Re: "Pincer" blocks = multipayer? by Bluebeard
July 11, 2019, 06:30:49 pm

"Pincer" blocks = multipayer? by Rego_Derby
July 11, 2019, 01:08:36 am

Re: Jammer Scoring Theory by Major Wood
June 26, 2019, 09:59:33 pm

Jammer Scoring Theory by Rego_Derby
June 25, 2019, 04:30:03 am

Re: Clamping down with the upper arm by bmd (2113)
June 12, 2019, 07:54:29 pm

Re: Ref facepaint by Major Wood
June 12, 2019, 04:16:34 pm

Re: Ref facepaint by Rego_Derby
June 11, 2019, 11:35:08 pm

Re: Ref facepaint by Axis of Stevil
June 10, 2019, 06:56:10 pm

Author Topic: Jam timing tips  (Read 7416 times)

Offline CircuitBroad

• Stats Sheet: 0
Jam timing tips
« on: May 29, 2012, 08:03:26 pm »
So I'm going to be jam timing at Brewhaha this weekend, and it's the first time I've ever jam timed a bout.  I've jam timed at scrimmage a bunch, but it's different than a bout.  For one I don't have to keep a backup period clock at scrimmage, and that's the main thing that's got me nervous.

So, I have a question - After a timeout how do you manage to put your hand up at 5 seconds and then start the jam clock AND backup period stopwatches at 0, blow the whistle, and put your arm down all at the same time?  I only have 2 hands, how I can operate 2 stopwatches, a whistle, and give a visual cue that I've started the jam all at the same time?

Also, all jam timing tips are welcome!

Thanks!
CB

Offline reflmao

• Stats Sheet: 21
Re: Jam timing tips
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2012, 08:28:27 pm »
I've jam timed at scrimmage a bunch, but it's different than a bout.  For one I don't have to keep a backup period clock at scrimmage, and that's the main thing that's got me nervous.
You said it yourself.  You don't have keep the back up period clock during a scrimmage.  But nothing prevents you from doing it either.  General rule: If it's something you expect to do during a bout, practice that way.   

I only have 2 hands, how I can operate 2 stopwatches, a whistle, and give a visual cue that I've started the jam all at the same time?

Whistle in mouth.  One stop watch in each hand.  One of those hand is giving the signal.   It's not as bad as simultaneously patting your head and rubbing your tummy.

As for other general advice, the best I know is all here: http://www.zebrahuddle.com/index.php?action=downloads;sa=view;down=26
RCRD, Rochester, NY

Offline SilkenTofu

• NSO
  • Stats Sheet: 4
  • League Affiliation: Bleeding Heartland Rollergirls
  • Referee Certification Level: Not Certified
  • NSO Certification Level: Level 5
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2012, 08:45:20 pm »
I have it down to a science, but it's not something I can really explain in text (especially while I'm on the phone at Job #1).  I manage to do both stopwatches in one hand, so that my five fingers are visible for the five second warning, per the Standard Practices document (and so I don't accidentally throw a stopwatch at the track!).

;)

If you snag me after the meeting on Friday, I can explain it to you.
Bloomington, IN
WFTDA Level 5 Certified NSO
WFTDA Clinic Instructor, WFTDA Officials Committee member
MRDA Certification Committee

Offline ShoNuff

• Stats Sheet: 29
  • League Affiliation: Mad Rollin' Dolls
  • NSO Certification Level: Level 4
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2012, 09:25:27 pm »
It's not as bad as that most of the time.

The period clock doesn't stop unless there is a timeout so most of the time you don't have to start that clock as the jam starts.

When I have to start both at once I put the two watches on top of each other so that I can push both start buttons with my thumb and I hold the whistle between my index and middle finger.

After I signal 5 seconds I put the whistle in my mouth, I haven't gotten good at comprehensible talking around the whistle, and then as I signal jam start I start both watches with my thumb.  Each knuckle of the thumb starts one of them.

To hold the watches I have my palm face up and hold the watches with my pinky, ring finger and thumb.  The pinky and ring finger make sure the lower watch is firmly against the lower part of the thumb where I have less dexterity.  Then my index and middle finger hold the whistle between them.

Although I have the opposite situation you do.  We have a big enough crew that we use a period timer in bouts so the jam timer only needs to keep the backup period clock in scrimmage.

Offline SmackTavish

• Stats Sheet: 1
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2012, 04:27:20 pm »
I saw Potomac Ripper do this about 10 days ago, and I get to repeat his feat this Sunday at the same venue. (For the record, for our league, the bout clock is the Carolina Scoreboard. Our Scoreboard dude, Keyesboard, also jam times at scrims so he is ON IT.)

Potomac had one stopwatch in each hand, and held the one in his raised hand at a low enough profile that his fingers were visible. I don't remember how he did his whistle, but I do remember the official timeouts to change the visible clock.

When I jam time, I give the 5-second warning with my open hand, and use the stopwatch had for putting my whistle in my mouth.

Now here's my question, related to the topic:
How often do I call an official timeout to update the visible clock? Is it like Potomac, who updated it at least 6 times during the bout, or do I do it like soccer/football, and update the clock only near the end of the period? I don't want to waste time/official timeouts unless necessary.
--SmackTavish

Brandywine Roller Girls Head NSO

Offline The Gorram Reaver

• Referee
  • Stats Sheet: 60
  • Referee Certification Level: Level 2
  • NSO Certification Level: Not Certified
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2012, 05:25:06 pm »
How often do I call an official timeout to update the visible clock? Is it like Potomac, who updated it at least 6 times during the bout, or do I do it like soccer/football, and update the clock only near the end of the period? I don't want to waste time/official timeouts unless necessary.

Talk with the bout Head Ref & find out what they would like you to do regarding updating the visible clock.
The Gorram Reaver
Mad Rollin' Dolls, Madison, WI

Offline SmackTavish

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2012, 05:08:25 pm »
Talk with the bout Head Ref & find out what they would like you to do regarding updating the visible clock.

Gosh, that anwer was too obvious for me. Dunno why I didn't think of that. Guess I was assuming there'd be a standard practice. Thank you!
--SmackTavish

Offline SmackTavish

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2012, 05:01:44 am »
The head NSO for that bout recommended I update the clock when it was more than 30 seconds off. There were enough team TOs and official TOs that the scoreboard person came over to ask the correct time as well.
--SmackTavish

Offline Insane Troll Logic

• League Affiliation: Atlanta Rollergirls
  • NSO Certification Level: Level 2
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2012, 11:38:42 am »
My personal rule is to correct the clock if its off by more than two seconds or if it's the last three minutes of a period.
Breakin' rocks in the hot sun...

Offline DocSkinner

• Stats Sheet: 2
  • League Affiliation: Kansas City Roller Warriors
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2012, 12:51:02 am »
I'm a little late to the party on this thread (and this board -- this is my first post). 

When I jam time, I use my stopwatch only as a backup to the official scoreboard. Unless the two are way off (more than 3 seconds or so), I'll go by the scoreboard to time the 30 seconds between jams. So I have my whistle in my right hand and my left hand giving the five-second signal. There is no need to reset my stopwatch when the jam starts. I just let it run and know that the jam ends at 2:30, not 2:00. I reset it at the end of a jam.

Offline Samuel Bergus

• Stats Sheet: 0
  • League Affiliation: Old Capitol City Roller Girls
  • NSO Certification Level: Level 3
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2012, 03:24:44 am »
When I jam time, I use my stopwatch only as a backup to the official scoreboard. Unless the two are way off (more than 3 seconds or so), I'll go by the scoreboard to time the 30 seconds between jams. So I have my whistle in my right hand and my left hand giving the five-second signal. There is no need to reset my stopwatch when the jam starts. I just let it run and know that the jam ends at 2:30, not 2:00. I reset it at the end of a jam.

I've actually come around to this method as well (as long as your score board operator is dependable). I think it makes more sense to use the clock which is visible to everyone in the venue as the main clock, and use the clock which is only visible to one person as the backup, not the other way around.

Offline DocSkinner

• League Affiliation: Kansas City Roller Warriors
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2012, 06:00:47 pm »
According to

[rule]2.8.2.4 - The official period clock must be highly visible to referees, teams and fans.[/rule]
[rule]2.8.3.3 - The official jam clock must be highly visible to referees, teams and fans.[/rule]

the scoreboard timer (or other highly visible timer if your scoreboard is basic) should be your official clock, with the jam timer's stopwatch as backup.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2012, 07:24:59 pm by DocSkinner »

Offline ShoNuff

• Stats Sheet: 29
  • NSO Certification Level: Level 4
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2012, 12:37:44 am »
The visible clock is the official clock.

However, it is not unusual for it to be the case that the jam timer is in a better position to accurately start and stop their clock and as a result the jam timer's clock is often more accurate than the official clock.  As a result, the official clock usually bows to the backup when there is a disagreement between the clocks.

Offline bjmacke

• League Affiliation: Minnesota RollerGirls
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2012, 01:10:57 am »
Another way to look at it is that the clock is the ultimate responsibility of the jam timer and everything they do with clocks and stopwatches is an effort to keep the official clock in sync with an absolute reference of the game's times. They can do this by either keeping a personal clock that the visible clock slavishly follows, or they rely on the visible clock's accuracy with a cautionary backup for when those "that never happens" incidents happen.
also known as Apron, if you didn't know already.

Featured Product

Zebra Huddle Head Referee Bout Booklet

Featured Classifieds

ZH Files

How to Score a Point in Roller Derby
Rating: *****
Downloads: 3265
Views: 5265
Filesize: 327.61KB
Date: January 17, 2017, 04:21:03 am
Comments (0)
By: AdamSmasher
June 2013 Ruleset situational questions
Downloads: 2363
Views: 4875
Filesize: 29.71KB
Date: February 07, 2014, 04:57:32 pm
Comments (2)
By: Crash Test Ref
Rules Q&A and Publications for 6/15/13 Document
Rating: (None)
Downloads: 2527
Views: 5439
Filesize: 26.27KB
Date: August 02, 2013, 04:10:40 pm
Comments (0)
By: Shaun Ketterman
Rules Q&A and Publications for 1/1/13 Document (4/24/13 Updates)
Downloads: 3299
Views: 5424
Filesize: 28.07KB
Date: April 25, 2013, 05:45:34 pm
Comments (0)
By: Shaun Ketterman