Re: Rule clarification by 3Beers
January 26, 2020, 08:09:00 pm

Re: Rule clarification by Bluebeard
January 17, 2020, 05:26:46 am

Rule clarification by 3Beers
December 28, 2019, 06:04:00 pm

Re: Resources for new referees. by Destructor
November 29, 2019, 01:13:40 pm

Author Topic: NSO handbooks/manuals for 2013 anyone?  (Read 8643 times)

Offline Jazz Hands

• Stats Sheet: 0
  • Yes, Roller Derby in Puerto Rico!
  • League Affiliation: Enchanted Island Roller Derby League
  • Referee Certification Level: Not Certified
  • NSO Certification Level: Not Certified
NSO handbooks/manuals for 2013 anyone?
« on: February 20, 2013, 08:57:06 pm »
I'm usually the "researcher" for my league but I haven't found any. I'm looking for the ones like Gravity kills made but I've had no luck. The only document I possess right now is this one http://wftda.com/rules/wftda-officiating-standardized-practices.pdf and the old Officiating manual. Should I go by the old Officiating manual and old handbooks for now?

Jazz Hands

Enchanted Island Roller Derby League

Offline ShoNuff

• Stats Sheet: 29
  • League Affiliation: Mad Rollin' Dolls
  • NSO Certification Level: Level 4
Re: NSO handbooks/manuals for 2013 anyone?
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2013, 12:50:29 am »
Most of the content of the old manuals should still be useful.

Certain positions are a lot busier and others less so.  So far everything I've seena nd heard inidicates that there are many more box minutes per bout than under the old rule set so box staff is much busier.

Penalty tracking staff is far less busy.  So far I've seen many more majors than before, but that sill means 1/3-1/2 as many total penalties for the tracking staff to handle.

Scoring hasn't changed much although the increased box visits have translated to many more power jams and many more jams with large numbers of scoring passes so rapid and strong communication between jam ref and scorekeeper is even more critical if that's possible.

So the core activities are still there.  The big discussions are how to restructure NSO staffing since previously penalty tracking was the largest manpower need and that is no longer the case.  I don't think you'll see a lot of new manuals coming out until leagues start settling on how they want to staff with the new rules.

Offline reflmao

• Stats Sheet: 21
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2013, 02:14:17 pm »
I don't want to speak to much for Gravity about her manuals but she is planning on updating them.  Two things are delaying that.  The manuals document RCRD's practices and those practices aren't completely settled yet and we have a new baby which is killing any time either of us have.

But as ShoNuff says, most of the info is still appropriate.  So far RCRD is still basically running based on Gravity's manuals with two differences.  Our current practice is no outside whiteboards and only 1 penalty tracker.   The inside still has the whiteboards and is staffed with inside tracker, wrangler, whiteboard operator, and Jam timer. 
RCRD, Rochester, NY

Offline Jazz Hands

• Yes, Roller Derby in Puerto Rico!
  • League Affiliation: Enchanted Island Roller Derby League
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2013, 07:42:16 pm »
Thanks!  :) I'll wait then. Enjoy your baby, it's more important. And actually I was wondering about Outside whiteboards... Without them refs would have to skate the mayors in or rely on shouting (not so reliable). I think I'm going to try and have them on my next game and see how if they're necessary or not.
Jazz Hands

Enchanted Island Roller Derby League

Offline Megapickle

• Stats Sheet: 16
  • League Affiliation: Emerald City Roller Girls & Lane County Concussion
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2013, 08:26:29 pm »
We're getting off-topic here, but: While we haven't gotten official word from WFTDA yet, most everyone is deciding that Outside Whiteboards are not necessary. Whistle followed by clear hand signal and skater leaving the track should be enough visual info. And when the action gets crazy, skate in to report/confirm the penalty codes to the Tracker or Wrangler after the jam.

Most places, Outside WBs had become a backup way of getting info into the center mid-jam, mostly in case it became a 4th Minor & action needed to be taken. But reporting Major codes has almost no urgency.

If you're really concerned, put the OWB in place, but encourage your OPRs to try hard to avoid using them, and see if they can make it through the entire bout. In my final bout with Minors (in a loud venue), all three of the OPRs managed to not use our OWBs even once. Didn't hurt that we had a Level 5 ref as our Wrangler, anticipating every call we made. :-)

FWIW, this weekend is Wild West Showdown, the first big multi-day event with Sanctioned action under the new rules, and we're not using OWBs.

Offline Eject You Later

• Stats Sheet: 24
  • League Affiliation: Old Capitol City Roller Girls
  • Referee Certification Level: Level 2
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2013, 08:59:18 pm »
FWIW, this weekend is Wild West Showdown, the first big multi-day event with Sanctioned action under the new rules, and we're not using OWBs.

The B-Cup Tournament was held 2 weeks ago, was an 11 Regulation and 1 Sanctioned game event, and did not use OWBs.

Here is what I'm sending out to officials in my pre-game communications:

There will be no outside white boards for this game.  OPRs will need to be loud when issuing a penalty.  After an OPR has assessed a penalty and the skater has left the track, the OPR should look to the center of the track and repeat the hand signal for the penalty tracker/wrangler to pick up and acknowledge.  The tracker will be able to get the skater's color and number as she skates to the penalty box, but will need verification of the penalty code.  Please signal that in.  If you are unable to get the penalty acknowledged by the tracker then wait until the jam ends and skate inside to confirm it with the tracker.  The penalty will be acknowledged either with a verbal communication ("White 4-5 back block, got it!") or by non-verbal communication such as a head nod or a thumbs up in your direction.
Eject You Later - Referee
Old Capitol City Roller Girls of Coralville, IA
WFTDA Member League
Zebra Huddle Referee Verifier

Offline ShoNuff

• Stats Sheet: 29
  • League Affiliation: Mad Rollin' Dolls
  • NSO Certification Level: Level 4
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2013, 11:33:47 pm »
In our first bout under the new set we had the OWBs record every time an OPR dropped off a penalty to them.  In two bouts the OPRs dropped off three penalties to the OWBs.  Each of those was picked up by the center from the OPR and the OWB report wasn't needed.

Because we found we didn't need them under our bouting conditions, we dropped them.  I have run into one league that found the opposite.  Their venue has such poor acoustics that they found the absence of the OWBs caused real problems and put them back in.

So absolutely test what works with your crew and your venue before deciding what you want to do.  There are a lot of ideas around right now that are brilliant, for the league and venue that proposed them.  Finding the ideas that will be brilliant on a wider scale is still a work in progress.

Offline Darkjester

• Has Too Much Damn Time Member
  • Stats Sheet: 39
  • "When in doubt, RTFM"
  • League Affiliation: Beach Brawl SK8R Dolls
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2013, 11:56:21 pm »
I penalty wrangled a new Rules Set bout two weeks ago with Him-Roid in Pensacola. At the end of the 1st half, we moved the OWB (due to non-use) over to the Penalty Box Manager position so they could inform us of Skaters waved off needing to serve. 

As wrangler, I picked up all the penalties from OPR's and assisted the Penalty Tracker (1) with Inside White Board updating. (We were short staffed-ish, the OWB was not able to be inside the track due to age limitations I believe.)

It worked quite well I felt.
Madness Tolls
69¢
Beach Brawl Sk8R Dolls
Fort Walton Beach FL

Offline HIM-roid

• Stats Sheet: 14
  • League Affiliation: Mississippi Rollergirls
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2013, 01:05:35 am »
As anything, it all boils down to experience. Someone who has been around derby a while will be able to pick up the penalties a lot easier than someone who is volunteering for the first time. DJ did a very good job in the bout that he was mentioning, especially since my voice was suffering from sinus issues and my verbal cues, well, weren't too verbal.  ;D  However, if DJ wasn't as experienced as he was (knowing hand signals, penalty codes, etc) the outcome may have been much different. If your with a league that has a few years under their belt and has a consistent NSO crew, you could probably get by without OWB's, but, if you are a newer league and you still have to pull the coaches sisters boyfriend out of the stands to NSO and this is the first bout he has ever seen, it might not be a wise move.
As MP stated, staff the bout as normal but try and not use that position. This way you have the emergency backup if needed and it won't interrupt the bout or gameflow.
HIM-roid
WFTDA Apprentice Officials Area Coordinator
Head of Officiating
Mississippi Rollergirls
WFTDA-Certified Referee, Level 2
WFTDA Officials Apprentice Program Area Coordinator

Offline Bladeybug

• League Affiliation: Independent
  • NSO Certification Level: Level 2
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2013, 06:37:49 pm »
Back on the topic of manuals... I have been working on some documents.

The guides are not as thorough as I would like them to be, and may still have some errors as I was editing old ones from the old ruleset that Bill Hind Justice had created. I have amended the NSO portion of the standard practices to include verbal cues my expectations of my NSOs. Credit to Bill Hind Justice and myself for the position guides and myself for the amended Std Practices... Please let me know if these docs bring up any questions or if you find any errors so that I can make the necessary adjustments!
https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B37Cosl5eeIWTXJBb2puNndudFU&usp=sharing

Offline Insane Troll Logic

• Stats Sheet: 1
  • League Affiliation: Atlanta Rollergirls
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2013, 10:59:37 pm »
Bladeybug,

There is an error on the scorekeeping section. The example paperwork for a Star Pass is:

However, when a jammer who is lead removes her star cover, she looses lead. So the paperwork should look like:

Breakin' rocks in the hot sun...

Offline Bladeybug

« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2013, 02:54:49 am »
Thanks! If that's the only error so far, I'm feeling great.

Offline SKLz

• League Affiliation: Emerald City Roller Girls
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2013, 01:25:41 am »
Also, when a skater fouls out, the code marked on the sheet should be "PM" (for penalty minutes), rather than "FO" as you have on the penalty tracking sheet here.

Thanks for putting this together: it's super helpful!

SKLz

Offline Bladeybug

« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2013, 01:49:31 am »
Good Catch

Offline Numb3r Crunch3r

• Stats Sheet: 13
  • League Affiliation: Sun State Roller Girls
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2013, 02:43:18 am »
Also-also (was looking at these the other day to send them to my league HNSO) - at some point in the scorekeeping section you state 'the most points possible on a single pass is 5' (or something along those lines). Not sure if you're generalising for NSOs/simplicity of paperwork, but in the grand scheme of things it's very possible to score a 6 point pass, especially if you have jammer-on-jammer cutting/yielding going on.

Featured Product

Zebra Huddle Head Referee Bout Booklet

Featured Classifieds

ZH Files

How to Score a Point in Roller Derby
Rating: *****
Downloads: 4505
Views: 7624
Filesize: 327.61KB
Date: January 17, 2017, 04:21:03 am
Comments (0)
By: AdamSmasher
June 2013 Ruleset situational questions
Downloads: 3009
Views: 6181
Filesize: 29.71KB
Date: February 07, 2014, 04:57:32 pm
Comments (2)
By: Crash Test Ref
Rules Q&A and Publications for 6/15/13 Document
Rating: (None)
Downloads: 3211
Views: 7129
Filesize: 26.27KB
Date: August 02, 2013, 04:10:40 pm
Comments (0)
By: Shaun Ketterman
Rules Q&A and Publications for 1/1/13 Document (4/24/13 Updates)
Downloads: 4030
Views: 9148
Filesize: 28.07KB
Date: April 25, 2013, 05:45:34 pm
Comments (0)
By: Shaun Ketterman