Re: Rules 2017 and old 2.4.2.2 "lost illegibility" by Divide by Zero
November 13, 2017, 07:18:19 am

Rules 2017 and old 2.4.2.2 "lost illegibility" by watzé
November 12, 2017, 08:39:57 pm

Re: Star Pass Destroys the Pack by General Hellativity
November 10, 2017, 05:31:10 pm

Re: Star Pass Destroys the Pack by Bluebeard
November 08, 2017, 10:35:28 pm

Author Topic: Antik Spyder  (Read 9312 times)

Offline Loaded Gun

• Stats Sheet: 0
Antik Spyder
« on: February 26, 2013, 07:11:18 pm »
My riedell boots are half a size to small, i have been thinking about getting a new skate and just saw the Antik Spyder. Anyone have any experience with them?
Skate Geek inc!

Offline Major Wood

• Administrator
  • Has Too Much Damn Time Member
  • Stats Sheet: 77
  • League Affiliation: Nashville Rollergirls
  • Referee Certification Level: Level 5
  • NSO Certification Level: Not Certified
Re: Antik Spyder
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2013, 08:11:27 pm »
I see they have a "new and improved" Powerdyne Triton plate. This is going to be your biggest concern. I don't know what has been changed with that plate, but unless it's a significant difference, that plate is TERRIBLE. I've seen it literally snap in half, among other failures.
The new one may have fixed those flaws, but I would be very cautious.
Your friendly Zebra Huddle admin.

Nashville Rollergirls Head Ref
WFTDA Level 5 Certified Referee

I speak only of my opinions and interpretations.

Offline Darkjester

• Stats Sheet: 39
  • "When in doubt, RTFM"
  • League Affiliation: Beach Brawl SK8R Dolls
  • Referee Certification Level: Not Certified
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2013, 09:22:46 pm »
I can't in good feeling recommend any plate from powerdyne. ('Maybe' the Reactor, but thats only if you are a proline fan.)

The boots themselves I've not heard much anything on other than its not as supportive as people think, but they are comfortable?
They are also made by Reidell FOR GRNMNSTR, so make sure to verify the sizing before you mount.
Madness Tolls
69¢
Beach Brawl Sk8R Dolls
Fort Walton Beach FL

Offline Bishop

• Superhero Member
  • Stats Sheet: 51
  • Quoth the raven, "Nevermore."
  • League Affiliation: Charlottesville Derby Dames
  • Referee Certification Level: Level 2
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2013, 04:07:16 pm »
I was going to defend the honor of the powerdyne reactor plate since I've been using it for the past three years and love it.  However, it broke at some point within the past two days.  The plate broke horizontally on the inside angle on the end with the toe stop.  There's also another fracture perpendicular to the boot right where that shadow starts (below the logo).  A contributing factor may have been that the plates had been subjected to cold temperatures.

In the meantime ... can anyone recommend another plate?  I'm considering the Sure-Grip Avenger White Magnesium plate.  Thoughts? 
« Last Edit: March 20, 2013, 04:20:08 pm by Bishop »
Recommended Resources:WFTDA Rules Central, WFTDA officiating & Successful Sports Officiating
Propose rule changes at timeout.wftda.com.

Offline Darkjester

• "When in doubt, RTFM"
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2013, 06:12:15 pm »
I love the SFDA45.. As does my wife and the majority of skaters I've suggested them to. The White Avenger is SUPER light, tuneable to good response, inexpensive, and cushions can be swapped out inexpensive as well.

That being said, its not going to skate like  your reactor. There 'could' be a small adjustment period (or none at all) but its definitely going to feel different than a reactor.
Madness Tolls
69¢
Beach Brawl Sk8R Dolls
Fort Walton Beach FL

Offline Freddy Hg Poisoning

• Stats Sheet: 2
  • League Affiliation: Greensboro Roller Derby
  • Referee Certification Level: Level 3
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2013, 06:33:37 pm »
That's the second powerdyne plate I've seen break in the past week.  I saw a Revenge break across the plate behind the pivot.

As far as the the Spyder goes for the same money you can get the Riedell Vandal.  It has a 265 boot which is just a better boot than the Spyder.  It does come with a nylon plate.  Ive never seen nylon break but it will flex depending on your weight.  Some people like that. None of the plates in these packages are very good and after a year or so you can upgrade that pretty easily.

I'm ambivalent about the Avengers.  They're great bang for buck if you like 45' trucks.  I tried them and hated the 45' angle. I know people that love and swear by them but also people that after years of skating on 10' or 15' struggle to adjust.  They're probably great if you're switching from inlines to quads.
Not so much a zebra but a penguin

Offline Cliquework

• Superhero Member
  • Stats Sheet: 55
  • EGO sum Speculum. Noxiae poena par esto.
  • League Affiliation: Demolition City Roller Derby
  • Referee Certification Level: Level 3
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2013, 06:34:48 pm »
@ Bishop

Hmm. I can't say that I've seen personally a ton of those break, but I'll be damned if the ones that I have seen all have broken in that way, the shaft separating from the base as if it were a weak weld and clearly not made/forged out of one piece of billet aluminum.
Demolition City Roller Derby Head Ref
Evansville, IN
Zebra Huddle Moderator
WFTDA Refcert Checklist

Offline Bishop

• Superhero Member
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2013, 02:15:28 pm »
So I finally got the bright idea check the other skate and noticed that it too had failed at the same place.  It's not quite as extreme as what occured with the right plate but it's still broken. 

I called Riedell and they informed me that my warranty was 90 days.  They also didn't seem especially surprised that the plate failed in that way - like not even the least bit.  I'm going to buy a Powerdyne Rival plate since it has the same wheelbase just to give myself some time to adapt to another type of skate plate.
Recommended Resources:WFTDA Rules Central, WFTDA officiating & Successful Sports Officiating

Offline Darkjester

• "When in doubt, RTFM"
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2013, 05:15:36 pm »
Honestly I would avoid anything by Powerdyne other than a Reactor if thats the type of plate you want.
Dynapros/Revenges/Tritons all have issues.
Madness Tolls
69¢
Beach Brawl Sk8R Dolls
Fort Walton Beach FL

Offline Bishop

• Superhero Member
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2013, 06:09:54 pm »
Honestly I would avoid anything by Powerdyne other than a Reactor if thats the type of plate you want.

The clincher for me is that I also play derby and I have a game in two weeks.  I won't be able to master a new plate and skating style in that time frame.  The Rival plate can be mounted to my boots with no alterations.  So I'll be using a Rival plate for the short term - even if I end up selling it in a few months.  The kingpin angle is slightly different (15 versus 10) from the Reactor but I should be able to adjust well enough.

« Last Edit: March 21, 2013, 06:31:15 pm by Bishop »

Offline Frank Necrosis

« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2013, 05:33:20 pm »
My riedell boots are half a size to small, i have been thinking about getting a new skate and just saw the Antik Spyder. Anyone have any experience with them?

Depending on the boot, a cobbler may be able to stretch them half a size. If it a new generation 265, it will stretch out a size in a few months on its own.

I would avoid the Spyder due to the plate. The Triton is bit heavy, doesn't perform all that well and they tend to bend and break. I have replaced about 2 dozen Tritons with Avengers. Every single Triton, except for one pair, was bent. The exception was a pair of skates with less than a month of skating on them.

Offline Technical Difficulties

« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2013, 03:36:38 am »
As far as the the Spyder goes for the same money you can get the Riedell Vandal.  It has a 265 boot which is just a better boot than the Spyder.  It does come with a nylon plate.  Ive never seen nylon break but it will flex depending on your weight.  Some people like that. None of the plates in these packages are very good and after a year or so you can upgrade that pretty easily.

For the record, my league has had some vinyl plates break, but I think they were all on R3s.  Riedell puts relatively long plates on the R3s, and the one broke crosswise near the ball of the foot, as if it wanted to flex with the boot when the wearer stood on tiptoes/toe stops.  The other ones...that skater is fairly light, but she's broken 3(?) already.  Then we had the guy who was always breaking pivot cups...

Offline Bishop

• Superhero Member
Riedell Rival plate
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2014, 04:42:41 pm »
+1

The clincher for me is that I also play derby and I have a game in two weeks.  I won't be able to master a new plate and skating style in that time frame.  The Rival plate can be mounted to my boots with no alterations.  So I'll be using a Rival plate for the short term - even if I end up selling it in a few months.  The kingpin angle is slightly different (15 versus 10) from the Reactor but I should be able to adjust well enough.

I've been using the Riedell Rival plate for playing and reffing for a year now so I thought I'd give an update:

Still ticked at Riedell for being cheap jerks and not backing up their flagship plate, the Powerdyne Reactor.

That being said, I love the Rival plate.  No compliants whatsoever.  I swapped out plates without having to change anything on the boot - I even left the same screws in there.  The plates are heavier by about a half a pound but I really never noticed.  A lot of the weight comes from the trucks which are much beefier.  The trucks from my Reactor plate would fit into the Rival plate but would drop me down about an eight of an inch (Reactor trucks have a much lower/flater profile.) 

The Rival plate is made out of one of those magnesim/aluminum alloy versus the "aircraft aluminum" of the Reactor.  The alloy and plate thickness of the Rival makes it much stiffer than the Reactor and ... this is critical, apparently more resilient than the Reactor plate.  My Reactor plate felt "squishy" which I liked at the time, but Rival plate doesn't feel like it's soaking up the energy the way the Reactor did.  It's kind of like the difference between running on pavement versus running through sand. 

I haven't tried doing Monkey Push-Ups on the Rivals like I had with the Reactors.  I'm reasonably certain that's what did my Reactors in.  The Rival seems like it could take the added abuse - and that's by design; the Rival plate is the roller derby version of the Reactor plate. 
« Last Edit: March 27, 2014, 05:05:16 pm by Bishop »

Featured Product

Zebra Huddle Head Referee Bout Booklet

Featured Classifieds

ZH Files

How to Score a Point in Roller Derby
Rating: *****
Downloads: 1851
Views: 2935
Filesize: 327.61KB
Date: January 17, 2017, 04:21:03 am
Comments (0)
By: AdamSmasher
June 2013 Ruleset situational questions
Downloads: 1662
Views: 3076
Filesize: 29.71KB
Date: February 07, 2014, 04:57:32 pm
Comments (2)
By: Crash Test Ref
Rules Q&A and Publications for 6/15/13 Document
Rating: (None)
Downloads: 1717
Views: 3506
Filesize: 26.27KB
Date: August 02, 2013, 04:10:40 pm
Comments (0)
By: Shaun Ketterman
Rules Q&A and Publications for 1/1/13 Document (4/24/13 Updates)
Downloads: 2560
Views: 3631
Filesize: 28.07KB
Date: April 25, 2013, 05:45:34 pm
Comments (0)
By: Shaun Ketterman