ZH Classifieds
ZH Files
ZH Staff
WFTDA 12/1/2014 Rules
WFTDA 3/1/2014 Rules

Donate

Please Support Zebra Huddle!

Recent Posts

October 27th Savannah, Georgia- Blocktoberfest Junior Scrimmage Refs needed by TerryT
October 19, 2018, 01:46:12 am

Low Down Throw Down 2019 - May 3-5 - Augusta, GA by Damn Yankee
October 15, 2018, 10:33:04 pm

Re: Directional While Straddling by Vanilla VICE
October 03, 2018, 03:14:54 pm

Re: Directional While Straddling by Garrotin Keillor
September 22, 2018, 06:03:12 am

Directional While Straddling by HELLvis
September 15, 2018, 11:52:16 pm

Re: Ref and NSO shirts for sale by Renzi06
September 11, 2018, 10:48:43 am

Re: "Unofficial" Referee Code of Conduct by Garrotin Keillor
September 10, 2018, 05:11:19 am

Re: "Unofficial" Referee Code of Conduct by HELLvis
September 07, 2018, 06:25:47 pm

Re: "Unofficial" Referee Code of Conduct by Axis of Stevil
September 06, 2018, 07:30:56 pm

"Unofficial" Referee Code of Conduct by HELLvis
September 06, 2018, 05:06:33 pm

Author Topic: Referee and NSO recruiting tactics, technics, and or ideas  (Read 4212 times)

Offline Dead Ringer

• Stats Sheet: 0
Referee and NSO recruiting tactics, technics, and or ideas
« on: February 13, 2013, 12:16:11 am »
My apologies if this is the incorrect forum for this question, however, I'm not sure where this question best fits.

Here it is:  What does your league do to recruit referees and Non-Skating Officials? My league has recruiting sessions maybe three times a year for skaters and the only time we acquire new refs or anyone interested in NSO'ing is if they know someone in the league and they usually don't stay do to lack of practice time for NSO's and a tad bit more for refs.

Thanks for any and all suggestions and or comments.

Offline HIM-roid

• Stats Sheet: 14
  • League Affiliation: Mississippi Rollergirls
  • Referee Certification Level: Level 2
  • NSO Certification Level: Not Certified
Re: Referee and NSO recruiting tactics, technics, and or ideas
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2013, 01:31:36 am »
+7
Me myself, I recruit 365 days a year. Regardless of rather the ladies are recruiting or not, I am always looking for NSO/Referees. I also had an entry on our webpage about contacting me if you would like to volunteer, either on or off skates.
Once I get them there, I have had meetings/get togethers' one day during the week with my officials and we go over whatever anyone wants to bring up and discuss. It is a good way to get away from the skaters without taking away any practice time for them. We have had a new rules discussion and a "what I want to focus on to make me a better ref/nso" get together. I have put together a plan with each referee on what I can do as the HR to make them better. I will tell you that having a good NSO crew makes my job as the HR a cake walk. If you need to break it down into a what this job actually does and how to do it, you might find that it is beneficial to both you, the individual and the league. A lot of people get into derby to hand out with some cool people, or in my case, people who are as messed up as I am.  ;D  Once they actually get the derby bug, they will stay and want to learn and do more and hopefully pursue certification. Good luck and hopefully you will have a better luck at keeping the ones who show up.
HIM-roid
WFTDA Apprentice Officials Area Coordinator
Head of Officiating
Mississippi Rollergirls
WFTDA-Certified Referee, Level 2
WFTDA Officials Apprentice Program Area Coordinator

Offline Samuel Bergus

• League Affiliation: Old Capitol City Roller Girls
  • Referee Certification Level: Not Certified
  • NSO Certification Level: Level 3
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2013, 04:20:38 pm »
+4
HIM-roid hits upon the big stuff, recruit 365 days a year. While I understand skaters not wanting a constant influx of fresh meat, I have no opposition to training a new NSO outside of the recruitment cycle determined by my league.

I would also add to talk to your announcers, and have them talk about joining the league. "Are you interested in skating, but don't want to get hit? Talk to our head ref, Reffy T. Stripes. Do you have two left feet, and injure yourself just thinking about physical activity? We need an army of NSOs to run a game, talk to our head ref, Pinky Von. Pinkerton."

One thing I have found works pretty well, don't ask your friends "would you be interested in officiating?" ask them "What are you doing Wednesday night? We're having a scrimmage, you should come and NSO."

Most people are willing to give you a couple of hours in order for them to try something new, and from there they might catch the derby bug. If they do not, you can always see what level of commitment they might be interested in, are they willing to just work bouts, would they be willing to help out at the occasional scrimmage, etc.

Offline Dead Ringer

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2013, 11:46:56 pm »
Thank y'all for the suggestions. Our problem as a two year old league starting our third season Saturday (Yay) is we only bout once a month although they practice two to three times a week they only  scrimmage the week before the bout and only have one ref (others were transferred out due to being enlisted) and a fairly strong NSO crew I have been talking to about them getting certified.  I'm the only one to have done WFTDA bouts and a couple tournaments as a NSO. With no scrimmage time I am looking for ways to train and or keep the NSO's interested.  Definitely need more refs also.  Thanks again for the advice, I truly appreciate any and all advice.

Offline Bill Hind

• Stats Sheet: 1
  • League Affiliation: A'Salt Creek Roller Girls
  • Referee Certification Level: Level 2
  • NSO Certification Level: Not Certified
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2013, 04:27:12 pm »
+2
I encounter this problem fairly frequently. The best solution is to coordinate with the coaching staff to make scrimmages more frequent. Of course, they have to agree that scrimmaging often is worthwhile in the training program for skaters.

I have found that the best officials very often come from leagues with weekly scrimmages regularly scheduled.
Bill Hind Justice, Referee
A'Salt Creek Roller Girls
Casper, WY, USA

Statsquatch

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2013, 06:12:43 pm »
+1
I would also add that it's important you're honest with them coming in. If you are crowd sourcing, you're asking a fan to start doing something that actively requires they no longer cheer for the person that they came to the bout to see. This is as simple as making sure you don't lead fans to believe being an official takes you from fan to superfan(i.e. "Are you a fan and want to help out your local derby league?!"), but rather moving toward something more generalized. "Enjoying the bout and want to be a more active participant? Derby takes an army of volunteers. If you're interested in more, please speak with Wally T. Volunteersalot."

Offline Dead Ringer

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2013, 11:06:30 pm »
Thanks y'all, truly appreciated.

Featured Product

Zebra Huddle Head Referee Bout Booklet

Featured Classifieds

ZH Files

How to Score a Point in Roller Derby
Rating: *****
Downloads: 2530
Views: 4171
Filesize: 327.61KB
Date: January 17, 2017, 04:21:03 am
Comments (0)
By: AdamSmasher
June 2013 Ruleset situational questions
Downloads: 1943
Views: 4046
Filesize: 29.71KB
Date: February 07, 2014, 04:57:32 pm
Comments (2)
By: Crash Test Ref
Rules Q&A and Publications for 6/15/13 Document
Rating: (None)
Downloads: 2073
Views: 4531
Filesize: 26.27KB
Date: August 02, 2013, 04:10:40 pm
Comments (0)
By: Shaun Ketterman
Rules Q&A and Publications for 1/1/13 Document (4/24/13 Updates)
Downloads: 2914
Views: 4603
Filesize: 28.07KB
Date: April 25, 2013, 05:45:34 pm
Comments (0)
By: Shaun Ketterman