Rule clarification by 3Beers
December 28, 2019, 06:04:00 pm

Re: Resources for new referees. by Destructor
November 29, 2019, 01:13:40 pm

Resources for new referees. by Destructor
November 26, 2019, 06:01:48 pm

Jammer Passing Inactive Jammers by hellvis
November 14, 2019, 03:37:30 am

Author Topic: Delay of Game Play rule and the WB  (Read 4316 times)

Offline escales

• Stats Sheet: 0
  • League Affiliation: Perth Roller Derby
  • Referee Certification Level: Not Certified
  • NSO Certification Level: Not Certified
Delay of Game Play rule and the WB
« on: March 14, 2013, 11:16:23 pm »
Hi all,

I'm a relatively new HNSO and I got asked a Q last night about Delay of Game Play. I can see and understand the hand signal, I've read all I can on the rule, issues etc, the damn one second jam, but I can't seem to find if there is a corresponding letter for the penalty and if so, what it is. My initial thought was either "I" or "M". Stupid question? Have I missed it somewhere?

Any help would be great, thanks

Connie Penaltea'cakez
Perth Roller Derby, AU

Perth Roller Derby
Head of Officials
Head NSO

Derby West NSO Rep
Derby West Treasurer

Offline ShoNuff

• Stats Sheet: 29
  • League Affiliation: Mad Rollin' Dolls
  • NSO Certification Level: Level 4
Re: Delay of Game Play rule and the WB
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2013, 11:22:38 pm »
I don't believe there was ever an announcement centered on delay of game but it is contained in the statsbook

The code is Z and can be found on the penalty tab and the whiteboard tab of the WFTDA statsbook.

Offline Eject You Later

• Stats Sheet: 24
  • League Affiliation: Old Capitol City Roller Girls
  • Referee Certification Level: Level 2
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2013, 12:57:46 am »
the damn one second jam

Also, we do not run a 1 second jam.  For a Delay of Game, when the line up clock hits 30 seconds an Officials Time Out should be called immediately and the jam should not be started.  Assess the penalty, get everyone lined up, then start the jam.
Eject You Later - Referee
Old Capitol City Roller Girls of Coralville, IA
WFTDA Member League
Zebra Huddle Referee Verifier

RawShark

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2013, 01:32:58 am »
the damn one second jam

Also, we do not run a 1 second jam.  For a Delay of Game, when the line up clock hits 30 seconds an Officials Time Out should be called immediately and the jam should not be started.  Assess the penalty, get everyone lined up, then start the jam.

To add to Eject's answer, not running a 1-sec-jam is supported by the Jammerless Jam rules publication - http://wftda.com/rules/publications/jammerless-jam:

[rule]If a Jammer is in the penalty box when a jam starts, and the opposing team fails to field a Jammer in the new jam, preventing a jam from beginning, a Delay of Game penalty will be assessed to that team's Captain.

This should happen immediately at the end of the 30-second line-up time, before the new jam has started.The team that did not field a Jammer will be able to field a Jammer in the new jam, allowing the game to continue. If both teams fail to field a Jammer, preventing a jam from beginning, both team's Captains will be assessed a Delay of Game penalty. This should happen immediately at the end of the 30-second line-up time, before the new jam has started. Any subsequent delays may fall under 9.2.7.1.2.[/rule]

Offline Numb3r Crunch3r

• Stats Sheet: 13
  • League Affiliation: Sun State Roller Girls
  • Referee Certification Level: Level 2
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2013, 02:43:17 am »
the damn one second jam

To add to Eject's answer, not running a 1-sec-jam is supported by the Jammerless Jam rules publication - http://wftda.com/rules/publications/jammerless-jam:

[rule]If a Jammer is in the penalty box when a jam starts, and the opposing team fails to field a Jammer in the new jam, preventing a jam from beginning, a Delay of Game penalty will be assessed to that team's Captain.

This should happen immediately at the end of the 30-second line-up time, before the new jam has started.The team that did not field a Jammer will be able to field a Jammer in the new jam, allowing the game to continue. If both teams fail to field a Jammer, preventing a jam from beginning, both team's Captains will be assessed a Delay of Game penalty. This should happen immediately at the end of the 30-second line-up time, before the new jam has started. Any subsequent delays may fall under 9.2.7.1.2.[/rule]

To add to both answers - this is why it's my personal preference for the jam timer role to be expanded (now that there's quite a bit less to do/learn regarding pack/no pack starts and the jam starting rules) - such that the jam timer is notified (either by a referee, or by the penalty box whiteboard) of skaters who are in queue, and makes themselves aware of the other delay of game penalties that require an OTO at 30 seconds, rather than the start of a jam.

Who better to enforce the timing of these rules, than the person who publicly and visibly starts, or controls the not-starting-of a jam?

Offline Megapickle

• Stats Sheet: 16
  • League Affiliation: Emerald City Roller Girls & Lane County Concussion
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2013, 03:44:00 am »
Yes, this. Already being done in places. A couple other minor advices:

When the lineup clock hits zero and the OTO is being taken instead of the jam starting, DON'T blow the normal 4-rapid-whistles Timeout signal (which you are blowing for all other timeouts, right? :-). Just hand-signal and verbally announce the OTO. Avoids drama for parties all around.

The 'standard' Carolina scoreboard software has a policy that's not enabled by default, but which I turn on whenever allowed: "LineupClockControlsTimeoutClockPolicy". This allows the operator to not have to do anything when the Delay Of Game has been earned. It also allows the Period Clock to automatically & strictly adhere to this rule:
[rule]2.8.2.3 - Officials must stop the official period clock between jams when time exceeds 30 seconds.[/rule]
(I also switch the Lineup clock to count down & tweak the trigger accordingly.)

Offline Re'f Al Ghul

• Stats Sheet: 0
  • League Affiliation: Wirral Whipiteres Roller Derby
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2013, 03:01:04 pm »
Just to add to this, what's the ruling on how to handle the delay of game penalty if you only realise one is due after the jam starting whistle? I had this happen to me in scrimmage at the weekend (skater in the queue, didn't show for the line up, I realised some 10 seconds into the jam), I let the jam run and then went to the offending skater and issued the delay of game penalty. Did I do it wrong?

Offline Riff Reff

• Superhero Member
  • Stats Sheet: 30
  • League Affiliation: Dublin Roller Derby
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2013, 03:15:21 pm »
It's not wrong. It is one of two options. Both are not ideal. I see arguments for calling the jam just as for letting it run. Calling the jam is more likely to end in a $h17storm if e.g. the other team just got lead. Letting it run is probably the easier way to do it because you can deal with it without taking an OTO.
Don't look at the game with rules-tinted glasses; look at the rules with game-tinted glasses!

Offline Darth Bling

• Referee
  • Stats Sheet: 6
  • Referee Certification Level: Level 3
  • NSO Certification Level: Level 2
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2013, 06:38:18 pm »
I'd probably let the jam run and then deal with it before the next jam.

The only exception to this that I can think of is if it's the last jam of the bout,  then you'd probably want to end the jam immediately.  Otherwise the offending the player will never serve their penalty.

Best policy is of course not to miss it in the first place!

Featured Product

Zebra Huddle Head Referee Bout Booklet

Featured Classifieds

ZH Files

How to Score a Point in Roller Derby
Rating: *****
Downloads: 4139
Views: 6888
Filesize: 327.61KB
Date: January 17, 2017, 04:21:03 am
Comments (0)
By: AdamSmasher
June 2013 Ruleset situational questions
Downloads: 2700
Views: 5601
Filesize: 29.71KB
Date: February 07, 2014, 04:57:32 pm
Comments (2)
By: Crash Test Ref
Rules Q&A and Publications for 6/15/13 Document
Rating: (None)
Downloads: 2922
Views: 6281
Filesize: 26.27KB
Date: August 02, 2013, 04:10:40 pm
Comments (0)
By: Shaun Ketterman
Rules Q&A and Publications for 1/1/13 Document (4/24/13 Updates)
Downloads: 3745
Views: 6699
Filesize: 28.07KB
Date: April 25, 2013, 05:45:34 pm
Comments (0)
By: Shaun Ketterman