Re: Rule clarification by Bluebeard
January 17, 2020, 05:26:46 am

Rule clarification by 3Beers
December 28, 2019, 06:04:00 pm

Re: Resources for new referees. by Destructor
November 29, 2019, 01:13:40 pm

Resources for new referees. by Destructor
November 26, 2019, 06:01:48 pm

Author Topic: Lineup tracking for a substituting player  (Read 3139 times)

Offline Freddie Merciless

• Stats Sheet: 0
  • League Affiliation: Copenhagen Roller Derby
  • Referee Certification Level: Not Certified
  • NSO Certification Level: Not Certified
Lineup tracking for a substituting player
« on: May 30, 2013, 10:51:46 pm »
I'm very new to lineup tracking and I am on shaky grounds here. I have tried finding an answer in the rules but nothing seemed to make sense in regards to my question. (Not that it usually makes perfect sense ..)

This is a hypothetical situation that relates to the lineup tracking paperwork. I have never seen it happen - but I'm pretty sure it could happen.

Skater #1 fouls out because of seven penalty minutes at the very start of a jam. According to rule 7.4.1.2, she is substituted by skater #2. Skater #2 serves the penalty but is not recorded in the papers as being in the box, so she is not part of the line up. What happens if she enters the track in the jam and gets a penalty on her own accord? Do you make a new line up for the same jam with her as the role of the blocker/pivot/jammer she is substituting for?

Offline Eject You Later

• Stats Sheet: 24
  • League Affiliation: Old Capitol City Roller Girls
  • Referee Certification Level: Level 2
Re: Lineup tracking for a substituting player
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2013, 11:24:08 pm »
Skater #1 fouls out because of seven penalty minutes at the very start of a jam. According to rule 7.4.1.2, she is substituted by skater #2. Skater #2 serves the penalty but is not recorded in the papers as being in the box, so she is not part of the line up. What happens if she enters the track in the jam and gets a penalty on her own accord? Do you make a new line up for the same jam with her as the role of the blocker/pivot/jammer she is substituting for?

Substitutions are not allowed during the jam.  If the player that fouled out still has time left on her penalty when the jam is completed, then a substitute will be placed in the penalty box to complete her remaining time.

If her penalty time expires during the jam then her team skates short for the remainder of the jam.

[rule]7.2.1.1 - Penalized skaters must be substituted in the case of a skater who has been injured, fouled out, or expelled (see Section 7.4.1.2, Section 7.4.4, and Section 10.3.1 respectively). These substitutions may only take place between jams. A skater who has fouled out or has been expelled is not permitted to return to play and that skater’s team must skate a skater short for the remainder of the jam.[/rule]
Eject You Later - Referee
Old Capitol City Roller Girls of Coralville, IA
WFTDA Member League
Zebra Huddle Referee Verifier

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2013, 07:53:41 am »

Substitutions are not allowed during the jam.  If the player that fouled out still has time left on her penalty when the jam is completed, then a substitute will be placed in the penalty box to complete her remaining time.

If her penalty time expires during the jam then her team skates short for the remainder of the jam.

[rule]7.2.1.1 - Penalized skaters must be substituted in the case of a skater who has been injured, fouled out, or expelled (see Section 7.4.1.2, Section 7.4.4, and Section 10.3.1 respectively). These substitutions may only take place between jams. A skater who has fouled out or has been expelled is not permitted to return to play and that skater’s team must skate a skater short for the remainder of the jam.[/rule]

Thank you for clarification. The wording of the rule seems wrong to me. When you say "If her penalty time expires during the jam then her team skates short for the remainder of the jam", does it refer to skater #2?

Offline Nick Bergus

• Stats Sheet: 10
  • Referee Certification Level: Level 2
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2013, 12:44:18 pm »
It would go something like this:

Jam starts.

Black Blocker 101 immediately commits and is issued a forearm (or whatever) major.

Penalty tracker notifies the head referee that Black Blocker 101 has seven penalty trips.

The head referee drops the pack to the other IPR, heads to the box and informs the sitting Black Blocker 101 that she has fouled out, and pulls her out of the box (she can remove her skates and whatnot and watch the remainder of the game from the audience).

The penalty timer continues to time the penalty as if Black Blocker 101 is still in the box. (Some crews use a small cone or pull a chair back to mark that the seat is taken).

When Black Blocker 101's time is complete, there is no skater in the box to release to play, and there can't be a mid-jam substitute, so Black will be down a blocker until the jam ends.

If, on the other hand, the jam is called while Black Blocker 101 still has time remaining on her penalty service, Black should substitute a skater in the box between jams, say Black 456. This time in the box does not count against Black 456's penalty cap of seven, and she can be released into play when the time owed is complete.

Make sense?
WFTDA-certified referee, level 2
Zebra Huddle moderator

Offline Samuel Bergus

• NSO Certification Level: Level 3
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2013, 01:06:32 pm »
In the case Uri laid out, the lineup sheet would look like this.

Note that blocker 101 reported to the box in the first pass, and never left, but blocker 216 started in the box. I would recommend the lineup tracker write a note off to the side of this jam explaining that 101 fouled out, and was replaced by 216. (I recommend lots of notes on lineup tracking sheets).

For comparison, blocker 19 reported to the box in the fourth pass, didn't foul out, so she started the next jam in the box.

This is the way I think it should be done, I would love someone to correct me if I am wrong

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2013, 11:33:57 am »
It would go something like this:

Jam starts.

Black Blocker 101 immediately commits and is issued a forearm (or whatever) major.

Penalty tracker notifies the head referee that Black Blocker 101 has seven penalty trips.

The head referee drops the pack to the other IPR, heads to the box and informs the sitting Black Blocker 101 that she has fouled out, and pulls her out of the box (she can remove her skates and whatnot and watch the remainder of the game from the audience).

The penalty timer continues to time the penalty as if Black Blocker 101 is still in the box. (Some crews use a small cone or pull a chair back to mark that the seat is taken).

When Black Blocker 101's time is complete, there is no skater in the box to release to play, and there can't be a mid-jam substitute, so Black will be down a blocker until the jam ends.

If, on the other hand, the jam is called while Black Blocker 101 still has time remaining on her penalty service, Black should substitute a skater in the box between jams, say Black 456. This time in the box does not count against Black 456's penalty cap of seven, and she can be released into play when the time owed is complete.

Make sense?

This makes perfect sense. Thank you, Nick.

And Samuel, the illustration is great. Ta!

Featured Product

Zebra Huddle Head Referee Bout Booklet

Featured Classifieds

ZH Files

How to Score a Point in Roller Derby
Rating: *****
Downloads: 4473
Views: 7528
Filesize: 327.61KB
Date: January 17, 2017, 04:21:03 am
Comments (0)
By: AdamSmasher
June 2013 Ruleset situational questions
Downloads: 2991
Views: 6093
Filesize: 29.71KB
Date: February 07, 2014, 04:57:32 pm
Comments (2)
By: Crash Test Ref
Rules Q&A and Publications for 6/15/13 Document
Rating: (None)
Downloads: 3188
Views: 7024
Filesize: 26.27KB
Date: August 02, 2013, 04:10:40 pm
Comments (0)
By: Shaun Ketterman
Rules Q&A and Publications for 1/1/13 Document (4/24/13 Updates)
Downloads: 3997
Views: 9044
Filesize: 28.07KB
Date: April 25, 2013, 05:45:34 pm
Comments (0)
By: Shaun Ketterman