Re: "Pincer" blocks = multipayer? by Bluebeard
July 11, 2019, 06:30:49 pm

"Pincer" blocks = multipayer? by Rego_Derby
July 11, 2019, 01:08:36 am

Re: Jammer Scoring Theory by Major Wood
June 26, 2019, 09:59:33 pm

Jammer Scoring Theory by Rego_Derby
June 25, 2019, 04:30:03 am

Re: Clamping down with the upper arm by bmd (2113)
June 12, 2019, 07:54:29 pm

Re: Ref facepaint by Major Wood
June 12, 2019, 04:16:34 pm

Author Topic: Referees unite and respond!  (Read 4351 times)

Offline Bishop

• Superhero Member
  • Stats Sheet: 51
  • Quoth the raven, "Nevermore."
  • League Affiliation: Unaffiliated
  • Referee Certification Level: Level 2
  • NSO Certification Level: Not Certified
Referees unite and respond!
« on: May 15, 2009, 03:00:17 pm »
I decided to take a break from studying up on 4.0 rules and post a link to this "piece" on roller derby in the Metro Pulse, "Knoxville's Own Demolition Derby".   I've seen a lot of heated responses from roller girls to this article and one or two from referees.   Still, I'd like to see more referees respond.  There are some intelligent and eloquent writers on this forum and I would encourage them read the article and respond to the editor.  On a personal note, even though I am a very new referee, I've reffed bouts with the wonderful lady who was on the cover of this story.  She was rather upset about the whole thing.

http://www.metropulse.com/news/2009/may/13/knoxvilles-own-demolition-derby/   
« Last Edit: May 15, 2009, 03:35:04 pm by Bishop »
Recommended Resources:WFTDA Rules Central, WFTDA officiating & Successful Sports Officiating
Propose rule changes at timeout.wftda.com.

Offline lets get it Shawn

• Stats Sheet: 0
Re: Referees unite and respond!
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2009, 03:33:57 pm »
Thanks bishop for posting this I have seen a couple outstanding referees and there eloquent words on this post already. Thanks, all who has and will post on it I am sure that the girls of my league appreciate it, too. Subsequently, it made my blood boil when I read it the first time and even more when I saw the actual 11-page hard copy she was talking about; it is even worse. On a good note the unification of skaters and referees against this article, internationally, did give me warm fuzzes.   

<----tear swells up.....No I am a Referee I don't cry.....
Hard Knox Roller Girls
Head Referee
Knoxville TN

And on the 8th Day god created me and the Devil stood at attention!

Offline L8R SK8R

• Restricted User
  • Stats Sheet: -13
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2009, 03:58:02 pm »
I've already posted this in my league's Yahoo group, and on Facebook. Let the hailstorm continue!

The sad part is that with an editor who consider this crap to be called journalism, the hundred or more comments already posted will probably be chalked up by them as "disgruntled amateurs" or some similar BS.

And people wonder why newspapers are dropping like flies...

Offline Bishop

• Superhero Member
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2009, 04:15:12 pm »
The sad part is that with an editor who consider this crap to be called journalism, the hundred or more comments already posted will probably be chalked up by them as "disgruntled amateurs" or some similar BS.

Yeah, the unfortunate thing is that I get the feeling that that's what the writer was hoping for - the "shock value" of the story.  Passionate responses, while certainly understandable, may only serve to perpetuate misconceptions about the sport.  That's why I thought I'd enlist the help of referees who could potentially distance themselves from their emotional responses and provide thoughtful refutation to the story. 

Recommended Resources:WFTDA Rules Central, WFTDA officiating & Successful Sports Officiating

Offline Bishop

• Superhero Member
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2009, 09:12:39 pm »
On a good note the unification of skaters and referees against this article, internationally, did give me warm fuzzes.  

The geek in me is wondering if there has ever been a sport like the present incarnation of roller derby in the course of human history that has spread so far and so quickly.  It is truly a phenomenon fueled in part by the Internet.  When is someone going to write about that?

I'm not that familiar with articles written about the sport of roller derby so I don't know how common this libelous BS is.  However, I couldn't help but wonder if this article was a good sign - like maybe we're popular enough to pick on now.  

On a related note, I was on the local evening news last night explaining the rules of roller derby during a segment about my league.  I did my best and nothing I said that they aired was incorrect. <whew>  Actually, I think I gave them too much detail.  They aired a blurb of me explaining how points are scored - then cut away with the commentator saying, "so the rules aren't that simple."  ;D I had also went into great detail explaining legal blocking zones and target zones which they didn't air.  We'd been burned by some incorrect information about the sport in a local paper so I erred on the side of over-explaining.  Someone really needs to come up with a good "Roller Derby for Idiots" explanation in pamphlet form that we can hand to the media.  Oh, and they also showed me getting knocked on my butt during a hip check drill.  

Here's the video link for anyone who doesn't mind wading through the first few minutes of the evening news (snore):

[update: direct link to story] http://www.whsv.com/video/?autoStart=true&topVideoCatNo=default&clipId=3763009

The segment starts at 5:38 and my moment of glory begins at 7:30.  Of course, me being me, I get caught with my pants down - I didn't have a Fox40 whistle.  What I had is the most pathetic excuse for a whistle that you'll ever find.  If you listen closely (and I mean really closely), you hear the raspy whistley sound my whistle makes.  

I will say this, they did do a good job with the segment.  I thought it was a fair treatment of the sport and they sidestepped a lot of the cliches.

« Last Edit: May 29, 2009, 09:31:55 pm by Bishop »

Offline lets get it Shawn

• Stats Sheet: 0
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2009, 09:33:46 pm »
On a good note the unification of skaters and referees against this article, internationally, did give me warm fuzzes.   

The geek in me is wondering if there has ever been a sport like the present incarnation of roller derby in the course of human history that has spread so far and so quickly.  It is truly a phenomenon fueled in part by the Internet.  When is someone going to write about that?

I'm not that familiar with articles written about the sport of roller derby so I don't know how common this libelous BS is.  However, I couldn't help but wonder if this article was a good sign - like maybe we're popular enough to pick on now. 

I guess these are the better article and starting to become more of the norm; these were posted by annawrecksya. You should check them out :)

BOSTON GLOBE
"Four on the Floor"--outlines the backgrounds of some skaters, none of them are tattoo artists.
http://www.boston.com/lifestyle/artichttp://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/01/mag...

"The Dude of Roller Derby and His Vision"
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/12/18/spo...

CHICAGO TRIBUNE
"Rollers chase glory--and revenge"
http://www.chicagotribune.com/service...

ESPN
"Roller Derby Revival" (Nominated for an Emmy this year)
http://sports.espn.go.com/broadband/v...

NEWSWEEK
"Girls on Wheels"
http://www.newsweek.com/id/40211?bcpi...#?l=1785302026&t=1507768968
Hard Knox Roller Girls
Head Referee
Knoxville TN

And on the 8th Day god created me and the Devil stood at attention!

Offline Bishop

• Superhero Member
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2009, 09:53:16 pm »

I just checked IMDb and that Drew Barrymore movie "Whip it!" is scheduled for an October 9 release date.  If the movie does well at all, you can expect an onslaught of media attention focused on our sport.  Maybe we zebras should put our heads together a bit and think about how we can portray our sport in such a way that honors tradition, acknowledges its aesthetic, and yet touts its emergence as a legitimate sport. 

Offline Major Wood

• Administrator
  • Has Too Much Damn Time Member
  • Stats Sheet: 77
  • League Affiliation: Nashville Rollergirls
  • Referee Certification Level: Level 5
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2009, 07:14:14 pm »
As far as other sports spreading quickly, look at mixed martial arts (namely the UFC organization).
The UFC has been around since the early 90's and their rules (or lack thereof) made it difficult to find venues they would be allowed in. Over time, they tightened down the rules and made it a sport that requires much more skill than brute force. Though it has been around much longer than the modern incarnation of derby, mixed martial arts has exploded in popularity in the last few years. To the point where the fighters are able to make 6 digit purses for each fight, on top of their salaries.
Your friendly Zebra Huddle admin.

Nashville Roller Derby Head Ref
WFTDA Level 5 Certified Referee

I speak only of my opinions and interpretations.

Offline Bishop

• Superhero Member
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2009, 02:45:23 pm »

Offline ttjustice

• Stats Sheet: 18
  • And Justice for All!
  • League Affiliation: Ohio Roller Girls
  • Referee Certification Level: Not Certified
  • NSO Certification Level: Level 2
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2009, 04:33:41 pm »
Here is one that was done on our league I wasn't even aware was being filmed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gpDM6Vj1UJw

Timothy T. Justice
Ohio Roller Girls Head of Officiating 2011-2013
Retired Level 3 Skating Official
WFTDA Rules Theory Clerk

Offline Bishop

• Superhero Member
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2009, 05:23:42 pm »

I liked the tone of the report.  It almost reminded me of a BBC special or something.

CNN just posted a story and video on the Mason Dixon Roller Vixens.  My team is scheduled to scrimmage them this weekend.  I can't be certain but I think I spied DayGlo in the video clip.  It was a really quick glimpse, but I think it was her.  :) 

http://www.cnn.com/2009/HEALTH/05/18/health.minute.roller.derby/index.html?iref=mpstoryview#cnnSTCVideo
« Last Edit: May 18, 2009, 05:27:10 pm by Bishop »

Offline DayGlo Divine

• Stats Sheet: 39
  • Fighter of the Night Man, Champion of the Sun
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2009, 06:04:52 am »

I liked the tone of the report.  It almost reminded me of a BBC special or something.

CNN just posted a story and video on the Mason Dixon Roller Vixens.  My team is scheduled to scrimmage them this weekend.  I can't be certain but I think I spied DayGlo in the video clip.  It was a really quick glimpse, but I think it was her.  :) 

http://www.cnn.com/2009/HEALTH/05/18/health.minute.roller.derby/index.html?iref=mpstoryview#cnnSTCVideo

Guilty as charged. My dad's all thrilled and stuff.
WFTDA Certified Referee (Level 2)
Charm City Roller Girls
Opinions expressed here are mine. Not WFTDA's, not Charm City's, and not those of Zebra Huddle as a whole.

Offline the pantichrist

• Stats Sheet: 6
  • Referee Certification Level: Level 3
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2009, 05:01:46 pm »
Yup, I posted a couple of comments last week but I signed them with my real name.
WFTDA Officiating Education Director
WFTDA Certified L3
Memphis Roller Derby

Featured Product

Zebra Huddle Head Referee Bout Booklet

Featured Classifieds

ZH Files

How to Score a Point in Roller Derby
Rating: *****
Downloads: 3936
Views: 6458
Filesize: 327.61KB
Date: January 17, 2017, 04:21:03 am
Comments (0)
By: AdamSmasher
June 2013 Ruleset situational questions
Downloads: 2557
Views: 5300
Filesize: 29.71KB
Date: February 07, 2014, 04:57:32 pm
Comments (2)
By: Crash Test Ref
Rules Q&A and Publications for 6/15/13 Document
Rating: (None)
Downloads: 2753
Views: 5912
Filesize: 26.27KB
Date: August 02, 2013, 04:10:40 pm
Comments (0)
By: Shaun Ketterman
Rules Q&A and Publications for 1/1/13 Document (4/24/13 Updates)
Downloads: 3549
Views: 5906
Filesize: 28.07KB
Date: April 25, 2013, 05:45:34 pm
Comments (0)
By: Shaun Ketterman