Re: Rule clarification by Bluebeard
January 17, 2020, 05:26:46 am

Rule clarification by 3Beers
December 28, 2019, 06:04:00 pm

Re: Resources for new referees. by Destructor
November 29, 2019, 01:13:40 pm

Resources for new referees. by Destructor
November 26, 2019, 06:01:48 pm

Author Topic: 2013 Officials Conference planning  (Read 9150 times)

Offline The Gorram Reaver

• Referee
  • Stats Sheet: 60
  • League Affiliation: Mad Rollin' Dolls
  • Referee Certification Level: Level 2
  • NSO Certification Level: Not Certified
Re: 2013 Officials Conference planning
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2012, 08:35:56 pm »
I would be happy to speak more about the ideas to you though PM or a phone call. In fact i would invite more conversation from you as a Level 4 offical

You might be able to generate more support & enthusiasm if you discussed ideas openly with the entire group on this message board, rather than collecting ideas from individuals via a survey and not sharing what those ideas are, or discussing issues via private message with a select few individuals.

This is a community.  You came to the community with vague promises and a way to collect a bunch of peoples ideas/comments and keep them all to yourself, which is directly in conflict with the spirit of open discussion & collaboration this forum represents.  You also want to discuss ideas more in depth with people via private messages or telephone, again, something that doesn't contribute to the community at large, but serves your own purposes with little payback for anyone else.

Open discussion and a sharing of ideas is the best way to generate enthusiasm and support.   Right now, I feel like you're trying to use us, so I'm going to keep my ideas to myself or contribute them in discussions that are being conducted openly as a collaborative efforts to find ways to improve officiating as a community.
The Gorram Reaver
Mad Rollin' Dolls, Madison, WI

Offline Riff Reff

• Superhero Member
  • Stats Sheet: 30
  • League Affiliation: Dublin Roller Derby
  • Referee Certification Level: Not Certified
« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2012, 05:56:37 pm »
Suspicion is reasonable. But being a little open minded can't hurt. Why does everyone always suspect that there is someone trying to take something away from you. I would welcome a conference/convention/whateverthismayturninto as long as it's from the officials for the officials. What is wrong with a little brainstorming about what we as a community would like to have and of course maybe pay money for. Even if Mattrrr had only commercial interest (which I doubt) you do not lose anything by sharing your thoughts and maybe make something better instead of being at the sideline and shouting "bad call there".
I understand that Mattrrr just asked "hey what do you guys would think about having an officials conference?"
It's like that scoreboard thread. Instead of bashing it, why not use the chance to say what would make you interested in such an event/product. If you simply dislike the idea, to be frank, then do not share.
Or ask the moderator to remove the thread because you suspect advertising. But then we'd also need to get rid of the gear section.
Don't look at the game with rules-tinted glasses; look at the rules with game-tinted glasses!

Offline Pol E. Dangerous

• Stats Sheet: 2
« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2012, 11:25:35 pm »
Since I was the first to reply, I'd like to comment.  I did not mean to make it seem like negative message.  I am thinking about where I want to go in 2013, and I want to know, should I be budgeting time/money for this Toronto clinic.  The questions I asked were for me, just as much as anyone else.  I am intrigued, but would want more info.
Carolina Rollergirls
Level 2 Certified Referee

Offline Mattrrr

• Stats Sheet: 0
  • League Affiliation: International Derby Officials' Organization
  • Referee Certification Level: Not Certified
« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2012, 11:34:57 pm »
Thank you Riff Ref.

Trust me, the size and activities that are being considered i would be happy to break evan. And besides, If there was profit to be had it would most likely be donated to worthy charity. Not in to it for profit.
MattRRR
Independent Ref

Offline HIM-roid

• Stats Sheet: 14
  • League Affiliation: Mississippi Rollergirls
« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2012, 04:15:10 am »
I will speak openly about your proposal. This is a WFTDA Rules Set forum, so I could really care less about any other rulesets. As for key notes with "people who matter", are you bringing in the WFTDA BOD and all the Committee Heads? Afterall, they are the ones who matter and what about ALL of the Skater Reps from every WFTDA League. Afterall, this sport is for the skaters, by the skaters. Debates about rulesets and so on. What are we debating? The rules themselves or what the intention of them are or how are they to be called? Talks and discussion panels from High Ranking members. High ranking how? President, Rules Comm, Games Pillar, Certified Refs? What organization are they high ranking in? USARS, WFTDA, OSDA, ARROW, etc??  Everything that you seem to be bringing up is covered in the WFTDA Officiating Clinics. Maybe I am being skeptical and I am sure I will get dinged in my rankings, but I am a big boy and those really don't mean that much to me if I am dinged because of this. In my opinion, this seems like a USARS guided conference. As Reaver stated, being transparent will get you further. I guess the skepticism is big since USARS has stated they intend to be the way to the Olympics with no regards to WFTDA. This is my personal take on this. I feel if you want to get support on this, post some of the items that people have told you that they want to know to be transparent.
HIM-roid
WFTDA Apprentice Officials Area Coordinator
Head of Officiating
Mississippi Rollergirls
WFTDA-Certified Referee, Level 2
WFTDA Officials Apprentice Program Area Coordinator

Featured Product

Zebra Huddle Head Referee Bout Booklet

Featured Classifieds

ZH Files

How to Score a Point in Roller Derby
Rating: *****
Downloads: 4463
Views: 7511
Filesize: 327.61KB
Date: January 17, 2017, 04:21:03 am
Comments (0)
By: AdamSmasher
June 2013 Ruleset situational questions
Downloads: 2977
Views: 6087
Filesize: 29.71KB
Date: February 07, 2014, 04:57:32 pm
Comments (2)
By: Crash Test Ref
Rules Q&A and Publications for 6/15/13 Document
Rating: (None)
Downloads: 3182
Views: 7011
Filesize: 26.27KB
Date: August 02, 2013, 04:10:40 pm
Comments (0)
By: Shaun Ketterman
Rules Q&A and Publications for 1/1/13 Document (4/24/13 Updates)
Downloads: 3990
Views: 9035
Filesize: 28.07KB
Date: April 25, 2013, 05:45:34 pm
Comments (0)
By: Shaun Ketterman