Re: "Pincer" blocks = multipayer? by Bluebeard
July 11, 2019, 06:30:49 pm

"Pincer" blocks = multipayer? by Rego_Derby
July 11, 2019, 01:08:36 am

Re: Jammer Scoring Theory by Major Wood
June 26, 2019, 09:59:33 pm

Jammer Scoring Theory by Rego_Derby
June 25, 2019, 04:30:03 am

Re: Clamping down with the upper arm by bmd (2113)
June 12, 2019, 07:54:29 pm

Re: Ref facepaint by Major Wood
June 12, 2019, 04:16:34 pm

Re: Ref facepaint by Rego_Derby
June 11, 2019, 11:35:08 pm

Author Topic: Waving off the 3rd skater in the penalty box  (Read 2892 times)

Offline ttjustice

• Stats Sheet: 18
  • And Justice for All!
  • League Affiliation: Ohio Roller Girls
  • Referee Certification Level: Not Certified
  • NSO Certification Level: Level 2
Waving off the 3rd skater in the penalty box
« on: December 22, 2013, 06:43:33 pm »
I got some very good feedback on my PBM'ing this year and one thing that was noted was I needed to do a better job of quickly informing skaters to return to the track if the penalty box is full.

7.2.3.3 says "If there are already two Blockers in the box from the penalized Blocker’s team, the third Blocker will be waved off by the penalty timer. If there are less than 10 seconds left on penalties currently being served, the penalty timer will hold the third Blocker in the box and start timing the penalty."

So I wait until the reporting skater actually enters the box before I wave her off based on 7.2.3.3 telling us to hold the skater in the box if there is less than 10 seconds left on a current penalty (meaning that 3rd skater should be in the penalty box when that determination is made).  I am wondering if thats not quite the correct way to do it.

So I guess my question is "Does a skater have to report to the box to be waved off from the box?"  Or is acceptable to wave off a skater who basically skates right past the box at full speed, knowing she is going to get waved off?  That could explain why I got the feedback that I did.

Thanks for your help!
Timothy T. Justice
Ohio Roller Girls Head of Officiating 2011-2013
Retired Level 3 Skating Official
WFTDA Rules Theory Clerk

Offline FNZebra

• Superhero Member
  • Stats Sheet: 35
  • I'm a shitty ref.
  • League Affiliation: Bleeding Heartland Roller Derby
Re: Waving off the 3rd skater in the penalty box
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2013, 09:44:32 pm »
tt, here's how I try to do that as PBM, when circumstances permit. At 2012 SC regionals, Tenacious D-Cup & Sum Dump Stir were doing this without my prompting, or my fully realizing what they were doing (a tribute to the quality of them and their head NSOs!). At 2013 D2 Kzoo, when I was more clued, I made it a point to ask this of Screama Donna, Diamond Dust, and Circuit Broad, who were the rest of our PB crew.

Presumptions and pre-bout prep:

PB is on straight between starting lines. Two Blockers for one team already seated. At least one of the PB staff notices the penalized Blocker from that team has just been called off. (Yes, or a Pivot may be in there somewhere, and sometimes everyone in PB staff is really busy at exactly the wrong time, and no one notices the approaching skater early. Happens. boo.).

I encourage my PB staff to be chatty, and for any of us to vocalize "team color, position (number, if we can get it), Inbound" when a penalty is called and the skater has been directed off. This helps everyone on PB staff.

I speak with my PBTimers before the bout, so we have an agreed upon communication between us, if they estimate the arriving Blocker will get to the box with about 12 seconds (barely 13ish is cool, in reality) or so remaining on the first penalized Blocker. Yes, this is more than 10 seconds, bear with me. By working together as a team, we can properly be waving a skater into the box to report as a teammate is just starting to stand. Or else, we will know, as a PB team, that the reporting skater should be queued.

Gameplay:

Inbound Blocker... At this point, as that skater in turn 4, I  should be pointing at them (or their team's PBT will, if I'm busy with Jammer(s)) and making eye contact, to let them know we see them approaching. I'll invoke our agreed upon method among the PB crew. If there are more than 12ish seconds remaining, I'll make certain to get their skater number, vocalize that, and wave them off from the box by the time they are near the Jammer line (that's my goal). Then I'm reaching for my PB whiteboard, once I verify they are headed back on. If there are 12ish seconds or fewer, I will be waving them into the box, even if a teammate isn't standing yet.

Why?!? OMG!!! A teammate isn't standing! There isn't room yet!

Because in my experience, it usually takes a couple seconds for teammates to doe-si-doe around each other in the confines of the box, even if one of them is already standing. It is the job of the PB crew to know when a seat WILL BE available, and to anticipate correctly the arrival of a reporting skater. Or to obtain the skater number and wave them off as early as possible.

IMO, PB staff should be as invisible as possible, and minimize the impact of their duties upon the gameplay. In conversations with Level 4 & 5 NSOs, they agree that having an inbound Blocker standing next to a just-starting-to-stand teammate in the box is a Good Thing™.
You will bout as you practice.

Cheers,

FN Zebra
Bleeding Heartland Roller Derby (WFTDA)
Bloomington, Indianer

Offline Megapickle

• Stats Sheet: 16
  • League Affiliation: Emerald City Roller Girls & Lane County Concussion
  • NSO Certification Level: Not Certified
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2013, 10:04:52 pm »
Oh hell yes, what FN said!

And just to clarify the answer given to one of your direct questions: NO, the incoming skater does not need to physically step inside the box in order to have "reported". Proximity/approach + eye-contact is sufficient on their end to prompt you to give the "Return to the track" cue & reach for your queue board.

Offline ttjustice

• Stats Sheet: 18
  • And Justice for All!
  • League Affiliation: Ohio Roller Girls
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2013, 04:33:45 pm »
Awesome, thanks guys!  More homework for the offseason.

Sum Dump Stir was with OHRG so you can thank Kill C and Deadeye for his excellence.  He retired last year.
Timothy T. Justice
Ohio Roller Girls Head of Officiating 2011-2013
Retired Level 3 Skating Official
WFTDA Rules Theory Clerk

Offline FNZebra

• Superhero Member
  • Stats Sheet: 35
  • I'm a shitty ref.
  • League Affiliation: Bleeding Heartland Roller Derby
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2013, 02:00:26 am »
Sum Dump Stir was with OHRG so you can thank Kill C and Deadeye for his excellence.  He retired last year.

Oh, I know his lineage, and can recite it at the feasts. I await his un-retirement and Phoenix-like rising, when the economy stops not "not tanking".
You will bout as you practice.

Cheers,

FN Zebra
Bleeding Heartland Roller Derby (WFTDA)
Bloomington, Indianer

Offline Seán-Quad

• Stats Sheet: 0
  • League Affiliation: Rose City Rollers
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2013, 07:24:08 am »
NO, the incoming skater does not need to physically step inside the box in order to have "reported". Proximity/approach + eye-contact is sufficient on their end to prompt you to give the "Return to the track" cue & reach for your queue board.

If I am managing the box, this will be at my discretion, not the penalized skater. It's not ok with me if the skater determines on her own that the box is full and just skates on by.

Seán-Quad

Offline Darkjester

• Has Too Much Damn Time Member
  • Stats Sheet: 39
  • "When in doubt, RTFM"
  • League Affiliation: Beach Brawl SK8R Dolls
  • NSO Certification Level: Not Certified
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2013, 04:28:19 am »
I don't think thats what MP was saying, Rather that making the eye contact and giving them the 'return to the track' signal was his declaration that they had successfully reported.

As long as you get the Skaters Color/Number, You can wave them before they even reach the box.
Madness Tolls
69¢
Beach Brawl Sk8R Dolls
Fort Walton Beach FL

Featured Product

Zebra Huddle Head Referee Bout Booklet

Featured Classifieds

ZH Files

How to Score a Point in Roller Derby
Rating: *****
Downloads: 3492
Views: 6313
Filesize: 327.61KB
Date: January 17, 2017, 04:21:03 am
Comments (0)
By: AdamSmasher
June 2013 Ruleset situational questions
Downloads: 2504
Views: 5178
Filesize: 29.71KB
Date: February 07, 2014, 04:57:32 pm
Comments (2)
By: Crash Test Ref
Rules Q&A and Publications for 6/15/13 Document
Rating: (None)
Downloads: 2695
Views: 5787
Filesize: 26.27KB
Date: August 02, 2013, 04:10:40 pm
Comments (0)
By: Shaun Ketterman
Rules Q&A and Publications for 1/1/13 Document (4/24/13 Updates)
Downloads: 3478
Views: 5772
Filesize: 28.07KB
Date: April 25, 2013, 05:45:34 pm
Comments (0)
By: Shaun Ketterman