WFTDA 3/1/2014 Rules

Donate

Please Support Zebra Huddle!

Recent Posts

Re: Jammer Scoring Theory by Major Wood
June 26, 2019, 09:59:33 pm

Jammer Scoring Theory by Rego_Derby
June 25, 2019, 04:30:03 am

Re: Clamping down with the upper arm by bmd (2113)
June 12, 2019, 07:54:29 pm

Re: Ref facepaint by Major Wood
June 12, 2019, 04:16:34 pm

Re: Ref facepaint by Rego_Derby
June 11, 2019, 11:35:08 pm

Re: Ref facepaint by Axis of Stevil
June 10, 2019, 06:56:10 pm

Re: Ref facepaint by Major Wood
June 10, 2019, 01:49:04 pm

Ref facepaint by Rego_Derby
June 09, 2019, 03:38:38 pm

Re: Answering a directional with forearms by Major Wood
April 30, 2019, 07:44:47 pm

Answering a directional with forearms by Rego_Derby
April 30, 2019, 05:56:20 pm

Author Topic: False Start  (Read 11445 times)

Offline JoeXCore

• Superhero Member
  • Stats Sheet: 20
  • Will go anywhere to which I can afford to travel.
Re: False Start
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2009, 04:57:24 am »
Spending some time with the rules under the microscope.

2.4.4.2   ...They are subject to false start penalties if they are not behind the Pivot line and in front of the Jammer line (see Section 6.12.4 for specific penalty details)...

6.12.4.2.2   is touching behind the Jammer line

With all of the specificity of ON or BEHIND the jammer line in the rules, here's a contradiction.
Black n Bluegrass Roller Girls - head referee
MRDA Recognized Refree

Offline Major Wood

• Administrator
  • Has Too Much Damn Time Member
  • Stats Sheet: 77
  • League Affiliation: Nashville Rollergirls
  • Referee Certification Level: Level 5
  • NSO Certification Level: Not Certified
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2009, 05:07:18 am »
I'm not sure I see the contradiction. What is being stated is that the front edge of the pivot line and the back edge of the jammer line are the actual boundaries of where pivots and non-pivot blockers may position themselves when a jam starts.
Your friendly Zebra Huddle admin.

Nashville Roller Derby Head Ref
WFTDA Level 5 Certified Referee

I speak only of my opinions and interpretations.

Offline Treble Damage

• Stats Sheet: 1
« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2009, 06:09:56 am »
Speaking of false starting I just noticed a change in wording.

6.12.4.1   A Jammer false starts for being out of position at the Jammer starting whistle when she is touching beyond the Jammer line.

This means no longer does a jammer get a penalty for false starting if she starts on the pack whistle and then returns behind the jammer line before the jammer whistle.

Oof.  I'm sure someone will correct me if I am wrong, but although I see your point with the text, I do not think this change was intended.

-Treble Damage
Charm City

Offline noidd

• Stats Sheet: 28
  • Start with 100% accuracy and get better over time.
« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2009, 01:53:55 pm »
Oof.  I'm sure someone will correct me if I am wrong, but although I see your point with the text, I do not think this change was intended.

What do you think the intent of the change in language was?

--
Referees are not here to legislate, dictate, pontificate or participate.  We are there only to facilitate.

Offline JoeXCore

• Superhero Member
« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2009, 02:46:04 pm »
I'm not sure I see the contradiction. What is being stated is that the front edge of the pivot line and the back edge of the jammer line are the actual boundaries of where pivots and non-pivot blockers may position themselves when a jam starts.

You say the back edge of the jammer line... as in the blocker may line up ON the jamme line... as long as she is not behind it?

That doesn't match up with 2.4.4.2 which says she is subject to penalties if she is not "in front of the jammer line"

But then 6.12.4.2.2 agrees with you saying she "false starts for being out of position at the pack starting whistle when she... is touching behind the Jammer line"

The rules now very specifically acknowledge 3 relationships with the starting lines.

In front of
Behind
On

You know... I gotta go through these things with a fine toothed comb to be prepared for when I deal with a coach that has done the same. (I deal with some of those)
MRDA Recognized Refree

Offline JoeXCore

• Superhero Member
« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2009, 02:51:26 pm »
Speaking of false starting I just noticed a change in wording.

6.12.4.1   A Jammer false starts for being out of position at the Jammer starting whistle when she is touching beyond the Jammer line.

This means no longer does a jammer get a penalty for false starting if she starts on the pack whistle and then returns behind the jammer line before the jammer whistle.

-Treble Damage
Charm City

Intended or not if someone calls a penalty on someone that is completely behind the jammer line at the jammer start whistle... wouldn't they be wrong? It's pretty clear "when she is touching beyond the Jammer line."
MRDA Recognized Refree

Offline Cliquework

• Superhero Member
  • Stats Sheet: 55
  • EGO sum Speculum. Noxiae poena par esto.
  • League Affiliation: Demolition City Roller Derby
  • Referee Certification Level: Level 3
« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2009, 03:29:14 pm »
It seems an awfully specific language choice to be unintended. Also makes sense. How can a Jammer false start if the Jammers haven't started.

Being ON (or off) the track at the first whistle being a different story altogether.

Edit: Upon looking back at the previous rule wording, it seems as if it (the previous rule) was (or could have been)  intended to be this "new" way, but left the door open for false starting anytime before the Jammer start whistle. Door now closed and clarified.

« Last Edit: May 08, 2009, 04:30:28 pm by Cliquework »
Demolition City Roller Derby Head Ref
Evansville, IN
Zebra Huddle Moderator
WFTDA Refcert Checklist

Offline Stegoscorus

• Stats Sheet: 51
  • STOP. Collaborate, and listen.
  • League Affiliation: Rose City Rollers
« Reply #22 on: May 08, 2009, 04:35:37 pm »
I can't speak at all to the intention of the wording, but it may help to remember that different members of WFTDA Rules Committee write different sections of the rules.  Occasionally this kind of thing happens, where minutiae don't match up.  Of course it's proofread by the member leagues, but we're not perfect either.  It's just part of the charm of being a grassroots organization.   ;)

Or maybe that's not what happened here at all, what the heck do I know?
WFTDA Certified Referee - Level 3
Founding Member, ARROW
Portland, OR, U.S.A.

Offline Treble Damage

« Reply #23 on: May 08, 2009, 04:37:48 pm »
It seems an awfully specific language choice to be unintended. Also makes sense. How can a Jammer false start if the Jammers haven't started.

Well....  Isn't that exactly what a false start is?  A Jammer starting before the Jammers are supposed to start?

I think it's unintended because of this:

2.4.4.1 Jammers are considered in position and ready if they are in bounds when the first whistle of the jam (i.e., the whistle to start the pack rolling) is blown. Jammers are subject to false start penalties if they are not on or behind the Jammer line (see Section 6.12.4 for specific penalty details).  

My honest belief, and I mean no disrespect to anyone, is that the language of 6.12.4.1 was likely copied from the blocker false start language, and the designation of the whistle was changed maybe while someone wasn't reading as carefully as usual at that moment - either that or they said "Jammer starting whistle" when they meant "Jam starting whistle."  

Like I say, I may be wrong, and I welcome anyone more knowledgeable to disagree.  But I believe that the intent of the rules is that a false start minor will be issued to a Jammer who is in front of the jammer line at any time between the pack whistle and the jammer whistle.

But where that leaves us, I don't know.  Until told otherwise, the text of the rules is what it is.  Based on the text of the rules, I cannot say JoeXCore would be wrong to call it the way he suggests (although I think 2.4.4.1 also gives enough ammunition to call it the other way, pending further clarification).

-Treble Damage
Charm City

Offline Cliquework

• Superhero Member
  • Stats Sheet: 55
  • EGO sum Speculum. Noxiae poena par esto.
  • League Affiliation: Demolition City Roller Derby
« Reply #24 on: May 08, 2009, 05:03:15 pm »
I just meant before the Jammers even "have" started, not before they're supposed to, which yes is a false start. It's just that now the "before they're supposed to" is written as the Jammer whistle itself (in the penalty section of of course), not anytime between the two.

But yes, I get what you're saying and I certainly have no background knowledge of as to why it is this way or what was the original intent, or if it's merely an editing accident. I'm just making my interpretation on the side of the coin that is mentioned in the penalty section as opposed to 2.4.4.1, which does go on to say (see Section 6.12.4 for specific penalty details).
« Last Edit: May 08, 2009, 05:06:46 pm by Cliquework »
Demolition City Roller Derby Head Ref
Evansville, IN
Zebra Huddle Moderator
WFTDA Refcert Checklist

Offline Professor Murder

• Stats Sheet: 42
  • Insert Witticism Here.
« Reply #25 on: May 08, 2009, 05:10:09 pm »
I'm, like Wood, not seeing the problem or contradiction.  There are standards that measure false start differentially for blockers, pivot blockers, and jammers.

Different standards for different positions is different.  Not contradictory.
Philly Roller Girls
WFTDA Interim Games Officer
WFTDA Certified Referee: Level 5
"100% Less Dancing" - Dr. Vroom

Offline JoeXCore

• Superhero Member
« Reply #26 on: May 08, 2009, 06:48:31 pm »
I'm, like Wood, not seeing the problem or contradiction.  There are standards that measure false start differentially for blockers, pivot blockers, and jammers.

Different standards for different positions is different.  Not contradictory.

both 6.12.4.2.2 and 2.4.4.2 are referring to blockers.

2.4.4.2 says they are subject to penalties if they are not in front of the jammer line and 6.12.4.2.2 says when she is touching behind the jammer line.

2.4.4.2 implies they may not be ON the jammer line, since they must be in front of it
6.12.4.2.2 says they won't get a penalty unless they're behind it
MRDA Recognized Refree

Offline Professor Murder

• Stats Sheet: 42
  • Insert Witticism Here.
« Reply #27 on: May 08, 2009, 07:09:20 pm »
Based on the need to find implication to support the existence of a contradiction, along with the parenthetical clause in 2.4.4.2 clearly stating that the "specific penalty details" are located in 6.12.4, I disagree.
Philly Roller Girls
WFTDA Interim Games Officer
WFTDA Certified Referee: Level 5
"100% Less Dancing" - Dr. Vroom

Offline Jonathan Lee

• Stats Sheet: 22
« Reply #28 on: May 08, 2009, 07:36:42 pm »
Follow 6.12.4.1

In general, always go by what is listed under the "TYPES OF PENALTIES" section
Bay Area Derby Girls, head referee :: WFTDA Certified Referee, Level 3

Offline Treble Damage

« Reply #29 on: May 08, 2009, 08:54:42 pm »
Could a moderator split this thread?  There's two distinct issues being discussed here, and I don't think that's clear.

Issue 1: Will a blocker be awarded a false start penalty if she is touching the jammer line, but is not behind it?

Issue 2: Will a jammer be awarded a false start minor if she is in front of the jammer line at the time the pack whistle blows (or if she crosses the jammer line before the jammer whistle blows), but then realizes her mistake and repositions herself such that she is behind the jammer line at the time the jammer whistle blows?

Thanks
Treble Damage
Charm City

Featured Product

Zebra Huddle Head Referee Bout Booklet

Featured Classifieds

ZH Files

How to Score a Point in Roller Derby
Rating: *****
Downloads: 3177
Views: 5026
Filesize: 327.61KB
Date: January 17, 2017, 04:21:03 am
Comments (0)
By: AdamSmasher
June 2013 Ruleset situational questions
Downloads: 2279
Views: 4695
Filesize: 29.71KB
Date: February 07, 2014, 04:57:32 pm
Comments (2)
By: Crash Test Ref
Rules Q&A and Publications for 6/15/13 Document
Rating: (None)
Downloads: 2431
Views: 5224
Filesize: 26.27KB
Date: August 02, 2013, 04:10:40 pm
Comments (0)
By: Shaun Ketterman
Rules Q&A and Publications for 1/1/13 Document (4/24/13 Updates)
Downloads: 3218
Views: 5243
Filesize: 28.07KB
Date: April 25, 2013, 05:45:34 pm
Comments (0)
By: Shaun Ketterman