Re: Rule clarification by 3Beers
January 26, 2020, 08:09:00 pm

Re: Rule clarification by Bluebeard
January 17, 2020, 05:26:46 am

Rule clarification by 3Beers
December 28, 2019, 06:04:00 pm

Re: Resources for new referees. by Destructor
November 29, 2019, 01:13:40 pm

Author Topic: League membership fees for NSOs?  (Read 5540 times)

Offline BrawlAtreides

• Stats Sheet: 0
League membership fees for NSOs?
« on: September 23, 2013, 06:22:20 pm »
Hey all,

My league is introducing fees for NSOs and I was quite surprised and taken aback to learn that it's £15 ($24) a month.

I am the only full non-skater (I have a chronic illness that means I can't) in my league and to be honest, they've not asked for NSOs at training sessions for around 4 months.

Do any other leagues charge this much? What are the perks? It just seems a lot to me :-/

Offline Darth Bling

• Referee
  • Stats Sheet: 6
  • Referee Certification Level: Level 3
  • NSO Certification Level: Level 2
Re: League membership fees for NSOs?
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2013, 06:49:56 pm »
My league doesn't charge membership dues for volunteers. This includes officials, announcers, DJs, board members, coaches etc.  Only the skaters (which includes our training program and our recreational league) get charged dues.  Also, if the skaters work enough volunteer hours each month, they get a discount on their monthly dues.

Offline LoisDeGogh

• League Affiliation: Roc City Roller Derby (19th Wardens)
  • Referee Certification Level: Not Certified
  • NSO Certification Level: Not Certified
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2013, 07:50:22 pm »
Our league has an optional yearly membership for "Volunteers" - Refs, NSOs, Bout Production, announcers, etc; vs the monthly dues paid by the skaters.
If a Ref, NSO, dedicated volunteer has an interest in serving on the BoD for the league, they will have to pay the yearly membership dues... as well they have voting rights for that year. As one who is invested in the direction of the league and wants my voice to be heard, I have no problem paying the dues. There are some who, out of principle, do not pay the dues as a means of maintaining their impartiality in officiating.
Me? I'm just another duck on the pond.

Offline HIM-roid

• Stats Sheet: 14
  • League Affiliation: Mississippi Rollergirls
  • Referee Certification Level: Level 2
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2013, 01:05:47 am »
The league I am affiliated with does not charge Officials dues. This was brought up and we told them that if we are paying dues, we want full voting rights. For some reason, they decided we had the OPTION to pay a reduced amount for limited voting rights. We all OPTED to not pay anything. I would ask the league what do you get for your membership dues? Is it the right to come out and help the skaters at scrimmage? Bouts? What? Maybe they have something worthy to offer you in return, maybe they don't.
HIM-roid
WFTDA Apprentice Officials Area Coordinator
Head of Officiating
Mississippi Rollergirls
WFTDA-Certified Referee, Level 2
WFTDA Officials Apprentice Program Area Coordinator

Offline Megapickle

• Stats Sheet: 16
  • League Affiliation: Emerald City Roller Girls & Lane County Concussion
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2013, 01:33:08 am »
What they said. The optional pay-to-vote thing is fairly common. And yes, most officials tend to opt out, letting the skaters alone handle the league-wide votes. We accept the fact that we play a supporting role. :-)

It's also fairly common to then allow some officials-only or officials-included votes to happen on official-specific business, with no dues required.

But regardless, don't allow them to charge dues to NSOs simply to be called league NSOs. That would be unheard of, far as I know. And with only 1 pure NSO, they need to be actively fostering every one they can get. Maybe they don't fully realize the value of dedicated high quality NSOs (which would not be unheard of, as you probably know).

Offline BrawlAtreides

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2013, 02:54:30 pm »
Thanks for your thoughts  :) I scoured the web and the only thing I found was one league charging their refs $20 a year. Could find *nothing* about charging NSOs.

It, personally, doesn't sit right with me - I didn't mention that the skaters pay £30 ($45) per month for two 2 hour training sessions each week. So paying half that for the privilege of volunteering, to do what I've known to be 10 minutes a week of looking at a stopwatch...

Doesn't really sit right. ??? We're a small league of 25-30 people. Maybe I'd understand if we were under the WFTDA as an apprentice league, or if we were London Roller Girls but erm... we're not. o.O

Offline Samuel Bergus

• League Affiliation: Old Capitol City Roller Girls
  • NSO Certification Level: Level 3
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2013, 03:07:34 pm »
We're a small league of 25-30 people.

One question you might want to ask, maybe the league is having problems keeping the doors open, and are looking to increase their cash flow.

I know I would be more than happy to pay dues and become a full league member (with voting rights, etc.) if it came to either having the officials pay dues, and keep the league viable, or continue skating for free, for a league which was no longer able to afford practice space.

Offline Bishop

• Superhero Member
  • Stats Sheet: 51
  • Quoth the raven, "Nevermore."
  • League Affiliation: Unaffiliated
  • Referee Certification Level: Level 2
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2013, 03:47:43 pm »
We're a small league of 25-30 people.

One question you might want to ask, maybe the league is having problems keeping the doors open, and are looking to increase their cash flow.

I know I would be more than happy to pay dues and become a full league member (with voting rights, etc.) if it came to either having the officials pay dues, and keep the league viable, or continue skating for free, for a league which was no longer able to afford practice space.

I appreciate when leagues give referees the opportunity to become league members.  I expect that sort of privilege to cost $.  I oppose mandatory league membership and/or dues for volunteers.  Frankly, the "keeping the league viable" is an excuse that I don't think is ever justified.  It's an opportunity for leagues to use their creativity to figure out what's working and what's not with their league.  Also, it's important to understand that once a league adopts required dues (or has them since their beginning) the dues will not go away.  Put simply, it's a crutch.

I think it's far far more important for leagues to understand the frame of the skater/volunteer relationship.  Requiring the volunteers pay money blurs that relationship and compromises the volunteer's impartiality.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2013, 04:02:31 pm by Bishop »
Recommended Resources:WFTDA Rules Central, WFTDA officiating & Successful Sports Officiating
Propose rule changes at timeout.wftda.com.

Offline Hard G

• League Affiliation: Houston Roller Derby
  • NSO Certification Level: Level 2
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2013, 06:13:12 pm »

I'm affiliated with the largest league in town, in which we have over 100 skaters. Skaters pay dues, officials (on and off skates) do not.  Then I also practice with a smaller league, one I started out originally with, and they are about 40 members... Everybody pays dues, officials pay a reduced amount. Off skates officials are not required to pay, though on skates are (or better said are asked politely to do so), as the rink is charging a flat rental rate, or an X amount per skating person (anyone wearing skates, regardless status) on the floor.

Smaller leagues just need the money to survive.

G.

Offline tweedle_damn

« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2013, 10:05:09 pm »
When I started NSOing for my league.  Both Refs and NSOs paid $15/month while the skaters paid $30/month.  It allowed us the opportunity to be full members of the league without questions. 
At the time, all dues went to pay for use of the rink and I didn't mind paying because I knew the team was strapped for cash and I like to help (no rink = no NSO).  The officials attended all practices, during times we were "not needed" we would sit and talk about derby, recruiting new people, upcoming bouts, weekend plans, etc.

After 2 years, the team grew, has plenty of income, and the BoD decided that Refs and NSOs no longer need to pay, yet we still maintain full membership to the league.  Plus, I was requested to accept the title of Head NSO and start a training program for new skaters & officials.

It is a shame that they are asking you to start paying after so much time of volunteer help.  So, I would suggest talking to the BoD and negotiate.
-- Why are they asking you to pay
-- Clearly define what is expected of you and what you can expect from the team.
--
-- If you do pay, you ARE a member of the league and entitled to all it's benefits (attend meetings, vote, etc)

Offline PandoraBlocksEm

• League Affiliation: Geraldton Roller Derby
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2013, 08:15:02 am »
For our 2014 season our non-skaters will be $25, our skaters $75.
We are a brand new league so still trying to cover all set up costs
Derby love,
Pandora Blocks'Em

Creator & Host of Cutting The Track, a roller derby podcast.
Skater with Geraldton Roller Derby, Australia

Featured Product

Zebra Huddle Head Referee Bout Booklet

Featured Classifieds

ZH Files

How to Score a Point in Roller Derby
Rating: *****
Downloads: 4506
Views: 7633
Filesize: 327.61KB
Date: January 17, 2017, 04:21:03 am
Comments (0)
By: AdamSmasher
June 2013 Ruleset situational questions
Downloads: 3011
Views: 6188
Filesize: 29.71KB
Date: February 07, 2014, 04:57:32 pm
Comments (2)
By: Crash Test Ref
Rules Q&A and Publications for 6/15/13 Document
Rating: (None)
Downloads: 3215
Views: 7137
Filesize: 26.27KB
Date: August 02, 2013, 04:10:40 pm
Comments (0)
By: Shaun Ketterman
Rules Q&A and Publications for 1/1/13 Document (4/24/13 Updates)
Downloads: 4037
Views: 9158
Filesize: 28.07KB
Date: April 25, 2013, 05:45:34 pm
Comments (0)
By: Shaun Ketterman