Re: "Pincer" blocks = multipayer? by Bluebeard
July 11, 2019, 06:30:49 pm

"Pincer" blocks = multipayer? by Rego_Derby
July 11, 2019, 01:08:36 am

Re: Jammer Scoring Theory by Major Wood
June 26, 2019, 09:59:33 pm

Jammer Scoring Theory by Rego_Derby
June 25, 2019, 04:30:03 am

Author Topic: Official Timeout Bounce  (Read 4143 times)

Offline DocSkinner

• Stats Sheet: 2
  • League Affiliation: Kansas City Roller Warriors
  • Referee Certification Level: Not Certified
  • NSO Certification Level: Level 2
Official Timeout Bounce
« on: January 10, 2013, 08:21:40 pm »
So, how do you feel about the bouncing arms that some Jam Timers do during official timeouts? This has been a discussion among my officiating friends for a while. My contention is that bouncing of the hands/arms is not indicated by the Official Hand Signals document. It does not specify "repeated" or "back and forth" motions. This is the way it was taught to me at the clinic I attended.

The alternate argument is that the Official Hand Signals document shows two pictures, one with the hands raised and one with the hands on the shoulders, suggesting that this is a multi-step signal. Those who argue in favor of the bouncing arms often add that it is easier on the Jam Timer's arms, especially for those timeouts that extend for multiple minutes. They also point out that the crowd has lately become involved by mirroring the motion, and this is a good way to keep fans entertained during boring timeouts.

So, what do you think? Bouncy hands or no? if you do bounce, do you go the full monty and drop your arms to your sides like jumping jacks, or just move your arms to the vertical?

Similar question regarding team timouts. The Official Hand Signals guide says nothing about pointing to the team that called the timeout, yet nearly every Jam Timer I know does so. What do you think?

Offline deadeye

• Stats Sheet: 0
  • League Affiliation: Ohio Roller Girls
Re: Official Timeout Bounce
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2013, 09:20:50 pm »
Don't do it.

Stop fluctuating and flexing and just hold the signal. Be big and clear with your hand signals. If it's a really long time out and you get the feeling that someone is wondering what's going on...then and only then add a small movement to reiterate that yes, this is still an Official Timeout and everyone should know it.
2013 Ohio Roller Girls Head of Officiating
WFTDA Nerd Herd Chair

Offline Samuel Bergus

• League Affiliation: Old Capitol City Roller Girls
  • NSO Certification Level: Level 3
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2013, 09:39:20 pm »
I personally prefer the jam timer to signal which team took the timeout, it makes life easier for the inside whiteboard, the person who is keeping track of the period time (if you're doing that), but especially the scoreboard operator.

Since the scoreboard operator is normally tucked into a corner of the venue, and shouldn't leave their computer (as that could cause them to miss the end of a time out, the start of the next jam, etc.), they don't have the ability to run over to the jam timer and ask which team took the timeout.

Offline SilkenTofu

• NSO
  • Stats Sheet: 4
  • League Affiliation: Bleeding Heartland Rollergirls
  • NSO Certification Level: Level 5
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2013, 09:45:45 pm »
If it's a team timeout or official review, I will gesture to the appropriate team bench, primarily for the benefit of the scoreboard operator.  However, I'm a firm believer that as an NSO, I am not there to entertain the fans with my jam timing.  I'm there to, y'know, time the jams.  If the crowd is watching me instead of the derby, something isn't right.  Granted that's more for jam starts and call-offs, but I think it applies here too.  I don't want an NSO to be the center of attention (other than skaters and officials waiting for those whistles).
Bloomington, IN
WFTDA Level 5 Certified NSO
WFTDA Clinic Instructor, WFTDA Officials Committee member
MRDA Certification Committee

Offline Darkjester

• Has Too Much Damn Time Member
  • Stats Sheet: 39
  • "When in doubt, RTFM"
  • League Affiliation: Beach Brawl SK8R Dolls
  • NSO Certification Level: Not Certified
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2013, 10:01:59 pm »
That's illogical.
The Jam Timer is already standing in the front of the track holding the signal so they are already the center of attention until the action resumes.

Personally, from a 'fan perspective' it keeps the audience engaged and entertained during what can easily be understood as the most boring moments of a game. Seeing 200+ fans perform the "Time Out Work Out" at Championships was hilarious.

I didn't consider the Jam Timer to be hamming it up, as they often remained hyper focused on the action and their job at hand, it was the audience who made it into a 'thing.'

Madness Tolls
69¢
Beach Brawl Sk8R Dolls
Fort Walton Beach FL

Offline bjmacke

• Stats Sheet: 2
  • League Affiliation: Minnesota RollerGirls
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2013, 11:28:38 pm »
I personally don't like doing the flexing motion, probably on aesthetic grounds. If a head ref/nso insisted that it be done, I would do it; but I'd rather use the more minimalist signal. It's unambiguous and feels more legitimate as a signal.
also known as Apron, if you didn't know already.

Offline SeerSin

• Stats Sheet: 55
  • League Affiliation: Minnesota Rollergirls
  • Referee Certification Level: Level 5
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2013, 11:59:24 pm »
First, I agree with Deadeye(she's knows these things).

This may not really add to the thread but I think it's important: The jam timer crowd interaction thing(I've heard a number of titles for it) happened spontaneously. The crowd's favorite jam timer did nothing to encourage or discourage the crowd interaction, they just seemed to like his particular signal which really wasn't much different from anyone else's. But I do agree the jam timer is not there to entertain the crowd and should just continue on as if nothing happened and keep their best poker face.

/derail

Offline kornable

• Stats Sheet: 7
  • League Affiliation: Sun State Roller Girls
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2013, 04:02:37 am »
the best OTO jam timer moments for me is when they have poker face on and the crowd and announcers are trying to get smile or anything out of them.
crowd still love it, jam timer looks like a serious business badass official doing their job like a pro

Offline Numb3r Crunch3r

• Stats Sheet: 13
  • League Affiliation: Sun State Roller Girls
  • Referee Certification Level: Level 2
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2013, 07:12:07 am »
I personally am on the fence about any sort of OTO movement (holding the big shoulder-T seems pretty obvious, to me at least, although I see the purpose of a slow/regular movement for the sake of the 5 minute OTOs where your shoulders start cramping like you wouldn't believe) - but I do like the occasional point to which team has called a TTO - at least until the scoreboard reflects it. Once the scoreboard operator has seen and marked which team it is, the TTO then flashes red on the scoreboard and it becomes less necessary - but even then, a lot of people look at the jam timer, rather than scoreboard, and a clear point to a certain team every 10-15 seconds can't do any harm.

Offline Anton Deck

• Stats Sheet: 3
  • League Affiliation: Dolly Rockit Rollers
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2013, 02:44:30 pm »
The worst thing is when the skaters know you are supposed to keep a straight face and look professional and do their best to put you off.

I used to do the repeated motion till both teams started mimicing it back to me whilst pulling faces. I don't anymore.
I've never been 100% certain which is "correct", its pretty clear whats being signalled either way.

Offline Shovel

• League Affiliation: Lakeland Ladykillers
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2013, 05:26:41 am »
I tend to bounce it for the first 10 seconds or so (not timed, just approx) because the movement catched the eye and people see that it is an OTO. after that I use a 3 or 4 second cycle of holding the sign and then extending my arms and folding them again.
If it is an extended OTO then I have no qualms of dropping my arms for a bit before resuming.

Offline SmackTavish

• Stats Sheet: 1
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2013, 05:25:52 am »
Don't bounce. You aren't Tigger.
--SmackTavish

Brandywine Roller Girls Head NSO

Featured Product

Zebra Huddle Head Referee Bout Booklet

Featured Classifieds

ZH Files

How to Score a Point in Roller Derby
Rating: *****
Downloads: 3968
Views: 6548
Filesize: 327.61KB
Date: January 17, 2017, 04:21:03 am
Comments (0)
By: AdamSmasher
June 2013 Ruleset situational questions
Downloads: 2580
Views: 5349
Filesize: 29.71KB
Date: February 07, 2014, 04:57:32 pm
Comments (2)
By: Crash Test Ref
Rules Q&A and Publications for 6/15/13 Document
Rating: (None)
Downloads: 2779
Views: 5984
Filesize: 26.27KB
Date: August 02, 2013, 04:10:40 pm
Comments (0)
By: Shaun Ketterman
Rules Q&A and Publications for 1/1/13 Document (4/24/13 Updates)
Downloads: 3574
Views: 5973
Filesize: 28.07KB
Date: April 25, 2013, 05:45:34 pm
Comments (0)
By: Shaun Ketterman