Re: "Pincer" blocks = multipayer? by Bluebeard
July 11, 2019, 06:30:49 pm

"Pincer" blocks = multipayer? by Rego_Derby
July 11, 2019, 01:08:36 am

Re: Jammer Scoring Theory by Major Wood
June 26, 2019, 09:59:33 pm

Jammer Scoring Theory by Rego_Derby
June 25, 2019, 04:30:03 am

Re: Clamping down with the upper arm by bmd (2113)
June 12, 2019, 07:54:29 pm

Re: Ref facepaint by Major Wood
June 12, 2019, 04:16:34 pm

Re: Ref facepaint by Rego_Derby
June 11, 2019, 11:35:08 pm

Author Topic: NSO Membership Termination  (Read 11109 times)

Offline Darkjester

• Has Too Much Damn Time Member
  • Stats Sheet: 39
  • "When in doubt, RTFM"
  • League Affiliation: Beach Brawl SK8R Dolls
  • Referee Certification Level: Not Certified
  • NSO Certification Level: Not Certified
Re: NSO Membership Termination
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2012, 01:24:02 pm »
^  This

Its difficult enough to find interested volunteers who only want to NSO let alone those who will do so under threat of dismissal.

I'm lucky if I have people who've nso'd before come up to me and say "Hey, do you need XXXX?"
Let alone having people who are consistently at practice learning those positions. You can put in the same requirements/guidelines for NSO's as your Skating Officials, but I would keep them more "Expected" than demanded.

For example:
1) NSOs Should be available for Home Bouts and some Travel if possible. If you are unavailable to staff a Home Bout please let the Head NSO/Head Referee know in writing as soon as possible.  Failure to be available on a regular basis may limit your usage in future bouts.
2)To be experienced NSO's should attend practice on the same schedule as the Skating Officials (Insert requirements). This will allow for training on the various positions and nuances as well as familiarity with working with other league officials. Failure to meet attendance requirements may limit your usage in bouts.
3) NSOs can expect to be trained in all NSO positions they are physically capable of fulfilling. The more knowledgeable you are as a NSO the better chance you have of being staffed for a bout. Note:The HEad Ref/Head NSO is responsible for assigning positions, your desired or interested position will be taken into consideration however bout requirements do come first.

The Folloing May be grounds for removal from bout roster, or placement on probationary status depending on frequency and/or severity of infraction. This list is a guideline and subject to change.:
1)Not informing Head Ref/Head NSO of inability to work a home bout with the required notice (barring emergency).
2) Failure to make attendance for a month.
3) Failure to inform Head Ref/Head NSO of a known absence.
4) Refusal to work/learn a certain position or a consistently bad/disruptive attitude towards working non-preferred position.
5)Use of Intoxicants prior or during a bout.
6)Wagering on the outcome of a bout one is working.
7)Disrespectful attitude/Treatment towards Other Officials, Skaters, League Personnel.
Madness Tolls
69¢
Beach Brawl Sk8R Dolls
Fort Walton Beach FL

Offline molotovmuffin

• Stats Sheet: 0
  • League Affiliation: WKRR
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2012, 07:12:57 pm »
Thanks for all the feedback.  Refs who chronically don't make attendance are subject to penalties including and up to being dropped from the league, just like skaters.

Regarding the attendance policy, I do agree that it may be a little too demanding. However, I still have the concern that people may be so erratic/unreliable that they can never be staffed for bouts and are a distraction at practice more than a help.   And (yes I know this is a sticking point because I see it mentioned a lot) NSO positions require skill and practice and the formation of team relationships just like any other derby position - people need to be at practice for that to happen, and for me to be able to assess whether or not they are ready.  I think there is a way to strike a balance but I need to think on it a little more - the probationary period is a good idea; it would differ from other memberships being that for refs and skaters the probationary period is at the beginning of membership and standards rise from there.

Our NSO membership includes the endurance portion of practices and skate coaching if desired, access to merch at cost, and admittance to all league functions.   So the issue of people coming for the good stuff and not pulling their weight is definitely present, just like it is for skaters and refs.

I have an open door policy with experienced NSOs who just want to work bouts, and that has been written into the bylaws.  They are always welcome.  However being that we are a spanking new league, we're still working on forming those relationships.
This.

For small leagues, getting NSO's much less refs is hard. Keeping them is even harder.  Make it worth their while to volunteer and reap the rewards. I think offering them the endurance portion of practice is a novel idea and one I hope we can incorporate into ours.

Offline Skynny Lynny

« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2012, 03:41:43 am »
I have to agree with molotovmuffin.

I've been an NSO with my league for a little over a year and have recently had to step in and act as our league's head NSO. Most of the times we use retired/former skaters to assist as NSO's during bouts due to a lack of NSO's.

In my opinion, if you have enough NSO's to consider implementing an attendance policy, that's a good problem to have.

With my league, we have stages of membership for NSO's just like the skaters do, i.e. New Recruit, Fresh Meat, and Skater. It takes 4 months of attendance and work 2 bouts to be considered a league member. Being a league member entitles them to access to our message board and attend league meetings. It's my feeling that people who want to be an NSO, do so because they love derby and want to be a part of it. I say that you should find a way for your league to reward good behavior rather than alienate potential help by reprimanding for minor penalties like scrimmage attendance.

If a person is competent, reliable, and willing, reward them. The rest will fall to the side and chances are, you wouldn't want to keep them anyway.

My Thoughts

Offline Megan Waves

« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2012, 02:08:37 am »
OMG you just recited my circumstances exactly.  I want to get away from using skaters as NSOs and get a stable well trained crew.  I looking for ways to award and I am think, like you, some kind of hierarchy, apprentice, staff, lead, for example might work. 

Also I am trying to get some LEGITIMACY behind the group by establishing an application process, code of conduct,  training programs, and attendance requirements.

My league is worried if I do that I will lose volunteers.  I was trying to point out that we have no volunteers our NSOs are all skaters.  We lost our volunteers already. I am think if we bring up the standards and rewards and recognize, we may get them back and be able to attract more.  If we continue to treat it like we can just grab anyone out of the crowd at the last minute, who would really want to waste their time.  But if we show them that we value their skill, that's different.

Am I fooling myself?

Offline Noah Tall

• Stats Sheet: 25
« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2012, 03:59:56 am »
WFTDA Ref Rep
WFTDA AP Area Coordinator
Arkansas

"We may not be skilled, but at least we're impartial!"

Offline Darkjester

• Has Too Much Damn Time Member
  • Stats Sheet: 39
  • "When in doubt, RTFM"
  • League Affiliation: Beach Brawl SK8R Dolls
« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2012, 02:32:23 pm »
In some area's its difficult. Other areas seem to have to TURN DOWN NSO's.

Hopefully your problem becomes the latter rather than the former :)
Madness Tolls
69¢
Beach Brawl Sk8R Dolls
Fort Walton Beach FL

Offline Samuel Bergus

• League Affiliation: Old Capitol City Roller Girls
  • NSO Certification Level: Level 3
« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2012, 02:38:54 pm »
A someone who regularly NSOs, I really like the direction this conversation is going.

I NSO because it is something I enjoy doing, not because my league has an attendance policy.

I know that if I am willing to attend practices, I can become a better NSO by practicing the positions I know how to do, as well as learn new roles. I know that if I demonstrate a commitment, and competence, to the league's officials, I will get perks, like going on road trips, or being thought of when other leagues approach them trying to find NSOs to staff a bout.

I think if you treat your NSOs well, acknowledge and appreciate the time they commit, you shouldn't have a problem keeping them around.

Offline Arithmetrix

• League Affiliation: Hartford Area Roller Derby
« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2012, 08:44:23 pm »
"Also I am trying to get some LEGITIMACY behind the group by establishing an application process, code of conduct,  training programs, and attendance requirements."

Exactly my point of view and where I was going with this.

Unfortunately, it really has shook out this season that our best, most dedicated NSOs are also skaters.  In fact, I was asked last week to transfer my Head NSO duties elsewhere because I am overcommitted and the name that first popped to mind was a skater.  I then ran through every NSO member in my head and, no, no one I can rely on. The NSO members have had erratic attendance and generally a pretty shaky connection to the league, which has been disappointing.  We have not gotten around to clarifying the member terms, and I think that is part of the issue - clear expectations are necessary IMO.

We are more than fine for this season because we have a really awesome group of skaters who are not on track to bout since our season ends in early October but are very invested in the league, but I hope that the NSO corps does take off.

Offline SmackTavish

• Stats Sheet: 1
« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2012, 03:29:30 pm »
Sorry I'm late to the party on this one. Our league (not a WFTDA apprentice) is still under two years old and we are implementing a Code of Conduct for the refs and NSOs. We've been updating and correcting as the year goes along, and as scenarios we didn't plan for arise.

Generally, the NSOs need to be at half the scrims before a bout. (We bout once a month; we scrim once a week, therefore, NSOs need to come twice a month.) We added a line about special dispensation from the NSO leadership (we have a Head NSO, a VP, and a speaker of the house) if that person has deomstrated excellent ability in their role but just had a busy schedule that month.

Case in point, Shady is a busy family mom. After getting injured last year, she stepped away from skating permanently but did penalty box for us at scrims and bouts last year. She's really good. As a busy mom, she can't make scrims this year, but has done PB for us twice at bouts.

If I needed a scorekeeper, however, and Shady's the last person available and she can't make at least 2 scrims to learn that role, I would adjust the roster to have her in the PB and either train a new scorekeeper or or have a capable scorekeeper move to that role.

We also have skaters fill in at NSO roles. Those skaters are obviously at scrims, but they are not learning the NSO roles. Again, they need to demonstrate capability (at at least one scrim or as an NSO for a neighboring league) to get that slot.

Admittedly, one of the reasons we don't have mandatory attendance at our scrims is because I have 3 scrim dates a year which I cannot attend for work. My VP likewise has work issues once in a while. I won't prevent her, the best PB Manager any non-WFTDA league has (IMHO), from working a bout.

I do like your requirement to learn new positions for the NSOs. However, as had been mentioned in this thread by others, we have one person who is hard of hearing, and she could never do the OWB, IWB, penalty tracker, or penalty wrangler. We have 3 skaters who are recovering from leg injuries. They are not nimble enough to do anything other than lineup tracking or scorekeeping.
--SmackTavish

Brandywine Roller Girls Head NSO

Featured Product

Zebra Huddle Head Referee Bout Booklet

Featured Classifieds

ZH Files

How to Score a Point in Roller Derby
Rating: *****
Downloads: 3539
Views: 6334
Filesize: 327.61KB
Date: January 17, 2017, 04:21:03 am
Comments (0)
By: AdamSmasher
June 2013 Ruleset situational questions
Downloads: 2512
Views: 5196
Filesize: 29.71KB
Date: February 07, 2014, 04:57:32 pm
Comments (2)
By: Crash Test Ref
Rules Q&A and Publications for 6/15/13 Document
Rating: (None)
Downloads: 2703
Views: 5798
Filesize: 26.27KB
Date: August 02, 2013, 04:10:40 pm
Comments (0)
By: Shaun Ketterman
Rules Q&A and Publications for 1/1/13 Document (4/24/13 Updates)
Downloads: 3491
Views: 5785
Filesize: 28.07KB
Date: April 25, 2013, 05:45:34 pm
Comments (0)
By: Shaun Ketterman