Re: "Pincer" blocks = multipayer? by Bluebeard
July 11, 2019, 06:30:49 pm

"Pincer" blocks = multipayer? by Rego_Derby
July 11, 2019, 01:08:36 am

Re: Jammer Scoring Theory by Major Wood
June 26, 2019, 09:59:33 pm

Jammer Scoring Theory by Rego_Derby
June 25, 2019, 04:30:03 am

Author Topic: NSO handbook  (Read 5124 times)

Offline Mountie

• Stats Sheet: 0
NSO handbook
« on: August 24, 2012, 10:42:27 am »
I have recently uploaded the new Crime City Rollers NSO handbook (in the ZH files).  Obviously this is for the currently used rule set and a new one will come out once we have the new rules and worked out the tips and tricks.  All the fame should go to OffTrack our super Head NSO, I am just uploading it for him.

Feel free to use it and let us know if you see any errors or have any suggestions!

Cheers,
Mighty Mountie

Offline Insane Troll Logic

• Stats Sheet: 1
  • League Affiliation: Atlanta Rollergirls
  • Referee Certification Level: Not Certified
  • NSO Certification Level: Level 2
Re: NSO handbook
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2012, 12:07:49 pm »
Please don't make your jam timers fill out paperwork. Personally, I'm of the school that jam timers can and should be doing a lot more than staring at the clock. But filling out paperwork doesn't help anyone.
Breakin' rocks in the hot sun...

Offline SilkenTofu

• NSO
  • Stats Sheet: 4
  • League Affiliation: Bleeding Heartland Rollergirls
  • NSO Certification Level: Level 5
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2012, 02:17:23 pm »
Please don't make your jam timers fill out paperwork.

I could not possibly agree more.  Picture a Facebook-style thumbs-up "like" logo here.  I'm too lazy to find one and make it happen.  ;)
Bloomington, IN
WFTDA Level 5 Certified NSO
WFTDA Clinic Instructor, WFTDA Officials Committee member
MRDA Certification Committee

Offline Kent C. Forshette

• League Affiliation: Cedar Rapids RollerGirls
  • Referee Certification Level: Level 2
  • NSO Certification Level: Not Certified
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2012, 02:37:41 pm »
Nice looking manual!

Feel free to use it and let us know if you see any errors or have any suggestions!

Page 14, the list of Illegal Procedures should also include "Improper Uniform".
Also, Fighting is still listed?

Page 26, one sentence is a little unclear, and perhaps should say,
. . . in theory there can be four blockers from one team in the penalty box at once.
I'll let my NSO coordinator take a closer look at it.

EDIT: Thanks, Eject!
« Last Edit: September 07, 2012, 02:48:10 pm by Kent C. Forshette »
Kent C. Forshette
Cedar Rapids RollerGirls
Ref Coord and WFTDA officials rep

Offline Eject You Later

• Stats Sheet: 24
  • League Affiliation: Old Capitol City Roller Girls
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2012, 03:23:16 pm »
Page 26, one sentence is a little unclear, and perhaps should say,
. . . in theory there can be four blockers from one team in the penalty box at once.

Actually, no, that is incorrect.  There can never be 4 blockers from 1 team in the penalty box.  At most there can only ever be 3.  Why?  Because of 7.3.2.2.2:

[rule]7.3.2.2.2 In order to form a pack, a team must have at least one Blocker on
the track at all times. If there is only one Blocker from a given
team, that skater will not be sent to the penalty box -- even if the
penalty box cap has not been reached -- until another Blocker
returns to the track and has joined the pack.[/rule]

Never, ever, ever send the last blocker from one team to the box.  Therefore, there can never be more than 3 blockers per team in the penalty box (2 seated, 1 standing or 2 standing and 1 seated) or a total of 6 blockers in the box.

Whatever the manual meant to say, it isn't correct.

An additional error:

When a blocker from your designated team is approaching the box, clearly point her to her seat to avoid her ending up in the jammer’s seat or on the opposing team’s side. If she sits down in the wrong seat, ask her to move before starting the penalty timer.

This is not correct.  The rule states:

[rule]7.3.3 The penalty clock starts when the skater is seated in the penalty box (with exceptions
noted in Section 7.3.2.3). The penalty clock only runs when the jam clock is running. If a
penalty spans multiple jams, the penalty clock will stop between jams.[/rule]

Her time starts when she is seated in the penalty box.  Period.  Designating which chair she should sit in is something that helps us identify the players in the box.  But sitting in the wrong chair is not sufficient to stop the penalty from being timed.  Start her time, as the rule requires, and then ask her to move to a different chair.
Eject You Later - Referee
Old Capitol City Roller Girls of Coralville, IA
WFTDA Member League
Zebra Huddle Referee Verifier

Offline Mountie

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2012, 03:04:20 pm »
Thanks very much for all your replies!

I will pass them on to Off Track.

Offline Wheels Bohr

• Stats Sheet: 4
  • One who has made all the mistakes is an expert.
  • League Affiliation: Tallahassee RollerGirls
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2012, 05:36:23 pm »
Thanks for putting this together, it looks like a great resource! I have a couple suggestions:
  • The inside whiteboard description is not standard. Anywhere I've ref'd has it setup to show all penalties for all skaters. So the layout would look like what is shown in the ROC city manual. The one you show looks more useful for a penalty wrangler.
  • On page 25 skaters regarding skaters leaving the box early, add that when they return they will serve the remaining time in addition to the extra penalty minute.
  • For score trackers you should ask that they sum each column vertically and write it down at the bottom after each half. Then add the bottom boxes as an independent check of the right hand column. I think this is a major source of score errors when trackers only rely on the horizontal check. Also I'd remove the part about checking the other scorekeeper "if you have time". I think it's important enough that there should always be time.
The penalty box paperwork is different then the way I was taught but it could probably warrant a thread on it's own. Thanks again for sharing!
Wheels Bohr
Tallahassee RollerGirls

Offline ShoNuff

• Stats Sheet: 29
  • League Affiliation: Mad Rollin' Dolls
  • NSO Certification Level: Level 4
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2012, 12:15:14 am »
A lot of good things in here but I did have a few comments.

Right now the guide looks to be very specific for your league.  Which isn't surprising since that's who it is written for and a lot of the comments I'm about to make and am seeing being made are efforts to make it more general.

WFTDA does have standards for many of the NSO positions and they are included in the standard practices document on the WFTDA web site.

http://wftda.com/rules/wftda-officiating-standardized-practices.pdf

They are only specifically required for tournament play but a lot of leagues use them as more generalized standards.

A mention of how to call out numbers might be good.  The convention is to verbalize character by character.  So 99 is nine, nine and not ninety nine.

You might want to stress the importance of pre-bout discussions. 

The jam timer in particular should have a mention of the need to talk with the head ref before the bout to coordinate how they want to handle calling of time outs, who can call them, how they want jam starts handled if the head ref appears to be busy, do they want to be reminded periodically about how long official time outs have been running, etc.   The jam timer is in many ways a direct assistant to the head ref and it's important that they get to know how the head ref handles the procedures for which there are no standard practices.  If you have guest head refs or your jam timers travel they'll encounter a pretty wide variety of procedures used by different head refs.

I would strongly recommend against the inside whiteboard operator using a verbal cue to direct a skater in the penalty que off the track. 

The skater is free to ignore a direction to report to the box from anyone other than a referee.  They can choose to accept the request from an NSO but the rules centralize the authority to actually require them to report to the box to referees to keep already complex communications from being even more complicated.  Having the inside whiteboard verbally give that direction will possibly result in the IPRs not doing so since they'll hear the command already being given.  Stick with visuals like the penalty box manager having a whiteboard which lets the skater know a seat is available as well as starting up the communication chain to have a referee direct them to the box.

Your penalty box staffing model is fairly atypical.  Most boxes run a staff of 3 where the jammer timer is the box manager. 

I would also recommend having your timers fill out the penalty box sheets.

One watch and paperwork really is a lot easier than two watches when you have a penalty heavy bout and are routinely having three blockers from one team in the box at once.  It's difficult to time three people on two watches but straightforward to use one watch and write down when skaters sit down so you have a record of when everyone arrived and when they should be directed to stand and when they should be released. 

In the people entering the box section it is legal for bench staff and skaters not in the jam to enter the box to hand a skater something or retrieve something from them.  The key is that they cannot communicate with a penalized skater while they are also in the box.  It's a safety rule, not a punitive rule.  The point is to keep people not involved in staffing the box or in the process of serving penalties from loitering in the box where crowding can create a dangerous environment. 

For standing.  Think of the requirement to stand not as opening the seat, but as a visual cue to the other officials that the skater has 10 seconds left in their penalty.  So if the timer is trying to decide if a skater's posture is standing or hovering they should have in mind that every other official should be able to look at the box and know that the skater is standing.  If their posture would make it hard to tell if they are standing from across the track, then they aren't standing.

I'd be careful of your phrasing in the jammer timer section about jammerless jams.  As there are a few specific scenarios, which you cover nicely, that do result in jammerless jams, I'd avoid saying they never happen.

Nice job on the document.

Featured Product

Zebra Huddle Head Referee Bout Booklet

Featured Classifieds

ZH Files

How to Score a Point in Roller Derby
Rating: *****
Downloads: 3968
Views: 6548
Filesize: 327.61KB
Date: January 17, 2017, 04:21:03 am
Comments (0)
By: AdamSmasher
June 2013 Ruleset situational questions
Downloads: 2580
Views: 5349
Filesize: 29.71KB
Date: February 07, 2014, 04:57:32 pm
Comments (2)
By: Crash Test Ref
Rules Q&A and Publications for 6/15/13 Document
Rating: (None)
Downloads: 2779
Views: 5984
Filesize: 26.27KB
Date: August 02, 2013, 04:10:40 pm
Comments (0)
By: Shaun Ketterman
Rules Q&A and Publications for 1/1/13 Document (4/24/13 Updates)
Downloads: 3574
Views: 5973
Filesize: 28.07KB
Date: April 25, 2013, 05:45:34 pm
Comments (0)
By: Shaun Ketterman