Re: "Pincer" blocks = multipayer? by Bluebeard
July 11, 2019, 06:30:49 pm

"Pincer" blocks = multipayer? by Rego_Derby
July 11, 2019, 01:08:36 am

Re: Jammer Scoring Theory by Major Wood
June 26, 2019, 09:59:33 pm

Jammer Scoring Theory by Rego_Derby
June 25, 2019, 04:30:03 am

Re: Clamping down with the upper arm by bmd (2113)
June 12, 2019, 07:54:29 pm

Re: Ref facepaint by Major Wood
June 12, 2019, 04:16:34 pm

Author Topic: "Willfully" language of 6.14.2  (Read 7793 times)

Offline hottrod

• Stats Sheet: 1
  • League Affiliation: Beckley Area Derby Dames
  • Referee Certification Level: Not Certified
  • NSO Certification Level: Not Certified
Re: "Willfully" language of 6.14.2
« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2012, 09:15:52 pm »
We have a skater in our area that is 100% deaf and we find ourselves having to skate out and tap her on the shoulder quite often when issuing a penalty. Makes it a little rough sometimes but I also believe this is fine and still fits into our responsibility to make sure she knows she has been penalized. The rules do plainly state that anything that is not sufficiently explained is at the refs discretion and in the spirit of good sportsmanship which definitely involves us too, the extra work for deaf skaters is just another variable we have to deal with and totally acceptable to me. I just cant see deeming a deaf skater unsafe since people with disabilities have uncanny ways of overcoming them and this certain one works very well with her pack using sight and touch.

Offline The Gorram Reaver

• Referee
  • Stats Sheet: 60
  • League Affiliation: Mad Rollin' Dolls
  • Referee Certification Level: Level 2
« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2012, 01:24:38 am »
We have a skater in our area that is 100% deaf and we find ourselves having to skate out and tap her on the shoulder quite often when issuing a penalty.

By "skate out" do you mean actually enter the track?  I have to strongly discourage that practice as the moment you enter the track you are interfering in the natural progress of game play.  No matter how cautious you are being, you are in a position where your very presence will cause interference because it will alter the behavior of the skaters and prevent them from playing the game in the ordinary manner.  This should be avoided at all costs.

I strongly recommend finding another way to indicate to a skater who is Deaf that she needs to leave the track.  The remote buzzer mentioned by HIM-roid a few days ago is one option.  Teammate assistance is another.  A strobe light signal similar to those used in swimming or track competitions is another.  Discussing the situation with the skater may be a good idea; she may have something that can be used at her disposal already that she would be willing to use for the purpose.
The Gorram Reaver
Mad Rollin' Dolls, Madison, WI

Offline HIM-roid

• Stats Sheet: 14
  • League Affiliation: Mississippi Rollergirls
  • Referee Certification Level: Level 2
« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2012, 01:39:19 am »
I will contact that league and see what info I can find out about the buzzer. I never thought about a light signal. Way to think outside the box Reaver.

OK, I found out what she used.Email me at himroid.ref@gmail.com Rod and I will tell you. Can't do it on here.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2012, 01:49:57 am by HIM-roid »
HIM-roid
WFTDA Apprentice Officials Area Coordinator
Head of Officiating
Mississippi Rollergirls
WFTDA-Certified Referee, Level 2
WFTDA Officials Apprentice Program Area Coordinator

Offline hottrod

• Stats Sheet: 1
  • League Affiliation: Beckley Area Derby Dames
  • Referee Certification Level: Not Certified
« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2012, 02:32:16 am »
I totally agree and believe me I would only enter after exhausting all other resources to no avail. For the most part she would see us and leave the track but a
couple times a bout you would have no choice. Haven't seen her skate several months so maybe she is using some kind of vibrating mechanism now.

Offline Frank Necrosis

• Stats Sheet: 0
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2013, 05:39:58 pm »
We have a skater in our area that is 100% deaf and we find ourselves having to skate out and tap her on the shoulder quite often when issuing a penalty. Makes it a little rough sometimes but I also believe this is fine and still fits into our responsibility to make sure she knows she has been penalized. The rules do plainly state that anything that is not sufficiently explained is at the refs discretion and in the spirit of good sportsmanship which definitely involves us too, the extra work for deaf skaters is just another variable we have to deal with and totally acceptable to me. I just cant see deeming a deaf skater unsafe since people with disabilities have uncanny ways of overcoming them and this certain one works very well with her pack using sight and touch.

I have reffed games involving this skater. While I was reffing, the team has did an excellent job communicating penalties to the skater. The  communication was so effective, most refs didn't even notice the skater's hearing impairment.

Featured Product

Zebra Huddle Head Referee Bout Booklet

Featured Classifieds

ZH Files

How to Score a Point in Roller Derby
Rating: *****
Downloads: 3936
Views: 6458
Filesize: 327.61KB
Date: January 17, 2017, 04:21:03 am
Comments (0)
By: AdamSmasher
June 2013 Ruleset situational questions
Downloads: 2557
Views: 5300
Filesize: 29.71KB
Date: February 07, 2014, 04:57:32 pm
Comments (2)
By: Crash Test Ref
Rules Q&A and Publications for 6/15/13 Document
Rating: (None)
Downloads: 2753
Views: 5912
Filesize: 26.27KB
Date: August 02, 2013, 04:10:40 pm
Comments (0)
By: Shaun Ketterman
Rules Q&A and Publications for 1/1/13 Document (4/24/13 Updates)
Downloads: 3549
Views: 5906
Filesize: 28.07KB
Date: April 25, 2013, 05:45:34 pm
Comments (0)
By: Shaun Ketterman