Re: Rule clarification by Bluebeard
January 17, 2020, 05:26:46 am

Rule clarification by 3Beers
December 28, 2019, 06:04:00 pm

Re: Resources for new referees. by Destructor
November 29, 2019, 01:13:40 pm

Resources for new referees. by Destructor
November 26, 2019, 06:01:48 pm

Author Topic: How does a HNSO fit in with other league roles?  (Read 2149 times)

Offline MissDMeanour

• Stats Sheet: 0
  • League Affiliation: Sydney Roller Derby League/Inner West Roller Derby League
  • Referee Certification Level: Not Certified
  • NSO Certification Level: Not Certified
How does a HNSO fit in with other league roles?
« on: June 12, 2013, 07:56:15 am »
My league has an Officials Coordinator and a Head NSO (me) as well as a Head Ref. For a start is that too many positions? Our league is fairly small and currently only has enough for a travel team.

The Officials Coordinator staffs bouts with Refs and NSOs and the Head NSO trains NSOs at scrimmage. The main duties of the Head Ref is to run the actual scrimmages and train refs.

A lot of communication with NSOs as to when scrimmage is on and NSOs are needed is conducted by the officials coordinator. My feelings are that this should be done through the HNSO. Is that right?

The arrangement has been informal so far and I'm looking to discuss this and formalise this either with the league or the Officials Coordinator.

Any thoughts?

Miss D'Meanour

Offline NSjOe

• Stats Sheet: 0
  • League Affiliation: Des Moines Derby Dames
Re: How does a HNSO fit in with other league roles?
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2013, 04:10:33 pm »
My league has a "Director of Officials", who is a board member, and happens to be the team referree.  He coordinates the scheduling of refs for each bout, and works with the visiting teams for staffing.  He also handles any officiating questions from the team and covers new rules, etc.

I became the HNSO this year, and I have taken on the duties of arranging NSO coverage for the bouts using our "home" NSOs.  I manage the officiating equipment, and complete the stats books after the bout.  I also assist in practice as JT, and some basic reffing (Lead Jammer, Call Offs, etc.). 

Offline ShoNuff

• Stats Sheet: 29
  • League Affiliation: Mad Rollin' Dolls
  • Referee Certification Level: Not Certified
  • NSO Certification Level: Level 4
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2013, 11:42:02 pm »
For communication of events and needs, be careful not to fragment your communication chain too badly.  Too many points of contact can be confusing to the rest of your league when they are trying to decide who to inform of officiating needs and can cause things to get missed. 

As to how you divide up positions within your officiating crew, divide the work up enough that you aren't burning people out having to take on too much.

The size of your officiating crew is likely to matter more than the size of your league.

Your league may have a single team, but the officiating crew is likely to require as much administrative support as any team and it may require more.

Offline Numb3r Crunch3r

• Stats Sheet: 13
  • League Affiliation: Sun State Roller Girls
  • Referee Certification Level: Level 2
  • NSO Certification Level: Not Certified
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2013, 11:58:22 pm »
Agreed on not breaking the chain too much. No matter how many roles you have (whether it's one, or ten), make sure that each person has their own designated list of duties/responsibilities, so that there's no instances of too many chiefs - each person knows when to say 'that's actually better raised with X person'.

As a start, it seems like yours is a solid set-up wherein the head ref oversees the training and staffing of refs, the head NSO oversees the training and staffing of NSOs and the keeping of equipment, and the officials co-ordinator does all the admin things (including being an advocate in raising things to the committee, and also including inter-league liaisons - determining the restrictions of the contract and then contacting head ref/NSO for staff as required).

You can further divide it however you like - for example the league head ref/NSO doesn't have to be the head ref/NSO of every game, and thus for a couple of hours there'll be a 4th and 5th person in charge, but their responsibilities are restricted to the game itself. It doesn't matter, as long as everyone has their own role, and it works for you and your league.

Featured Product

Zebra Huddle Head Referee Bout Booklet

Featured Classifieds

ZH Files

How to Score a Point in Roller Derby
Rating: *****
Downloads: 4460
Views: 7502
Filesize: 327.61KB
Date: January 17, 2017, 04:21:03 am
Comments (0)
By: AdamSmasher
June 2013 Ruleset situational questions
Downloads: 2977
Views: 6084
Filesize: 29.71KB
Date: February 07, 2014, 04:57:32 pm
Comments (2)
By: Crash Test Ref
Rules Q&A and Publications for 6/15/13 Document
Rating: (None)
Downloads: 3179
Views: 7006
Filesize: 26.27KB
Date: August 02, 2013, 04:10:40 pm
Comments (0)
By: Shaun Ketterman
Rules Q&A and Publications for 1/1/13 Document (4/24/13 Updates)
Downloads: 3988
Views: 9030
Filesize: 28.07KB
Date: April 25, 2013, 05:45:34 pm
Comments (0)
By: Shaun Ketterman