Re: "Pincer" blocks = multipayer? by Bluebeard
July 11, 2019, 06:30:49 pm

"Pincer" blocks = multipayer? by Rego_Derby
July 11, 2019, 01:08:36 am

Re: Jammer Scoring Theory by Major Wood
June 26, 2019, 09:59:33 pm

Jammer Scoring Theory by Rego_Derby
June 25, 2019, 04:30:03 am

Re: Clamping down with the upper arm by bmd (2113)
June 12, 2019, 07:54:29 pm

Re: Ref facepaint by Major Wood
June 12, 2019, 04:16:34 pm

Re: Ref facepaint by Rego_Derby
June 11, 2019, 11:35:08 pm

Author Topic: IBRF Alphanumeric Sorting of Skater Numbers  (Read 6076 times)

Offline Glitch

• Stats Sheet: 0
  • League Affiliation: SFVRD
IBRF Alphanumeric Sorting of Skater Numbers
« on: April 12, 2013, 07:55:26 pm »
Good Day,

I like to have my inside white board and NSO paperwork all line up in regards to number ordering. I just find it much easier for the penalty tracker. I have been ordering the rosters on the IBRF Alphanumerically except for the Alts which I place at the bottom of the roster. For example:

1. 01 name
2. 10 name
12. 900 name
13. code100 name
14. p2p4 name
15. 001 ALTname
16. 300 ALTname

The last two games all of the ALTs ended up playing (2 girls on the roster were no shows) and I had to redo the whiteboard, and the penalty sheets didn't match up. I know it is somewhat trivial, but it drives me nuts.

Is it okay to integrate the ALTs into the roster, then just cross them out if they don't end up playing? After the game do you delete the girls that don't play from the IBRF or do you keep them on to show they were Rostered but didn't play? Should you indicate a ALT player to delineate them from the rest of the team?

Thanks!

Offline ShoNuff

• Stats Sheet: 29
  • League Affiliation: Mad Rollin' Dolls
  • Referee Certification Level: Not Certified
  • NSO Certification Level: Level 4
Re: IBRF Alphanumeric Sorting of Skater Numbers
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2013, 08:10:12 pm »
The status as alt means as much as the bout contract between the teams says it means.

The statsbook and paperwork make no differentiation between the two.  Unless you or your crew are excessively annoyed to have people on the paperwork who never skate and thus never have anything recorded about them, just put the whole potential roster in order and only ever write anything down by the ones who skate.

The statsbook has 20 names with the idea that people will not know who is skating and just enter up to an entire 20 person roster and not have to worry about who actually ends up skating when bout day arrives.

Offline Glitch

• League Affiliation: SFVRD
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2013, 10:37:44 pm »
Thanks!

As a follow up. Can an Alt Skater, who does not end up skating, be listed as an NSO?

Offline Megapickle

• Stats Sheet: 16
  • League Affiliation: Emerald City Roller Girls & Lane County Concussion
  • NSO Certification Level: Not Certified
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2013, 10:43:46 pm »
Yep, what Sho said. All potential skaters sorted normally on the pre-printed paperwork, then around gear-check-time, when the up-to-14 rostered skaters are locked in, write only the skating skaters on the Whiteboard. That's my preference when teams/contracts allow or necessitate it.

Btw, "code100" is not a legal number - too many characters. "100" is presumably her number on the roster, and "code" is a pre-number decoration that's allowed on her back, <2 inches tall. But those decorations are totally ignored by all officials & should go on none of your official paperwork/boards. And she should be sorted in with the 'ones', because refs will be announcing her penalties as "One Zero Zero".

And there's no rule preventing a potential skater that doesn't make the roster from NSOing. But choosing & assigning your NSO crew that late seems, um, problematic. :-)

Offline Samuel Bergus

• League Affiliation: Old Capitol City Roller Girls
  • NSO Certification Level: Level 3
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2013, 11:33:53 am »
All potential skaters sorted normally on the pre-printed paperwork, then around gear-check-time, when the up-to-14 rostered skaters are locked in, write only the skating skaters on the Whiteboard. That's my preference when teams/contracts allow or necessitate it.

If you're as finicky about having your paperwork and whiteboard match as I am (and it sounds like you might be), make your whiteboard list the whole 20 person roster as well.

Offline Darkjester

• Has Too Much Damn Time Member
  • Stats Sheet: 39
  • "When in doubt, RTFM"
  • League Affiliation: Beach Brawl SK8R Dolls
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2013, 08:46:26 pm »
I respectfully disagree with the above (Just my personal opinion)

Less chance for errors if you remove the extraneous 6 skaters from the white board.
Madness Tolls
69¢
Beach Brawl Sk8R Dolls
Fort Walton Beach FL

Offline Megapickle

• Stats Sheet: 16
  • League Affiliation: Emerald City Roller Girls & Lane County Concussion
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2013, 09:20:12 pm »
And keep in mind, under the new rules, while some places are strategically eliminating the Inside Whiteboard, many others are simply shrinking it to maximize sight lines across the infield (ours is now 3x2 ft). And with that smaller board every square inch is valuable, so giving space to skaters not playing is sub-optimal. We actually do have a 3x2 board lined for 20 skaters (for scrimmage nights etc), and it's virtually unreadable from the benches.

Offline theMadStatter

• Stats Sheet: 1
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2013, 03:18:44 pm »
Keeping the full "how ever many as is on the paperwork" helps reduce errors though, since it matches exactly the penalty tracker and penalty box paperwork (so you can go through and reconcile "0, 3, 0, 0, 2,…" and everything lines up without having to mentally skip the deleted skaters - basically "pattern match the sideways skyline")

(and nothing is more frustrating than when a single skater is accidently left off the IWB and has to be put at the bottom mid bout, leaving everything almost, but not quite, in order).

Offline Samuel Bergus

• League Affiliation: Old Capitol City Roller Girls
  • NSO Certification Level: Level 3
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2013, 06:29:15 pm »
Keeping the full "how ever many as is on the paperwork" helps reduce errors though, since it matches exactly the penalty tracker and penalty box paperwork (so you can go through and reconcile "0, 3, 0, 0, 2,…" and everything lines up without having to mentally skip the deleted skaters - basically "pattern match the sideways skyline")

That's my thought process. It also makes my life much easier, as I don't have to keep bugging people for rosters. I grab the list of 20 skaters for each team from the sanctioning paperwork, and I'm done. If either team tells me that there is no chance a certain skater will not be skating in a game (due to injury, or they won't be traveling, etc.) I will remove them at that point.

Obviously this is only an option for sanctioned games, but to answer the OP, I would handle a regulation game similarly. I might get a lineup with 14 rostered skaters, and two alts (or six alts), but I will list them all in Alphanumeric order. While it's true you'll end up with skaters who aren't skating being listed, it makes it much easier to find 1124 when it's listed where it should be, between 111 and 123, and not below AK47.

While the stats book has a note denoting slots 15-20 of the IRBF is for alts, the stats book doesn't care how you list alts. It will treat a skater who doesn't appear on the lineup sheets the same, whether she is listed as player number 1 or player number 20.

Featured Product

Zebra Huddle Head Referee Bout Booklet

Featured Classifieds

ZH Files

How to Score a Point in Roller Derby
Rating: *****
Downloads: 3926
Views: 6408
Filesize: 327.61KB
Date: January 17, 2017, 04:21:03 am
Comments (0)
By: AdamSmasher
June 2013 Ruleset situational questions
Downloads: 2550
Views: 5261
Filesize: 29.71KB
Date: February 07, 2014, 04:57:32 pm
Comments (2)
By: Crash Test Ref
Rules Q&A and Publications for 6/15/13 Document
Rating: (None)
Downloads: 2745
Views: 5874
Filesize: 26.27KB
Date: August 02, 2013, 04:10:40 pm
Comments (0)
By: Shaun Ketterman
Rules Q&A and Publications for 1/1/13 Document (4/24/13 Updates)
Downloads: 3537
Views: 5869
Filesize: 28.07KB
Date: April 25, 2013, 05:45:34 pm
Comments (0)
By: Shaun Ketterman