Re: "Pincer" blocks = multipayer? by Bluebeard
July 11, 2019, 06:30:49 pm

"Pincer" blocks = multipayer? by Rego_Derby
July 11, 2019, 01:08:36 am

Re: Jammer Scoring Theory by Major Wood
June 26, 2019, 09:59:33 pm

Jammer Scoring Theory by Rego_Derby
June 25, 2019, 04:30:03 am

Re: Clamping down with the upper arm by bmd (2113)
June 12, 2019, 07:54:29 pm

Re: Ref facepaint by Major Wood
June 12, 2019, 04:16:34 pm

Re: Ref facepaint by Rego_Derby
June 11, 2019, 11:35:08 pm

Re: Ref facepaint by Axis of Stevil
June 10, 2019, 06:56:10 pm

Author Topic: New Statistics Package?  (Read 2981 times)

Offline jmhgn

• Stats Sheet: 0
  • League Affiliation: Rubber City Roller Girls
  • Referee Certification Level: Not Certified
  • NSO Certification Level: Not Certified
New Statistics Package?
« on: January 02, 2013, 08:39:59 pm »
Has anyone created an updated Statistics Package in Excel for the new rule-set?  The latest version on wftda.com is from October and still has the minors in the Penalty Tracking section.  We are an unsanctioned league but use WFTDA rules and WFTDA paperwork.  We have a bout coming up in a couple of weeks and I want to be prepared.  I have some experience with Excel and I'm going to try and edit the existing workbook but I'm afraid my knowledge of Excel isn't where it needs to be.  I'm afraid that I am going to create something that will not total correctly.  If I am successful I will post my result.

Offline SilkenTofu

• NSO
  • Stats Sheet: 4
  • League Affiliation: Bleeding Heartland Rollergirls
  • NSO Certification Level: Level 5
Re: New Statistics Package?
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2013, 12:58:33 pm »
Worst-case scenario, you could use the old statsbook and just ignore the minor penalties section.  Then everything would still calculate properly.  You may have an issue if you need to record a Delay of Game penalty, but otherwise, it should still work.
Bloomington, IN
WFTDA Level 5 Certified NSO
WFTDA Clinic Instructor, WFTDA Officials Committee member
MRDA Certification Committee

Offline theMadStatter

• Stats Sheet: 1
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2013, 03:07:22 pm »
I made a copy of the 1PT tab and then sliced and diced it up to hide the minors columns, condense into two pages, went to portrait mode, increased the size, swap the teams around (since the 1PT tab has period 1 and 2 for the same team horizontally adjacent) and then made some tweaks to get the jam number row to show up correctly.

The results are two pages, one for each period, with columns for each teams (filled in from ITRF page).

I still fill in the info into the main PT tab (since the info flows from there), but it works great otherwise.

If you want, I've added a link to to save you an hour or two of spreadsheet work:

NB:  This is not an official WFTDA statbook release in any way, shape or form, and I'd recommend only using it to prepare & print out the paperwork, and do not use it to submit the paperwork.

Never mind - use the real version now released!  It is chalk full of awesome (though portrait mode for the penalty tracker would let the rows be larger - I'm just saying...)
« Last Edit: January 04, 2013, 07:35:24 pm by theMadStatter »

Offline Nick Bergus

• Stats Sheet: 10
  • League Affiliation: Old Capitol City Roller Girls
  • Referee Certification Level: Level 2
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2013, 07:21:52 pm »
The WFTDA has released its updated stats book.
WFTDA-certified referee, level 2
Zebra Huddle moderator

Offline Major Wood

• Administrator
  • Has Too Much Damn Time Member
  • Stats Sheet: 77
  • League Affiliation: Nashville Rollergirls
  • Referee Certification Level: Level 5
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2013, 10:01:56 pm »
Your friendly Zebra Huddle admin.

Nashville Roller Derby Head Ref
WFTDA Level 5 Certified Referee

I speak only of my opinions and interpretations.

Offline Insane Troll Logic

• League Affiliation: Atlanta Rollergirls
  • NSO Certification Level: Level 2
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2013, 10:44:17 pm »
Please ignore the hint on the 'Call' column of the 'Score' page.

The hint can be found by hovering over the red square in the upper right corner of the first data box of the column and states:

Hint: Mark with "x" if jammer was declared lead and called jam before second pass.

Until WFTDA says otherwise, I would consider this to be incorrect and instead continue to use the instructions on bottom of the page which remain essentially unchanged from the previous stats package:

Call = Called Jam, when the listed jammer successfully calls off the jam before jam time runs out.  This is checked whether or not the jam was called legally.
Breakin' rocks in the hot sun...

Offline theMadStatter

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2013, 03:46:53 pm »
We used the new paperwork for our bout last weekend and found a couple of minor heads up to be aware of:

• The period numbers on the action and errors sheets are wrong - team A has period 1 and 1, team B has period 2 and 2
  • The color of one of the scorekeeper sheets (no ghost points) is different for no obvious reason
  • The forms are smaller (due to more rows).  This is especially true of the line up tracker sheet - so much so that one of our trackers had to use older sheets because they wouldn't be able to read it accurately
  • The order of the column on the line up sheets have changed from "P BBB J" to "J P BBB".  (This then added extra fun when entering the paperwork into the spreadsheet since that one set done with the old forms had to be mentally re-ordered while entering it)
  • There is a "new" standard for indicating that the skater is starting in the box in the lineup paperwork - an "S".  Which, of course, with cramped spaces can look like a 5 (but that's pretty rare that it could actually be a 5).
  • Depending on your printer/paper, white text on a black background with the even smaller font can produce something that isn't legible for the column headers

Other niceties:
  • Sheets have a space to write down the team colors.  Be nice if that could be entered in the IBRF and then prepopulated (if known ahead of time)
  • The line up tracker sheet includes the instructions to write down penalty times for skaters still in the box at the end of the first period
  • The increased area/improved usability of the action/errors sheets is great

I have yet to explore the stat/calculation worksheets to see what's new or if there are any issues (we use a custom python script to parse the spreadsheets and produce internal webpages of stats).

And unrelated to the new paperwork, if the venue uses colored lighting to accent the bout theme (like say, red), expect any color coding to be useless

All in all, kudos to all involved in the improvements!!!

Offline Megapickle

• Stats Sheet: 16
  • League Affiliation: Emerald City Roller Girls & Lane County Concussion
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2013, 08:45:41 pm »
Yep, all good stuff, except I dunno about the different colored Score sheet. Not experiencing that here (Win7, Office2010). All of ours came out the same shade of green.

Here is my "Print-Optimized" version, which per the advice on the last tab, I'll be using as my 'master' going forward. Bolded all white-on-black text. Minimized margins, maxed scaling uniquely on each sheet to 'just' fit. Fixed Action & Error periods.

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B4lanxe_he2CaFNtdmE0RVpJMHM
(Disregard the wacky display of the doc there. Use "File > Download" to get the .xlsx file.)

Featured Product

Zebra Huddle Head Referee Bout Booklet

Featured Classifieds

ZH Files

How to Score a Point in Roller Derby
Rating: *****
Downloads: 3265
Views: 5267
Filesize: 327.61KB
Date: January 17, 2017, 04:21:03 am
Comments (0)
By: AdamSmasher
June 2013 Ruleset situational questions
Downloads: 2364
Views: 4875
Filesize: 29.71KB
Date: February 07, 2014, 04:57:32 pm
Comments (2)
By: Crash Test Ref
Rules Q&A and Publications for 6/15/13 Document
Rating: (None)
Downloads: 2527
Views: 5439
Filesize: 26.27KB
Date: August 02, 2013, 04:10:40 pm
Comments (0)
By: Shaun Ketterman
Rules Q&A and Publications for 1/1/13 Document (4/24/13 Updates)
Downloads: 3299
Views: 5424
Filesize: 28.07KB
Date: April 25, 2013, 05:45:34 pm
Comments (0)
By: Shaun Ketterman