaters who function as NSOs, but the skater attendance policy kicks in for them and they either shape up or ship out.

Then I just wouldn't staff them. If a person isn't showing up because they have a scheduling conflict, and they've made you aware of that? That's a person being an adult. If however it someone telling you at the last minute, "Oh, I was sleepy," that's an issue. I had an NSO bail an hour before a bout because she had the sniffles. I will never again staff her again. I would rather pull a fan from the crowd and teach them a position knowing in advance I will have to do that over finding out at the last moment I'm going to need to. Knowing I'm walking into a shortage > being blindsided with one.

Offline Nick Bergus

• Stats Sheet: 10
  • League Affiliation: Old Capitol City Roller Girls
  • Referee Certification Level: Level 2
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2012, 06:06:52 pm »
My concern is avoiding flakiness, basically.

Would it work for you is to start potential and new NSOs on a "probationary" period of a set length of time during which they need to fulfill certain expectations before being staffed at a bout? That would allow you to waive experienced NSOs (whom you presumably trust to do the job) from the requirements attendance requirements.

What are the benefits of being a member NSO?
WFTDA-certified referee, level 2
Zebra Huddle moderator

Offline SeerSin

• Stats Sheet: 55
  • League Affiliation: Minnesota Rollergirls
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2012, 06:08:19 pm »
Also: what is the policy for refs who commit these offenses?  I'd suggest holding refs and NSOs to the same standards.  Not necessarily the same attendance requirements, but the same repercussions for not fulfilling responsibilities.

This. Whatever the end policy having the same or very similar requirements goes a long way toward crew cohesion.

1) NSOs must work all home bouts, barring serious conflict.  NSOs that cannot work a home bout must tell me as soon as they know of the conflict, and a minimum of two weeks in advance of the bout.
2) NSOs must attend 3 scrimmage practices a month; this includes the 2 directly preceding a bout.  They must inform me if they will miss a scrimmage practice.
3) NSOs must learn/staff any position that they are physically able to.  I will consider preferences but league needs trump that.

1) Not informing me of inability to work a home bout with the required notice (barring emergency).
2) Failure to make attendance for a month.
3) Failure to inform me of a known absence.
4) Refusal to work/learn a certain position or a consistently bad/disruptive attitude towards working non-preferred positions.

My first thoughts on this policy are that it's a little harsh for volunteers and it's all negative reinforcement. Attendance policies require some reasonable leeway, otherwise you run the risk of no one being able to meet them when life comes up. We are, after all, volunteers. I'd suggest striking a balance between the needs of the league(showing up, practicing, not bailing on games) and the needs of the volunteers(family obligations, work, school, getting a cold, etc).

Our NSO attendance policy states that attendance will be considered when staffing home games. So if an NSO shows up to practice and score keeps regularly then he/she is going to get the score keeping position at the game. If an NSO wants to scorekeep but only shows up now and then that NSO doesn't get their choice position. NSOs are required to make at least 2 scrimmage practices a month in order to go on away games. The league funds their travel so it's reasonable to expect a little more from NSOs who wish to travel. So this way we have rewards for showing up instead of punishment for not showing up. Rewards work much better with volunteers. Also, the league NSOs created this policy themselves by discussion and voting. It works much better when a crew creates their own requirements, then getting everyone to follow the policy is much easier.

We don't have a specific policy for officials who bail on games a day or two before, but it certainly makes us hesitant to staff a person in the future.

Offline reflmao

• Stats Sheet: 21
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2012, 06:37:51 pm »
Our officiating group charter was pretty vague to begin with and only became vaguer during rewrites.  

We found that if you are too structured and specific you will run into problems where someone who is willing and able can't be used and you need to either break your rules or go without.

We've basically moved all the requirements to "approved by Board of Officials".  We have a dispute process (which we've never had to use) and yearly votes so the board can't get to far out of line.

For Skating refs, and very similar for NSOs,  this looks like (paraphrased):
[rule]The Board of Officials will have final approval to clear any official to officiate a bout. The BoO will take into account that officials qualifications; including, but not limited to, the following when determining bout readiness:

* Approval of peers
* Sufficient Attendance to referee practices and scrimmages
* Demonstrates knowledge of the rules
* Demonstrates application of the rules[/rule]
« Last Edit: May 22, 2012, 06:55:05 pm by reflmao »
RCRD, Rochester, NY

Offline Arithmetrix

« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2012, 06:42:03 pm »
Thanks for all the feedback.  Refs who chronically don't make attendance are subject to penalties including and up to being dropped from the league, just like skaters.

Regarding the attendance policy, I do agree that it may be a little too demanding. However, I still have the concern that people may be so erratic/unreliable that they can never be staffed for bouts and are a distraction at practice more than a help.   And (yes I know this is a sticking point because I see it mentioned a lot) NSO positions require skill and practice and the formation of team relationships just like any other derby position - people need to be at practice for that to happen, and for me to be able to assess whether or not they are ready.  I think there is a way to strike a balance but I need to think on it a little more - the probationary period is a good idea; it would differ from other memberships being that for refs and skaters the probationary period is at the beginning of membership and standards rise from there.

Our NSO membership includes the endurance portion of practices and skate coaching if desired, access to merch at cost, and admittance to all league functions.   So the issue of people coming for the good stuff and not pulling their weight is definitely present, just like it is for skaters and refs.

I have an open door policy with experienced NSOs who just want to work bouts, and that has been written into the bylaws.  They are always welcome.  However being that we are a spanking new league, we're still working on forming those relationships.

Offline Two Bit Score

• Stats Sheet: 7
  • These Things Happen
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2012, 06:45:59 pm »

My first thoughts on this policy are that it's a little harsh for volunteers and it's all negative reinforcement.
THIS, and basically the rest of what SeerSin said.  
If I don't make practices, I don't expect to get staffed. If I don't know how to do a job, I don't expect to get staffed to do that job in a live bout.  It's next to impossible to teach adults integrity, responsibility, and dependability, and as they are volunteers, it's going to be pointless to try and use 'punishments' on them.

Focus on rewarding, encouraging, motivating, and retaining those that do a good job. Focus on training those that are trying to do a good job, but aren't there yet.  
Any night when I can pull up the covers and say "I am a better ref right now than I was when I woke up," is a good day.
Omnia praesumuntur legitime facta donec probetur in contrarium.

Offline SeerSin

• Stats Sheet: 55
  • League Affiliation: Minnesota Rollergirls
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2012, 07:41:25 pm »
You're always going to have some unreliable people coming around. If people are just hanging around practice taking advantage of skating time or turning it into a social event just ask them to leave. A strict attendance policy won't fix that problem, it only hurts the dedicated ones you want to keep around. We've had several instances of non-serious officials taking up space and getting in the way only to bail on game day. They were told to step it up or leave. They all chose to leave. Having a strict attendance policy would have made it far more difficult for our dedicated officials to participate while doing nothing to sway the lazy ones.

Featured Product

Zebra Huddle Head Referee Bout Booklet

Featured Classifieds

ZH Files

How to Score a Point in Roller Derby
Rating: *****
Downloads: 3267
Views: 5268
Filesize: 327.61KB
Date: January 17, 2017, 04:21:03 am
Comments (0)
By: AdamSmasher
June 2013 Ruleset situational questions
Downloads: 2365
Views: 4876
Filesize: 29.71KB
Date: February 07, 2014, 04:57:32 pm
Comments (2)
By: Crash Test Ref
Rules Q&A and Publications for 6/15/13 Document
Rating: (None)
Downloads: 2527
Views: 5442
Filesize: 26.27KB
Date: August 02, 2013, 04:10:40 pm
Comments (0)
By: Shaun Ketterman
Rules Q&A and Publications for 1/1/13 Document (4/24/13 Updates)
Downloads: 3300
Views: 5425
Filesize: 28.07KB
Date: April 25, 2013, 05:45:34 pm
Comments (0)
By: Shaun Ketterman